Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-22-2003, 04:18 PM   #1
Logan
Head Coach

OT: World Series Baseball 2k3 (PS2)

Apologies for not posting this in the console game forum, but it doesn't get much traffic. If anyone objects, I'll move it over there...

Has anyone gotten/played this game? I love it. Easily my favorite baseball game in a long time. I started getting bored with OOTP and was craving a game I can actually play.

The batter/pitcher interface is well done. Hard at first, but once you learn it, its rewarding. Ball physics seem to be right on. One of the great things is how (once you become familar with batting) you can intentionally foul off those close 2-strike pitches with the way you aim the cursor and execute a swing. Very well done, IMO.

I've started up a franchise (2 actually--one I'm playing, one simming) and was surprised by how in-depth it is. You start off by hiring a manager, hitting, and pitching coach, along with a head scout and a minor leagues manager. They're graded in different ways and all lend themselves in the successes of your franchise. For example, you can divide your scouts time between your team, other teams, rookies, and foreign players. In my simming franchise, at a couple points throughout the year, I would get notifications saying "Your scout has found a prospect in Japan. Would you like to sign him?" Then it gives his vitals: Name, age, position, level of development (if hes raw, needs seasoning, etc) and the salary he would want (done in points, not $$). If you say yes, sometimes you'll get him, other times another team might get him instead. All in all, a very interesting and welcome addition.

Also, the trade AI in this game is surprisingly strong. I'll even go as far to say that its better than OOTP in many respects. Let me go into detail...

If you try and trade for a team's star player, you'll probably get responses like "We've built our team around Soriano/Oswalt/Guerrero. We won't trade him." Fair enough, and expected. But I was very surprised when I tried to acquire some bullpen help for my Mets. I decided I wanted Octavio Dotel, a young, hard throwing set up man who plays for the Astros. I offered up what I thought was a pretty fair deal, proposed it, and was met with, "Dotel is too valuable for our bullpen, we won't trade him." I was so shocked that a team would render a set-up guy as untouchable, but it made perfect sense. Why would a team trade a dominant, young, cheap set up man unless they were getting a Soriano-like player in return? I bet the same trade in a game like OOTP would go through... I love this!

One of the frequent criticisms for OOTP is how the game doesn't really distinguish between the "buyers and sellers" come around July 31. Meaning, teams that should be getting rid of veterans for promising youth either arent doing so, or will, but at the same will acquire a 35-year old average starting pitcher at the expense of giving a young guy a shot. This game really addresses that issue well. Throughout the season and especially in July, you'll see headlines in the "newspaper" along the lines of "The Tigers GM feels some players are dragging the team down and will be looking to make changes," or "The Reds are looking to improve for the stretch run." One of the best examples of this came in 2005 of my sim. A struggling Red Sox team sent a soon-to-be Free Agent Nomar Garciaparra to the Wild-card leading Marlins in exchange for a 19 year old SS with A potential, and two other young pitchers. Again...I love this!

Sorry for ranting on so long, but for those who are looking for a slightly different baseball experience than OOTP but still seek a serious franchise mode, I HIGHLY recommend this.

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 04:26 PM   #2
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I just bought the game last week for XBOX and I love it, after reading this post I can't wait to start a franchise. I just need to pick a team I guess.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 07:51 PM   #3
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Definitely gonna' check this out after your guys good reviews...

~rpi-fan
Old 06-22-2003, 09:09 PM   #4
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I just started a franchise with the Pirates, first game I won 10-3. With 5 HRs. Seems the Reds got pissed off because I was beating them badly, I ran a curve ball in on Kearns and hit him. Next inning first guy up gets a fastball right in the side. Of course I have to retaliate. So I drill Aaron Boone who charges the mound. Man this is realistic.

Oh yeah, Larkin got hurt the first play of the game. He's out two months, very realistic....being a Reds fan I know.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:31 PM   #5
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Larkin got hurt in the first week of my season too, only he was out for like 10 days. In a 20-game season, that's only like 3 games. 20-game seasons=many playoff chances//championships.

Maybe I'll try a dynasty mode on it. At least for fun. This game definitely has the best pitcher/batter interface of all the baseball games I've played this year (High Heat, MVP, Slugfest).

I need to pump up the difficulty, cuz I finally have a good handle on Pro. I'd get like 15 hits per game but only around 4 runs. Won first 6 games by a 1.2 run average, but the last game I put up 15. Time for All-Star!!!

Highly recommended.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 11:32 AM   #6
Calis
College Starter

So I take it you guys would say that WS2k3 pretty much takes the cake as best of the baseball bunch this year?

Just curious, because I'm going to buy an X-Box, was planning on doing it when NCAA 2004 comes out, but this sounds to be a really great game, so I think I might speed up that purchase to sometime in the next few days.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 11:56 AM   #7
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I'll happily sell my version of this game to the highest bidder.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 12:19 PM   #8
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

20 bucks (if it is PS2)

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 01:12 PM   #9
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I'm interested, but which version, GD?
Old 06-28-2003, 02:16 AM   #10
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I think I'll rent this one tomorrow.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 08:53 PM   #11
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Dola,

Just wanted to say "Thanks" to Logan. I really like MVP baseball, but the franchise mode is very limited, so I traded a few games in and got a used WSBB 2k3. So far, it's been a blast to play. My first game, I'm down 1-0 in the bottom of the 9th with Edmonds on second base, two outs. Pujols comes up and hits a walk off bomb to center for the win. I like the ESPN behind the pitcher view for pitching!

Thanks again,

Todd
Old 07-19-2003, 11:22 PM   #12
SackAttack
Head Coach

What the hell? I've only been raving about this game for 3 months and it's Logan who pushes you over the edge?

Logan - wait until you try to trade a player with high loyalty ratings...heheh.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 11:50 PM   #13
Philliesfan980
Banned

Just to revisit this topic.. someone said that the career options are better than OOTP?

Is this really true? (genuine question, not trying to be sarcastic). I've owned the game for XBOX for a few months, but never really got into it for various reasons (its too easy). But this game could have a new use if the managment options are realistic. Never played through a season to test them out.

I've heard good things about All Star Baseball 2004s managment options as well.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 01:29 AM   #14
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by SackAttack
What the hell? I've only been raving about this game for 3 months and it's Logan who pushes you over the edge?

Logan - wait until you try to trade a player with high loyalty ratings...heheh.

There's really nothing like coming home drunk and finding yourself thanked on a message board....

This game is, in a word, phenomenal. By the way, playing as the Mets, I traded for Delgado a while back. And heading into the first series with the Yankees, Carlos is riding a 48 game hitting streak. BTW, games 56 and 57 would be against the Yankees, in Yankee Stadium. How ridiculous would that be in real life?

Also...I lost starting 3B Ty Wigginton for a month earlier in the season (messed up his hammy). I traded a couple prospects for Shea Hillenbrand, who did a fantastic job filling in. So Ty gets healthy and is on fire when he gets back...every ball he hits is either over the fence or in the gap. So what does Ty do? Pulls his hammy again! Out 10 days. Do I DL him and lose him for those extra days or leave him on the roster and waste a roster spot?

Decisions, decisions...damn do I love this game. And damn did this take a long time to type so I wouldn't look like a drunken idiot...
Old 07-20-2003, 01:34 AM   #15
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Philliesfan980
Just to revisit this topic.. someone said that the career options are better than OOTP?

Is this really true? (genuine question, not trying to be sarcastic). I've owned the game for XBOX for a few months, but never really got into it for various reasons (its too easy). But this game could have a new use if the managment options are realistic. Never played through a season to test them out.

I've heard good things about All Star Baseball 2004s managment options as well.

Dola...this game is for real when it comes to the scouting, so that definitely lends itself to a solid career game.

Also, its very easy to find yourself burned long-term when your team suddenly has no BPs (WSB talk for $) left to sign its players. So that could be seen as a solid career sim feature.

For example, alongside the career that I play with the Mets, I sim a franchise with the Blue Jays. I spent three years "going for it all" and am so broke now, its ridiculous. The team is in serious trouble and will probably not be able to contend for several years...

Again...I LOVE this game...
Old 07-20-2003, 09:41 AM   #16
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Sorry SackAttack, I guess I got into MVP so quickly, I didn't try WSBB out until now.

This game has so much to offer in terms of management, I'm really surprised. You could sim your games and really get an ootp like feel, although I'm playing all my games out.

Now, if I could only run the bases a little smarter, I might win some more games.

Todd
Old 07-20-2003, 10:34 AM   #17
Philliesfan980
Banned

This is really inspiring. I thought that WSB didn't even come close to ASB as far as franchise options. I mean ASB has the rule 5 for gods sake. But I'm willing to listen, and I'm encouraged by the idea that WSB might be as good as OOTP statistically. (although I love OOTP, it doesn't do much statistically).

Now if we could only get a manage only mode I'd be in heaven.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:36 AM   #18
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
I mean ASB has the rule 5 for gods sake. But I'm willing to listen, and I'm encouraged by the idea that WSB might be as good as OOTP statistically. (although I love OOTP, it doesn't do much statistically).

Now if we could only get a manage only mode I'd be in heaven.

Ok, is it just me or is this not one of the oddest statements related to games on here in a while.....

Are "statistics" now required to have some additional talent now like singing and dancing instead of just sitting on the screen and looking pretty? Please elighten us.
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 11:51 AM   #19
Superman=#54
High School Varsity

I love playing the Reds at home. That park is so easy to hit home runs of.

Another thing about this game is that it probaly has the best graphics of all the PS2 baseball games this year. My only real complaint is the scheduling system when you are in a dynasty mode. You get the same damn schedule every year. Hopefully they will fix that in the next version.

I also like the way they rendered each ball park. I like Houston homefield when the train starts going that often distracts me when I am at bat. Each baseball park looks and feels real. Another problem I have is with Coors field that place is nearly impossible to hit homeruns out of. Hopefully they can adjust the elevation factors for that field.

The only thing they are missing are the seats atop the Green Monster. Overall a really damn good game.
Superman=#54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 12:44 PM   #20
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Shhh....guys trying to save $50 gift card to Best Buy. Must. Resist. Urge.

One question, I played this game on X-BOX at a friends house, and I found it ridiculously (spelling is bad, am still half a sleep) hard to damn near impossible to hit a curve ball or any other moving pitch. Othewise I really liked the game, but I don't like missing every single time on a breaking ball, which is how my friend kept beating me. So has anyone else had trouble with the curve? That and my pitchers kept getting ejected, but I like to throw inside.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 12:50 PM   #21
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

The curve is hard to hit, especially when thrown extremely low. Timing it is no problem, but seeing whether it is a ball or strike is hard. If he is throwing them constantly, lay off and try to work the count. It is a really good basebally game, and the best out their for a console imho.

-yacovfb
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 12:52 PM   #22
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I use the timing mode for batting. Curves are hard to hit, but not if you're sitting on one (see Pujols, he hit two last game for me).

Good pitchers hit their spots, bad pitchers are all over the place, you can tell faster players, better fielders, etc..

Why did I wait so long to try this game out?

..and you're right, the graphics are simply icing on the cake, well done and pretty to boot...

I haven't dug too deep into the Franchise mode yet as I'm playing all my games, but since I spent some good cash for a better manager and scout, I'm limited on what I can do thus far.

Todd
Old 07-20-2003, 12:53 PM   #23
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Well thanks a lot guys, now I gotta use that $50 best buy gift card. Now I just gotta save my other one for Madden.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:14 PM   #24
Philliesfan980
Banned

Illinifan999;

Look on ebay for a used copy, you can prob. get it MUCH cheaper than $50 (prob around $20).
Old 07-20-2003, 01:15 PM   #25
Philliesfan980
Banned

"Ok, is it just me or is this not one of the oddest statements related to games on here in a while.....

Are "statistics" now required to have some additional talent now like singing and dancing instead of just sitting on the screen and looking pretty? Please elighten us. "

Not trying to sound like a wiseguy or anything, but I really don't understand what you're getting at. All I'm talking about is if I "play" WSB the same way I "play" OOTP (simming all games for both games), will, WSB give me realistic results? Sometimes OOTP can get a little crazy with who they project to be "Hall of Famers".

Just a question, not trying to make a judgement on it.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:18 PM   #26
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

I have seen fairly realistic statistical results for most of the game. The only thing I can think of that some might not consider realistic is ARod hitting 900+ homers for his career. Other than that, the stats in the game seem farily realistic.

-yacovfb
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 01:44 PM   #27
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I think the curveballs in this year's version aren't as bad as they were last year. Me and a buddy played a 15-inning game last year throwing nothing but curveballs in the dirt and high fastballs. An insane # of K's occurred. Haven't had that yet this year though.

That being said, they do need to improve several things before I'll buy next year's version. But this year's version is quite good.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 02:03 PM   #28
ice4277
Pro Rookie

aaargh, I didn't want to buy a baseball game this year, but I might have to check this one out
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 02:42 PM   #29
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
"Ok, is it just me or is this not one of the oddest statements related to games on here in a while.....

Are "statistics" now required to have some additional talent now like singing and dancing instead of just sitting on the screen and looking pretty? Please elighten us. "

Not trying to sound like a wiseguy or anything, but I really don't understand what you're getting at. All I'm talking about is if I "play" WSB the same way I "play" OOTP (simming all games for both games), will, WSB give me realistic results? Sometimes OOTP can get a little crazy with who they project to be "Hall of Famers".

Just a question, not trying to make a judgement on it.

I've not seen any stats out of line for v5, though it may be possible since you can adjust things w/i the game. I think that you just really phrased what you were trying to say in a strange way is all.
Old 07-20-2003, 04:06 PM   #30
Philliesfan980
Banned

"I've not seen any stats out of line for v5, though it may be possible since you can adjust things w/i the game. I think that you just really phrased what you were trying to say in a strange way is all."

Fair enough, it was early! lol. I think what we all want (or most of us want) is somehow , someday, all of us want some graphics to go with our "career/stat" games. I just don't see whats so hard about adding manage only options to any game? Its the same as CPU vs CPU , but you can change the players and plays. Just don't understand.
Old 07-20-2003, 04:14 PM   #31
Balldog
Pro Rookie

WSB with manage only = Heaven
Old 07-20-2003, 04:32 PM   #32
Philliesfan980
Banned

ASB has manage only, but it ended up being really unbalanced (too little offense).

What I ended up doing for ASB is changing the control of each and every player to "CPU CONTROL" and just sit back and manage the bench and bullpen. Produced pretty accurate results in my opinion.

I don't believe that there's anyway to turn all the players to "CPU CONTROL" in WSB, or else you could trick it into manage only mode.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:36 AM   #33
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Ummmm, are they still selling WSB for PS2? Went to EB, Best Buy, and Circuit City. Best Buy had a slot for it but no game. Circuit City and EB didnt have it either? But wait I could buy March Madness 2002! Or NFL 2k2!
Old 07-26-2003, 01:02 PM   #34
SackAttack
Head Coach

Yeah, they do, but it sells quickly. Xbox version is a little easier to get, but still fairly popular.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 02:13 PM   #35
Philliesfan980
Banned

This thread makes me want to sim a few seasons and share what I found.. any requests?
Old 07-26-2003, 02:55 PM   #36
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Share please.
Old 07-26-2003, 10:54 PM   #37
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

You can goto Best Buy.com or Amazon or Gamestop.com's. I found mine, used at Gamestop for $39.99.

Todd
Old 07-26-2003, 11:12 PM   #38
FBPro
College Starter

You guys are making me wanna try this game, I can't find it to rent anywhere though. Any ideas?
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
Old 07-27-2003, 07:16 AM   #39
Philliesfan980
Banned

Well this is a very undetailed summary (I only played around with it for an hour or so). I only simmed the games, didn't play any or "watch any" (not even sure if thats an option).

I was the Phillies and liked what I saw. They ended up winning the division (1 game, came down to the final game of the season). Braves finished 1 game out.

GM mode is really nice, and you can tell that the developers were really looking into OOTP when they created this game. You start out by picking The manager, Hitting Coach, Pitching coach, Scouting Director, and Minors Manager. Not sure how this effects the game, but its in there.

Next comes the sim engine. Seems to be farily realistic, the Cardnials ended up winning the world series, which could definately happen. I got beat in the first round by the Giants.

Trades are accurate as well. While I didn't get alot of trade offers (I think the computer offered me 3 deals during the year). I did try and make alot of "Deadline deals", because this game really underrates the phillies bullpen (Cormier is a freaking 55). Most of my unbalanced trade offers ended up coming with responses of 1. NO or 2. Yes but give us $$$$ along with the player.

Free agency seems to run smoothly as well. Although not enough interaction between player and the offering team. Needs more back and forth banter rather than just the "Player Name , Signed Team" setup.

Sorry for the crappy review. If anyone has any specific questions, I'll try and answer them.