Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-03-2005, 12:54 PM   #1
JimboJ
High School Varsity

Are football conferences really relevant?

With two NFC teams making the playoff with 8-8 records, and 9-7 teams from the AFC being eliminated, I've got to wonder why they just don't scrap the whole conference system as far as playoffs are concerned. You could still have the 8 division winners make the playoffs, and the remaining four wild card teams be the teams with the best records, regardless of conference. Then you just seed all the teams according to their records, and just play it as a tournament. Then the best two teams should end up in the super bowl, regardless of which conference they are from.

Would anyone object to this? I guess I don't see the relevance of AFC vs. NFC. It's not like baseball, where you have two leagues that really are different (different rules, don't play against each other except for certain times of the season). Nor is it a geographical thing like basketball and hockey (east vs. west).

I know the AFC is based on the old AFL and the NFC on the old NFL, but does anyone even think in those terms anymore? Aren't AFC and NFC really pretty much arbitrary separations now? Does anyone take any sort of pride in one conference beating another conference in the super bowl?

I'm curious how others feel about this.

Last edited by JimboJ : 01-03-2005 at 12:56 PM.
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 12:57 PM   #2
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I like the way it is and it doesn't both me one bit that Baltimore, Buf or Jax got left out. They had their chance against their division.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:02 PM   #3
JimboJ
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
I like the way it is and it doesn't both me one bit that Baltimore, Buf or Jax got left out. They had their chance against their division.

Yeah, but unless you're a Vikings fan, its GOT to bother you that they got in!
Old 01-03-2005, 01:05 PM   #4
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboJ
Yeah, but unless you're a Vikings fan, its GOT to bother you that they got in!

why? Min @ GB should be a good game. 9-7 vs 8-8...big deal.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:08 PM   #5
gstelmack
Pro Starter

My problem with this approach is that everyone doesn't play the same people when looking across conferences. It's possible for an 8-8 team to be better than a 10-6 one simply based on who they each played. In the particular case of this season it's easy to back up that the AFC was better than the NFC based on the cross-conference matchup records, but you can't look at an individual team's record and draw that same conclusion.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:09 PM   #6
rkmsuf
Head Coach

the world is an imperfect place

the red sox play the devil rays and tigers 19 times
Old 01-03-2005, 01:15 PM   #7
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

10-6 v 8-8
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 01:16 PM   #8
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
10-6 v 8-8

meaning 9-7 not in the playoffs and 8-8 are.

not the individual matchup..their records are irrelevant at this point.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:26 PM   #9
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

It seems that the real unbalance comes from the divisions, not the conferences. If you scrap one, how do you keep the other?

Personally I prefer the NFL's NFC vs. AFC system, where you have two leagues with separate histories, to the NHL's somewhat forced and meaningless geographic approach.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:27 PM   #10
JimboJ
High School Varsity

Quote:

I meant the way they played against the Redskins yesterday, when they had everything to play for and the Skins had nothing to play for. That was not a playoff team that showed up yesterday.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:30 PM   #11
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
I meant the way they played against the Redskins yesterday, when they had everything to play for and the Skins had nothing to play for. That was not a playoff team that showed up yesterday.

so what. i don't see what league structure has to do with it. had they won a couple of close games and had been 10-5 it would have been the same group of guys and the same effort.

the vikings don't strike me as a superbowl team but I can see them giving gb a game next week.

Last edited by rkmsuf : 01-03-2005 at 01:31 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 01:37 PM   #12
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
It seems that the real unbalance comes from the divisions, not the conferences. If you scrap one, how do you keep the other?

Personally I prefer the NFL's NFC vs. AFC system, where you have two leagues with separate histories, to the NHL's somewhat forced and meaningless geographic approach.

I think it's the new alignment, four teams in eight divisions. The old 6 divisions, 3 division champs and 3 wildcards, was the best.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 01:43 PM   #13
JimboJ
High School Varsity

Quote:

Yes, its true you could still end up with a division winner being 8-8. But you still need divisions, because division races still add some excitement to the season.

Scrapping the conferences should eliminate the 8-8 wild card teams, which is more what I'm talking about.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:52 PM   #14
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I like the conferences. Plus, this is only the 6th and 7th time this has happened in the history of the NFL.

The conferences also matter from a scheduling point of view. It also adds rivalries to the league, which you would not have with a straight seeding system.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 04:01 PM   #15
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

The conferences are necessary to determine which teams get to use designated kickers.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 04:42 PM   #16
kcchief19
Pro Starter

How would you break a five-way inter-conference tie between a bunch of 9-7 teams? The system isn't perfect, but I don't see any reason to create new problems to let a 9-7 team in ahead of an 8-8 team. I don't think any given 9-7 team is demonstrably better than any 8-8 team. In fact, I'd take some of this year's 7-9 teams over some of the 9-7 teams.

That said, even FOF will show you that given the schedule structure and division size, it is inevitable that one day a 7-9 or -- god forbid -- 6-10 division winner will make the playoffs and a 9-7 team will stay home. I have no problem with it, but it will happen.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:05 PM   #17
jamesUMD
High School JV

I have more of a problem with a team that may have a record of say 10-6 or 11-5, but second in their division having to go on the road to play an 8-8 team that won their division than I do imbalance between conferences.

Also, Minnesota lost to Green Bay 2 times this year, both on last second FG's, both giving GB the win 34-31 both times. I'll admit they gave lackluster performance, but many teams records were 1-2 plays from being vastly different whether better or worse.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:03 PM   #18
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Would anyone object to this?

Yes.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:17 PM   #19
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Amen. Bring back the Norris, Smythe, Adams, and, crap, I forget the other ones.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 11:30 PM   #20
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Patrick... and Campbell Conference & Wales Conference