Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-20-2003, 10:05 AM   #1
Easy Mac

The Duke Curse Strikes Again

Linky

The guys just can't stay healthy. First Hurley, then Hill, now Williams.

Chicago Bulls point guard Jay Williams is hospitalized in Chicago after suffering injuries in a motorcycle accident Thursday evening, the team has confirmed.

A Bulls spokesman said the club will not reveal the exact nature of the injuries until the extent of Williams' injuries are determined. ESPN's Ric Bucher reports that Williams suffered leg and pelvic bone injuries, and The Associated Press is reporting that Williams broke his leg. The team won't verify those reports.

"He's OK, but to the extent of the leg injury, we don't want to speculate,'' Bulls spokesman Tim Hallam said.

Williams' father, David, said his son was expected to be in surgery for three or four hours.

No citations were issued as a result of the accident. Team spokesman Brandon Faber said Jay Williams recently bought the motorcycle.

Williams, the second overall pick in the 2002 NBA draft, averaged 9.5 points and 4.7 assists in a somewhat rocky rookie season. At times, the former Duke star clashed with Bulls coach Bill Cartwright over the restrictions imposed by the triangle offense.

Recently, the Chicago Sun-Times reported that Williams, 21, might start in the backcourt next season with Jamal Crawford, the Bulls' other point guard.

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 10:49 AM   #2
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I am glad that it looks like he was not seriously injured.

I hope that he can make a quick and full recovery.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 11:07 AM   #3
Easy Mac

Kornheiser reported about 15 minutes ago that Bulls GM John Paxon released a statement saying that the Bulls organization prayers were with the Williams family. The statement they read definintely sounded worse than a broken leg. I guess we'll find out more later.
Old 06-20-2003, 01:16 PM   #4
JeeberD
General Manager

From what I've heard it both a broken leg and pelvic injuries. He had to spend something like five hours in surgery, and it sounds like it could be rather serious. I hope he can recover from this, he was one of the very few Duke guys that I have ever liked...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 01:43 PM   #5
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Jay tend to have a big mouth but he really was a good kid. Here in Chicago I'm hearing that this injury is career-threatening, which is horrible.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 07:49 PM   #6
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

It is now deemed career but not life threatening...I ask you, why, at the very start of your career would you even think to do something like this...it boggles the mind how people with so much talent and money do things to risk their careers for pointless excursions...couldn't he have put off biking until later in his career...I mean how long do NBA'ers last aside from the likes of Jordan and Stockton, most guys are gone quick...
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 09:36 PM   #7
Easy Mac

Karl Malone is a biker, no one complains about that. Does your boss tell you to put your life on hold on your vacation.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:46 PM   #8
tucker342
Pro Starter

I'm glad that it wasn't any worse than it was, glad he didn't die...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 11:06 PM   #9
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Mac
Karl Malone is a biker, no one complains about that. Does your boss tell you to put your life on hold on your vacation.

My boss isnt paying me millions of dollars a year to play a game. If I got 3 million a year to play solitare at work I would think twice about what I do in my spare time.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:29 PM   #10
Daimyo
College Starter

This is sad, although I never really liked him as a basketball player. Sadly he doesn't seem the type to have any NBA career at all if he loses a step athletically... doesn't seem to be a very good shooter at all from what little I've seen of him.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 12:10 AM   #11
mckerney
Coordinator

Quite a tragedy from the sounds of it, though I thought most professional athletes had clauses in their contract stating that they couldn't do several dangerous things, motorcycle riding being a common one of those. I know it's always common to say "at least he's alive" and such when someone suffers an injury of this sort when they may not be able to play again, though if he can't I really feel bad for him, understanding the love for the game and all he's put into it.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 12:15 PM   #12
JeeberD
General Manager

And at least he has his education to fall back on. Unlike many a NBA player, Jason graduated from Duke (and in only three years, too!!!).

If his career is truly over, I'm sure that he'll be successful in some other field...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 01:37 AM   #13
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

That's what I was thinking too, Mckerney. I'm certain that the #2 pick in the draft would have such a clause. I thought it was pretty much standard fare in any big contract. I'm sort of curious as to the payout, seeing as how, and I'm assuming there was this clause, the clause was violated & resulted in a career ending injury. That's a part of the story I'm sure we won't hear about for years though.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote