Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-15-2004, 06:35 PM   #1
chinaski
College Prospect

Unhappy John Olerud Waived

I have an unhealthy attachment to my Mariners, when i heard this - i got kinda choked up. excuse me im all verklempt!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 06:40 PM   #2
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

talk amongst yourselves
Old 07-15-2004, 07:07 PM   #3
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Perhaps he can go to the independent leagues and finally be introduced to Rickey Henderson.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:29 PM   #4
General Mike
Pro Starter

Rich Aurilia got released? where was I?
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 07:34 PM   #5
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

The Mariners could all jump into the Pacific Ocean and nobody except a few million Japanese would notice.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:54 PM   #6
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I guess I'll stop updating the MLB thread, since no one reads it...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 07:55 PM   #7
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski
I have an unhealthy attachment to my Mariners, when i heard this - i got kinda choked up. excuse me im all verklempt!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

It was a sad but necessary move. Johnny O isn't going to part of the future of the M's, and he was blocking the way of Bucky Jacobsen who's tearing up AAA pitching and deserves a shot at playing time to see if he's legit.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 07:57 PM   #8
Ksyrup

And Olerud can afford to buy the State of Washington Kleenex for the next year. I think he's still owed $7.7M.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-15-2004, 08:07 PM   #9
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Its a great day when the M's start to dismantle! GO A's!
Old 07-15-2004, 08:07 PM   #10
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Damn... Olerud and Pat Borders?

We'll always have 1992/93, boys.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:09 PM   #11
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
It was a sad but necessary move. Johnny O isn't going to part of the future of the M's, and he was blocking the way of Bucky Jacobsen who's tearing up AAA pitching and deserves a shot at playing time to see if he's legit.

You said it. I just hate seeing Johnny being waived. Even though its not, it seems too disrespectful for a guy of his character. Seriously one of the greatest guys you could ever want to meet.

Luckily our farm is good enough, that it takes away some of the sting. Its gonna be great seeing Bucky, Blackley, Nageotte, Sherrill, Dobbs, Jose Lopez, Strong and hopefully Snelling playing in the bigs.

Last edited by chinaski : 07-15-2004 at 10:30 PM. Reason: shouldnt post drunk...that often
Old 07-15-2004, 08:19 PM   #12
Philliesfan980
Banned

What really surprised me after reading that article is that he's only 35. It seems like he's been around forever. I know he was one of those guys to go straight to the Majors after leaving Washington State (1988? 1989?). Whats really sad is because of his salary, it pretty much makes it impossible for anyone to sign him as a nice left-handed bat off the bench.

Good guy, I still think he can help someone (at $1 million instead of $9 million). He'll be around a few more years.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 08:24 PM   #13
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980
What really surprised me after reading that article is that he's only 35. It seems like he's been around forever. I know he was one of those guys to go straight to the Majors after leaving Washington State (1988? 1989?). Whats really sad is because of his salary, it pretty much makes it impossible for anyone to sign him as a nice left-handed bat off the bench.

Good guy, I still think he can help someone (at $1 million instead of $9 million). He'll be around a few more years.

well the mariners are picking up what's left of his salary so any team could sign him for the league minimum
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 08:32 PM   #14
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
You said it. I just hate seeing Johnny being waived. Even though its not, it seems too disrespectful for a guy of his character. Seriously one of the greatest guys you could ever want to meet.

Luckily our farm is good enough that it takes away a some of the sting. Its gonna be great seeing Bucky, Blackley, Nageotte, Sherrill, Dobbs, Jose Lopez, Strong and hopefully Snelling playing in the bigs.
Chinaski, what is that prospect Strong's first name? There was a guy from my high school named Chad Strong that got a full ride to play for Miami and got drafted after his senior year by the Mariners like 4 to 5 years ago. Just wondering if it might be him or is just a coincidence.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:41 PM   #15
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywisesb
Chinaski, what is that prospect Strong's first name? There was a guy from my high school named Chad Strong that got a full ride to play for Miami and got drafted after his senior year by the Mariners like 4 to 5 years ago. Just wondering if it might be him or is just a coincidence.

His name is Jamal Strong.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:46 PM   #16
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24
His name is Jamal Strong.
Thanks, I figured it wasn't him, but I had to ask. Right now Robin Ventura is my high school's only claim to fame in the bigs and he's not gonna be around much longer.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:53 PM   #17
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Thanks, I figured it wasn't him, but I had to ask. Right now Robin Ventura is my high school's only claim to fame in the bigs and he's not gonna be around much longer.

And, to make matters worse, your high school had the ever living crap kicked out of it by a 40 year old Nolan Ryan.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:56 PM   #18
Zippo
High School JV

Zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:04 PM   #19
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
The Mariners could all jump into the Pacific Ocean and nobody except a few million Japanese would notice.
What a strange and misinformed thing to say.

I have a special attachment to Olerud, since he was a Coug. I've always considered him a classy professional ball player. I hope he lands on his feet somewhere.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:57 PM   #20
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Does Olerud still wear the helmet when he plays in the field? He should start pitching again.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 12:00 AM   #21
bhlloy
Coordinator

This sucks... Olerud was my favourite player in the majors between
98 and 02. Very classy guy and IMO the most underrated player in the league during that period.

He should catch on somewhere else unless his fielding ability has slipped. Haven't watched the Mariners this year, how much has he fallen off?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 12:51 AM   #22
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Perhaps he can go to the independent leagues and finally be introduced to Rickey Henderson.

LMAO!!!!!

Olerud was finished as soon as his speed deserted him.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 12:54 AM   #23
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24
And, to make matters worse, your high school had the ever living crap kicked out of it by a 40 year old Nolan Ryan.

LOL, not his greatest moment by any means.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:45 AM   #24
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy
98 and 02. Very classy guy and IMO the most underrated player in the league during that period.

He should catch on somewhere else unless his fielding ability has slipped. Haven't watched the Mariners this year, how much has he fallen off?

On the plus side his fielding is still very good and he still has outstanding plate discipline and will draw a lot of walks. On the down side, his bat has really slowed - his power, never a big strong suit, has really dropped off and his average has as well. Offensively he's just not a full-time player anymore, especially for a first baseman.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:47 AM   #25
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Luckily our farm is good enough, that it takes away some of the sting. Its gonna be great seeing Bucky, Blackley, Nageotte, Sherrill, Dobbs, Jose Lopez, Strong and hopefully Snelling playing in the bigs.

Don't forget Jeremy Reed - he looks like a good one.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:23 AM   #26
Dawgfan1980
H.S. Freshman Team

The Mariners are actually doing something smart for once, in letting Olerud and Aurilla go, and eating the contracts. Now, I know they have said no to trades of Moyer, Wilson, and Martinez, but if teams express interest, why say no? You gave up on Olerud to have Minor Leaguers come up. Okay, I can see Moyer mentoring the new pitchers, but Wilson? Miguel Oliveo (Spelling?) came over in the trade, and you still have Pat Borders there to mentor, and Edgar Martinez can barely make it to first on his legs.

Seattle has shown the want and ability to cut ties with "good guys" for the ability to move the team forward, they need to continue this pattern. Good guys are great, but I think diehard Seattle sports fans (yes, both of them) want to see guys who may be pricks, but want to win more than anything else (Think Paul O'neill).

Seattle sports fans (the real ones, not the ones who cheer louder for the hydro races on the jumbotron, and the the dancing grounds crew, not the ones who think the team came into existance in 1995) have it very difficult up here. Where as fans in other cities might have some knowledge of sports, Seattle sports fans are horrible. Bar none. I just have to point out the fans arriving at 1:00 P.M. for a Husky kick-off at 12:30, and fans leaving early from every sporting event. Seattle has, by far, the worst casual sports fans ever.

One other thing to point out real fast. The Mariners will have about 24 million free in their budget next year to sign a free agent. Anyone think that they can finally lure someone up here? It really is a nice town, honest.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:55 AM   #27
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Free Agents and the Mariners...if they're going to blow their top draft picks yet again on free agents, I hope at least this time that the free agents are worth it, especially given the M's first pick looks like it will be top-5 or better...
Old 07-16-2004, 11:02 AM   #28
clintl
College Starter

I saw this, and was thinking Olerud might be a good pickup for the Giants. Then I read the article, and saw that Giants had tried to trade for him, and Olerud had nixed the deal not long ago. Then I looked at Olerud's stats, and saw that he has basically turned into J. T. Snow over the last couple of years, so I don't know what the point of acquiring him would be, after all.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 11:07 AM   #29
Ksyrup

I was wondering why SF would want Olerud when they have Snow, as well.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:32 AM   #30
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy

Olerud was phenomenal when he was a Met in 98 and 99. I wouldn't mind the Mets bringing him back if they didn't have so many 1Bs already who do exactly the same thing as him.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
Old 07-16-2004, 11:34 AM   #31
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Re: Free Agents and the Mariners...if they're going to blow their top draft picks yet again on free agents, I hope at least this time that the free agents are worth it, especially given the M's first pick looks like it will be top-5 or better...

Dola - If their 1st round draft pick is in the top 15 (i think that is the point), it can't be lost as free agency compensation.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
Old 07-16-2004, 12:21 PM   #32
Dawgfan1980
H.S. Freshman Team

I think that if you are a Mariner, you go out for a free agent, so many draft picks don't pan out, that you want a proven commodity. The last thing that you want in Seattle is apathy toward the Mariners, again. Anyone remember the days of 7,000 in the Kingdome? Remember, Seattle sports fans are fickle, and have the attention spans of lemmings
Old 07-16-2004, 12:38 PM   #33
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Its a great day when the M's start to dismantle! GO A's!

You do realize that the M's havent been good this year period right?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 12:47 PM   #34
scooter
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgfan1980
The Mariners are actually doing something smart for once, in letting Olerud and Aurilla go, and eating the contracts. Now, I know they have said no to trades of Moyer, Wilson, and Martinez, but if teams express interest, why say no? You gave up on Olerud to have Minor Leaguers come up. Okay, I can see Moyer mentoring the new pitchers, but Wilson? Miguel Oliveo (Spelling?) came over in the trade, and you still have Pat Borders there to mentor, and Edgar Martinez can barely make it to first on his legs.

I think the reason the Mariners are keeping hold of Dan Wilson is because I think they see him as a long-term asset for the organization - not as a player, but as a coach or manager. Both Pinella and Melvin have talked about Wilson being like another coach (but in the game). I think they will do whatever they can to make sure he sees out the last year of his contract as a Mariner.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 01:47 PM   #35
Dawgfan1980
H.S. Freshman Team

I understand that, but why not let him go have a chance with a winning team. I don't know, carrying Oliveo and two older, wiser catchers seems to be a waste, but I see some of the theory behind it, but if you can get a prospect, even a AA or Rookie ball (Everett can always use another player), then you do it, on the off chance they bloom.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:27 PM   #36
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter
I think the reason the Mariners are keeping hold of Dan Wilson is because I think they see him as a long-term asset for the organization - not as a player, but as a coach or manager. Both Pinella and Melvin have talked about Wilson being like another coach (but in the game). I think they will do whatever they can to make sure he sees out the last year of his contract as a Mariner.

You got it right, and im thinking the same applies for for Jamie. Im not 100% sure on Jamies future with the club after retirement, but he is for sure not moving his family out of Seattle. My girlfriends mom runs the private school where some of the M's send their kids, and Moyer recently told her that he would never leave Seattle.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:12 PM   #37
chinaski
College Prospect

Watching Bucky Jacobsen play the last few games - im reaaaally impressed with how much hes improved this year.

Elarton just threw a fastball behind Buckys' head by a foot, he immediately jumps back in the box as cool and calm as can be, gets one more pitch up and in, and then takes the next pitch 430 feet over the center field wall for his 2nd homer in as many as days.

in his 3 games as a M: 5/8, 4R, 2HR, 5 RBI.

I love these Seattle Rainers/Tacoma Mariners!
Old 07-18-2004, 04:33 PM   #38
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgfan1980
I think that if you are a Mariner, you go out for a free agent, so many draft picks don't pan out, that you want a proven commodity. The last thing that you want in Seattle is apathy toward the Mariners, again. Anyone remember the days of 7,000 in the Kingdome? Remember, Seattle sports fans are fickle, and have the attention spans of lemmings

What was this thread about again? I'm going to get a latte.

As long as there's a beer garden in the outfield, people will show for the games.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 11:43 AM   #39
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980

He was college player of the year in '87 and '88, I saw him play against Fresno State a number of times back then. Eventhough I hated seeing him take the field against my team, I have always been a fan. I always thought under rated as a major leaguer. Sorry to see him go.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 10:00 AM   #40
Router Help

Looks like he might be back in action soon with the Yankees.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1851191
Router Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 12:35 PM   #41
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Don't forget Jeremy Reed - he looks like a good one.

dont bring that up says I the whitesox fan who cant believe we lost him...
Old 05-29-2005, 06:15 AM   #42
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

yeah - olerud's back and with a vengence against the team that declined to arbitrate.

go olerud - it's not too late to win the batting title!

(i think i love olerud becuase he reminds me of the typical 36 yr old weak power hitting 1B who could still conceivably hit .300 that is always on the FA market in OOTP, that I pick up on Apr 1 and he goes on to get 160 hits for me.)
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 02:35 PM   #43
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper
yeah - olerud's back and with a vengence against the team that declined to arbitrate.

go olerud - it's not too late to win the batting title!

(i think i love olerud becuase he reminds me of the typical 36 yr old weak power hitting 1B who could still conceivably hit .300 that is always on the FA market in OOTP, that I pick up on Apr 1 and he goes on to get 160 hits for me.)

hahah, perfect.

At least seeing J'ole in the Boston Red doesnt hurt as bad as seeing him in pinstripes.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:28 PM   #44
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

It hurts far more not seeing him in the Blue Jays colours

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-29-2005 at 03:28 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote