Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-15-2004, 09:13 PM   #1
sjshaw
lolzcat

Man arrested for carrying "F U G B" sign

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/du...al/8664932.htm

I'm a republican, but I'm voting for Kerry. This kind of garbage is out of control. Ashcroft is the most dangerous man since J. Edgar Hoover. This country is totally farked.

sjshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 09:18 PM   #2
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Eh, the guy was trying to be a smartass attention whore. Got what he deserved.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 09:23 PM   #3
JeffNights
College Prospect

Platteville Police Lt. Tom Schmid said a business owner along the street had complained about the sign, and officers thought children might see it. Van den Bosch wrote the letters "r e e" and "s" in tiny print, Schmid said.

"We had to take some action," Schmid said. "If we were wrong, then the citation will be voided and taken care of that way. That's the way the system is supposed to work."

No you assclown.....thats definately not how it works...you cant ARREST somebody becasue you think you might be right...

fucking patriot act.
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 09:24 PM   #4
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
since when cant you walk around with a sign with the letters F U G W printed on it?

Last edited by chinaski : 05-15-2004 at 09:25 PM.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 09:26 PM   #5
sjshaw
lolzcat

Quote:

I am praying that is a poor attempt at sarcasm.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:28 PM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshaw

I'm a republican, but I'm voting for Kerry. This kind of garbage is out of control. Ashcroft is the most dangerous man since J. Edgar Hoover. This country is totally farked.

Eh, disorderly conduct sounds about right. The guy was definitely attention whoring & was creating a situation where there could definitely been an ass-whipping involved.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 09:30 PM   #7
clintl
College Starter

Then arrest the thugs who attack him, rather than the guy exercising constitutionally protected rights.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 09:31 PM   #8
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
I am praying that is a poor attempt at sarcasm.
Sorry, it wasn't. When someone acts like a jackass in public, I'm happy when they get called on it.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:34 PM   #9
sjshaw
lolzcat

Quote:
Sorry, it wasn't. When someone acts like a jackass in public, I'm happy when they get called on it.

I pray that one day you are arrested for exercising your constitutionally-protected rights. People like you and Jon are bigger threats to this country than Al-Queda ever was or is.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:36 PM   #10
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
I pray that one day you are arrested for exercising your constitutionally-protected rights. People like you and Jon are bigger threats to this country than Al-Queda ever was or is.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:36 PM   #11
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

I'm not sure what Ashcroft has to do with the local police citing a man for $240.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 09:39 PM   #12
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:

Without commenting on the thread's original content, I'd say that the rollie-eyes doesn't do this comment justice. Just when I think I can't possibly see a more idiotic thing on this board, someone shows me there's no end to ignorance.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 09:42 PM   #13
sjshaw
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
I'm not sure what Ashcroft has to do with the local police citing a man for $240.

It's the culture that this administration has created where individual rights are less important than anything tenuously connected to terrorism. Notice how the Bush administration tries to connect people like this guy, the guy in S.C. (Brett Bursey), and the others to "threats against the president" (a.k.a. terrorists) even though that logic is ridiculous.

I'm a libertarian/republican who values my right to be free from arrest for speech that those in power may dislike. This administration does not share that view. They will not be getting my vote again.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:43 PM   #14
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
People like you and Jon are bigger threats to this country than Al-Queda ever was or is.

just unreal.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 09:43 PM   #15
sjshaw
lolzcat

Quote:

I hope you get killed before you procreate.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:45 PM   #16
Cuckoo
College Starter

I just felt sorry for you before sjshaw. Now I really think you should go away.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:45 PM   #17
JeffNights
College Prospect

So hey..whos up for a game of yahoo! pool?

anybody? anybody?
Old 05-15-2004, 09:45 PM   #18
sjshaw
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
I just felt sorry for you before sjshaw. Now I really think you should go away.

Funny, I feel the same about you and the rest of the nutjobs like you on this board.

Last edited by sjshaw : 05-15-2004 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:46 PM   #19
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:

I hope you get banned before you can post again.

Last edited by Cuckoo : 05-15-2004 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:47 PM   #20
Hurst2112
College Starter

The humane society just called. They heard there was a cat fight here.

Jeeze you guys...why does every political thread turn to something nasty?
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 09:48 PM   #21
sjshaw
lolzcat

Why? That is no more offensive than your comments to me.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:50 PM   #22
Cuckoo
College Starter

I called your comparison of VPI and Jon to Al Qaeda an ignorant comment. You wished death upon someone. Can you really not see a difference?
Old 05-15-2004, 09:50 PM   #23
JeffNights
College Prospect

Ummm....So nobody wants to play YahoO! pool with me eh?

Seriously settle down people....I think we can all state our opinion and then not have a flame war open up...
Old 05-15-2004, 09:51 PM   #24
sjshaw
lolzcat

If you truly think my comment was serious, you are a sad person.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:52 PM   #25
sjshaw
lolzcat

People like the ones in this thread lend more evidence to the fact that I am not at home in the republican party anymore. I wish libertarians had a clue on how to get elected.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:55 PM   #26
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
What an asshole.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:56 PM   #27
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
It's the culture that this administration has created where individual rights are less important than anything tenuously connected to terrorism. Notice how the Bush administration tries to connect people like this guy, the guy in S.C. (Brett Bursey), and the others to "threats against the president" (a.k.a. terrorists) even though that logic is ridiculous.

I'm a libertarian/republican who values my right to be free from arrest for speech that those in power may dislike. This administration does not share that view. They will not be getting my vote again.

Things like this has been going on for decades/centuries. It gets more attention now because 1) media wants to create perception and 2) we have a public eager for "news" like this.

How can you blame "them" for the culture when the public demands security. Go look at all of those polls the clearly shows that the public favors security over privacy. Go look at all of those Congressional representatives (including yours) that gleefully passed the Patriot Act (which the DoJ is doing job that is mandated by Congress, including laws that has been on the books for many years).

You know I am a vocal libertarian so I am not making excuses. I am just pointing out the double standard: everyone wants nothing to happen but when measures are taken to ensure that nothing happens, the same people become critical.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 09:56 PM   #28
sjshaw
lolzcat

Looks like I finally get to populate my ignore list.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:58 PM   #29
sjshaw
lolzcat

Bucc, the polls now show Bush behind. Polls change with the wind. In fact, I have seen plenty of polls that indicate people are very nervous with this administration's policies concerning individual freedom.

We'll just have to see in November. That's a poll that means something.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:58 PM   #30
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
Jeeze you guys...why does every political thread turn to something nasty?

Now Hurst, I ain't bitchin' at you, and I'm not trying to be an ass to you, so I hope you take this as a general remark & not a personal one, but ... I keep answering this question when I see it, and I really don't understand why it even occasionally surprises anyone when things get nasty in a political thread.

It's because the two sides really don't like each other. Not hardly a little bit. And often, we find that we downright dislike the other side. And sometimes, we sincerely & deeply fucking hate each other.

I don't really believe (R) or (D) have much to do with it, those are just labels that are handy to apply to the vast amount of differences in beliefs & values that drive the two sides, a sort of time-saving shorthand that covers a lot of territory. Sort of like the "Here's Your Sign" song talks about, it saves a lot of time if you know certain things up front.

But that's why political threads have a tendency to get nasty -- it's because each side is pretty much diametrically opposed to the goals/wants/ needs/desires of the other. And under most circumstances, people in that situation are called "enemies". And most people aren't particuarly nice to their enemies.

Jon
Old 05-15-2004, 10:00 PM   #31
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:

Ban this guy, please.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 10:01 PM   #32
sjshaw
lolzcat

Yeah, ban me, because a joke is so much worse than Jon advocating genocide.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:03 PM   #33
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Bucc, the polls now show Bush behind. Polls change with the wind. In fact, I have seen plenty of polls that indicate people are very nervous with this administration's policies concerning individual freedom.

We'll just have to see in November. That's a poll that means something.

I wasn't speaking of "polls" such as these. But I call BS on your statement because 1) people don't know what individual freedom means, 2) half of any respondents will automatically say the opposite of the current administration and 3) they still want the security.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:05 PM   #34
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

One guess where these guys polled in on the "show youre age" thread.

By the way I'm being sarcastic.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:05 PM   #35
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
Without commenting on the thread's original content, I'd say that the rollie-eyes doesn't do this comment justice. Just when I think I can't possibly see a more idiotic thing on this board, someone shows me there's no end to ignorance.
While I appreciate the bit of defense, I guess some combination of fairness or masochism compels me to make a comment:

Speaking as one of the targets of that comment, I really wasn't bothered by it. Not one iota.

He was being honest. Blunt, but honest. And I got no problem with that. Hell, I prefer it to somebody who wiggles & waffles & suffers constant chafing from their efforts to always straddle the fence.

Now, it ain't real likely that he & I are going to exchange Christmas cards. Nor do I think it'd be a real good idea for us to have lunch together, or for anyone to invite us to a party with an open bar & then seat us together.

But I don't think it's a stretch to think that we knew that before this thread ever started.

Anyhoo, I'm not trying to step on your right to comment on his comment, that's your call not mine. I'm just saying that I wasn't really offended by his post in the least.

Jon

{edited to add} And FTR (not to Cuckoo, just in general), I'm about as quick-trigger, hard-ass, heavy-handed moderator style as you'll ever find. But I don't see anything that remotely warrants a banning or even a warning in this thread. (but hey, it's early yet )

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-15-2004 at 10:08 PM. Reason: adding a short postscript
Old 05-15-2004, 10:05 PM   #36
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
People like you and Jon are bigger threats to this country than Al-Queda ever was or is.

This is one of the most ignorant things I've ever read on this board. They're right: the roll-eyes smilie doesn't do this comment justice.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:05 PM   #37
sjshaw
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
I wasn't speaking of "polls" such as these. But I call BS on your statement because 1) people don't know what individual freedom means, 2) half of any respondents will automatically say the opposite of the current administration and 3) they still want the security.

So, does that mean it was acceptable for this guy to be arrested or not?
Old 05-15-2004, 10:05 PM   #38
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Now Hurst, I ain't bitchin' at you, and I'm not trying to be an ass to you, so I hope you take this as a general remark & not a personal one, but ... I keep answering this question when I see it, and I really don't understand why it even occasionally surprises anyone when things get nasty in a political thread.

It's because the two sides really don't like each other. Not hardly a little bit. And often, we find that we downright dislike the other side. And sometimes, we sincerely & deeply fucking hate each other.

I don't really believe (R) or (D) have much to do with it, those are just labels that are handy to apply to the vast amount of differences in beliefs & values that drive the two sides, a sort of time-saving shorthand that covers a lot of territory. Sort of like the "Here's Your Sign" song talks about, it saves a lot of time if you know certain things up front.

But that's why political threads have a tendency to get nasty -- it's because each side is pretty much diametrically opposed to the goals/wants/ needs/desires of the other. And under most circumstances, people in that situation are called "enemies". And most people aren't particuarly nice to their enemies.

Jon

I appreciate you explaining it to me. I feel good knowing that I am right when I say that it is stupid to 'fucking hate each other' about something as trivial as this.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:07 PM   #39
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

Jon

I certainly agree. What some here do not realize because they are too young or only have short-term memories is that it was exactly like this 8 years ago, 20 years ago, 32 years ago, and the farther you go back, it gets much, much worse.

History repeats itself because not many even know their history or how to put perspective on things.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:07 PM   #40
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
So, does that mean it was acceptable for this guy to be arrested or not?

Depending on the local laws.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:09 PM   #41
sjshaw
lolzcat

Quote:
Depending on the local laws.

So, are you saying that local laws violative of the 1st amendment are acceptable? Or are you saying that he engaged in speech falling outside of the protections of the 1st amendment?
Old 05-15-2004, 10:10 PM   #42
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
I certainly agree. What some here do not realize because they are too young or only have short-term memories is that it was exactly like this 8 years ago, 20 years ago, 32 years ago, and the farther you go back, it gets much, much worse.

History repeats itself because not many even know their history or how to put perspective on things.

I don't get how that pertains to me. I have a pretty good grasp of political history, and a damn good memory. I just don't know what this has to do with guys taking cheap shots in a thread about something that could be pretty interesting to read, if all the 'fuck's' and 'kill you's were taken out of the mix. I know it can be done, even with the barbarians here.

Last edited by Hurst2112 : 05-15-2004 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:12 PM   #43
sjshaw
lolzcat

Dola:

Amazingly, being called ignorant by samifan24 and cuckoo doesn't bother me.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:13 PM   #44
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Dola:

Amazingly, being called ignorant by samifan24 and cuckoo doesn't bother me.

I wonder why.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:13 PM   #45
sjshaw
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24
I wonder why.

I think you know why.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:14 PM   #46
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Things like this has been going on for decades/centuries. It gets more attention now because 1) media wants to create perception and 2) we have a public eager for "news" like this.

How can you blame "them" for the culture when the public demands security. Go look at all of those polls the clearly shows that the public favors security over privacy. Go look at all of those Congressional representatives (including yours) that gleefully passed the Patriot Act (which the DoJ is doing job that is mandated by Congress, including laws that has been on the books for many years).

You know I am a vocal libertarian so I am not making excuses. I am just pointing out the double standard: everyone wants nothing to happen but when measures are taken to ensure that nothing happens, the same people become critical.

The problem with this is that people have been brainwashed into thinking that you can't have one without sacrificing the other. Both main idealogies are so hell-bent on proving one way is better than the other that they don't step back and realize security and privacy can coexist rather nicely.

But since these idealogies use this as a foundation of opposition for the sake of opposition, it will continue.

(good post btw)
Old 05-15-2004, 10:14 PM   #47
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
So, are you saying that local laws violative of the 1st amendment are acceptable? Or are you saying that he engaged in speech falling outside of the protections of the 1st amendment?

Read the First Amendment again, esp. how it begins.

One can engage in "free speech" while violating numerous local laws. Such was a common tactic by the KKK in exercising their right to free speech in burning crosses and vocally hating blacks. So should their should be no sense of Hate Speech laws on the books?
Old 05-15-2004, 10:15 PM   #48
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
While I appreciate the bit of defense, I guess some combination of fairness or masochism compels me to make a comment:

Speaking as one of the targets of that comment, I really wasn't bothered by it. Not one iota.

He was being honest. Blunt, but honest. And I got no problem with that. Hell, I prefer it to somebody who wiggles & waffles & suffers constant chafing from their efforts to always straddle the fence.

Now, it ain't real likely that he & I are going to exchange Christmas cards. Nor do I think it'd be a real good idea for us to have lunch together, or for anyone to invite us to a party with an open bar & then seat us together.

But I don't think it's a stretch to think that we knew that before this thread ever started.

Anyhoo, I'm not trying to step on your right to comment on his comment, that's your call not mine. I'm just saying that I wasn't really offended by his post in the least.

Jon

{edited to add} And FTR (not to Cuckoo, just in general), I'm about as quick-trigger, hard-ass, heavy-handed moderator style as you'll ever find. But I don't see anything that remotely warrants a banning or even a warning in this thread. (but hey, it's early yet )

I wasn't trying to defend you Jon. I know you can handle that.

I'm certainly no guy on the fence, and I've made my share of enemies around this place in all likelihood. And, to be completely honest, I don't really care one way or another about his comparison. I knew it wouldn't hurt anyone's feelings. I just wanted to point out, as a few others have, that it's an incredibly ignorant comment.

Now, as far as his wishing death upon another forum member... Joke or not, I think that's going too far.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:16 PM   #49
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrog Purple
But since these idealogies use this as a foundation of opposition for the sake of opposition, it will continue.

Very good insight.

What continues to get me is that many do not realize they are doing this. They think they have stumbled upon something new or revealing. It's not.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 05-15-2004 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:17 PM   #50
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Come on, Come on
You think you drive me crazy, well
Come on, Come on
You and whose army
You and your cronies
Come on, Come on
Holy Roman empire
Come on if you think