Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-14-2004, 08:28 AM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

OT - High Stakes Fantasy Football

Just trawling for interest ... I might be interested in setting up (or just playing in) a fantasy football league that goes beyond the matter of "bragging rights" and gets down to some serious bux.

I play in a couple leagues for $100 entry or so, which is fine. I'm looking for something on another level, even - perhaps five or tenfold?

Any interest in such a thing? I'm trying to imagine the logistics of managing funds across the internet with something like this -- which might be a challenge. I'm open to thoughts on the matter...

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 08:31 AM   #2
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

whew, geez. If i had the money to drop I would be in.

I guess my 100-150 league will have to satisfy me this year though.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 08:43 AM   #3
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I'd love to do something like this. I just wonder if there just comes a point when the stakes are too high for a game like fantasy football, especially over the internet. I'd have two main concerns:

- Keeping track of the funds. Not so much worried about the treasurer running off with them, so much as getting everyone to actually pay in advance of the first league activities

- Various dirty tricks and just downright dumb moves that people will try. I run a $500 (total) league and I'm always seeing dumb trades and suspicious moves. I can only imagine what people might think of trying if they were playing for a potential five-figure payout, especially when playing with strangers
Old 07-14-2004, 09:37 AM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I already play in a 250 dollar entry fee league with 12 teams with people that I know fairly well, and I see too many suspicious moves that upset me. Despite this, I came in second last year and won 750 dollars (well 500 net profit). However, I think that kind of money (500-1000 dollars per entry) will engender too much suspicion and hard feelings about any possible odd trades. I could even see a scenario where 2 or 3 people would team up to make one of their teams unstoppable and split the money.

If I was somehow convinced these sort of underhanded moves wouldn't happen, I'd be interested. However, I just don't see how I could be convinced of that.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 09:54 AM   #5
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Kickstand's always tryin' to rake in the big cash.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:30 PM   #6
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Kickstand's always tryin' to rake in the big cash.

Damn straight.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 12:33 PM   #7
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Wow, that would be a quite a leap. I can't part with the $500-$1000 right now, but my first born is due in October, would that work?

By the way, I can't believe the name Kickstand has stuck this long. If I disappear forever, at least I will have left that little something.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 12:41 PM   #8
rkmsuf
Head Coach

At those stakes I don't think I could take Rhodes coming in for James on the 1 or Favre passing from the 1 when I have Green.

Too much stress already in our 100 league. I felt like eradicating the whole Browns organization after they let J. Lewis demolish them late last season.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:27 PM   #9
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper
Wow, that would be a quite a leap. I can't part with the $500-$1000 right now, but my first born is due in October, would that work?

By the way, I can't believe the name Kickstand has stuck this long. If I disappear forever, at least I will have left that little something.

Are you selling your first born?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 02:19 PM   #10
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000

I really love fantasy football. Maybe I'll settle for naming rights. Whoever ponies up the cash for my entry would get the rights.

"Sorry honey, we're calling him Kickstand."

But then again, maybe that would go over well with the ladies one day.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 07:45 PM   #11
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

LOL
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 01:48 AM   #12
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

I always read posts that have anything about "high stakes" in them. But $500, holy hell, I dont think Ive ever even seen that much money.

Actually I posted not too long ago about a money league (auction) and we are doing $50 entry fee and we just ratified our constitution and set up our fanball site and we start our message board draft on the 26th, things are looking good.

Anyways, good luck.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:54 AM   #13
Danny
Head Coach

After being screwed out of my $1200 winnings by a runaway commish this past FF season I doubt I'll be looking for any highroller leagues for quite some time. This thief was someone I had known online for a while and ran the league for a few years before this past season, so it wasn't just some random fool.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 08:24 PM   #14
TLK
Pro Starter

Can anyone recommend a reputable online site that runs about $100 (a team) and has a decent payout? Sportsline has a $99.95 league, but the only prize is $600 to the winner....
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 09:32 PM   #15
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000

Only if it's a girl
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote