Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-04-2003, 10:11 PM   #1
BigDPW
College Prospect

CM4 - EP4 - Morale Problem

I have quit my EP4 game due to the fact that all of my opponents teams morale is "Very Poor". I am playing with a Florentia Viola squad that is clearly better suited for Serie C1 or B than C2 but I have been crushing my opponents and I refuse to keep doing so because I think the Morale Bug is playing a sizeable role... I still think I would win promotion without it but that is beside the point...

Marc if you are out there and see this can you please give me some insight into how/when this will be fixed... Will it be with a new EP - EP5 that we will wait another 1-2 months for or will it be in a quicker patch to fix this ugly bug...

I am impressed with how far the game has come from out of the box to now but the morale bug seems to be a big flaw as I assume it will lead to a much easier game...

The weather forecasting also seems to be an issue but I coudl care less about that... (Seems to always show Gale Force wind in the forecast and then turns out to be a normal day)...

BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 11:45 PM   #2
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

SIGAMES is well aware of this bug and already have it fixed in EP5. A bug fix list has been posted, but no release date.

Normally these things can take some time, but the increasing sentiment I am reading at the SIGAMES community forums is that EP5 will not take long to complete, and supposedly one of the Marcs (not sure if it's our own Marc Vaughan or the other Marc there, Marc Duffy), indicated it could be out as soon as next week. Don't get your hopes up, though, until you see it.

As for the weather bug, this has also been mentioned ad nauseum, although I'm not sure if it's set to be fixed. I think bugs that actually affect gameplay are getting priority. But I could be wrong.

I'm sure if you visit the sigames community forums, particularly the CM$ General Discussion forum, you can keep abreast of what's going on.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 11:54 PM   #3
Karim
College Starter

Damn. And I thought my undefeated eight game start was due to my brilliant managing! I had my sights set on promoting from the Conference and even increased payroll!
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 12:21 AM   #4
Daimyo
College Starter

Maybe this question would be better suited for its own thread, but I'll ask it here anyway and hope some more CM'ers are reading...

At this point is it even worth buying CM4 or is it better to hold off for CM03/04 which I assume will be coming out October-ish. I was looking foward to CM4 so much, but (as with every game now) I decided to wait until it was patched adequately to buy. Unfortunately I'm still waiting...
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 01:20 AM   #5
3ric
College Starter

Daimyo, make no mistake about it - CM4 is a beautifully playable game already, and for being adequately patched, I think SI achieved that with the last patch, EP3. SI are just not satisfied with having a new game that is merely better than the competition, thus the continued patches.
Old 07-05-2003, 03:06 AM   #6
Karim
College Starter

If you haven't bought it yet, a couple months more won't hurt. I started a serious career but I'll probably start a new one with EP5. It's a pain having to continuously restart, especially for those of us that play slowly.
Old 07-05-2003, 10:11 AM   #7
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Daimyo
Maybe this question would be better suited for its own thread, but I'll ask it here anyway and hope some more CM'ers are reading...

At this point is it even worth buying CM4 or is it better to hold off for CM03/04 which I assume will be coming out October-ish. I was looking foward to CM4 so much, but (as with every game now) I decided to wait until it was patched adequately to buy. Unfortunately I'm still waiting...

Buy it. It's awesome right now.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 11:58 AM   #8
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I would bet the next one would be out more towards November/December. I would definitely go ahead and buy now, there are still one or two niggly little bugs but to be honest if they hadn't been mentioned here or at SI Games I would probably never have noticed them. My main issues with the game are just some little things they left out of the previous versions but, no major complaints at all.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 12:26 PM   #9
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

I hope they don't release the next game that soon. Gee, CM4 is just getting playable now. I think that CM 03/04 was not be released this year anyways, its alreayd July are still working on getting CM4 straighten out.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 12:30 PM   #10
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Could anyone post the list over here?
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 01:02 PM   #11
3ric
College Starter

You mean the fix list for EP5?

Code:
Current fix list. Release date not yet set. General -------- - Fixed a rare crash in contract decision news. - In the team records screen, some fields which did not apply to the nation or club are removed from the view. - Manager total transfer spending/income now updated - Manager league wins now updated for leagues decided by a final. - Fixed obscure crash in manager profile when using the back button - Made fake player games give players properly balanced physical attributes - Fixed bug when user right clicks on a nation and goes to any other view apart from the squad view. The game would crash if user then goes to another nation using the see also menu. - Deleting players from a long shortlist now works properly. - MLS scheduling now does not clash with All-Stars date. - When signing a scout, any current scout searches are now not cleared down. - When a completely unknown player is scouted, it now unlocks some of his attributes in his profile. - Fixed player enquiry cheat where you could renegotiate terms and the selling team would always accept. - Added more checks for the saving game process. A dialog should now appear if it fails in any way. - Fixed two string errors - record transfer fees recieved and person#3 in player conflict news (no manager) - Fixed transfer screen total fees for foreign currencies - Fixed job applications so applicatons are withdrawn if manager refused job offer - Team screen now shows any current squad rules for non human controlled teams. - Selling team now gets news items for any automatic rejections or acceptances of transfer offers for his players. - Players ineligible for European games due to having played for another team cannot be picked. - When user rejects an offer for a player, his asking price is only set if it has been changed from the original offer. - Fixed problem where player morale would drop to "very Poor" after matches. - African World Cup qualifying was getting played without some of the top nations. - Fixed rare crash in player information section when playing in a foreign language. - Match attendances now match up in team fixtures information panel and match stats screen.
Old 07-05-2003, 06:30 PM   #12
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by SunDancer
I hope they don't release the next game that soon. Gee, CM4 is just getting playable now. I think that CM 03/04 was not be released this year anyways, its alreayd July are still working on getting CM4 straighten out.

research for CM4 03/04 as already started (at least in France)
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 06:46 PM   #13
Havok
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Daimyo

Do yourself a favor and wait. As good as a game CM4 is, every update there is some new gamestopping bug EVERYTIME!!! I've lost 3 career's so far do to bugs with a total of about 200 hours put into them easy (probally alot more). I refuse to do it anymore.

I think Marc is one of the best/coolest reps for any game company i've ever met. But CM4 was released way way way to early. Its probally due to its huge popularity in Europe so they rushed it some.
Old 07-05-2003, 06:59 PM   #14
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I guess I've been lucky, but I havent really experienced any showstopping bugs.....yet. /knocks on wood
It really seems like some people get the bugs, others dont. I'm having a great time with my Man U dynasty and my Nimes Olympique dynasty. Nimes is a really fun game for me as I've really had to employ scouts out looking in spots only to have a bigger team with more money come in and sweep away my next star. I dont know. I like this game a lot better, and I'm enjoying it. Based on how I've been playing I would say get it, but I'm not having the problems Havok is...........
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 07:05 PM   #15
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Havok
Do yourself a favor and wait. As good as a game CM4 is, every update there is some new gamestopping bug EVERYTIME!!! I've lost 3 career's so far do to bugs with a total of about 200 hours put into them easy (probally alot more). I refuse to do it anymore.

I think Marc is one of the best/coolest reps for any game company i've ever met. But CM4 was released way way way to early. Its probally due to its huge popularity in Europe so they rushed it some.

Yea, I think this comment is part hyperbole and overreaction. I've read about very few people who have lost one career, never mind 3.
Old 07-05-2003, 07:06 PM   #16
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by illinifan999
I guess I've been lucky, but I havent really experienced any showstopping bugs.....yet. /knocks on wood
It really seems like some people get the bugs, others dont. I'm having a great time with my Man U dynasty and my Nimes Olympique dynasty. Nimes is a really fun game for me as I've really had to employ scouts out looking in spots only to have a bigger team with more money come in and sweep away my next star. I dont know. I like this game a lot better, and I'm enjoying it. Based on how I've been playing I would say get it, but I'm not having the problems Havok is...........

i totally agree! i've been having a hell of a time playing CM4 ever since EP3 was released
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 08:06 PM   #17
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Havok has definitely lost at least one career that I've seen posted on here due to a fixture generation bug in the Italian league, I don't know about others. Marc has even acknowledged it himself.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 09:04 PM   #18
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I do remember the Italian thing, and that is, of course, legit.

BUT, I wonder if for the other two, the bugs weren't actually 'showstopping' - they just caused him to not like something in the game.

The term 'gamestopping' or 'showstopping' is WAY overused - it should be reserved for cases where you truly cannot play on, or the game has a major flaw that NOBODY would find playable.

My intuition tells me Havok has overreacted to an extent, but it certainly is true that nasty bugs have and will occur in CM4. Nevertheless, I'm also led to believe that they are being reduced or even eliminated at an exponentially increasing rate.

~rpi-fan
Old 07-06-2003, 07:24 AM   #19
3ric
College Starter

Count me as another who's yet to see any so-called "show-stopping bugs". I started a new career with EP3 and am now in 2012 and have a whole lot of fun playing.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:37 AM   #20
Critch
lolzcat

I've also been enjoying CM4 since EP3, though I did have the showstopping bug where no fixtures were created for a season (in the Spanish league) but since I knew that bug was present and took the risk, I didn't really have a complaint.

I'd say CM4 is good and playable now, and it'll be better when they finally get some little things sorted out, hopefully when EP5 shows up.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 09:43 AM   #21
Havok
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackadar
Yea, I think this comment is part hyperbole and overreaction. I've read about very few people who have lost one career, never mind 3.

i've only technically lost 1 due to the Itailin league bug where your seasons never starts.

One of my lower level leagues was more or less lost do to the old ground maintance bug. I got so far in debt it was impossible to succeed.

And my other one was lost when it just decided not to load after a saved game.

don't tell me its "hyberbole" or "overeaction" when you don't know a dam thing about my CM4 experiance's.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:49 AM   #22
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
i've only technically lost 1 due to the Itailin league bug where your seasons never starts.

One of my lower level leagues was more or less lost do to the old ground maintance bug. I got so far in debt it was impossible to succeed.

And my other one was lost when it just decided not to load after a saved game.

don't tell me its "hyberbole" or "overeaction" when you don't know a dam thing about my CM4 experiance's.

Junior:

Ok, you lost 1 to the known Italian league bug.

You lost one to the ground maintenance bug that was fixed in a patch where most everyone else could continue.

You lost one to a saved game issue - did you send it to Marc V? He probably could have fixed it for you.

Of course, this is beside the point. Your experience, whether it be the game, the user or the PC, is obviously an abberation. And it would appear that 2 of the 3 issues have either been fixed or could have been with a little effort on your part.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:50 AM   #23
Havok
College Starter

~dola~

i never meant to imply CM4 sucked or wasn't worth it. The reason i said wait, is that right now there is a morale bug where you can just crush everyone in your league because they're morale blows.
Thats a gamestopper for me and for quite a few other people. Just go read the SI boards.

CM4 is a great game that was released to early. It happens all the time. I bet CM 03/04 will be GREAT! and almost bug free.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:53 AM   #24
Havok
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackadar
Junior:

Ok, you lost 1 to the known Italian league bug.

You lost one to the ground maintenance bug that was fixed in a patch where most everyone else could continue.

You lost one to a saved game issue - did you send it to Marc V? He probably could have fixed it for you.

Of course, this is beside the point. Your experience, whether it be the game, the user or the PC, is obviously an abberation. And it would appear that 2 of the 3 issues have either been fixed or could have been with a little effort on your part.

lol... a little effort on my part. Now thats funny.

i love how YOU know how much effort i put into fixing my lost career's.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:53 AM   #25
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
~dola~

i never meant to imply CM4 sucked or wasn't worth it. The reason i said wait, is that right now there is a morale bug where you can just crush everyone in your league because they're morale blows.
Thats a gamestopper for me and for quite a few other people. Just go read the SI boards.

CM4 is a great game that was released to early. It happens all the time. I bet CM 03/04 will be GREAT! and almost bug free.

Actually, Havok, I'm sure your experience has been less than optimal. But even you realize that very few folks have a similar experience to yours.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:07 AM   #26
BigDPW
College Prospect

I have really enjoyed the game since EP3... I think that after EP3 the game was very solid... Especially if you stuck to British leagues...
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 10:09 AM   #27
Havok
College Starter

true.... i think i've definetly been very unlucky.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:10 AM   #28
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
~dola~

I have the morale thing in my game as well, but I haven't been able to really crush anybody; actually I am doing just about the same as I was before EP4.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:29 AM   #29
3ric
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by ice4277
I have the morale thing in my game as well, but I haven't been able to really crush anybody; actually I am doing just about the same as I was before EP4.

Did you continue an EP3 game after installing EP4? I did, and I can't say I have had an advantage over anyone, like you.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:31 AM   #30
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by 3ric
Did you continue an EP3 game after installing EP4? I did, and I can't say I have had an advantage over anyone, like you.

Yeah, I'm continuing a game...in season 04/05 with Ipswich; when I installed the patch I was 6th in Premiership, after playing about 10 matches I'm in 7th; if anything, I'd say I'm getting more goals for and against, but that is probably just coincidence.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:34 AM   #31
McSweeny
College Starter

i don't think that morale plays as big a factor as alot of people are making it out to be. I don't think that any bottom feeders or middle of the table teams are going to turn into world beaters due to their opponents having poor morale.
Old 07-06-2003, 12:34 PM   #32
Daimyo
College Starter

Does this morale bug appear only in games started in EP3 and continued in EP4 or does it happen in games started under EP4? Does it happen to everyone or only in certain leagues?
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 01:00 PM   #33
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I started in EP 3 and continued into EP4 and I have the morale problem. Playing English Second Division. Haven't noticed too much difference in my results.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 02:01 PM   #34
McSweeny
College Starter

i started a new game with EP4 and the morale problem seems to be present
Old 07-06-2003, 02:26 PM   #35
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
i don't think that morale plays as big a factor as alot of people are making it out to be. I don't think that any bottom feeders or middle of the table teams are going to turn into world beaters due to their opponents having poor morale.

I'm playing with Telford in the Conference. With EP3, I finished 12th. After installing EP4, I was considered a 30-1 shot at winning the title. I have the morale bug and after 10 games am undefeated with 3 draws and in first place.

I'm actually really enjoying it though as I usually get hammered in CM. I might not even install EP4 until I get promoted!
Old 07-07-2003, 01:37 AM   #36
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Karim

I'm actually really enjoying it though as I usually get hammered in CM. I might not even install EP4 until I get promoted!

I started a new game with EP4 with Liverpool. Came from behind to beat both ManU and Barcelona on the road in the final minutes of the games. It was great at the time, but now I feel so tainted. Still, I think I'll continue, pull a domestic treble and maybe even add in some European glory so that the Kop adore me and I won't get fired next season when EP5 uncovers my true managing abilities.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 06:59 PM   #37
Karim
College Starter

Yeah, that should be EP5.

I'm thinking if I get promoted to D3 with EP4, then install EP5, I might get wasted fast.

Oh well, this game never gets old...
Old 07-21-2003, 09:36 AM   #38
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

bump...

Does anyone know of an ETA on EP5? I tried getting into the CM boards, but they don't seem to be working (for me, anyway).

Also, is there a big enough improvement in CM4 to warrant getting it if you already own CM 01/02? Are people liking the 2D match system? Is the game harder than CM 01/02?
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 09:53 AM   #39
condors
College Starter

i find the game is a big improvement over cm01/02

i enjoy the 2D match engine alot

i can't go back to playing cm01/02 anymore

there are alot more options of everything

praise that forward in form! till his contract is expiring
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 10:01 AM   #40
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

condors: Thanks!

Just got in to the boards over at SI. To answer one of my own questions, it seems that EP 5's release date is not certain.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 10:07 AM   #41
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

There is no release date for EP5, should come quite son since a few of us are already testing it, but no official date.

And for those who want to know, yes the morale bug is corrected in EP5, works really well now.
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 10:35 AM   #42
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally posted by RPI-Fan
Nevertheless, I'm also led to believe that they are being reduced or even eliminated at an exponentially increasing rate.

~rpi-fan

Over 4 months after the game came out is an ever increasing rate? Jim was burned and hung and he fixed all the big bugs (none of them were "show-stoppers" by your definition) within 2 months.

If it takes 4-5 months to fix a game, there is no reason you should release a brand new version in 3-4. No offense Marc, but I think you owe it to the people who bought the game to provide a free update instead of a new game for $50.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 11:38 AM   #43
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Mac
Over 4 months after the game came out is an ever increasing rate? Jim was burned and hung and he fixed all the big bugs (none of them were "show-stoppers" by your definition) within 2 months.

If it takes 4-5 months to fix a game, there is no reason you should release a brand new version in 3-4. No offense Marc, but I think you owe it to the people who bought the game to provide a free update instead of a new game for $50.

They are still providing updates but the game is not broken. I am having no problems in my game right now except for a few minor ones, nothing much at all like a 'show-stopper'. Some people are finding the morale bug to be a big issue; I am one of the ones who hasn't really had it affect me in my game. If you look at the list of bug fixes you can hardly say that any of them are major, much like the recent patch for FOF4 can hardly be said to have fixed any 'showstoppers'.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:54 AM   #44
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

EP#5 is expected to be released at some point this week, we avoid indicating an exact release date because (1) they can change if testing doesn't go well, (2) it encourages people to queue up on our servers which usually makes them liable to crash.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 11:55 AM   #45
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

PS. Our seasonal updates are always below the price of a 'full game' and generally retail in the UK at approximately £19.99-£24.99 ($30-37.50 approx).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote