Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-26-2003, 09:43 PM   #1
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Thumbs down OT: Electronics Boutique

So anyway, I buy Max Payne 2 last weekend at Electronics Boutique for $50...no big deal right? Wrong. The next day (Sunday) it was selling for $35 at Best Buy. I took it back to Electronics Boutique yesterday and asked them if they price match, but unfortunately, they don't. What a ripoff. I told them that Best Buy and Circuit City do, plus they offer 10% more if you find it cheaper within 30 days. I won't be buying anything at EB unless I really have to. Grrrrrrr....

Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 09:53 PM   #2
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

I don't think they'll mind losing the business though, considering Max Payne 2 has only been out about 3 weeks if that. Just a short breeze through online sites, including the stores you listed, and the cheapest price you'll find is $44.99. So i'm not surprised they didn't give you any compesation, especially since they've never done that.

I've always preferred EBgames because I've never had any return issues, and always can get whatever it is I want on its release day.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 09:58 PM   #3
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Oh, and by the way... Had you of pre-ordered it via EBgames, you could of actually got it for 30 bucks, atleast technically... as they were giving away $20 gift vouchers with pre-orders of the game.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 10:00 PM   #4
korme
Go Reds

I buy nearly all of my games from EB, but I see where you are coming from.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 10:05 PM   #5
Scholes
High School Varsity

EB doesn't exactly have the financial and buying power of Circuit City and Best Buy, and to get in price matching wars with them would be suicide.

They have had to find their niche by being a "specialty" dealer.
Scholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 10:17 PM   #6
Raiders Army
Coordinator

The thing that really rips me is that if I had waited less than 24 hours later, I would've saved $15....oh well, I'll wait until the Sunday circulars next time...the only thing is that I want to buy it on a Friday or Saturday to enjoy it the whole weekend!
Old 10-26-2003, 10:25 PM   #7
oykib
College Starter

If you thought that it was worth 50 bucks, then what's the problem. If you waited a year it'd be $19.98 in Blockbuster's previously viewed/rented bin. Don't get caught up in that whole pricing nonsense if you can afford the full price.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 10:32 PM   #8
FloridaFringe
H.S. Freshman Team

I do agree with the post above except in certain circumstance. For instance, I had just purchased 2 Xbox games at full price from KB Toys in order to take advantage of a mere 10% discount. Now after only a few days they are running a buy 2 get a 3rd free offer. I even asked the rep at the store if the 10% deals was going to be lasting much longer and he assured me that it was the first Xbox promotion that they have had in a while and that it would be running for a couple more weeks. It really irks me that it only lasted for a couple of days instead.

I think that I will be calling KB Toys tomorrow morning.
FloridaFringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 10:34 PM   #9
Tasan
College Starter

Always, Always, wait a week after something comes out, catch the sundays, and you'll prolly save 10-15 bucks. Well, on the big name titles usually. Can't really do that with fof and such I guess ;- )
Old 10-26-2003, 11:38 PM   #10
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I only shop at EB if I *have* to have something the day it comes out. Otherwise, I'll purchase it from another dealer (and hopefully find it for cheaper!).

PC games drop in price so fast it's scary. My new PC will be here this week, and I need to catch up on the great games I haven't been able to play for the last...2-3 years
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 02:00 AM   #11
Ragone
Pro Rookie

yea.. i got tron 2.0 for 19 bucks today heh..

its not worth 50. 20 bucks yes

Last edited by Ragone : 10-27-2003 at 02:01 AM.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 08:32 AM   #12
Raiders Army
Coordinator

y'all are probably right, but the fact is, I could've saved $15 on a game that lasts an average of 6 to 12 hours to complete. I could see three movies for $15 (at matinee or military discount prices) which would equate to how long it would take to complete the game
Old 10-27-2003, 06:18 PM   #13
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Ya know... IIRC, EB has a VERY liberal return policy. Unless they've changed it, you could have simply said you wanted to return it and get store credit or cash back.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:44 PM   #14
Mota
College Benchwarmer

EB is great at what they do. Get games into your hands first. You do pay for that benefit though.

If you can wait, buy it at Wal-Mart and save $5, but make sure you don't need to ask any questions about the game! What you save in the price, you definitely lose in the service!
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 07:28 PM   #15
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by ISiddiqui
Ya know... IIRC, EB has a VERY liberal return policy. Unless they've changed it, you could have simply said you wanted to return it and get store credit or cash back.

Not anymore. Opened games can be returned for exchanges of the same game only. This changed earlier this year.

EB has just pissed me off to the point that I don't shop there any more. Not only don't they take returns (bastards!), but the supposed "price matching" is a joke. I live where two cities join up and have the same borders - you can't tell where one stops and the other starts. Yet they won't match the pricing from Best Buy or CompUSA, which are about 4 miles into the "other" city. Not the same area, they claim.

Without returns or price matching, there's very little reason to buy from them unless I'm totally impatient on a game, which rarely happens. I've been burned too many times lately - Civ 3, NeverWinter Nights, Lionheart, TOEE...I shoulda waited for the reviews on them (though I still would have bought Neverwinter and TOEE).
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 08:02 PM   #16
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

In my mall we had an Electronics Boutiques about 15 yards form a Software Etc. It was outstanding. They were constantly having pricing wars. It was interesting because my friend and I found out just how much more we were willing to spend for better service. The Software Etc. consistently had the better service, but also the slightly higher price. We determined thAt we were willing to pay an extra 50 cents for the better service. We also tried to buy from obth stores to keep them both in business. Unfortunately, the Software Etc. moved out and it hasn't been the same since.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 08:06 PM   #17
FloridaFringe
H.S. Freshman Team

GameStop is a great place to buy games considering that they have a 7-day return for store credit policy on all open games. It's like renting games for a week at a time until you find one worth keeping. Besides that they usually have a great used selection as well.

Currently there are 5 GameStop stores located within 5 miles of my home so hitting all of them to check out the used games takes under an hour on a slow day.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:43 PM   #18
hollmt
High School Varsity

yeah you can "rent" the games for a week most the time. do it too often then you are sort of taking advantage of the rule and usually management will stop letting you return games over and over. gamestop isnt blockbuster.

as for pc games, nobody lets you return them unless it is for the same title (if the box is opened).

price matching is hard for gamestop (also known as funcoland, software etc.) and EB. they cant compete obviously with Best Buy, CompUSA, and the other big boys, nor should they really have to. they have a different niche altogether.

the service at gamestop is far and above better than EB and or the other big retail stores and like one of the other posters said, try asking a question about a game at Wally World, or the other big retail stores and you will be lucky to get a response. quite frankly you would be lucky to get acknowledged that you are even in the store.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 11:11 PM   #19
FloridaFringe
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally posted by hollmt
yeah you can "rent" the games for a week most the time. do it too often then you are sort of taking advantage of the rule and usually management will stop letting you return games over and over. gamestop isnt blockbuster.

I agree completely and only mentioned this fact since return policies have been in question. I personally have only utilized this feature of GameStop on one occasion well over a year ago. Otherwise, I have been rather satisfied with my purchases. The only time that this type of behavior is acceptable on a regular basis is if the games really do suck beyond belief and can be considered unplayable. Therefore, the customer shouldn't have to suffer the lose of cash when GameStop will simply return the open game to the manufacturer for a credit. At least that is what I think that they can do in those instances.

FTR, I do not condone the use of GameStop or any other company in the business of selling games as a rental source. As was already mentioned, that is what Blockbuster is for.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:44 PM   #20
hollmt
High School Varsity

sorry FloridaFringe...i want trying to single you out on that topic. i should of been more clear.

Gamestop used to be able to return new games that were not liked as well. until last year this was the case, then a customer decided to sue Gamestop claiming they sold a new game to them that had already been played and used. the policy has now changed to the one we are familiar with now.

as for the pc rule...i feel the rule is fair and i have been bitten by the rule on more than one occasion *cough* Master of Orion 3 *cough*. the customer should do his (or my) research before spending 50 bucks on a piece of crap.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 12:23 AM   #21
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Too bad EB games has changed to a "no return" policy. I can count at least dozen games that I bought there over the past few years specifically because they had the return policy. When I was unsure whether my computer could run a game or whether I would like it, I would just buy it knowing that I could return it if I had problems. I only took one game back.

I guess it's easy for the store to count "lost sales" due to returns but difficult to determine "lost sales" due to the "no return" policy. I imagine a lot of people abused the policy though.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 01:15 AM   #22
FloridaFringe
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally posted by hollmt
sorry FloridaFringe...i want trying to single you out on that topic. i should of been more clear.

No problem what so ever. I really didn't look at your statements as if you were singling me out. I just felt that in light of what you had said that my remarks needed a bit of clarification so that others didn't take them the wrong way. Thanks for the thought though.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:33 AM   #23
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Lightbulb

My roommate uses the gamestop policy. He'll return games that he doesn't like or that he can max out within a week. I don't buy games that can be maxed out so quickly. I buy almost all multiplayer games these days (console) and rent everything else.

I think the return policy is a good idea but is easily open to abuse. Too bad the closest gamestop is 30 mins from here.

Tomorrow I'll be picking up Xbox Music Mixer from EB
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 03:16 AM   #24
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Gamestop limits 3 returns per game purchase ticket btw..

found that out today
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote