Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-09-2003, 11:41 PM   #1
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Niners Fans

For those who watched the first pre-season game I made a few observations about what went on in the game.
First off, Ken Dorsey looked good, better then Doman. Doman had a few moments, but Dorsey looked more comfortable during the game.
Second, Erickson was a little more aggresive then Steve, which is a good thing.
The defense in the first quarter looked shaky, but you can't really tell how good they will be in the pre-season.
Lastly, Kwame Harris allowed 2 sacks, however it could just be "growing pains" as Newberry said in a sideline interview. I'm going to be at the Raiders-Niners game next week, so that will be interesting.

Sharpieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 11:50 PM   #2
bbor
Pro Starter

I miss Steve

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 11:52 PM   #3
Sharpieman

Why miss steve?
Old 08-10-2003, 12:04 AM   #4
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I'll answer for bbor.

One hyphenated word for you, Sharpieman: reach-around.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 01:02 AM   #5
bbor
Pro Starter

I heart CR

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:16 AM   #6
JeeberD
General Manager

Are Niners fans all as gay as the Niners themselves?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 02:13 AM   #7
Sharpieman

Very intelligent JeeberD, I wouldn't have expected anything more from a texas resident.
Old 08-10-2003, 02:25 AM   #8
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
Are Niners fans all as gay as the Niners themselves?

I have the rubber

Old 08-10-2003, 05:02 AM   #9
Alf
Pro Starter

Are Texans as stupid as JeeberD ?
Old 08-10-2003, 05:41 AM   #10
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by Alf
Are Texans as stupid as JeeberD ?

Are all loud-mouth aliens as stupid as Alf?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 11:50 AM   #11
RendeR
Coordinator

Do any of you niner fans really believe that erickson can run this team to a better finish than mooch ever did?

I don't, erickson is a decent coordniator, he's a lousy head coach. The front office screwed the pooch letting mooch fly the coop.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 08:17 PM   #12
Sharpieman

I wouldn't speak so soon RendeR, they haven't even played a regular season game yet. Maybe Erickson isn't a good coach, but we don't know that yet. We just have to wait and see.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:38 PM   #13
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Niners will be at the bottom of the division this year. They'll regret losing Mooch.

What do you expect from a Rams fan?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 08:39 PM   #14
Vince
Pro Starter

I think if Mooch would have opened the offense up like Erickson will do this year, we could have won a superbowl or two in the last three years. Our offense has underachieved, and Mooch got our defense to overachieve. I think this year we could be great...we'll end up winning the NFC West, and we'll lose in the first or second round of the playoffs, just like last year.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 09:15 PM   #15
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

If Mooch was the reason the defense overachieved, why do you think it will continue to overachieve? You can't just take one (Erickson will open the offense up), without considering the other (Mooch leaving affect on defense).

When I looked over the Niners, I thought I saw some issues here and there. They are also in a pretty tough division, and, sorry, Sharpieman, but Erickson has coached before in the NFL and he didn't do all that well. You could make an argument that he has already shown himself to be a bad pro coach in his stint with the Seahawks, so Render might not have been stretching it as far as you think.

I also watched my Bruins--an underachieving team--blow away his Beavers last year in Corvallis, and I always thought OSU was way overrated, too.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 09:47 PM   #16
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief Rum
If Mooch was the reason the defense overachieved, why do you think it will continue to overachieve? You can't just take one (Erickson will open the offense up), without considering the other (Mooch leaving affect on defense).

When I looked over the Niners, I thought I saw some issues here and there. They are also in a pretty tough division, and, sorry, Sharpieman, but Erickson has coached before in the NFL and he didn't do all that well. You could make an argument that he has already shown himself to be a bad pro coach in his stint with the Seahawks, so Render might not have been stretching it as far as you think.

I also watched my Bruins--an underachieving team--blow away his Beavers last year in Corvallis, and I always thought OSU was way overrated, too.

CR

If the Niners could have had anyone, it probably would have been Holmgren. Which brings me to something I heard on an NFL show:

Erickson's record in Seattle: 31-33. Holmgren's, since taking over for Erickson...31-33.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 12:28 AM   #17
Sharpieman

I was just about to say that Logan, Holmgren has had the same record as Erickson did in Seattle, I don't know if anyone could have turned Seattle around with the kind of managment they have. The Niners are in a division with 2 contenders, Seattle should be improved and if the Rams can rebound then the Niners will be in big trouble. All I'm hoping for this year is that the Niners do good enough to convince Kevin Barlow, Julian Peterson and Terrel Owens to come back and be on the Niners for a long, long time.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:30 AM   #18
Sharpieman

dola, Mooch wasn't the reason the defense overacheived, Jim Mora Jr. is very underrated as a coach, he was the reason why the Niners defense overacheived.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:40 AM   #19
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by RendeR
Do any of you niner fans really believe that erickson can run this team to a better finish than mooch ever did?

I don't, erickson is a decent coordniator, he's a lousy head coach. The front office screwed the pooch letting mooch fly the coop.

I miss Mooch.....i think people will realize that it WAS him that made the team decent.

Old 08-11-2003, 01:08 AM   #20
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief Rum
CR

I think that I wasn't as clear as I could have been in my first post. While I do think that Mooch (this is no slight on Mora Jr., by the way...I think he's an awesome defensive coordinator) wrung every bit of talent out of his defensive unit, I think that he also helped them mature faster, and grow together as a unit. I think at this point they are good enough to handle themselves, and while I think it would be naive to say that they will be the same as last year, I don't think Mooch's leaving is going to affect the team as much as some might think.

I think you have a great point, Chief...the 49ers are going to be hurting with Erickson at the helm as opposed to Mooch...but the 49ers needed to do something. They have stopped improving significantly since they have become good again, and they want to see results in the postseason now. I don't know if Erickson is the answer, but it will be interesting to see how this year pans out.

As for our division being difficult, I'm going to have to disagree with you there.
  • Arizona is terrible, and Emmit Smith isn't going to help that.
  • Seattle still isn't quite there, even though Shaun Alexander is amazing, Hasselbeck has started to look competent and the defense is starting to look decent again. They could surprise, but I don't think they're on our level yet.
  • St. Louis is the only team with a legitimate shot at the 49ers, and while I'm not buying last season as an indication of their imminent demise, I'm not sure they are the same team that was so dominant for three years.

In all, our division is fairly weak. We have one doormat (Arizona), one mediocre team (Seattle), one questionably good team (St. Louis), and one proven solid team (San Francisco). Shouldn't be too difficult for the 49ers to get out of the NFC West and into the postseason again.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 01:41 AM   #21
Sharpieman

True that the Niners have one of the weaker divisions in the league. But who knows how good the division will be this year, I know a lot of people think Seattle will be much improved and everyone expects the Rams to come back strong. Arizona of course is just horrible. So we will see.
Old 08-11-2003, 03:40 AM   #22
Alf
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg
Are all loud-mouth aliens as stupid as Alf?

I know I open my big-mouth too often .
Old 08-11-2003, 07:26 AM   #23
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Mooch rules. Go Lions.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote