Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-05-2004, 09:30 PM   #1
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Wow...Great Defensive Play In Angels-Indians Game

I am biased, of course, but given this is such a critical game, wow, what a play.

Angels are up 2-1 in the bottom of the eighth, with two outs to the Indians. Ron Belliard, representing the tying run, is on third, Travis Hafner at the plate, K-Rod on the mound. The A's lost earlier today, and we absolutely need to win this game.

K-Rod's slider is dropping like a rock, screwing with hitters' minds. He is going for a strikeout pitch on Hafner and unleashes another slider. It "slides" a little too much and bounces in front of Bengie Molina, then bounces about ten feet away from the plate, off to the third base side, a few feet into foul territory. Belliard had a great lead because Figgins wasn't holding him on, so he broke for the plate.

Molina leaped up after the ball. Without looking back at the plate (or maybe a very quick peek, unclear), Molina picks the ball up and flips it back to the plate, his back to the whole scene the entire time. As he figured, K-Rod has charged to the plate and is right on for the back toss. Belliard slides, but K-Rod came in with his forward leg sliding in between the plate and Belliard, even as he caught the toss in his glove. He completely blocked the plate from Belliard and tagged him out.

Wow. Harold Reynolds and Bob Miller are saying it's the best homeplate defensive play they have ever seen.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 09-05-2004 at 09:31 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 10:22 PM   #2
Joe
Pro Starter

neat
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 11:39 PM   #3
samifan24
Pro Starter

As an Indians fan and a TV-less college student, it was agony to know my Tribe were finally on national TV and I was missing them. Sounds like a great game though.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:39 PM   #4
rlfreeze
n00b

Would also like to add that K-Rod tagged Belliard by placing the tag under his own leg. Very nice play.
rlfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 01:53 PM   #5
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Nice play, don't know why Belliard slid head first though.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote