Ragone
Pro Rookie

This is a curious web blog

http://www.tardblog.com/

Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 06:01 AM   #2
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

after reading that website, I can only suggest to the author that she start putting in some of those "warm fuzzy" stories that she says aren't funny, because she comes across as a mean bitch.

I especially love the first story, about the kid who wanted to go inside the classroom and the battle that ensued. She says "I still don't know why Malcolm wanted to be in the building so much."

Normally I'd assume that Malcolm can't communicate, but after reading some of those other stories I can't help but wonder "why didn't you ask him?"
Old 11-19-2003, 07:59 AM   #3
Subby
lolzcat

I think it is high time she started a spinoff called Cuntblog.com...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 08:42 AM   #4
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by corbes
I really think that is one of the funnier things I've read in awhile. Possibly because I work in a school.

Funny how?
Old 11-19-2003, 09:21 AM   #5
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

No, actually I don't see that at all? Why? Because she calls them "tards" (and yes, I read the FAQ. Doesn't change a thing). Just look at the following sentences.

"You wouldn’t believe some of the shit that these tards have been keeping in their desk."

"The tards were allowed computer time as a reward for doing something correctly, i.e.. going a full day without swearing, not hitting anyone for a week, not shitting their pants, etc."

" I go back to my desk to begin sharpening tard pencils. Most of the tards come up, including Joe."

In most of the cases on her blog the word "tard" could/should be replaced by the word "kids", or in some cases just left out completely. Why use the word, why try to coin that phrase? Because you want to be cute, or precious?

Pardon me, but screw that. These are kids. And as much shit as she has to put up with at school, the parents of these kids put up with more. I don't see any parents starting "tard blogs". Wonder why?

I don't see it as funny or full of love. What I read out of this is a woman who enjoys her job, but also has a certain level of contempt for those she teaches. She might feel love for these kids, but it comes across as the love someone might have towards their dog.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:23 AM   #6
Two Thirds Rectal Trout
n00b

From the FAQ

When using "tard" we no not mean necessarily mean "retarded," "stupid," "slow," or any other such word that carries a negative connotation with it. We did not call this the "Retard Blog" or the "Really Stupid Kid Blog" because that is not what it is. This is a journal that is written about the daily happenings in a special education/behavioral disorder classroom.

Ohhh.. great. I'm glad they clarified that tard in NO way is derogatory. I can now start a IGGER blog about my daily contact with African - Americans.
Two Thirds Rectal Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 09:39 AM   #7
Axxon
Pro Starter

I did when I read it a while back but the reactions of my fellow FOFC'ers has made me wonder. Not wonder if or why I felt it was funny but how it would be related to.

That's what it's all about. I've worked with some kids who the system has given up on and have had great results. A great part of my getting past their barriers has been making jokes, first aimed at myself, then aimed at their petty quirks and finally on to the stereotypes that they'd already accepted. They'd first think it wasn't true about themselves and finally want to achieve something no one thought they could do. Once I was passed all that I could teach, very easily even that stuff I didn't know so well. I could learn by teaching.

What? Yes, I've been asked by two friends to help them study for the mcat. I know nothing about medicine but I can comprehend what I read and my questions and whimsical associations have gotten results. I think being a teacher is more about engaging and challenging the mind of your student than actually serving them facts. It's worked well for me on both ends of the scale.

This teacher pushes her students. It's not always neat and it's not always pleasant but she is showing them respect by not treating them as different because they're working through a harder puzzle. Everyone need this expecially those who will be faced with greater natural challenges like her kids will.

Concentrate on what she does, not what she remarks. The bottom line is that's what matters to these kids and she delivers. They can't see the humor but they react to the reactions and those seem to be positive.

If she uses humor to make it through her day then what's the problem. I don't see removing her from her job because of the factors that makes it worthwhile to her. I'd like to see you doing her job You may do it politer but would the results be there? Would the respect? Would you take the time to figure out how to reach each student or would you teach and grade straight from the test?.

Do you seriously think she should be removed from the classroom environment because of what she writes on the internet?

Me, I'd let her teach my kid, challenged or not. I'd know that either way his mind would be challenged and he'd end up better for it. That's MHO.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:42 AM   #8
Subby
lolzcat

That woman doesn't know the first thing about love.

Labeling kids with special needs "tards" does nothing but marginalize those children even further than society already does. Her entire jounral arc is completely dehumanizing - she might as well be talking about her pet dogs.

Those kids need a teacher who can see their potential - be their advocate - their cheerleader. They don't have any need for a caretaker that can't find it within herself to give them the respect they deserve as human beings.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Last edited by Subby : 11-19-2003 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:01 AM   #9
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Axxon,

First of all, how do you know what kind of results she gets? How do any of us know anything about this woman other than what she presents to us over a blog?

Secondly, I can't find where anyone's suggested she be removed from the class. I don't know enough about her teaching methods to suggest anything like that. I'd simply suggest she start viewing her students as something resembling human beings, as both Subby and I have previously suggested.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:06 AM   #10
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally posted by corbes
I'm personally not comfortable with "tard". I've used it in a derogatory context.

So what?

If you look past that, you'll see that all she wants is for her kids to push themselves beyond their emotional reactions, if only the slightest bit. She finds joy in their victories, and amusement in their defeats. That's all.

It's human.

So if a teacher had a blog talking about her African-American students, continually referring to them as the "n-word", would you still say "so what"?

To find amusement in the defeats of those you're seeking to teach isn't necessarily a human trait, and least not one that should be celebrated. I know when I'm teaching my three year old, I don't laugh at his failures and shortcomings.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:07 AM   #11
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

Evil is human, but that doesn't mean we have to promote it.

Most teachers have a love/hate relationship with their students (ex high school English teacher here) but you can *never* let that get to the students themselves. The amount of damage you can do to their self image is considerable. It is unconscionable that she would put this up on the internet. I don't care that most of these kids might not understand it if they read it; other kids certainly do.

I have no doubt that she really loves her students, but the hate part has overpowered her reason. She ought to resign.
Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 10:17 AM   #12
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

Here are a few things I noticed during my brief visit:

1. the authors say, basically "Fark off if you don't like it. We redefined our words so they are harmless, because we have that special ability to make things that hurt turn into flowers, kinda like a Bugs Bunny cartoon."

2. the original author, Riti, "quit teaching special ed at the end of the 2003 school year, and is now happily getting drunk every day." I guess her self-contempt finally caught up with her.

3. there is a PayPal button on their site. They insult for profit, not for love, in case anyone was confused about that.

4. they don't tell you where they work. I am certain a note to the administrator where they work would shut down that site in a heartbeat, and I'm certain they know it too.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:32 AM   #13
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I just started reading some of the other "submitted stories" that the authors apparently found amusing as well.

Quote:
"My dad has always worked with retarded kids, and sometimes he feels compelled to bring them into our home for events like Thanksgiving or birthday parties. This has been a source of horror for my mother and entertainment for me for years. "

"My best tard memory comes from elementary school, I was in the 5th grade or so. They used to let them out to recess at the same time as everyone else and even play with the normal kids. As you can imagine, hilarity frequently ensued. "

"My mom teaches pre-school for developmentally delayed 3 and 4 year olds. We'll call them Tards in Training [tits]. "

"In my 7th grade class, we had a tard who was really good at math and growing facial hair, and really bad at just about everything else. He was pretty much harmless, which was a good thing since he was physically ahead of the rest of us by 5 years and probably could have kicked all of our asses at once, but there were some funny moments, one of which I still remember clear as a bell 15 years later.

It was a normal day in the 7th grade. My friends and I were behaving like the bunch of little assholes that we were. In the afternoon, a couple of people who were affiliated with the police dept. showed up to talk to us about child abuse. Out came the goofy diagrams and movies where we got to learn that little Johnny made a big mistake putting his hands in his pockets and walking up to Mr. Molester in his 70's A-Team van. Don't walk home alone, scream "fire" if someone grabs you, blah, blah...

Then the lights came back on, and the two people from the police dept. started talking about how most sexual molestations were committed either by people that the kid knew, usually either family or friend's of the family, and how important it is to tell someone if that ever happened to one of us. Even 13 year-olds get a bit quiet when the subject of being butt-raped by Uncle Bob comes up, so the room was very quiet when Ms. Friendly-Cop asked the class, "Are there any questions that you'd like to ask us?"

Of course, there is dead silence at this point, as none of us want this conversation to continue any longer than it has to. Then, al of the sudden:

"Next door Jimmy made me suck his dick."

*loudest noise ever as someone drops a pencil on the floor*

Let me tell you, each and everyone of us kids wanted to be ANYWHERE but sitting in that classroom that day. The class tard was sitting in the middle of the room with everyone staring at him, from kids to teacher to the two cop wannabes. Finally one of them asked him to come outside and talk with them, and we didn't see him again for about a month. The principal was called in, and some psychiatrist lady showed up the next day to counsel our ever so slightly-more warped minds.

From the little I could find out later, "Next Door Jimmy" was another tard a year older than we were. Apparently he had a penchant for wanting to act out the things he saw on certain cable channels when the tuning knob let you see the picture - or hear the sound, but never both damnit! - through the scrambling. And I swear on my ability to ever score again with a hot chick that this is a 100% absolutely true story. It's one I like to tell when I'm shit-faced drunk at parties - which is about the only time I'm low enough to tell it, and given my lack of class, that says something about the story, trust me."

Still think they're not making fun of these kids?
Old 11-19-2003, 01:01 PM   #14
Airhog
Captain Obvious

my gf's mother teaches autistic kids. I have never heard her call any of her kids tards, and I can imagine she would be shocked and outraged to hear of another teaching calling her students this.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 01:13 PM   #15
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I don't doubt that special ed teachers have a difficult job, and like any tough situation I'm sure there's plenty of dark humor. But to post it up on a web site for all to see, and to encourage others to send in their own stories... sickening.

From the FAQ:
"[T]he humor employed on the page is Riti's own special, sarcastic brand..."

How nice. She's invented her own form of humor. What a truly brilliant person she must be. I wondered when someone would finally be the first to break the "saracastic, cruel and self-promoting humor on the Internet" barrier.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 01:21 PM   #16
samifan24
Pro Starter

I agree with Cam and the others who have pointed out just how senseless and humorless this blog really is. I have several relatives who are mentally handicapped and the fact that some of you find humor in this utterly disgusts me. The fact that you laugh at these people and their teacher's degrading commentary-- behind their backs--on a blog says something.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:27 PM   #17
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Now thats not to say that she never talks about the funny, or wierd stuff that her kids do in the classroom. but she never talks about them in a deameaning tone, or thinks any less of them as human beings.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 01:37 PM   #18
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Airhog was talking about his mom, not the blog owner.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:46 PM   #19
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by samifan24
I agree with Cam and the others who have pointed out just how senseless and humorless this blog really is. I have several relatives who are mentally handicapped and the fact that some of you find humor in this utterly disgusts me. The fact that you laugh at these people and their teacher's degrading commentary-- behind their backs--on a blog says something.

I laugh at every body. EVERYBODY including myself. I don't laugh to make fun or be superior. I laugh because it's the only way I can keep from crying. I don't believe that theres one of us better or worse than these kids.

I REFUSE to demean them by treating them less than any other human being I think about. I refuse to make them different. That would be doing them an injustice in my mind. It would be discriminating against them and I just don't feel that they deserve or need it.

They deserve to be treated with dignity and as normal as their condition allows and nothing that I remember reading made me think she dealt with them any differently.

Her musings made me laugh. I don't understand the first thing about life. It's fundamentally the biggest reason why I'm against killing things. I don't seek to destroy what I can't or don't understand.

I do understand though that all any living thing on this planet is doing is experiencing the world that has been presented to them and based on perspective there's a lot of different worlds in this one. Can't understand reality when it's not a zero sum game.

I also know that in the grand scheme I'm nowhere near qualified judge to the value of any particular life. I know what my lifes value is to me but not what it really is. Given that, I don't see how any idea I may take from observing other life forms doing the same thing I am, experiencing the world that is placed before them can be considered derogatory because I'm not playing the game on a scale. I don't know that what I do every day isn't more worthless or stupid or whatever scale we're using that day, than what they do.

This is just how I honestly feel. I'm not refuting what you say nor am I speaking for anyone but myself, but this is how my train of thought is on this subject more or less.

Sorry I disgust you.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:55 PM   #20
Two Thirds Rectal Trout
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by Axxon
I laugh at every body. EVERYBODY including myself. I don't laugh to make fun or be superior. I laugh because it's the only way I can keep from crying. I don't believe that theres one of us better or worse than these kids.

I REFUSE to demean them by treating them less than any other human being I think about. I refuse to make them different. That would be doing them an injustice in my mind. It would be discriminating against them and I just don't feel that they deserve or need it.

The act of laughing at someone can be demeaning.
Two Thirds Rectal Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 02:03 PM   #21
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Two Thirds Rectal Trout
The act of laughing at someone can be demeaning.

Yes it can but it hardly can be with me sitting alone in my room many miles from the acts I'm laughing at. Also, let me again reiterate it's the interactions and actions I find amusing. It's like being a voyeur and peeking into an entirely different world and seeing my world slightly atilt.

This is a popular devise that many many movies are based on and people eat it up. When they predecide though that someone's life situation is inferior they get uncomfortable and don't wish to go there. I can certainly understand that.

But no one is demeaning the kids in action, merely in thought and we're either being thought police and saying she shouldn't think her own thoughts or we're being censors and saying she shouldn't post them.

I feel that she shouldn't speak to the kids like this and she shouldn't demean them or make them feel bad but again, I didn't see where she did that.

If someone uses discretion and courtesy when dealing with me I'm usually pretty satisfied. I don't give much of a rip how they "really feel" because if I don't consider it, and they don't treat me according to it, then it really doesn't exist in my reality does it? I am a simple man and I'll take good actions and good deeds over noble and valiant thoughts any day.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:09 PM   #22
Butter
Coordinator

A cursory inspection of the site reveals the FAQ stating that the main original author of the site would never quit her job "because I love it."

Then later, "Riti quit teaching special ed at the end of the 2003 school year, and is now happily getting drunk every day."

Yes, it's all from love.

I agree that treating these people like anything other than regular people marginalizes them. However, her humor seems to me to clearly cross the line into serious contempt for these children.

My wife has taught special needs children on a regular basis at a high school level (probably a total of 12 weeks as a substitute), and now wants to go back to school so she can eventually do it full time. Never once did she ever laugh at these children as callously as the author does at that web site.

"Jason is a dumb shit and that's what he gets for running around the classroom" doesn't scream compassion to me.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:18 PM   #23
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Butter_of_69

"Jason is a dumb shit and that's what he gets for running around the classroom" doesn't scream compassion to me.

It doesn't have to though. Not every thought a person has about anything or anyone CAN scream compassion. It's impossible.

Know what I read into this? Jason was being a dumb shit. Last night I had an unfortunate microwave incident at work because I was being a total dumb shit. I think what happened to me was funny. I thought that when I was having no fun at all fixing my situation.

Know what else? I can relate to Jason. I don't even have to know that he's challenged and if presented the statement above without knowing this I'd react the same way.

Who was being a dumb shit doesn't enter into the picture. Every living thing at one time or another is a dumb shit. It's the one thing that lets us all know we're in this thing together. When I smile ( laugh would be overstating ) at that quote she's not talking about Jason, she's talking about being a human being and how this human being chose to react to his environment and the results. It's him being a human being, just like the rest of us reacting like the rest of us.

It's true that the words she uses are trigger words, designed to get the rise that she gets. At least that's what I suspect anyway.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:22 PM   #24
Subby
lolzcat

It is one thing to use humor to deal with the drudgery of everyday life. I wouldn't even fault her for laughing to herself about seemingly absurd situations in the classroom. Laughter helps you get through tough situations.

But to create a weblog - called TARDBLOG for chrissakes - callously making fun of the children she works with - mocking these kids for the benefit of her own shallowness - for all of the world to see - well, that crosses the line.

And to do it anonymously is just the fucking height of cowardice.

Old 11-19-2003, 02:26 PM   #25
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Subby

And to do it anonymously is just the fucking height of cowardice.

Of course. She should also just go ahead while she's at it and publish pictures and addresses of her students too since they will all obviously be identified if she is.

Seems you want her to cross a real line by actually putting human beings behind the essays. That would be pretty degrading IMHO and at the very least far worse than what she's done now by giving us characters that for all we know don't even exist.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:26 PM   #26
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Jason was being a dumb shit.

There's a semantic difference between saying he was being one at a certain point in time, and saying he "is" one.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:30 PM   #27
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
There's a semantic difference between saying he was being one at a certain point in time, and saying he "is" one.

Very true but I was saying what I got out of it not necessarily what she put into it. Also, in my line of work I've realized that one seldom can count on knowledge gained by semantical nuances since most people aren't really aware of them or good enough at expressing themselves anyway.

Don't get me started on miscommunication though. I don't have enough time to do the subject justice.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:34 PM   #28
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Of course. She should also just go ahead while she's at it and publish pictures and addresses of her students too since they will all obviously be identified if she is.

Seems you want her to cross a real line by actually putting human beings behind the essays. That would be pretty degrading IMHO and at the very least far worse than what she's done now by giving us characters that for all we know don't even exist.

Hahhahaha.

Are you a lawyer?
Old 11-19-2003, 02:37 PM   #29
Axxon
Pro Starter

No.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:37 PM   #30
Butter
Coordinator

I guess my problem is not so much the blog itself, or even her thoughts, but the fact that the author believes that she is actually being caring and loving towards these kids when the attitude she presents is much different. You can think one thing and do another, but eventually all of that contempt is going to seep through. I guess she drank to keep it all inside, though.

Maybe the whole thing is a hoax. Who knows.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:39 PM   #31
korme
Go Reds

I don't believe that is a real blog.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 02:41 PM   #32
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
I guess my problem is not so much the blog itself, or even her thoughts, but the fact that the author believes that she is actually being caring and loving towards these kids when the attitude she presents is much different. You can think one thing and do another, but eventually all of that contempt is going to seep through. I guess she drank to keep it all inside, though.

Maybe the whole thing is a hoax. Who knows.

True, but at least it's been fun discussing it. I hope I haven't offended you too much.

If it is true though I'd say that may well explain why she got out so quick. Maybe it was seeping out and she didn't want that. Maybe the blog was an attempt at letting it out and it wasn't working any more. Who knows???
Old 11-19-2003, 02:41 PM   #33
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
No.

You should be.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:42 PM   #34
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Subby
You should be.

Somehow I don't believe that's a compliment.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:45 PM   #35
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
I don't believe that is a real blog.

This is the first I've looked at this, and I'm amazed that Shorty is the first to spot this as a fake. Just check out this passage:

Quote:
I was going through the supermarket around 12:00AM last night. I usually shop late at night, as there is less of a chance of bumping into anyone I know. I was going through frozen food section, when I see one of my tards on the other side of the freezer glass, mashed in between packages of frozen corn and peas. He was smiling and fogging up the window while beating on the glass and saying "Miss Hammon!" over and over.

I really don't see how this could possibly be real, or how someone who works with the mentally disabled would call them tards, or create a site named tardblog.com.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 02:45 PM   #36
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yes it can but it hardly can be with me sitting alone in my room many miles from the acts I'm laughing at.

I believe it is demeaning because we all read the blog and you posted your comments in the forum for us to read them. While those you're laughing at will never know you're laughing at me, those of us here will.

To clarify: You don't disgust me, Axxon, but your act of laughing at this blog does. I am not trying to judge you, rather I find your finding humor in the situation to be offensive. That said, I wish special needs students to be treated the same as everyone else, but, in my opinion, the blog crosses the line. That's pretty much all I have to say on the topic and there's no sense in debating this since we all know where we stand on the issue.

edit- to add "will"

Last edited by samifan24 : 11-19-2003 at 02:47 PM.
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 02:55 PM   #37
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by samifan24
I believe it is demeaning because we all read the blog and you posted your comments in the forum for us to read them. While those you're laughing at will never know you're laughing at me, those of us here will.

To clarify: You don't disgust me, Axxon, but your act of laughing at this blog does. I am not trying to judge you, rather I find your finding humor in the situation to be offensive. That said, I wish special needs students to be treated the same as everyone else, but, in my opinion, the blog crosses the line. That's pretty much all I have to say on the topic and there's no sense in debating this since we all know where we stand on the issue.

edit- to add "will"

That's cool. I respect your opinion on this. We all have our lines that we don't want crossed.

I do have one question if you wouldn't mind taking a few moments to reply to. I'm not after a debate but a clarification.

Does the above mean that making a blog like this about anybody is crossing the line or is it because these are challenged kids?

I mean, the crux of my point is that this isn't offensive because these kids are different. If you say it's the former above then we agree on the main point I was making but you draw the line in a different place than I do.

That's why I asked this question. Are we closer in our opinions than we appear?

Last edited by Axxon : 11-19-2003 at 02:56 PM.
Axxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 03:04 PM   #38
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

we all laugh at other's misfortune... those extraordinary events that would make you cry otherwise.

The difference here is that these stories aren't extraordinary. They're the everday experiences of that child.

In essence, when you do a "dumb" thing, we can all laugh because it's out of the ordinary. We're laughing at the experience, not at you.

In the case of this blog... it just feels like we're supposed to be laughing at these kids.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:05 PM   #39
Hammer755
High School Varsity

That site has hoax written all over it.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:20 PM   #40
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by CamEdwards
we all laugh at other's misfortune... those extraordinary events that would make you cry otherwise.

The difference here is that these stories aren't extraordinary. They're the everday experiences of that child.

In essence, when you do a "dumb" thing, we can all laugh because it's out of the ordinary. We're laughing at the experience, not at you.

In the case of this blog... it just feels like we're supposed to be laughing at these kids.

That sums it up nicely Cam. Nice job.

I differ with you about your last paragraph. I just didn't get that feeling when I read it. I looked for it but I didn't see it.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:25 PM   #41
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

About whether it's real or not; I went looking for the usual "it's a parody" statement that you find (if you look for it) on a satire site. (There's a site somewhere that makes fun of religion, for instance. When you look for it you find the disclaimer.) I didn't find one at this site, but what I did find were some rude comments from the authors that were designed to defend their blog. There is an obvious attempt to get you to think it's real.

I have no doubt that some, or maybe even *all* of what is written on that site is fictional. The cynicism it takes to put a site like that together would no doubt find little value in something like "truth".

On reflection I am just as shocked as anyone to see any teacher making something like this. But I did know my share of teachers who had nothing but contempt for their students when they were in the teacher's lounge. Did you see the Simpsons this last weekend? Caretaker Willie had nothing on some of the teachers I knew.. But none of them would have said anything like that in public.

Perhaps because the blog appears to be anonymous (though the names seem real enough) it *is* real teachers, but it really wouldn't make sense. Not many people would go through the hassles of getting the necessary education if they were really that cynical. So unless this is a private school.. I guess I have to say I am not sure, but on reflection I agree it's unlikely real teachers did this.

But the larger point, to me, is the risk that kids will read it. We are already grown up and have our characters formed -- but trust me, kids don't need any schooling on being meaner to their weak schoolmates. A site like this one helps to create an atmosphere in which that inborn inhumanity is indulged. It ought to come down.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:39 PM   #42
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

I guess this is dolaposting..

Here's your man:

http://tuckermax.com/

I am too squeemish to read much of those stories, but I did read a little of the first and second teacher; when I did I noticed they have the same writing style, so "boing" the little light goes off. Then I started sleuthing and came up with the author and his main web page. He's a writer, he thinks he's funny, and that's all there is to it.

Slimeball. And he claims to be a lawyer, but I don't know any lawyers who would act like that so I think that's just another of his acts.

So that should tie up all the loose ends.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:48 PM   #43
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Does the above mean that making a blog like this about anybody is crossing the line or is it because these are challenged kids?

That's why I asked this question. Are we closer in our opinions than we appear?

Axxon, I think Cam's post above just about sums my beliefs up. In my opinion, the "humor" behind the blog is because the author has, apparently, intended the humor to stem from their description of what would otherwise be everyday occurances in the life of the handicapped; but because these seemingly everday occurances are put on display for everyone to read via the blog, they are, apparently, meant to be funny. That's what I have a problem with, Axxon. I hope I answered your question.

edit- I keep forgetting words...

Last edited by samifan24 : 11-19-2003 at 03:49 PM.
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote