Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-01-2004, 02:01 PM   #1
Desnudo
Coordinator

So, how was everyone's Thanksgiving?

Slow board day, so I'll start. I made it back to Boston for the first time in two years. I was able to see my father and step-mother as well as one of my step-sisters whom I hadn't seen in a little over a four years. No pic requests pls thx. Unfortunately I scheduled dinner with them during the Patriots game since I forgot it was a 4:15 start. Fortunately the game was a yawner anyway.

Walking around Cambridge I noticed people occasionally making eye contact and actually smiling at me. A car also fully stopped at a stop sign and let me cross in the cross walk! The Red Sox are magic I tell you! Of course three meat heads in a diner wanted to beat me up, but you can't change the world in a day.

Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 02:26 PM   #2
JeeberD
General Manager

I had a great Thanksgiving break. I spent T-Day in Abilene with my girlfriend in Abilene, and I was really nervous because they've hated me ever since they found out four years ago that I had deflowered their baby girl. However, the time I spend with her parents went really well, until I spilled some coke in the Mrs new car. It cleaned up nicely, but I offered to pay for any cleaning that she needed to get done. However, she said it wasn't a problem and didn't seem upset.

I also remembered an old passion for Rummikub when my girlfriend broke that game out, and I wound up whipping her entire family in the game. That made up for her little bro beating me in Monopoly...

I didn't get to see much of the Cowboys game because her family has a tradition of going to the movies after eating. While I found it very weird (my family has snacks during the game and then eats once the Cowboys are done playing) I went along with it to keep the good will going. My girlfriend and her father wanted to see Christmas with the Kranks, but her mother, her brother, and I outvoted them and we went to go see The Polar Express instead. Not a bad flick...

The day ofter T-Day I went to the U-Haul place, got a truck, and then my girlfriend and I got to take her parents living room furniture. We've been living without a coach for four months, and it's really nice to have one, as well as a recliner and a nice bookcase...

So overall, it was a very, very nice Turkey Day...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 02:30 PM   #3
Desnudo
Coordinator

Did they put you in seperate bedrooms? I saw a funny Tom Wolfe interview on The Daily Show where he talked about the quandries of parents when "college married" (his term) couples go home for the holidays.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:34 PM   #4
JeeberD
General Manager

Yeah, the first night she got the "guest bedroom" (her old room, remodeled) and I got the couch. The second and third night she took the couch since she and her mom were going to be up early to cook and shop and I got the guest room.

I'm sure my parents would have done the same thing. I don't think either set of parents are really happy that we moved in together before we're married, but they realize that we're adults now and get to make our own choices...

Last edited by JeeberD : 12-01-2004 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:37 PM   #5
rkmsuf
Head Coach

did you pork her?
Old 12-01-2004, 02:40 PM   #6
JeeberD
General Manager

Not until we got home.

Old 12-01-2004, 02:40 PM   #7
digamma
Torchbearer

Dad, I think he's going to pork her.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 02:45 PM   #8
rkmsuf
Head Coach

"Well is was great seein y'all. We've got to get going home so I can pork your daughter. Thanks for the turkey."
Old 12-01-2004, 05:55 PM   #9
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Not to be a downer here, but, well, I'm going to be a downer here.

Let's see...
My holiday started with a lovely drive from South Bend to Chicago O'Hare in a rainstorm that turned into a snowstorm. I got started 30 minutes late and arrived at the counter 15 minutes after the plane was scheduled to push back. I was saved by weather delays at the airport, my seat had not been given away and the plane hadn't even started boarding when I arrived at the gate. My flight in Newark was also delayed, so I didn't have a problem with a missed connection.

Next up, my suitcase didn't make it to Boston with me. My best guess is that it never made it on my flight from O'Hare to Newark and went on the next plane instead. It was delivered to the house at noon the next day, and I had all the articles I needed in the interim, so that worked out all right.

My mom was already in the hospital with a serious abdominal infection (her immune system is compromised right now due to chemo for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma). At 4 am the night I got in, she was put on a ventilator in the ICU with severe sepsis (I was blissfully sleeping and unaware). As a result, I spent a lot of time at the hospital. Fortunately, her condition has stabilized (although she remains under heavy sedation), we're all crossing our fingers that she'll pull through this.

I was scheduled to return Sunday evening. Sunday afternoon there was rainy weather with strong winds at Logan and all Continental flights were delayed two hours, meaning I would miss my connection in Cleveland. The result of that was that I wound up rebooked the next day, so I spent another night there. I don't mind spending time with my dad, but the delay in combination with the time I spent at the hospital resulted in a serious crunch in the amount of schoolwork I have to get done (with some homework falling by the wayside). I could have put more time toward it while I was home and even before that, so I'm not making excuses... the problem is partly one of my own making.

My flight made it out of Boston to Newark successfully, but then we were delayed an hour in Newark due to weather conditions in Chicago. We were a half hour late getting into O'Hare, then my bag was one of the last off the plane, with the result that I had to go through the city in the middle of rush hour (I'd hoped that traffic would not have fully developed when I headed out). I wound up back in South Bend at 8:30 pm, having missed a class in the morning as well as eight hours that I could have spent getting work done. (If you're keeping score, there was one flight out of four that left on time.)

For all of that, I'm thankful for:
The opportunity to see my family again, with most of them in good health
My mom is still hanging on (or was last night), we're cautiously optimistic that she will pull through -- as trying as the experience was for me, I can't imagine how it would have been if she hadn't made it. I'm praying that I won't have to make any unscheduled trips back home before Christmas break.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)

Last edited by Mr. Wednesday : 12-01-2004 at 05:56 PM.
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 06:10 PM   #10
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
"Well is was great seein y'all. We've got to get going home so I can pork your daughter. Thanks for the turkey."

Funny stuff. Nothing quite like the "Just spent a few days at the parents' house in separate bedrooms" sex.

My Thanksgiving was lonely, but that builds character.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:31 PM   #11
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My day was awesome. First place and $1122 at pokerstars.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 07:07 PM   #12
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I ate enough turkey for three PETA members.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 07:31 PM   #13
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
I ate enough turkey for three PETA members.

So nothing?
Old 12-01-2004, 07:36 PM   #14
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
So nothing?

Implying that if they weren't vegan the amount I ate would've filled them up.

.. had sinbad said it you would've chuckled
Old 12-01-2004, 07:36 PM   #15
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Oh and F PETA