Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-12-2003, 11:43 PM   #1
Schmidty
Coordinator

Really strange computer problem....

...and I am stumped.

Here's the problem: Every time I move my keyboard, my computer shuts off. It just randomly started happening today and I have no idea why.

I have tried many things to figure out why this is happening. I've made sure that the keyboard chord isn't touching anything that would cause the power to turn off if moved. I've checked the power supply and it's chord. I've tried plugging the computer into a different outlet. I've checked the drivers for the keyboard. I've unplugged and cleaned every chord and connection to the computer, and then organized them so that they weren't touching each other.

No matter what I do, the problem keeps happening.

Any suggestions?

Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 11:48 PM   #2
Craptacular
College Starter

Can you try hooking up a different keyboard? This is one I've never heard before.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 11:51 PM   #3
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

if you jiggle just the keyboard cable (not the keyboard itself) does it still shut down?

could there be a short in the keyboard/cable that's screwing up the power? odd, that's really fucked up.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:02 AM   #4
Schmidty
Coordinator

I'm going to bring another keyboard home from work and see that makes any difference.

This is really pissing me off because it's such a wierd problem.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:05 AM   #5
mckerney
Coordinator

Are you able to turn your computer on right away after it shuts down, or are you unable to at first?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 12:07 AM   #6
Airhog
Captain Obvious

hmm sounds like you have a keyboard with a power off button on it. thats probably the only thing that could cause it. Try pluggin in another keyboard and see if that fixes it. If not, you might have a problem with your motherboard

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 12:10 AM   #7
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by mckerney
Are you able to turn your computer on right away after it shuts down, or are you unable to at first?

Sometimes it'll come right back on, and sometimes I have to wait a few seconds or plug the computer into a different outlet.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:14 AM   #8
mckerney
Coordinator

Hmmm......

I may be way off base, but on the back of your computer there should be a red switch which I believe is something like voltage settings. May be a power type problem, so it may help the next time it shuts down to shift the switch to the other side. At the very least, this may allow you to turn on the computer right away.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:25 AM   #9
mckerney
Coordinator

Dola:

Just out of curiousity, I'm guessing that you're using a PS/2 keyboard and not a USB keyboard.

Last edited by mckerney : 06-13-2003 at 12:30 AM.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:35 AM   #10
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Hmmm......

I may be way off base, but on the back of your computer there should be a red switch which I believe is something like voltage settings. May be a power type problem, so it may help the next time it shuts down to shift the switch to the other side. At the very least, this may allow you to turn on the computer right away.

Correct.

Edit: I quoted the wrong person here. Oops. My answer of "correct" was directed toward the person who asked me if I was using a PS/2 as opposed to a USB.

Last edited by Schmidty : 06-13-2003 at 06:18 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 12:40 AM   #11
mckerney
Coordinator

But that still doesn't fix the problem most likely. It would seem to be a problem with the power supply being overloaded or shorted through the PS/2 or USB port (again, assuming that's what you're using). I believe it would be unlikely that it would be a problem with the power supply, which would likely leave a problem in the PS/2 or USB port, or some sort of problem with power in the keyboard (less likely, I think).

If at all possible, try a keyboard that's the opposite of the connection your using.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:46 AM   #12
mckerney
Coordinator

If you're the kind of nerd that, like this guy, has several keyboards you would be able to plug you'd easily be able to test if it was somehow in the keyboard, port, or somewhere else. If your not, then what the hell are you doing with your life?
Old 06-13-2003, 03:57 PM   #13
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I'm dying to hear how this turned out
Old 06-13-2003, 06:19 PM   #14
Schmidty
Coordinator

I switched the keyboard to a USB port and the problem disappeared.

Wierd.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:44 PM   #15
mckerney
Coordinator

Most likely it was a power surge problem with the PS/2 port your keyboard was connected to if your using the same keyboard, just through USB. If your computer would still be under warrenty you might want to have it looked at if possible, but if you can use USB connection from now on you may not want to bother as long as the problem goes away.
Old 06-14-2003, 12:00 AM   #16
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Most likely it was a power surge problem with the PS/2 port your keyboard was connected to if your using the same keyboard, just through USB. If your computer would still be under warrenty you might want to have it looked at if possible, but if you can use USB connection from now on you may not want to bother as long as the problem goes away.

I built my computer up from a bare bones configuration that I bought, so a warrenty isn't an option. Luckily, switching to the USB port worked, so I don't have to worry about that right now.

Thanks for everyone's help.