Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-05-2004, 04:38 AM   #1
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

I'm sure on FOFC, this is going to get maybe 2 or 3 looks at most, but I was just wondering if anyone out there has been watching this on Cartoon Network? Actually, what I'm really wondering is if someone's seen these on original DVDs or something and can tell me if the show keeps up its very good pace through at least the entire first season.

I really like the overall feel of the show. Futuristic but not too futuristic, serious but with some levity, and high minded to the point that stuff that would bother me about other shows (ie i didn't bat an eye at Kusanagi wearing next to nothing with the other couple of girls she lives with and the fairly heavy lesbian overtones, thinking "hm.. i guess that's how it is 30 years from now" rather than "gee... shameless fanservice") just doesn't have any effect on me. Also, I love the format with the Complex episodes couched by the Stand Alone episodes. It reminds me of the X-Files and their giant alien arc about half the time but the monster of the week the other half.

But, basically, I'm just really happy with what I've seen in the first few episodes. They jumped straight into the big "Laughing Man" plot, with the current 3-parter doing for it what "Ballad of Fallen Angels" did for Bebop with the Vicious/Julia story line. That way they didn't have some of the real awkwardness of Trigun's really, really, really slow first few episodes or Big O's half of the first season that was pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of the show.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 10:16 AM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Haven't seen it, can't help you much I'm afraid. But it ain't for lack of interest, just lack of time to watch all the stuff I'd really really like to watch.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:41 AM   #3
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I didn't realize they were showing this, but knowing is half the battle.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 11:45 AM   #4
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I too have started watching it on Saturday (and sometimes Thursday?!) adult swim.
Really good stuff. Don't know of any of the DVD info tho..

~tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 01:40 PM   #5
MikeVic
Head Coach

If it was being shown on Canadian TV... I'd watch it.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 03:58 PM   #6
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
If it was being shown on Canadian TV... I'd watch it.
YTV is really good about getting good cartoons to you guys up there. I wouldn't be surprised if they had it before too long.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-05-2004 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:23 PM   #7
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
...cartoons...

SI

Old 12-05-2004, 10:29 PM   #8
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71

Did I offend some otaku sensibilities or something?

SI

Old 12-05-2004, 10:33 PM   #9
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Did I offend some otaku sensibilities or something?

SI

Yes. Fans of anime tend to become rabid when they hear their passion described as, and I quote, a "cartoon".

Just you thank your lucky stars that geekdom does not run on the demerit system, mister!
Old 12-05-2004, 10:52 PM   #10
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Yes. Fans of anime tend to become rabid when they hear their passion described as, and I quote, a "cartoon".

Just you thank your lucky stars that geekdom does not run on the demerit system, mister!
I know your post wasn't intended this way but it hit a sore spot I always have with otaku.

If proudly proclaiming at the top of your lungs that "dubs are evil" (even if it's a good one) and being offended everytime anime is referred to as cartoons helps you sleep better at night, then so be it. Frankly, I think it's a waste to get caught up on things like that and is typically used by otaku to look down their nose at other nerds when it's really just like the Dolphins saying to the 49ers that they suck.

I suppose we could get into blurred lines and everything else, too, which makes the classification of anime vs cartoon a moot point. Is DBZ an anime? Pokemon? Both of those were clearly aimed for kids, not adults and isn't the otaku distinction aimed at trying to distance one's self from "kiddie" shows? How about American cartoons? Is Batman not a cartoon because it's clearly not aimed for kids? Do we call it something else? I'm pretty sure cartoon works for all since it just implies an animated show.

For technicality's sake, I was referring to YTV and they don't show a lot of anime. They do tend to get any halfway decent cartoon regardless of network, however. Plus, they always get massive brownie points in my book for partially funding seasons 3 and 4 of Reboot.

Anyways, the point is, anime fans need to stop trying to make their fandom proprietary because all it results in is greater dislike of the community as a whole, really expensive cd's/dvd's because there's no mass market, and, frankly, all just come off as elitist assholes. I'll take the term "cartoon" and its kiddie connotation over elitism any day.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-05-2004 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:36 AM   #11
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
I know your post wasn't intended this way but it hit a sore spot I always have with otaku.

If proudly proclaiming at the top of your lungs that "dubs are evil" (even if it's a good one) and being offended everytime anime is referred to as cartoons helps you sleep better at night, then so be it. Frankly, I think it's a waste to get caught up on things like that and is typically used by otaku to look down their nose at other nerds when it's really just like the Dolphins saying to the 49ers that they suck.

I suppose we could get into blurred lines and everything else, too, which makes the classification of anime vs cartoon a moot point. Is DBZ an anime? Pokemon? Both of those were clearly aimed for kids, not adults and isn't the otaku distinction aimed at trying to distance one's self from "kiddie" shows? How about American cartoons? Is Batman not a cartoon because it's clearly not aimed for kids? Do we call it something else? I'm pretty sure cartoon works for all since it just implies an animated show.

For technicality's sake, I was referring to YTV and they don't show a lot of anime. They do tend to get any halfway decent cartoon regardless of network, however. Plus, they always get massive brownie points in my book for partially funding seasons 3 and 4 of Reboot.

Anyways, the point is, anime fans need to stop trying to make their fandom proprietary because all it results in is greater dislike of the community as a whole, really expensive cd's/dvd's because there's no mass market, and, frankly, all just come off as elitist assholes. I'll take the term "cartoon" and its kiddie connotation over elitism any day.

SI

I know anime when I see it. To me, Pokemon is anime, and is DBZ. For me it's not about looking down my nose at anything, since I enjoy cartoons, also. My post was intended to be a funny jab, not a snub.

I don't see the distinction as a waste of time, but your are entitled to your opinion. For me, the distinction allows me to decide ahead of time just what I will be getting before I've had a chance to see it, and whether I'll want to watch it with my kids in the room or not. Generally, with a "cartoon", I would probably take the chance to watch it the first time through with my kids in the room. I cannot say the same for "anime".

Last edited by sachmo71 : 12-06-2004 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:12 AM   #12
MikeVic
Head Coach

Reboot... Where have ye gone.

I always thought an anime was called that because of the style used. So, you could safely say something was an "anime cartoon," because it was drawn in an anime style.

And I know people that get angry when you call it a cartoon, or even an anime cartoon... so I've just gotten used to calling them animes.

I hope YTV or Teletoon show this Ghost in the Shell series soon. I've found YTV to be showing more anime in the past few years.... seems like evenings are filled with them.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 05:12 PM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
Reboot... Where have ye gone.

The show has been dead before and revived again (name another show that died and was revived 3 years later only to die again and be remade 2 years after that). However, I don't think they'll ever resolve the really good season 4 cliffhanger.

Some of the primary people in charge of Reboot (co-creators Ian Pearson, Gavin Blair) left Mainframe and formed their own company, The Shop. It sounds like the company has had some significant financial troubles as they've laid off some of the more visible people over the past couple of years, too (namely the two who would post to alt.tv.reboot and helped with creating a fanatical online base).

So, while it's never say to save "never" about Reboot coming back, the chances are very slim indeed that it could come back in its current incarnation as they just don't have the people there any more.

SI

Old 11-19-2005, 03:13 AM   #14
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Bump- for anyone who watched all of season 1 or wanting to jump in at the start of season 2, it starts tonight. Locally, it's at 11:30pm and again at 2:30pm CT but, of course, this varies by time zone. It starts now and runs through May, theoretically.

For those following the first season, you'll remember that there were "Stand Alone" (episodic) and "Complex" (Laughing Man case) episodes. This time out, there are 3 different variants:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv.com
For Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - 2nd GIG the IN/DI/DU nomenclature denotes IN as 'INdividual' episodes, DI as 'DIvidual' episodes, and DU as 'DUal' episodes. While one may think that IN refer to the Stand Alone episodes of the second season, they actually are the Complex episodes of 2nd Gig. DI episodes are the Stand Alone episodes. Finally, DU episodes cover cases pertaining to the Japanese Government.

SI

Old 11-19-2005, 05:33 AM   #15
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Bump. Un-archived, per request. (Remember, if you want something unarchived, send me a PM with a link to the thread.)
Old 11-19-2005, 08:45 AM   #16
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I haven't really watched this anime, only because it comes on so late. Right now my favorite anime series has to be Hellsing. It is very dark, but well written. The only downside is it was only a 12 episode series.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote