Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-31-2004, 11:07 AM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Why do the Phillies suck so bad

This season is getting annoying. We are now 1 game over .500, and on at least a 5 game skid. We just got swept by the Marlins for 4 games. At this point, I dont understand why Bowa isnt gone yet. His team has quit on him.

Wade goes out and gets us a couple relief arms, which is nice, but Im hoping this wont be another "Turk Wendell" type situation, where the guys that come in end up losing us the division. We have let the shitty Braves get up 4.5 games already.

Honestly, as long as Brian fucking Powell is in our rotation, we wont be going anywhere.

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 11:16 AM   #2
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Exclamation

They don't have good enough players.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 11:35 AM   #3
Easy Mac

Yes, a team is obviously shitty when they've won the past 12 division titles and have one of the best closers in baseball.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 11:41 AM   #4
bbor
Pro Starter

Replace Phillies...with Blue Jays

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 11:45 AM   #5
bbor
Pro Starter

Dola...oh wait....the Jays were mathematically eliminated in May

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 11:49 AM   #6
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor

The replace Blue Jays......with Astros.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:40 PM   #7
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
This season is getting annoying. We are now 1 game over .500, and on at least a 5 game skid. We just got swept by the Marlins for 4 games. At this point, I dont understand why Bowa isnt gone yet. His team has quit on him.

Wade goes out and gets us a couple relief arms, which is nice, but Im hoping this wont be another "Turk Wendell" type situation, where the guys that come in end up losing us the division. We have let the shitty Braves get up 4.5 games already.

Honestly, as long as Brian fucking Powell is in our rotation, we wont be going anywhere.

Well, first off, Brian Powell isn't in the rotation.

But the bottom line is the Phillies just aren't good enough. Their lineup is prone to streaks, and when they all get into a bad funk at the same time, look out, because its not going to be pretty. Way too many strikeouts in the lineup, and not enough contact guys. Watching the past 4 game series against the Marlins made me realize what a complete team the Marlins are (Against the Phillies atleast). They have guys at the top of the order who know how to get on base in Pierre and Castillo. Just watching Castillo hit was a pleasure. He was chopping down on the ball, beating it into the ground for singles. I wish Rollins would learn a thing or two from him.

As for the trades, I think this is going to end the season. Last year at the deadline, Wade added Mike Williams, who was a complete distaster for the Phillies. If you can't throw hard, you better throw strikes. I've never seen so many 83 mile an hour sliders in my life way out of the zone. I suspect the same thing will happen with Todd Jones, who's career has been terrible over the last few years, but is having an average year this year. Felix Rod. is nice, but Ledee's left handed bat off the bench and centerfielder play might be more valuable.

Now instead of getting a CF via trade, they bring up Marlin Byrd, who they demoted 2 months ago. He's currently hitting .240 in triple A. Now explain that one to me.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 01:02 PM   #8
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

BOWA MUST GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's a freaking cartoon character out there. His idiotic tantrums when getting thrown out of a game are pathetic to watch. He has lost the team, take him out of the equation.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 01:13 PM   #9
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Err, I mean Paul Abbott, not Brian Powell. Same difference. He sucks.
Remember when Myers was considered an ace in training? That seems like a long time ago.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:14 PM   #10
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

The Phillies need top notch pitching to counteract the slumps that the Phillies hitters are prone to.

Would a Steve Finley addition be viable?
Maybe the Phillies should go after some more decent prospects.
A catcher upgrade would be nice, 2b also. Players that can steal and play to Bowa's style might be needed.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 01:15 PM   #11
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Err, I mean Paul Abbott, not Brian Powell. Same difference. He sucks.
Remember when Myers was considered an ace in training? That seems like a long time ago.

Yes, Abbott has got to go!
Old 07-31-2004, 01:17 PM   #12
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Millwood also has his ups and downs.
More downs than ups.
Phils need to dump his ass after this season.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:17 PM   #13
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

any team that puts paul abbot in the rotation is not the kind that will end up winning many games
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 01:22 PM   #14
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

You would think with a line-up that has Thome, Abreu, Burrell, Bell, Liberthal, you would produce runs, and the pitching would do an adequate job.
Millwood, Padilla, Wolf, Myers, and Milton all looked like a decent to solid rotation at start of the season.
The injury bug has not been kind this season, Wagner, Thome, Bell, Padilla, Wolf, and maybe a few others.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:25 PM   #15
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMetTrentGreen
any team that puts paul abbot in the rotation is not the kind that will end up winning many games

Where did they find this chump of a pitcher? independent league?!?
Old 07-31-2004, 01:28 PM   #16
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan
BOWA MUST GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's a freaking cartoon character out there. His idiotic tantrums when getting thrown out of a game are pathetic to watch. He has lost the team, take him out of the equation.
Who would they get to replace Bowa? Not many quality managers left.
Oh wait, Bochy is available, yes bring him in and they will be a 1 or 2 season wonder, just like in Arizona.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:34 PM   #17
FBPro
College Starter

hehehe..........
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 01:39 PM   #18
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Watching the Phils and Cubs....Millwood!...you suck also!
Old 07-31-2004, 01:40 PM   #19
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky
Watching the Phils and Cubs....Millwood!...you suck also!

Go Estrada!!!!!!!!
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 01:41 PM   #20
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Who would they get to replace Bowa? Not many quality managers left.
Oh wait, Bochy is available, yes bring him in and they will be a 1 or 2 season wonder, just like in Arizona.

I don't care who they get, anyone could do better than that ass-clown Bowa.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 01:54 PM   #21
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan
I don't care who they get, anyone could do better than that ass-clown Bowa.
Gary Varsho...Milt Thompson....Greg Gross
3b coach Vukovich is probably way overdue to lead the team.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:55 PM   #22
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor

Replace Phillies...with Reds
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 02:04 PM   #23
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

I'm looking at the Phillies page, and IMHO the Phils would be dumb to give up LH/1b Ryan Howard, 6-4 240 .298 37HRs 102RBI in 100 games, albeit he is still in AA ball and the majors is totally different.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:10 PM   #24
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm looking at the Phillies page, and IMHO the Phils would be dumb to give up LH/1b Ryan Howard, 6-4 240 .298 37HRs 102RBI in 100 games, albeit he is still in AA ball and the majors is totally different.

Howard is a 1 position player, who is also 24 or 25 in AA ball. He will never play ahead of Thome. So Im not sure what we will do with him. Trading him right now when he is at the peak of his value as a prospect, could bring us a decent return.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:15 PM   #25
ageofquarrel
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

Why? They already have a 1st baseman in Thome. You could probably get a decent veteran out of Howard while he still has value, and howard cant play any other position. I dont think that it is the time for the phils to look for the future. If they could get a Number 1 starter and a decent contact hitter in CF. I think they would be good enough to get to the world series.
ageofquarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 02:15 PM   #26
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Millwood!...you big dummy!
Old 07-31-2004, 02:17 PM   #27
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

...a hard bunt into a DP.....Arrgh!
Old 07-31-2004, 02:19 PM   #28
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageofquarrel
Why? They already have a 1st baseman in Thome. You could probably get a decent veteran out of Howard while he still has value, and howard cant play any other position. I dont think that it is the time for the phils to look for the future. If they could get a Number 1 starter and a decent contact hitter in CF. I think they would be good enough to get to the world series.
Phils better hurry, Finley is the only decent CF out there.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:21 PM   #29
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Alright Bowa, lets not leave Millwood in there to much longer...
Old 07-31-2004, 02:24 PM   #30
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

gg so far
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 02:26 PM   #31
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Oh no, why is Rheal Crummier into the game....alright Rheal, lets really get a SO!
Old 07-31-2004, 02:27 PM   #32
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

good, good, out of that inning.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:09 PM   #33
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

1 out left..

and it lies in the hands of a phillie-killer(a new name for him)
Old 07-31-2004, 03:38 PM   #34
Vince
Pro Starter

I think you guys got a pretty good deal with Felix Rodriguez. I have no idea why the Giants are trading away one of their best bullpen arms when it looks from my standpoint that they need help in the bullpen even WITH Felix Rodruguez back there.

Ledee is going to be a nice left-handed bat to protect Bonds (Giants have sucked against RHP this season), but man has our outfield been one giant clusterfuck this year.

EDIT - Anyone know who the minor leaguer is that was reportedly sent to the Giants with Ledee?
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Last edited by Vince : 07-31-2004 at 03:39 PM.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 04:42 PM   #35
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
I think you guys got a pretty good deal with Felix Rodriguez. I have no idea why the Giants are trading away one of their best bullpen arms when it looks from my standpoint that they need help in the bullpen even WITH Felix Rodruguez back there.

Ledee is going to be a nice left-handed bat to protect Bonds (Giants have sucked against RHP this season), but man has our outfield been one giant clusterfuck this year.

EDIT - Anyone know who the minor leaguer is that was reportedly sent to the Giants with Ledee?

RHP Alfredo Simon
Old 07-31-2004, 05:07 PM   #36
Vince
Pro Starter

Any idea if he's any good? I'm going to go try to find some info on him.

Hm. He's apparently pretty good, but had some issues with having the wrong age on his Visa. He was 21 months older than the Phillies thought he was. Pretty strong numbers in A ball - Low 3 ERA, 107 Ks in 130 IP, 4 of 20 starts were complete games. I don't know much about pitching stats from lower leagues and how they translate to higher leagues (I know MUCH more about minor league hitting stats), but those are some promising numbers. Interestingly enough, I can't seem to find how old this kid is, even though I found a story saying that he was older than the Phillies thought.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Last edited by Vince : 07-31-2004 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-31-2004, 05:12 PM   #37
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Vince, I was just thinking this today. What were the Giants thinking in getting rid of Felix Rodriguez? He is one of your best setup guys and in return they get Ricky Ledee? Wow, I have no idea what Sabean was thinking. It just seems to me that they could have gotten someone better for Rodriguez.
Old 07-31-2004, 05:16 PM   #38
Vince
Pro Starter

More thoughts on Alfredo Simon - he's apparently 23 (ironically enough, born two months before me), and the visa problems weren't just with his age - he was apparently going by the name Carlos Cabrera. He pitched two consecutive complete game shutouts, and was considered to be one of the Phillies' top pitching prospects.

Josh - I have no idea. Like I said above, the Giants suck against right handed pitching, but I think Feel-Rod is a bit much to give up to fix this particular problem.
Old 07-31-2004, 05:17 PM   #39
Vince
Pro Starter

Dola - Heh, the fifth Google hit for his name is his player card from some OOTP league. That's kind of funny.

Last edited by Vince : 07-31-2004 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-31-2004, 05:37 PM   #40
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Dola - Heh, the fifth Google hit for his name is his player card from some OOTP league. That's kind of funny.
Stop it Vince, just stop it.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:33 PM   #41
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

the minor leaguer was the Phillies no 6 prospect, who just pitched 3 straight complete games- a damn nice arm. F-rod is not worth 3.15 million next year (his player option). in terms of pure talent, they won out IMO. but the fact is, their offense has been 3rd in the NL, while the "blowpen" had been well.... see the nomenclature.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 07:11 PM   #42
JimboJ
High School Varsity

It really doesn't matter whether Felix Rodroguez or Todd Jones are any good. They will end up on the DL within a few weeks anyway. I think its time for some kind of investigation as to why every single pitcher the Phillies bring in here ends up with arm trouble. And it's not this just year - it happens every season.

I don't think you can blame Bowa for this mess. Besides making out the lineups, and making substitutions during a game, a major league manager is pretty much irrelevent. If the players don't like his personality, who cares? Billy Wagner said it best, when he said they have too many players who are just too sensitive on that team.

And what they really lack more than anything is a vocal leader in the clubhouse. I was hoping it would be Thome, but apparently he doesn't have the personality for it.

And yes, Paul Abbot has to go. Figures he's the only one without some kind of arm trouble.
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 10:07 PM   #43
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Yes, a team is obviously shitty when they've won the past 12 division titles and have one of the best closers in baseball.

Hey, at least not all of those division titles were at the Phillies' expense.
Old 08-01-2004, 04:00 AM   #44
Vince
Pro Starter

The more I look at this trade, the more I am amazed by it. It seems like Sabean definitely got the best of Wade, but this move is completely the opposite of what the Giants need right now. The way the team is set up (read: Barry Bonds), our window of opportunity is really close to closing. We need ML-Ready players, not single-A studs who are going to be great.

The only thing I can think of was that this wasn't supposed to be the only move the Giants made, and that Simon was supposed to go somewhere else before the deadline.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:44 AM   #45
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
We have let the shitty Braves get up 4.5 games already.
Hey Easy, FBPro and the others...would this be the right time to tell them about Chipper learning the Jedi Mind Trick?
Old 08-01-2004, 05:47 AM   #46
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Hey Easy, FBPro and the others...would this be the right time to tell them about Chipper learning the Jedi Mind Trick?

Chipper to the Phillies "You WILL fall apart mid-season..."
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 06:14 PM   #47
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Make that 5.5 games.
Old 08-01-2004, 06:27 PM   #48
Philliesfan980
Banned

Today's game was yet another example of their incompetence. Bases loaded in the 8th inning, nobody out then..

Lieberthal strikes out
Utley strikes out
Michaels hits a weak popup to 2nd.

Pretty much sums up this team. No clutch performers whatsoever. Braves have a decent team, but won't get out of the first round. But hey, its better than what the Phillies can ever do.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 07:08 PM   #49
Easy Mac

The Braves have the best pitching in baseball. (not that I think Cox can manage his way out of an upside down paper bag)
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 07:30 PM   #50
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
The Braves have the best pitching in baseball.

HuH? I will be the first to say bull crap to that one.

Their ERA is 3.66 while the Cubs are right behind them with a 3.68.

Are you saying they have the best pitching because they're two points ahead of them, or because you're trying to be funny.

The Cubs easily have the best staff when healthy.

Plus, the Cubs have played better teams than the stinkin braves who play soc of crap teams.

Last edited by mauchow : 08-01-2004 at 07:38 PM.