Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-29-2019, 06:39 PM   #18451
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Is that the aroma of common core math I smell?

Ding ding ding.

Even most teachers (wife included) despise it. My son will wind up in tears because he knows the answer, but cannot comprehend the "show your work in [random inane method 24C]"
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:23 AM   #18452
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So I guess I'm supposed to be offended by Dr Phil cause my daughter actually goes to Slippery Rock University?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:34 AM   #18453
PilotMan
Head Coach

I have a lack of commitment/over commitment problem.

I struggle to commit to things knowing how much time they will take up and pull back from a lot of situations because 'busy', but on the flip side, when I do commit, I dive deep and go nuts to do the best I can.

It keeps me from being happy with just doing what I can, and it keeps me from enjoying even things I really like, because I'm afraid that I'll get bogged down and miss out on something else I was supposed to do.

Anyone else understand this?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 04-30-2019 at 11:34 AM.
PilotMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:02 PM   #18454
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I have a lack of commitment/over commitment problem.

I struggle to commit to things knowing how much time they will take up and pull back from a lot of situations because 'busy', but on the flip side, when I do commit, I dive deep and go nuts to do the best I can.

It keeps me from being happy with just doing what I can, and it keeps me from enjoying even things I really like, because I'm afraid that I'll get bogged down and miss out on something else I was supposed to do.

Anyone else understand this?

YES!

To me, I call it my Hobby Flavor of the Month. Building LEGO sets one time, Photography next time. Board Game phase. Now it's designing marketing materials for my daughter's school's upcoming charity golf tournament. Including planning a videography shoot for a promo spot for future golf events.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:03 PM   #18455
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
So I guess I'm supposed to be offended by Dr Phil

Yes
Old 04-30-2019, 04:45 PM   #18456
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Ding ding ding.

Even most teachers (wife included) despise it. My son will wind up in tears because he knows the answer, but cannot comprehend the "show your work in [random inane method 24C]"

I actually found the "random inane methods" to actually contribute to meaningful learning rather than rote memorization.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:26 PM   #18457
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I actually found the "random inane methods" to actually contribute to meaningful learning rather than rote memorization.

Interesting. Our new Republic governor is trying to end Common Core in the state of Florida, but he is finding there's a roadblock: the teachers.

Keep Common Core school standards, many teachers tell state in survey - Orlando Sentinel
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:04 PM   #18458
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The math is the problem. Whatever to the rest of the stuff
Old 05-02-2019, 12:20 AM   #18459
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Today I had my first day of work in about a decade.

I've got one of those chronic pain/fatigue syndromes, and about 10 years ago my grandad passed and left me enough resources that I thought I'd try to just to try to repair myself through some hardcore R&R which surely sounds terrific, but in hindsight was a pretty horrible decision, because without any structure I just ended up isolating myself and all those issues got worse instead of better.

A few months ago I cobbled up enough energy to start a job search and probably went through 10 interviews and like 20-30 phone screens/interviews. Ironically, that degree of constant pressure and/or low-level rejection is something that would/did terrify me, but it actually ended up being somewhat therapeutic for my pessimism to have to repeatedly face such anxieties and not have the world end.

Since I hadn't worked in so long I cast a pretty wide net and was pretty much looking at relatively entry level stuff in no particular industry...but that's not what I ended up with, as I only received one offer out of all those interviews, but it was for the absolute best, long-shot position I looked at, as a QA Analyst at a small software shop that I can walk to in 20 minutes. Go figure.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:12 AM   #18460
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Today I had my first day of work in about a decade.

I've got one of those chronic pain/fatigue syndromes, and about 10 years ago my grandad passed and left me enough resources that I thought I'd try to just to try to repair myself through some hardcore R&R which surely sounds terrific, but in hindsight was a pretty horrible decision, because without any structure I just ended up isolating myself and all those issues got worse instead of better.

A few months ago I cobbled up enough energy to start a job search and probably went through 10 interviews and like 20-30 phone screens/interviews. Ironically, that degree of constant pressure and/or low-level rejection is something that would/did terrify me, but it actually ended up being somewhat therapeutic for my pessimism to have to repeatedly face such anxieties and not have the world end.

Since I hadn't worked in so long I cast a pretty wide net and was pretty much looking at relatively entry level stuff in no particular industry...but that's not what I ended up with, as I only received one offer out of all those interviews, but it was for the absolute best, long-shot position I looked at, as a QA Analyst at a small software shop that I can walk to in 20 minutes. Go figure.

Congrats and I hope this leads to more success.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:13 AM   #18461
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Congrats and I hope this leads to more success.

Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:34 PM   #18462
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Literally cannot go one day without the news or some online article about the avengers and whatnot. Spoliers, etc.

Today it was announced that it passed Titanic for #2 all time grossing film.

I never saw Titanic in the theater and probably went 5-10 years after it was released to finally get around to watching it. Thinking VHS or maybe a laserdisc.

Curious as to what the highest grossing film of all time I did a quick search.

That came out in 2009, still haven't seen it.
Started looking over the list of the big money films and was shocked.
18 of the top 20 films were out inside the last 8 years. Economy + prices of tickets being higher, 3d, IMAX, etc. I get it.

Titanic and Avatar were the only 'older' ones that were released before 2011.

Titanic is the only one Ive seen of the top 22.

Like ever. Again, that was probably 8 years or so after it was released.

The highest grossing film I watched in the theater?

2012 The Dark Knight Rises.

Also, I have four flatscreens in the living room and full DTV package that runs me 250 a month with every movie channel available.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:44 AM   #18463
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
Titanic is the only one Ive seen of the top 22.

Well you know that shit was gonna make ME curious.

Going from the list on Wiki, I saw one of the Top 25 (#4 SW: Force Awakens) in a theater. Oddly (maybe) I also saw 28,29, and 30 in theater I think. (Toy Story 3, PotC: Dead Man's Chest, and SW: Rogue One)

Aside from maybe bits & pieces while channel surfing I don't believe I've ever watched any of the other Top 30 entirely.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:13 AM   #18464
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Well you know that shit was gonna make ME curious.

I had to get to #49 before I found a movie I had ever seen..and it wasnt in theaters.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:24 AM   #18465
molson
General Manager

I've seen 22 of the top 50 worldwide grossing films. My average is damaged by my general disinterest in superhero movies (though I've seen a bunch of them too).

So I've missed some blockbusters over the years, but I do love to go to the movies. In the moviepass/Sinemia 18-month era that just ended (RIP Sinemia), I went probably 3-5 times a month, sometimes more. Before that, usually twice a month or so. Now without a subscription service, it's going to be rough to not be able to go quite as often. Fortunately I do live across the street from a second-run theater, and live in a city where first-run movies are much cheaper than the national average.

I barely watch movies at home. It's just not the same to me, even with a decent TV.

Last edited by molson : 05-06-2019 at 11:25 AM.
molson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:37 PM   #18466
Radii
Head Coach

I've seen 15 of the top 50. Only 4 in theaters.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:45 PM   #18467
Kodos
Resident Alien

Furious 7 at #8 was the highest that I hadn't seen. (I've never seen any of the Fast & Furious movies.) Overall, I've seen 30 of the top 50 grossing movies. I'm not positive, but I think I didn't see Skyfall.

Last edited by Kodos : 05-06-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:09 PM   #18468
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I've seen 37 of the top 50. 35 of them in theaters.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:16 PM   #18469
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Furious 7 at #8 was the highest that I hadn't seen. (I've never seen any of the Fast & Furious movies.) ll.

Remedy this
Old 05-06-2019, 03:18 PM   #18470
Kodos
Resident Alien

Certainly not. They look like incredibly dumb movies. Along with the Transformers movies on the list that I've never seen.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:28 PM   #18471
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Certainly not. They look like incredibly dumb movies. Along with the Transformers movies on the list that I've never seen.

I saw part of one on Cable once and that was enough. I was incredibly dumb. I, also, saw the first Transformer movie. That was, also, incredibly dumb and more than enough.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:28 PM   #18472
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Naw, he's correct. They're better than the Transformer moviea by a mile. The first, fourth and fifth ones were the best, IMO. Hasn't been the same since Paul Walker died, though. It's a lot more cartoonish now. The ones since Brazil have been fun to watch but not nearly as emotionally appealing.

I ignore the fact 2 and 3 exist. You can go from to 1 to 4, skip the two in between and keep up.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:44 PM   #18473
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I’ve never seen 2. Tokyo Drift is ok. You also gotta watch in some weird kamikaze order where TD comes after 5 I think.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:55 PM   #18474
21C
College Prospect

I've had an old Logitech Marble Mouse at home for ages that I really love. I thought about getting one for work but decided to buy something that has been released more recently. I ended up getting an Elecom trackball mouse that has the trackball controlled by the thumb rather than being located on the top like the old Logitech.

It is taking me forever to get used to the new position. It's almost like learning how to walk again. You don't realize how much this arm action is ingrained into you until you have change it ever so slightly.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:55 PM   #18475
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

This is like a real life Onion article... WTF?!

https://www.businessinsider.com/liqu...essario-2019-5

Quote:
With $1.6 million in fresh seed funding led by Science Inc., co-founder and CEO Mike Cessario is ready to bring Liquid Death, his direct-to-consumer canned water startup, to prime time. That's right: Despite the name, Liquid Death is nothing but good old fashioned H2O, served in a tallboy can.

Quote:
Cessario's "straight edge" contemporaries were looking for a water brand that spoke to them, instead of to "Whole Foods yoga moms," as he puts it. Straight-edge punks are completely sober, Cessario said, but still otherwise all-in on the punk lifestyle.

Quote:
Aside from Liquid Death's marketing, Cessario believes the punk community will also appreciate the brand's eco-conscious stance. According to Cessario, aluminum cans are cooler looking than boxed or bottled water, and also more environmentally friendly. Liquid Death plans to donate $0.05 from every can sold to help clean up plastic garbage from the ocean.

"If you think about it, it makes sense, everything metal and punk is extreme," Cessario said. "Being vegan is extreme, protesting the deforestation is extreme. There are more vegans at a heavy metal show than Taylor Swift show. We are by far the most sustainable option for packaged water, which is a big driver for why people want to buy from us."

What in the fuck... I just can't... Wow.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:45 PM   #18476
cuervo72
Head Coach

Old 05-07-2019, 10:30 PM   #18477
PilotMan
Head Coach

The new Pokemon movie is the first throwback movie (as in appealing to kids who grew up with it) that doesn't ring any bells for me. I was beyond that stage when that was the big thing and have no connection to it at all. I'm too old now to give a shit about a throwback movie. Get off MY LAWN!

Like Steam?

Old 05-07-2019, 10:57 PM   #18478
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It looks funny as hell and I have no Pokemon interest otherwise
Old 05-08-2019, 08:44 AM   #18479
spleen1015
Coordinator

Basketball & baseball are really starting to become uninteresting to me.

With basketball everyone wants to shoot 3s. Players are passing up close shots or even layups to pass it out for someone to shoot a 3.

With baseball the focus has turned to homeruns and batting averages are pretty low.

This HR philosophy has even creeped into softball. One of the college coaches interested in my daughter would much rather she strike out trying to hit a HR with runners on 2nd & 3rd with 1 out than hit a groundball to 2B and scoring a run.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:28 AM   #18480
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Basketball & baseball are really starting to become uninteresting to me.

With basketball everyone wants to shoot 3s. Players are passing up close shots or even layups to pass it out for someone to shoot a 3.

With baseball the focus has turned to homeruns and batting averages are pretty low.

I second this...
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:43 AM   #18481
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
I second this...

Big reason that Brewers/Mets game went 18 innings last week.

Like Steam?

Old 05-08-2019, 10:58 AM   #18482
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

TBH, the everyone shooting 3s makes it super fun for me. I've never been a basketball fan, but it feels more 'arcade-y' - I can see how people who have been fans for a while would hate it though.

Though it does make sense to do so when one looks at the numbers.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:25 PM   #18483
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Are people who pay a premium for subscriptions to random boxes of 'curated' dogshit morons that should be shot into the sun for the good of society or just plain old everyday morons?
Old 05-09-2019, 05:29 PM   #18484
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

So me and the wife are doing a wine festival thing in a few weeks. I remembered someone in our neighborhood runs a limo service, so looked up their site.

They don't run a limo service. They run a mercenary outfit who happens to drive limos.

"All drivers have been vetted and trained by Police Academy’s, Military and other Government agencies, and have training in first aid, firearms and conflict resolution."
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:07 PM   #18485
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Why is it so hard to just eat a salad for lunch at my.house on a Saturday? Have no problem at work all week but its rough here with all the other possibilities staring me in the face.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:23 PM   #18486
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Why is it so hard to just eat a salad for lunch at my.house on a Saturday? Have no problem at work all week but its rough here with all the other possibilities staring me in the face.

i have that same problem. There is a voice of significant volume telling me I don't want to eat anything resembling salad at home, regardless of how/what I eat in other environs. It also says shit like "Of course you can eat ice cream for dinner"

Last edited by thesloppy : 05-11-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:19 PM   #18487
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Does anyone sleep with a weighted blanket?
Old 05-11-2019, 01:33 PM   #18488
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My town is enacting a ban on plastic bags and man are people freaking out.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:12 PM   #18489
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:

Got my son one for his birthday and he loves it.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:43 PM   #18490
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Sure ... if you count the cat laying on it.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:56 PM   #18491
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I sleep with a weighted blanket AND a pregnancy pillow. I couldn't live without either, but I also wake up in a puddle of sweat every morning.

Last edited by thesloppy : 05-11-2019 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:18 AM   #18492
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

my son, the one with serious ADHD asked for one for his birthday 2 years ago, and he absolutely loves it. The ADHD used to really hamper his ability to sleep, but the blanket really helps him relax.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:07 AM   #18493
Edward64
Head Coach

My wife is a special ed teacher and she has sewn her own weighted blankets for the kids.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:45 PM   #18494
sabotai
General Manager

I really fucking hate computers sometimes. Just spent the afternoon trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with mine. Taking it apart and putting it back together a few times, either a stick of RAM went bad or the motherboard is starting to go. But that wasn't the only issue. I'm hoping the other issue was just a loose connection somewhere. After I took it all apart and put it back together the first time, it booted up for a second longer than before.

Of course, the issue arose Friday, and I thought it was 90% the power supply. Fortunately they delivered my new power supply that I didn't fucking need (maybe, apparently, I don't know) today. 2 days without my desktop and the morning-afternoon taking it apart partially or fully three or four times.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:08 PM   #18495
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I really fucking hate computers sometimes. Just spent the afternoon trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with mine. Taking it apart and putting it back together a few times, either a stick of RAM went bad or the motherboard is starting to go. But that wasn't the only issue. I'm hoping the other issue was just a loose connection somewhere. After I took it all apart and put it back together the first time, it booted up for a second longer than before.

Of course, the issue arose Friday, and I thought it was 90% the power supply. Fortunately they delivered my new power supply that I didn't fucking need (maybe, apparently, I don't know) today. 2 days without my desktop and the morning-afternoon taking it apart partially or fully three or four times.

I feel for ya. I absolutely can't stand when something inexplicably goes wrong with my computer, at home or at work. At home, I do like you and assume my old machine is starting to give up the ghost and go to find a replacement part or cross my fingers that shutting it off for a day will make it better.

At work, I get a lot more irritated brcause A) I need the computer to do my job right away but tech help is never right away, and B) I know if I try to mess with it myself and screw it up, I could get in trouble.

I know it's an irrational irritation at work, so I try to get calm again but it's sometimes hard to get rid of the frustration

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 05-12-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:31 PM   #18496
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I miss Sunday football
Old 05-13-2019, 10:20 AM   #18497
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Big reason that Brewers/Mets game went 18 innings last week.

And the Brewers went 15 with the Cubs this weekend in a 1-2 loss, decided by nothing less than a solo HR.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:48 PM   #18498
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I can’t believe they made that Aladdin movie.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:46 AM   #18500
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm guessing maybe it's an age thing? Cause I remember it (once prompted anyway).