Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-15-2003, 03:05 PM   #1
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Ping: Senator

Terror System Flags 'David Nelsons'

Excerpt:
"Melendez described the selectee list as "very dynamic and always changing. It's really not even a list at all."
"He said a red flag is triggered when a passenger does something unusual -- buying a ticket with cash, for example, or purchasing a one-way ticket. He maintained that there are no actual names -- such as "David Nelson" -- on the list.
"That contradicts the description law enforcement sources have given of selectee lists that contain reams of names tagged for extra questioning.
"It also defies the TSA's own private descriptions. According to memos obtained under the Freedom of Information Act by the Washington, D.C., nonprofit group the Electronic Privacy Information Center, the TSA itself describes the selectee register as "the list of persons whom air carriers are required to 'select' for additional security screening prior to boarding."

Part of the rift in society's perception of the Administration's motives is due exactly to things like this: we don't like being lied to. When caught continually in lies, it makes the messages and motives claimed by the powers that be extremely difficult to trust. If it's a national security issue, can't Melendez just say "Yes, there's a list. No, we're not releasing the names that are on it because of national security issues." Seems like that would cut right to the chase, instead of making our citizens feel like the TSA is operating like a malign Santa Claus.

Seems to me that perhaps part of the problem is the TSA doesn't want to expose itself to lawsuits, and so plausible deniability is their strategy. The problem is that they haven't worked the kinks out of the "plausible" part yet.

NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 05:14 PM   #2
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

There is was this guy in grade school who beat me out for the blonde girl of my dreams. I vowed revenge. His name. David Nelson. Who is laughing now???

But seriously. This is a sector I do not have anything to do with, and stay out of. I am more in the operational side and making sure the airports have what they need to do what is required. Otherwise I would make a long winded rebuttal, or say I am not allowed to speak about it. (the usual response.)
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 06:03 PM   #3
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

lol

Understood. Just wanted to do my part to insist on our higher-ups doing what's right.
Old 06-15-2003, 06:21 PM   #4
Senator

Don't take my evasion for a non caring attitude. I have always tried my entire life to do what is right. My whole purpose is that when I am done with anything, no matter what it is, they will say I was honest and did a good job. That is very important to me.

Let me say that there are some very good people involved in this thing that have the same way of thinking. We have our internal battles, but I can say, that for the most part everyone wants the same thing, and strives for the same perfection of duty.

Now, do I agree with everything that goes on? No, of course not, but we/I fight our battles, and in the end we hope we can make a postive difference. If I did not think I was doing something of value and real purpose for the security of this nation, I would leave and pursue other interest.

I love when people insist on anyone with power do what is right. That means they still care about it, and that is a very good thing.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Old 06-15-2003, 10:59 PM   #5
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Oh, I didn't take it that way.

I agree with your assessment, and have always thought that you seemed like a good person...it's part of why I pinged you with this and raised my concern, because I knew you'd listen.

As I've said before, I'm glad that you're one of the important cogs in the machine, and I think it's crucial that people like you are working for what is good and right with our country. Because we can get it right, darn it, and it hurts me when we get it wrong. With more folk like you I think we'd get much more right.
Old 06-15-2003, 11:07 PM   #6
JW
College Prospect

Senator, do you actually think airport security has improved significantly, Many critics argue that while the appearance of security has improved, that airports are still almost as vulnerable as in the past.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 07:00 AM   #7
Senator

NoMyths,

I thank you for those very kind words.

JW,

I do think they are safer and they have improved significantly. Let me give you an example. About 3 years ago I had a friend who was getting married in Las Vegas. His mother was afraid of flying so I rode with her as we drove from Texas. Big mistake. It was the longest trip of my life. My friend told me to take his sisters ticket and fly back to Texas after the wedding, and she would drive back with his mom. I used his sisters ticket, and I was never checked or questioned once about it. That could never happen now.

I am not going to sit here in good concious and say that we are golden and nothing can ever happen. I am saying we are making a concerted effort, more so than ever before in the age of flight, to insure physical safety for those who fly from other passengers who wish them ill. That is tall order, considering how many people fly a day. But sometimes appearances are NOT deceiving. There have been HUGE strides made, and I can sleep well knowing we have made a difference. But the work is not done. This is all a new thing to everyone. Mistakes will be made, but we have to fix the problem and learn from them. It is a growing process. There are always people who criticize from the sidelines. Then there are the people who are made of action who get the job done. I prefer the latter.

On top of this is the question of subways, ports, bus lines, ect.. that must still be addressed in the long term protection picture.

Vulnerable is a relative term. Are we vulnerable as in the past? No way.

Old 06-16-2003, 11:06 AM   #8
JW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by Senator

JW,

I do think they are safer and they have improved significantly.

Thanks for the detailed response. I appreciate it.

In general I think that we have not done enough to improve America's security, though I do think we have made great strides. I know a balance must be struck between security needs and what the public will accept, and that many other factors fall into play. It is a complicated problem, and we can never be entirely safe from terrorism. Thanks again for the response.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 02:10 PM   #9
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Senator, if you have been around awhile, and especially if you are, or are very familiar with any Dems ( if you are a Repub., my apologies for not having been around very long/ not knowing), do you know Billy Moore (worked in DC for Bentsen and whomever)?