MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 11:16 PM   #3
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Frank Solich in 6 years at Nebraska: 58-19, 33-15
One Big 12 title, one national championship appearance

Tom Osborne's first 6 years at Nebraska: 55-16-2, 31-11-1
Two co-Big 8 titles (one Orange Bowl), no national title shots

Says all you need to know about the state of college football today. If Osborne were held to the same standard as Solich, he would have been fired in 1978.

I'll agree that Solich isn't half the coach Osborne was. But there are only about half a dozen guys coaching today who are. I hate to be the next guy at Nebraska -- if Solich's efforts are considered a "failure," they are going to expect the next guy to walk on water.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 11:23 PM   #4
The_herd
College Starter

The thing about Nebraska is the fact that they have trouble hiring outside the program because of all the resistance to bringing offense in line with the state of college football today. No coach in his right mind would take that job if they insist on running the wishbone as their base offensive set. You can't recruit players for it anymore. The last good I-Back they had was Ahman Green, just several forgettable names since he left.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:11 AM   #5
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by kcchief19

Says all you need to know about the state of college football today. If Osborne were held to the same standard as Solich, he would have been fired in 1978.

I'll agree that Solich isn't half the coach Osborne was. But there are only about half a dozen guys coaching today who are. I hate to be the next guy at Nebraska -- if Solich's efforts are considered a "failure," they are going to expect the next guy to walk on water.

Not just a problem in college football. Sports in general are like this!
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 04:17 AM   #6
MrBug708
Head Coach

And people think following up John Wooden is tough
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 06:20 AM   #7
miami_fan
Coordinator

Would have been really interesting if Mike Stoops got this job instead of the Arizona job.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-30-2003, 10:25 AM   #8
Toddiec
Mascot

I just want to chime in as a transplanted Nebraskan that now lives in Kansas who went to all the home games this year. Solich's head was being called for since the beginning of the year, but it really picked up steam after losing to Texas and Missouri and then reached unstoppable speed after that horrible K-State game. There are a few reasons why this happened (in my opinion):

1) Even though his record was similar to Osborne's record, the common thought up here is that he rode on Osborne's players (including one guy named Eric Crouch that carried this team). The new wave of Solich recruits are sub-par athletically and it showed in the big games when we got our butts kicked.

2) New AD comes in and wants to bring in his own guy. Solich was hired mostly because Osborne wanted him and wanted to stay in the family.

3) Contrary to popular opinion, fans in Lincoln are screaming for a passing attack. I can remember at least ten instances in the home games I attended that we had wide open recievers running wide open down the field and Jamaal Lord (who has excellent arm strength, but the accuracy and touch of a blind man playing horseshoes) completely missing them. So fans started yelling for Joe Daley (redshirt Frosh QB) to be put in because he had looked good in the preseason (and he could THROW THE BALL). Solich instead decided to stick with Lord (but not until he ripped the redshirt off Daley to play him in garbage time) and I think that turned the fans against him.

4) You don't lose to Missouri. You don't let K-State come into Lincoln and slap us around like rag dolls. Period, end of story.

Well, to make a long story short, this is one Nebraska football fan who thinks this is exactly the right decision. Sure Solich won 9 games, but you can see the program getting weaker and weaker. Was Solich good...yes. Can Nebraska do better....yes.

Thanks for letting me rant!
Toddiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 11:59 AM   #9
JeeberD
General Manager

Solich is more than welcome to come to El Paso once Gary Nord gets fired...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 01:18 PM   #10
Taur
High School Varsity

Quote:

I'll agree that Solich isn't half the coach Osborne was.
What osborne are you refering to? The Veteran Osborne that retired or the one that was just starting out in Nebraska?

I belive unless the athletic director can pull a "superStar" coack out of his hat, his head will be the next to fall.

Unless Nebraska has already signed Bill Parcells this will be a giant mistake. Just a plain stupid move to fire a coach who was in line to record his 10th victory of the season.

Last edited by Taur : 11-30-2003 at 01:19 PM.
Taur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 01:26 PM   #11
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Taur, I agree. Short of heisting Bob Stoops out of Oklahoma, I'm not sure who Nebraska can hire who will have a honeymoon longer than half a season if he doesn't win immediately.

No doubt that Nebraska doesn't have the talent that it had in the final few years of the Osborne era. I just think the Huskers are going to have to get extremely lucky to hire a coach who will be significantly better than Solich.

Here's what I want and don't want to hear:

-- I want to hear all those NCAA college presidents and athletic directors who claim that academics are No. 1 and winning isn't important denounce this firing vehemently. Otherwise, it just proves that college sports is a business.

-- I don't want to hear the Nebraska AD or president being one of those. Nothing would be funnier than hearing one of these clowns come out and try to say that this firing is about anything other than Nebraska expects national titles and nothing else, no matter what.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 07:09 PM   #12
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:

Solich with Osborne's recruits: 42-9 .824
Solich with Solich's recruits: 16-10 .615

There is no way that you can sugar-coat this. The current Nebraska team does not have the team speed or the athleticism of the Osborne teams. Nebraska's recruiting has declined significantly since Solich arrived. They are no longer getting the blue-chip talent at the skill positions that allows them to compete for conference and national championships.

Frank Solich is a nice, honorable man. The AD was faced with a choice. Were they content to remain a mid-tier Big XII team and play in a minor bowl every year, or do they have aspirations of getting back to the level of competing for conference and national championships?
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 07:15 PM   #13
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

John Shoop should be looking for a job soon, hopefully.

Send his ass to Nebraska, and then I shall rejoice when Colorado olibterates them for the next few seasons.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 07:16 PM   #14
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Coffee Warlord
John Shoop should be looking for a job soon, hopefully.

Send his ass to Nebraska, and then I shall rejoice when Colorado olibterates them for the next few seasons.

The only person in the world that could make Nebraska's offense worse.
Old 11-30-2003, 10:42 PM   #15
sooner333
College Starter

I know they want to run a spread offense now, that is really going to be a prerequisite. What if they keep Pelini as DC and then hire Mike Leach as Head Coach/OC. I think that would be an interesting match, although Leach is a little too weird of a guy for such a big-time program.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 11:36 PM   #16
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Start the Spurrier watch in Lincoln...
Old 11-30-2003, 11:58 PM   #17
Taur
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by BigJohn&TheLions

Now, that would qualify as pulling the rabbit out of the hat.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:51 AM   #18
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vegas Vic

There is no way that you can sugar-coat this. The current Nebraska team does not have the team speed or the athleticism of the Osborne teams. Nebraska's recruiting has declined significantly since Solich arrived. They are no longer getting the blue-chip talent at the skill positions that allows them to compete for conference and national championships.

Completely true! as a Nebraska alum, I can tell you that we don't care if you go 10-3, but we do care when Texas, K-State, and Missouri wipe the floor with us. It became clear the team was beginning to devolve into mediocrity as the AD said. And it comes down to one thing: Solich simply can't recruit blue chip prospects. Thus, we are left with a mediocre team that can't beat the top teams. This is totally unacceptable at Nebraska. And if it continued, the team was in trouble in the future. The AD did the right thing and nipped the problem in the bud.

I also agree that Nebraska fans do indeed want a modern passing attack. Seeing whatever QB running a draw play out of the shotgun on 3 and 10 time after time is incredibly frustrating and has caused me to yell at the TV a number of times. Please get us a coach who will pass the ball and recruit a QB who can throw. Pretty please!!
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 04:26 AM   #19
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

It all depends on the number of golf courses Nebraska has!
Old 12-01-2003, 07:29 AM   #20
mckerney
Coordinator

They should hire Glen Mason.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 01:16 PM   #21
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by Toddiec
4) You don't lose to Missouri. You don't let K-State come into Lincoln and slap us around like rag dolls. Period, end of story.

Big Losses to Rivials = Fire Frank and bring in BO.

We need a coach with some fire and spirit = BO

We need a Young Coach not a 59 year old = BO 35

We need to Recruit = BO neb has 4 Linebacker Verbal already

We need to change the System, for good or bad = BO

Now, I was shocked when I first heard the good news because this is something Nebraska is not know for, so it was a shock. I believe Steve P. has some good Idea's and he's willing to do what ever it takes to win.... Period...
Old 12-01-2003, 01:22 PM   #22
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vegas Vic

Well, one of the reasons Osborne left is the fact that all those teams were loaded with PQs that weren't allowed in the Big XII. Osborne recruited under a different set of rules than Solich.
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 01:26 PM   #23
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by A-Husker-4-Life
he's willing to do what ever it takes to win.... Period...

You say this like its a good thing. It is exactly the attitude that stinks about college sports these days.

I'm sorry but you Nebraska fans are coming across like a bunch of whiny spoiled brats. You do not have a divine right to a national championship contending football team.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:31 PM   #24
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

if Nebraska hadn't fired Solich they'd be down the same path that Syracuse is now (not trying to say SU was ever at the Nebraska level).

I'll trade you Passthebaloney for Solich tho
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 01:42 PM   #25
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by Samdari
I'm sorry but you Nebraska fans are coming across like a bunch of whiny spoiled brats. You do not have a divine right to a national championship contending football team.

I don't know about you Samdari or your favorite College team, but I like to see Nebraska complete for a National title every year. 9-3 isn't completing at a national level and we can't wait for Solich to get things working because he's 59. We need some body with youth and new idea's, you saw how Nebraska's offense looked.

Now for you to call me names, that just plain uncalled for and I hope you feel better about yourself.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:52 PM   #26
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Big Losses to Rivials = Fire Frank and bring in BO.

We need a coach with some fire and spirit = BO

We need a Young Coach not a 59 year old = BO 35

We need to Recruit = BO neb has 4 Linebacker Verbal already

We need to change the System, for good or bad = BO

How does body odor(BO) figure into this?
Old 12-01-2003, 02:06 PM   #27
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
I don't know about you Samdari or your favorite College team, but I like to see Nebraska complete for a National title every year. 9-3 isn't completing at a national level and we can't wait for Solich to get things working because he's 59. We need some body with youth and new idea's, you saw how Nebraska's offense looked.

Now for you to call me names, that just plain uncalled for and I hope you feel better about yourself.

I call's em like I see's em. I get very little from calling people names. But, the "we HAVE to win the national championship" attitude IS whiny, and spoiled. If you are comfortable being like that fine, keep that attitude. It really won't effect my life either way.

Your line about an administrator wanting to "win at all costs" is very disturbing. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread about Nebraska becoming Syracuse if they did not fire Solich. Maybe, but having an administrator with at win at all costs attitude will lead you to becoming St. Bonaventure or having Jim Harrick as your basketball coach.

My team is Syracuse. I have thought for years that Pasqualoni was a terrible football coach, and yet more proud of the fact that my program is run with class and integrity.

If you disagree, and value winning over principles, that's your choice. I am not even going to try to convince you otherwise. But, please, don't go on a message board, whine like a spoiled brat, and then do it again when someone recognizes such behavior and gives it the appropriate label.

Last edited by Samdari : 12-01-2003 at 02:07 PM.
Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 02:09 PM   #28
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

samdari - please please please don't tell me you want the P and D show to come back next year do you?

I'll be the 1st one to say that (for the most part sadie's fight in stands at RU ) P runs a respectable program with high graduation rates but this is ridiculous. Back to back losing seasons, he wants us to be happy with .500 which isn't going to happen. Rumor has it all the students are wearing grocery bags on their heads at sat's ND game
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 02:19 PM   #29
Samdari
Roster Filler

No, now is the time for P.

I do like the fact that Jake has a slow trigger finger. Comes off more classy than firing guys every couple years. People have wanted to fire him for a long time now though.

He's toast though. It would be ironic if they got Solich. It's also ironic that the real final nail in P's coffin is perceived to be the 'stealing' of Joe Dailey by Nebrasksa.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:34 PM   #30
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by Samdari
My team is Syracuse.

This explains everything..... Too Bad for you
Old 12-01-2003, 02:41 PM   #31
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This explains everything..... Too Bad for you

You know, even after getting our asses kicked yet another time at Memorial Stadium during the annual KU-NU game when there is more red than blue, it always makes me smile when I remember that you have to go back to Lincoln or Omaha or some other hellhole.

Nothing like trying to paint Samdari as a name-calling idiot when you come back with this gem.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 02:51 PM   #32
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Huckleberry
Well, one of the reasons Osborne left is the fact that all those teams were loaded with PQs that weren't allowed in the Big XII. Osborne recruited under a different set of rules than Solich.

Good Lord I'm glad someone pointed this out. Solich is recruiting under a vastly different set of rules than Osborne did.

This doesn't even take into account the fact Solich had the job of trying to get Nebraska back to respectibility in the medias eyes after the high amount of problems the last few sets of Osborne recruits had.

I don't think Solich is that good of a coach. I don't necessarily think it was the wrong move to fire him. I don't think they'll be contending for national championships every year. I think that'll be tough to pull off from ANYONE in the Big12. Even Oklahoma will have a down year or two. Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, and Missouri are all up and coming teams. Colorado, K-State, and Texas Tech will be bowl calibur teams in most years. Texas and Oklahoma are powerhouses (of course, if Nebraska gets in the top 10, they won't have to worry about beating a Mack Brown coached team)

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 03:08 PM   #33
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF
Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, and Missouri are all up and coming teams.

I've heard this for the past 47 consecutive seasons.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:28 PM   #34
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Butter_of_69
I've heard this for the past 47 consecutive seasons.

Really? Interesting.

Missouri knocked of the Huskers and have a terrific young QB and a great coach.

Oklahoma State did lose to Nebraska, OU and Texas. . . but had beaten OU two consecutive seasons and still had a great season along with two terrific recruiting classes.

A&M will only get better with their new coach.

None of the three will be cakewalks for any opponent in the coming years, especially when teams have to travel to their sites. I'm not saying they'll all be in the top 25 every year. . . but they don't have to be to make the conferece a difficult place either.

OU might be the last team to run the table in the Big12 for the next 5 to 10 years.

TroyF
Old 12-01-2003, 03:59 PM   #35
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

Quote:
OU might be the last team to run the table in the Big12 for the next 5 to 10 years.

This is one of the reason's Frank is gone.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:03 PM   #36
Huckleberry
College Starter

Troy -

I am just about sick of agreeing with you and your agreeing with me. Thankfully you threw in a swipe at Mack Brown at the end. Otherwise I would have had to do something drastic.

By the way, I felt real sorry for Wilder on Friday when he hurt his leg trying to leg whip the Nebraska DE. Seriously, though. Wilder's dad posts on HornFans and is a tremendous ass. I would have felt sorry for Wilder up until I heard that he's the source of all of his dad's vitriol. Seems the kid is a punk. Oh well.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 06:19 PM   #37
tucker342
Pro Starter

It's not Solich's fault that no one will come to Nebraska. Who would ever want to go play for a team that never passes the ball.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 06:52 PM   #38
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the gift the coaches poll gave Osborne when he announced his retirement... We are now stuck with the BCS, partially due to this...
Old 12-01-2003, 07:10 PM   #39
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the gift the coaches poll gave Osborne when he announced his retirement.

Yeah, their 13-0 record and 42-17 squeeker over Tennessee in the Orange Bowl were hardly worthy of the gift. After all, Ahman Green only rushed for 206 yards, and the defensive effort was pretty pathetic, allowing Peyton Manning to pass for 134 yards.

Michigan's 21-16 blowout over Ryan Leaf's powerhouse Washington State Cougars was much more worthy of National Championship consideration.

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 12-01-2003 at 07:12 PM.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 09:20 PM   #40
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the gift the coaches poll gave Osborne when he announced his retirement... We are now stuck with the BCS, partially due to this...

Gift? Huh? I am sorry, but EVERYBODY knows that NU would have mopped the floor with Michigan in 1997. I look forward to the day when the Big 10 stop getting the "gifts" from the "unbiased" media. I put more faith in the coaches poll any day.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:23 PM   #41
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by tucker342
It's not Solich's fault that no one will come to Nebraska. Who would ever want to go play for a team that never passes the ball.

Actually it is. Solich is the one who decides whether to pass or run. And his old school running offense was killing us, both on the field and in recruiting!
Old 12-01-2003, 09:40 PM   #42
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Huckleberry
Troy -

I am just about sick of agreeing with you and your agreeing with me. Thankfully you threw in a swipe at Mack Brown at the end. Otherwise I would have had to do something drastic.

By the way, I felt real sorry for Wilder on Friday when he hurt his leg trying to leg whip the Nebraska DE. Seriously, though. Wilder's dad posts on HornFans and is a tremendous ass. I would have felt sorry for Wilder up until I heard that he's the source of all of his dad's vitriol. Seems the kid is a punk. Oh well.

That was horrible, wasn't it? That should have been called. Dirty play.

It's hard for me to hate the kid though. He came back in the game despite the injury. He also improved by leaps and bounds as the year progressed. He started out as a DT. Had 5 sacks last year and was projected to start. Because of injuries and ineffective play at the OT position, he was moved there in fall drills.

He had a heck of a year for someone just learning the position. CU, for a nice change, will return 80% of the starting OL next year.

Not sure if you've heard or not, but it looks as though Bobby Purify will get a medical redshirt this year and be playing again next year.

He isn't a Heisman candidate, just a 1 star recruit who worked his ass off to become a solid player. If you can't cheer for Wilder, you can admire him at least.

I had to take the shot at Mack. It's like talking about basketball without talking about Shaq's shoulder drops or me uttering the name "Thomas Jones" in every fantasy draft I ever take part of. . . I can't help myself.

TroyF
Old 12-02-2003, 07:58 AM   #43
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by Vinatieri for Prez
Gift? Huh? I am sorry, but EVERYBODY knows that NU would have mopped the floor with Michigan in 1997. I look forward to the day when the Big 10 stop getting the "gifts" from the "unbiased" media. I put more faith in the coaches poll any day.

Why? Coaches NEVER see games other than their upcoming opponents. An SEC (for example) coach knows more about football than a member of the media, but since they were extremely unlikely to watch even one game of Michigan or Nebraska do they really know who's better? Many coaches do not even vote themselves but have someone else in the athletic department do it. On the face of it, your argument has merit, the coaches would be better able to judge quality than the media. But, they have not seen any of the evidence.

Nebraska may have been a better team than Michigan. That does not change the fact that that championship was a going away present from other coaches.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:09 AM   #44
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Missouri knocked of the Huskers and have a terrific young QB and a great coach.

Oklahoma State did lose to Nebraska, OU and Texas. . . but had beaten OU two consecutive seasons and still had a great season along with two terrific recruiting classes.

A&M will only get better with their new coach.

Oklahoma State was hyped coming into this year.... A&M has been hyped for the past few years, everyone saying they would be "better"....Mizzou will probably stay around 7-8 wins every year. Maybe they'll prove me wrong. But until someone besides the Big 3 breaks through in the Big XII, I see little reason to question the status quo.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:16 AM   #45
RendeR
Coordinator

Until nebraska gets a real offense and starts playing games that aren't less interesting that watching paint peel off the side of ships stored at the navals yards in bremerton. I personally think they can rot in that midwestern hell they call Lincoln.

I've grown so sick of Nebraska this, Nebraska that. I've seen nothing from nebraska in recent years to merit a top 10 ranking let alone a shot at the title a couple years back.

Maybe with a new coach and new ideas they'll join the current century on offense and make paying attention to them more bearable than a root canal.

Its not like a change can make things worse.

Let's see K-state and Oklahoma State dominate for a few years.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote