Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-09-2004, 10:51 AM   #1
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Clarett claims improper benefits from Ohio State

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1919059

By Tom Friend and Ryan Hockensmith
ESPN The Magazine

Ending six months of silence, former Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett has told ESPN The Magazine in this week's edition that he "took the fall" for the school during a 2003 NCAA investigation and that he's talking now because he wants to "clear his name" with National Football League owners and general managers.

Clarett says that while he was at Ohio State in 2002 and 2003 head coach Jim Tressel, as well as certain members of his staff and boosters, provided him with improper benefits. He says he covered up Tressel's improprieties during the NCAA investigation and afterward, Ohio State "blackballed'' him from the football program.

According to Clarett, Tressel arranged loaner cars for him and Tressel's brother, Dick, found him lucrative landscaping jobs that he did not even have to show up for. He says members of Tressel's staff also introduced him to boosters who'd slip him thousands of dollars, and the better he played, the more cash he'd receive. He says boosters eventually began inviting him into their homes or would meet him out in the community

"When you'd leave, [the booster] sets you straight," Clarett told The Magazine. "They say, 'You got any money in your pocket?' They make sure your money's straight."

Clarett also says he likely would have been ineligible for Ohio State's national title season of 2002 if the football staff had not "aligned'' him with an academic advisor whose goal was simply to keep him eligible. He says the academic advisor enrolled him in Independent Study courses and also put him with hand-picked teachers who would pass him whether he attended their classes or not. He says his advisor also introduced him to a tutor who prepared outlines and told him what to write for assignments.

Another former Ohio State player, linebacker Marco Cooper (2000-01; Spring 2002), corroborated many of Clarett's comments. Cooper, who was suspended from the team following two arrests for drug possession, says he also had bogus landscaping jobs, that a booster helped furnish his apartment, and that he was able to borrow cars from local Columbus dealerships in exchange for signed OSU memorabilia.

Another former Buckeyes player, current Maryland running back Sammy Maldonado, says he was placed in so many courses that did not put him on the road to graduation that only 17 of a possible 40 credits earned would transfer to his new school.

Ohio State officials have declined to comment on many of the allegations. School President Karen Holbrook, Jim Tressel and Dick Tressel refused to respond through spokespersons, while Athletic Director Andy Geiger said he would not answer questions until after the magazine story appeared, if then.

"We went through a yearlong investigation of our academic programs, everything that [Clarett] has to allege,'' Geiger said. "He vowed to me that he would do something to try to get us and this may be what he's trying to do. So he's on his own.

"We dealt with this guy [Clarett] for 18 months. I just hope you've checked into the background and history of who you're dealing with.''

Clarett's former academic advisor and tutor also declined comment. The NCAA, which investigated Clarett for potential academic and financial irregularities in the summer of 2003, said it is against its policy to discuss the Clarett case.

Clarett, 21, who gained 1,237 yards and scored 18 touchdowns in 2002, his only collegiate season, says he was asked during the 2003 NCAA investigation whether he received a loaner car from Tressel, and, to protect the coach, he says, he answered no. He says when he was asked about other indiscretions, he answered, "I don't know" or "I don't remember," which was a violation of NCAA Rule 10.1, requiring forthright answers.

"What would have become of Ohio State if I said everything?'' Clarett told The Magazine. "Half the team would have been suspended, and it would have been worse for everybody. I was like, 'Why don't I just take it?'"

The school suspended him for the entire 2003 season, and when Clarett asked to be reinstated for 2004, he says the athletic department systematically "blackballed him" by taking away the teachers and tutors.

Clarett then tried applying for the 2004 NFL Draft, and was first ruled eligible and then ineligible, because he wasn't the requisite three years removed from high school. He says he was "depressed" by the court's ultimate decision to ban him, but is now working out in anticipation of the 2005 draft in April. He says he is hoping this winter to play in this winter's East-West Shrine game and the Senior Bowl, all-star invitationals that would be his first football games in two years.

Several pro executives say, as of now, the running back could go as low as the fourth or fifth round. Clarett contends he will change any negative perceptions at the NFL combine in February.

"I'm thinking, 'NFL GMs know college players take money,' " Clarett says. "It was nothing like I stole something. Nothing like I'm running from the law or I'm dragging a girl down the stairs. No domestic violence. No nothing. [But] I got to clear myself up now, because it's affecting the minds of the GMs."

VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 10:56 AM   #2
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

is this story being pimped as a News story by ESPN? i thought everyone just assumed this was the case...
Old 11-09-2004, 10:57 AM   #3
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I was wondering when Clarett would start talking about this. I'm surprised it took him this long.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:01 AM   #4
rkmsuf
Head Coach

does anyone really care?
Old 11-09-2004, 11:03 AM   #5
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Judging by his past, and the fact that he believes OSU wronged him in so many ways I would be surprised if any this is 100% accurate, its amazing the only players who are coming out were more or less kicked off the team.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:10 AM   #6
Radii
Head Coach

A major division 1 football program finding ways to pay its best players under the table??? Nooooooo, I never thought this could happen, D1 football was so innocent until now.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:20 AM   #7
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97

"What would have become of Ohio State if I said everything?'' Clarett told The Magazine. "Half the team would have been suspended, and it would have been worse for everybody. I was like, 'Why don't I just take it?'"

Quick, somebody put up a statue in the man's honor

Quote:
The school suspended him for the entire 2003 season, and when Clarett asked to be reinstated for 2004, he says the athletic department systematically "blackballed him" by taking away the teachers and tutors.

Shame on them - what kind of school would give a kid a free pass on all his classes and have teachers and tutors hand him the answers or do the work for him and then rip it away from him when he's no longer of use to the football program? The horror! The outrage! Damn you OSU - how dare you make this kid try to earn his education like any other non-athelete at the school?

Quote:
"I'm thinking, 'NFL GMs know college players take money,' " Clarett says. "It was nothing like I stole something. Nothing like I'm running from the law or I'm dragging a girl down the stairs. No domestic violence. No nothing. [But] I got to clear myself up now, because it's affecting the minds of the GMs."

Glad that he's proving to the NFL teams that he's not the kind of guy who would try to implicate everyone and his brother in a scandal from the organization he left or was forced out of - Im sure they'll line up to get a quality team player like Mo - I mean its not like any NFL players do things behind the scenes that aren't exactly on the up and up right? That show Playmakers was a complete fabrication.

Then again I don't suppose Mo could have told the school to stop giving him answers and not to let him slide on missing classes and he could have told the boosters not to hand him the money and I suppose he could have actually shown up for work on those landscaping jobs...nah, why do it the right way when you can get away with all that stuff. Unless you get caught - then you blame everyone and the system and don the victim's cape. What a heartwarming story.

Last edited by Gary Gorski : 11-09-2004 at 11:21 AM.
Gary Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:23 AM   #8
Suicane75
Coordinator

While I dont really feel sorry for him, I feel alot worse for him than I do the coaches, faculty members, presidents and a NCAA suits who take advantage of guys like him every year in the quest for the almighty dollar. Fuck Ohio State, Fuck the NCAA and Fuck the Tostitos Ford Craftomatic Orange Bowl BCS Direct TV National Championship Coca Cola Game.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:24 AM   #9
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Nobody likes a tattletale Maurice, except of course the NCAA.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:13 PM   #10
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
While I dont really feel sorry for him, I feel alot worse for him than I do the coaches, faculty members, presidents and a NCAA suits who take advantage of guys like him every year in the quest for the almighty dollar. Fuck Ohio State, Fuck the NCAA and Fuck the Tostitos Ford Craftomatic Orange Bowl BCS Direct TV National Championship Coca Cola Game.

I agree with you completely. I don't think that I could have said it any better.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 12:25 PM   #11
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

this post is completely spot on.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:32 PM   #12
MrBug708
Head Coach

I think the NFL is more worried about how many donuts and cokes he's downing then whether or not some OSU booster gave him some cash or passed him in a class he never attended.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 12:32 PM   #13
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:

Yup.

As an aside, could Clarett be any more stupid? If he'd have shut up, he could have gone to the combine, impressed the scouts, legitimately shown that he had kept his nose clean and probably been a decently high pick. Not a 1st round pick, but perhaps a 2nd or 3rd.

But yet again, he (and his agent) show themselves to be idiots - this certainly isn't going to help his draft position. I can't see most teams taking a gamble on this guy until the 5th round now.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 12:34 PM   #14
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar
Yup.

As an aside, could Clarett be any more stupid? If he'd have shut up, he could have gone to the combine, impressed the scouts, legitimately shown that he had kept his nose clean and probably been a decently high pick. Not a 1st round pick, but perhaps a 2nd or 3rd.

But yet again, he (and his agent) show themselves to be idiots - this certainly isn't going to help his draft position. I can't see most teams taking a gamble on this guy until the 5th round now.

Who can resist the hard hitting reporting of ESPN The Magazine.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:56 PM   #15
DeToxRox
Head Coach

As a Michigan fan I won't respond to this, as it would be slanted.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 02:17 PM   #16
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

"Clarett also says he likely would have been ineligible for Ohio State's national title season of 2002 if the football staff had not "aligned'' him with an academic advisor whose goal was simply to keep him eligible. He says the academic advisor enrolled him in Independent Study courses and also put him with hand-picked teachers who would pass him whether he attended their classes or not. He says his advisor also introduced him to a tutor who prepared outlines and told him what to write for assignments."

So Clarett is claiming that TCY's study blocks are illegal?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 03:12 PM   #17
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog
Judging by his past, and the fact that he believes OSU wronged him in so many ways I would be surprised if any this is 100% accurate, its amazing the only players who are coming out were more or less kicked off the team.

Why would players that didn't get kicked off the team say anything? It's rare for a player that stayed out of trouble to come forward with allegations like this. Those that do usually feel 'wronged' by the school in some way and, like it or not, allegations similar to these are usually found to be true. The timing may not be right, but you can't ignore what most everyone assumed already. Especially when there are several players backing the story and players that claim they didn't receive benefits are saying that they believe the allegations.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:26 PM   #18
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

damn straight. but wait- what about the purity of college sports ? its pure I tell youi!!!
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:46 PM   #19
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Someone tell me again why college sports is good...
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 01:51 AM   #20
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Fuck Ohio State.

Agreed. You will get no argument from me on this point.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 01:55 AM   #21
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
As a Michigan fan I won't respond to this, as it would be slanted.

Come now. You should respond. It's your duty! I am envisaging something ala Samuel L. Jackson in "A Time To Kill." And it would go something like...

"Yes they deserve the NCAA death penalty and I hope they burn in hell!"
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 06:19 AM   #22
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
"Clarett also says he likely would have been ineligible for Ohio State's national title season of 2002 if the football staff had not "aligned'' him with an academic advisor whose goal was simply to keep him eligible. He says the academic advisor enrolled him in Independent Study courses and also put him with hand-picked teachers who would pass him whether he attended their classes or not. He says his advisor also introduced him to a tutor who prepared outlines and told him what to write for assignments."

So he pretty much admits to be a stupid, lazy fucking idiot?
Old 11-10-2004, 07:27 AM   #23
Ragone
Pro Rookie

We've secretly replaced maurice clarett with Ricky Clemons.. lets see what happens next
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 07:39 AM   #24
Easy Mac

Am I the only one disturbed by the reaction of Ohio State and specifically that of Andy Geiger? he has yet to say anythin about the allegations, but is instead attacking Clarett's character. While I agree Clarett isn't an upstanding citizen, attacking a person's character shows a complete lack of class, especially from a person in a position of power in a university.

While I didn't mind Clarett having the book thrown at him, I think there is a level of tact that Geiger should display.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 07:42 AM   #25
Balldog
Pro Rookie

They denied the allegations then said consider the source.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:53 AM   #26
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Am I the only one disturbed by the reaction of Ohio State and specifically that of Andy Geiger? he has yet to say anythin about the allegations, but is instead attacking Clarett's character. While I agree Clarett isn't an upstanding citizen, attacking a person's character shows a complete lack of class, especially from a person in a position of power in a university.

While I didn't mind Clarett having the book thrown at him, I think there is a level of tact that Geiger should display.

Actually, he very specifically addressed the allegations. He said that these are not new allegations, but ones that have already been investigated and dismissed. You must have heard a sound bite from later in his comments, during which he does point to the already sullied reputation of Clarett.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:03 AM   #27
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:

Actually, I believe Clarett. I think that sort of thing goes on at most major College Football programs. I just think he's a fucking idiot.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 08:34 AM   #28
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
attacking a person's character shows a complete lack of class, especially from a person in a position of power in a university.

Welcome to THE Ohio State University. That program lacks class, and I'm not only talking about the classroom attendence of its athletes. This is a university and fan base that worships a man who assaulted an opposing player. "But hey! He won!" When Clarrett was carrying that team to a national championship, he was a god in Cow-town, even with the off field issues. Once he couldn't play anymore, he became vilified. I thought the criminal rap sheet would shrink after Tressell arrived. It has grown. Not to mention such academic all americans such as Katzenmoyer and the WR (was it Rambo?) who once achieved a 0.0 GPA. Not to mention that on game day, Ohio St. fans are some of the rudest (spit, urine, insults etc.) in college football.

I realize all programs have their share of thuggish fans, but I think the idiot factor at Ohio St. is higher than most. And I have experienced it myself on a couple of occassions. That said, I have a couple friends who are Ohio St. fans who have class and deserve honorable mention.

And don't tell me fans of all big programs are like that. I'll point out fans of Tennessee, Nebraska and Florida St. who have great reputations among ND fans that I've talked to as being gracious hosts, yet rabid supporters of their own teams.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 08:44 AM   #29
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_herd
Why would players that didn't get kicked off the team say anything? It's rare for a player that stayed out of trouble to come forward with allegations like this. Those that do usually feel 'wronged' by the school in some way and, like it or not, allegations similar to these are usually found to be true. The timing may not be right, but you can't ignore what most everyone assumed already. Especially when there are several players backing the story and players that claim they didn't receive benefits are saying that they believe the allegations.

Exactly.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 08:51 AM   #30
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Scooper,

When did we worship Robert Reynolds for his actions last year? Almost everyone criticized Tressell for only suspending him for one game. Clarrett was "vilified" once he made the statement about going pro after his freshman season, long before all this other bullshit.

I've said this in before, this year for example I was in Columbus for the Wisconsin game in which Wisconsin won. There were several people wearing Wisconsin clothing that got treated very well by Ohio State fans, you are basing your opinion of a few million fans on just 1 percent or even less of the fan base. You have to remember Ohio State has probably the largest fan base among college sports teams, mostly because of the very large alumni population. I agree there are a few thuggish fans out there, probably more than others but its a very low percentage.

You also fail to mention that Tressell has been very quick to pull the trigger on trouble makers, though I wish he would kick Lydell Ross off the team. I know there are several players that he recruited and promptly kicked them off the team once they showed poor judgement.

Also Rambo and Katzenmoyer have been gone from the program for what 4 or 5 years now, they were Cooper's players by the way.

Last edited by Balldog : 11-10-2004 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:10 AM   #31
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Dog, I'm not talking about Reynolds. I'm talking about Woody. He blatantly assaulted an opposing player and he is worshiped. When I attended the ND game in 94, I was spit on twice, cursed at at least 10 times, my GF, now wife was verbally abused a couple times as well in a not so nice sexual manner. A friend's car with an ND sticker was urinated all over when he returned to it. I've heard of similar incidents from other ND fans from that year. Another friend was spit on and harrassed all day as a Cincinnati fan a few years back. I was at a PSU game a couple years ago and witnessed a group of OSU fans walk up to PSU taligate and kick over a cooler while verbally accosting the fans.

I realize Katzenmoyer and Rambo are gone and were Cooper's players, but the academic programs haven't changed. The professors are still the same and some of the new allegations sound awfully familiar.

I realize not all fans are as bad as those mentioned above. And I realize the majority are classy, but I feel that ugly minority at OSU tends to be larger than most (but not all) comparable programs and like it or not, these are are the fans that other fans base their image of OSU on. They are probably also the same fans who overturn cars and burn Columbus anytime they win a big game.

I enjoy game day in Columbus because there are some good fans, the football is quality and the party is always huge, but I've learned to never sport the colors of any other program.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote