Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-15-2005, 10:55 PM   #1
Tempest56
n00b

Game picking backups?

Arrrrrgh. I'm rather infuriated with my current (single-player) season right now. I managed to snag a topped-out RB in the draft, after he slipped down a number of spots. The guy's a beaut - and yet, he's sitting on the bench half the time, and a career backup (rated more than 50 points lower) is running half the snaps for the team. I have no idea why, either. RB starter playing time is set to 9. None of the formations include Running Back #2 anywhere. All three of the specalist situations have the #1 RB listed in them. The primary's Endurance is in the 80s. Re-reading the game logs, there's no sign of even a minor injury to the main RB. And yet, every game, at least a third of the snaps go to the backup. What the heck is going on here?

Tempest56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 11:17 PM   #2
BradAttitude
n00b

How many running plays do you average per game?
Old 02-16-2005, 01:08 AM   #3
Tempest56
n00b

20-25, on average. If the guy were only running two or three plays a game, that wouldn't be a big deal, but when the backup is averaging 8-10 rushes a game, it's a bit weird.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:08 AM   #4
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest56
20-25, on average. If the guy were only running two or three plays a game, that wouldn't be a big deal, but when the backup is averaging 8-10 rushes a game, it's a bit weird.

are you doing your own gameplans? be sure you have coach doing gameplan disable. if not, it will override what you change in the gameplan.

if not and you let your coach do it, then it can variety depending on the quality of your coach.

some coach likes to use two rb more than others. each coach has a different style they like for offense and defense.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:05 AM   #5
jeronemitchell
n00b

Make sure you are not letting the coach do your depth charts, either. That would give the same result.
jeronemitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 03:47 PM   #6
Tempest56
n00b

Yup, I did both - I even went back and re-checked to be sure. But it's still happening.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:12 PM   #7
Buzzbee
College Starter

Is your RB also returning kicks and punts? And is he set as your gunner? Those might add extra plays where he has to "recover" and therefore your backup gets the nod. Just a thought.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:35 PM   #8
jbmagic
Pro Starter

and what the endurance rating for your RB1 and RB2?
Old 02-16-2005, 04:45 PM   #9
Celeval
Pro Starter

Check the pbp. When are the backup's carries coming? After 3-4 straight carries? Might be a gameplanning issue with too many consecutive runs. Are they in the same formation every time?
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 05:01 PM   #10
mhass
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic

some coach likes to use two rb more than others. each coach has a different style they like for offense and defense.

I didn't know that. How do you find out if your coach likes to do this?

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 05:44 PM   #11
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhass
I didn't know that. How do you find out if your coach likes to do this?

there no way to tell what style the coach likes to run for your team. just ratings.

some say you have to wait a year or two to see what kind of gameplan he doing for your team and just get a feel for the style he doing. then get the players to fit his system.

for example if you see you coach likes to run two different RB, then be sure to get a great backup RB. if you see your coach likes for offense to pass to the tightend and FB a lot. then get a great FB and TE that can catch.

i hoping on next version of FOF, it will tell you what style he prefers to run on offense and defense.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:29 PM   #12
BradAttitude
n00b

Which RB do you have selected for each formation you normally run? It could be that you have RB2 slotted into the RB position on some formations.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:16 AM   #13
Tempest56
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee
Is your RB also returning kicks and punts? And is he set as your gunner? Those might add extra plays where he has to "recover" and therefore your backup gets the nod. Just a thought.

I think this was it. I caught that the #1 RB was also returning kicks. As soon as I took him out of there, the number of carries by the #2 RB dropped by half. Thanks, y'all.