Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-05-2004, 03:49 PM   #1
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

FOF, the NFL, playing players out of position

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=1937892

"One more observation on pass rushers: Not since 1996, when Kevin Greene posted 14½ sacks, has a player principally listed as a linebacker led the league. And that drought is likely to continue. Now before a bunch of personnel guys reach for the phone or send e-mails, this disclaimer: Yeah, we know Greene played defensive end on third down and got a ton of sack opportunities that way. But, with the exception of those teams using a 3-4 front, teams aren't using linebackers that way anymore. Instead, they are taking players who might have projected as linebackers at one point, and just playing them as defensive ends, even if they are undersized. Arizona's Bert Berry is a onetime linebacker who lines up exclusively at end now. A lot of teams projected Robert Mathis of the Colts, at 235 pounds, as a linebacker coming out of college. He plays strictly at end in the Indianapolis "nickel" front. Early in John Abraham's career with the Jets, there was a question of whether he would play end or linebacker. Even this season, new coordinator Donnie Henderson wanted to experiment with Abraham playing linebacker in some 3-4 fronts, but quickly moved away from that. Teams seem to have just decided to take defenders who once played out of a two-point stance, move them to end and put their hands on the ground, and have them rush from there."

Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 09:09 PM   #2
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Don't go postin' stuff like this. I want to complain about something, and it gives me less to complain about. Bad Chubby. Bad.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:13 PM   #3
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Arizona's Bert Berry is a onetime linebacker who lines up exclusively at end now. A lot of teams projected Robert Mathis of the Colts, at 235 pounds, as a linebacker coming out of college. He plays strictly at end in the Indianapolis "nickel" front.

I guess now I'm confused. Why aren't Arizona and Indianapolis ranked #1 and #2 in total defense?
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 10:30 PM   #4
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

I took this as you just rubbing your butt in our faces with your Linebackers-are-cheap-and-don't-get-injured-as-much strategy. Was I wrong?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 10:59 PM   #5
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
I took this as you just rubbing your butt in our faces with your Linebackers-are-cheap-and-don't-get-injured-as-much strategy. Was I wrong?

Nah wasn't that, I was just browsing espn.com and came across this article which seemed interesting (def interesting to me) so thought I'd post it is all.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote