Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-06-2004, 12:08 PM   #1
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Shot in the dark: golf courses near LA?

just giving this a blind shot, maybe someone will know something...

does anyone know of any good courses in the greater LA area? im willing to drive like an hour to get there, so long as the course isnt overrun and nasty. valley, city, beach, desert, i dont care, i just want to know if anyone knows of a course worth playing?

heres to hoping. thanks.

edit, thats Los Angeles, California, not Louisiana.

Last edited by Pyser : 01-06-2004 at 12:09 PM.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 01:47 PM   #2
Pyser
Pro Rookie

2nd page in under 2 hours? wow. bump!
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 01:52 PM   #3
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Pyser, sorry, but I live all the way across the country. If you ever need a primer in Philadelphia region golf courses, let me know.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 02:01 PM   #4
digamma
Torchbearer

How much do you want to pay?

The consensus best daily fee (public) golf course in LA is Pelican Hill, in Orange County. You pay for what you get, however. Their weekend rates are outrageous, but they have somewhat reasonable weekday twilight rates.

Ocean Trails can be decent. It is the course that lost 4 holes in a mud slide several years ago. They still only have 15 holes open, but for the views you get, it can be worth it. It is in Palos Verdes.

Closer to LA, Brookside at the Rose Bowl is a decent track.

Industry Hills in Whittier/the City of Industry isn't bad, but if you play a hook at all, you will struggle there.

On the north side of town you have Robinson Ranch and Lost (Ball) Canyons. Both are very nice in the winter, but tend to dry out in the summer.

Also, try Cypress, Tiger Woods' childhood course, just northeast of Long Beach. It can have reasonable greens fees and is usually not that crowded.

The real coup is if you can get someone to get you on one of the private courses--Riviera, LA CC, Wilshire or Anendale.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 05:22 PM   #5
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Also, try Cypress, Tiger Woods' childhood course, just northeast of Long Beach. It can have reasonable greens fees and is usually not that crowded.

Cypress looks like a black diamond mogul run (just not steep). I always wanted to play there, but never did.

He played a lot of golf next door at Los Alamito's with his father. A few of the groundskeepers, if you catch them just hanging out, will tell you a tale or two about Tiger and Earl's days stomping around Los Al...he hit his first hole in one there at age 9 or something crazy like that and his father dinged one in the cup from the tee in a tournament.

That's the course my buddy put a golf ball and his golf club into the water on a rainy day. And due to the muddly slopes (to complete the trifecta) pulled the golf cart too close to the edge while searching for his club, the ground gave way, and the cart, the two of us, and our clubs all took a bath. It too 8 golfers to retrieve the cart from the water. Club and Ball are still at large.

Last edited by Dutch : 01-06-2004 at 05:22 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 05:31 PM   #6
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally posted by Dutch
Cypress looks like a black diamond mogul run (just not steep). I always wanted to play there, but never did.

He played a lot of golf next door at Los Alamito's with his father. A few of the groundskeepers, if you catch them just hanging out, will tell you a tale or two about Tiger and Earl's days stomping around Los Al...he hit his first hole in one there at age 9 or something crazy like that and his father dinged one in the cup from the tee in a tournament.

That's the course my buddy put a golf ball and his golf club into the water on a rainy day. And due to the muddly slopes (to complete the trifecta) pulled the golf cart too close to the edge while searching for his club, the ground gave way, and the cart, the two of us, and our clubs all took a bath. It too 8 golfers to retrieve the cart from the water. Club and Ball are still at large.

I've only played Cypress once. It is a tough course.

And you get a few stories there too. There is a long par five, with a set of railroad ties behind the black tees. From the railroad ties it is probably a 625 yard hole. The marshal, who happened to drive by while we were playing that hole, told us Tiger used to tee off from behind the railroad ties. Some things just aren't fair.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote