Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-13-2004, 11:35 AM   #1
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Question for those with iPods etc...

I was reading the iPod thread and I have to admit I am totally clueless about anything that has to do with digital music. I'm very old school - I buy a CD and stick it in my CD player

Anyhow, my wife loves music and this sounds like it would be a really cool gift for her for Christmas and I need Christmas gifts for her. There seem to be other "brands of ipods" out there - is there another digital music player that anyone would recommend or is the iPod the way to go? I also saw there was a smaller/lighter iPod - how does that stack up with the regular iPod? And is there some way that it can be used in the car audio system as well and if so do you have to buy something extra for that?

We're in the car a LOT so I want to make sure this would be something that she can use there without having to use the headphones and it does seem pricey so before I spend the $250-300 for it I want to make sure she will be able to get alot of use out of it. Thanks to anyone who can help me out here.

Gary Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 11:47 AM   #2
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Gary, the mini ipod is 4 GB, the regular ones go up to 40GB

you can get an FM broadcast add on for car use.

No clue about competing products
Old 12-13-2004, 11:58 AM   #3
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

The iPod Photo actually goes up to $60 GB.
Competition include the Nomad, the Zen (Creative and Rio, respectively??? not positive), and the iRiver products. I don't know a lot about any of those except that they're out there. I've a friend with an iRiver who likes it a lot but still has iPod envy.

For use in the car if you have a tape deck then you can plug it in from the headphone jack and use one of those old-style tape things. If you by some miracle have an auxillary in line then you can use that, and if all else fails you can use the FM gransmitter.

I have a 3rd generation 40 GB iPod and I love it. Granted, I'm a student so I'm always somewhere where I can listen to music even if only on headphones. Check out http://www.ipodlounge.com for information on FM transmitters and reviews of the iPods and accessories.

If you're going to buy any of these, I recommend using PriceGrabber to find you the best price. I got my Palm for about $150 less than I expected to and my iPod for about $75 less than I expected, by letting it find the best prices for me..

I of course think the iPod is wonderful but I'm probably biased.

~tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 12:51 PM   #4
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Hope to see you join the iPod family soon.

I've had my 20GB iPod for a full year, and it's still only half-filled.

There are plenty of after-market accessories out there, but I've seen that the leaders in FM transmitters are Belkin and Griffin. I've got Griffin's iTrip FM transmitter, and it works perfectly in my car. In fact, in a recent caravan from Los Angeles to Las Vegas, I was able to receive the transmission from my friend's iPod in the next car (to within 2-3 car lengths away).

I've played with an older version of Belkin's FM transmitter, and was disappointed with the lack of frequencies. However there are newer models out there which I haven't tried.

Enjoy!
ABC
Old 12-13-2004, 01:27 PM   #5
MikeVic
Head Coach

I have recently purchased a 20GB iPod.

Quote:
is there another digital music player that anyone would recommend or is the iPod the way to go?

I would still recommend the iPod, although (as tk said) there are things like the iRiver and Nomad.

Quote:
I also saw there was a smaller/lighter iPod - how does that stack up with the regular iPod?

It is smaller and lighter, but it only has 4GB, and the price being around what a regular 20GB iPod costs. I think for the storage/price, the iPod mini is too much money.

Quote:
And is there some way that it can be used in the car audio system as well and if so do you have to buy something extra for that?

As Fritz said, you can buy an FM transmitter. It allows you to tune into a certain range of FM, and hear what's played on your iPod. It does cost extra, but if you need something like it... I don't see another way. If I didn't have an MP3 player in my car, I'd buy one too.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 01:29 PM   #6
jbmagic
Pro Starter

i tought the battery life on ipods dont last long? and there expensive to replace?

is this still true?

thanks
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:08 PM   #7
SackAttack
Head Coach

Gary, with the non-iPod music players, they're essentially more expensive per capita, since you pay maybe $150-200 for them, and most of them haven't cracked the 1 GB barrier (so far as I've seen). That's the only real drawback.

I would suggest spending the extra $100 or so on a lower-end iPod if you're trying to save money - she'll get much more bang for your buck that way.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:12 PM   #8
lurker
High School JV

Passacaglia got an RCA Lyra 40 GB last year for around $250 and it's pretty awesome. I'm thinking of getting one too, but I have to look into the FM transmitter for that. But definitely don't limit your searches to iPods only.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:13 PM   #9
Danny
Head Coach

I had an original 5 GB Ipod that still works perfectly. My dad ordered an Ibook that gave him $200 off one of the new slim Ipods if he ordered that as well. So, he gave me his old 10 GB one and I gave my sister my original 5 GB one. All three ipods have worked flawlessly the entire time. Well, except for an issue caused by human error .

Last edited by Danny : 12-13-2004 at 02:14 PM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:31 PM   #10
Swaggs
Coordinator

Dell has a comprable MP3 player called the Jukebox. I believe they have come out with a Juekbox Jr., as well.

I have read that the battery life is a little better on the Dell and it is about $50 less, so that is what I will be going with, although I know the iPods are nice, too.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:31 PM   #11
Radii
Head Coach

As far as playing it in yoru car, Oliegirl and I would both swear by this:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itrip/
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 04:02 PM   #12
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Non-IPod MP3 players are actually cheaper, contrary to what some said below Gary. I got myself a Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen a few months back, 40gb (more than I could ever possibly use, I could throw my entire TPB2005 on it) for around 300 including the extended warranty and a new pair of headphones and a casette-adapter (the FM adapter's give me bad feedback with the Zen for some reason, so I deal with the tape). A comprable IPod STARTS at $400. Basically with an IPod you are paying more for the "Apple" brand name, and as well I hear that IPod's have problems playing .wma files and downloads from the ITunes store are in a proprietary format which is then difficult to transfer outside of ITunes on your computer (requires burning to a CD and then ripping back to .mp3). And oh...3 months or so into it, I am VERY happy with my Zen, and anytime someone points out I could have had an IPod I point out that I got double the storage for basically...66% of the price (or whatever the % actually is). And that's certainly worth putting up with the slightly heavier weight as well as the "scrollbar" on the side of the Zen.

Just my .02 on the decision.

How's the lil one?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote