Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-05-2005, 05:07 PM   #1
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Playing veterans in the preseason

Is there any benefit to playing someone in the preseason that has already maxed out his potential? Can all my key veterans be on the inactive list during the preseason to avoid injury?

MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 08:52 PM   #2
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I've seen a mixed bag from this. Some teams seem to get away with it, others always seem to start slow when they do this. I haven't looked close enough to see if cohesion takes a hit (which could explain this), but I've always taken the stance that the substitution routines at least attempt to mimic preseason substitution patterns, so I leave my veterans at their normal positions. If anyone gets even a minor injury, though, they're benched until the regular season.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:54 PM   #3
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

I try to protect my 14 best players by making them inactive. I think that most people started doing this because Jim did it in the IHOF.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 01:13 AM   #4
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Jim must have an advantage over others because he the programmer of his own game he knows all the in's and out's
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 02:28 AM   #5
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
Jim must have an advantage over others because he the programmer of his own game he knows all the in's and out's

I don't think so, because I think he programmed alot of it blindfolded
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 07:38 AM   #6
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Some seemingly maxed-out veterans are not maxed out and still gain experience, while some non maxed-out players will never reach their potential.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 10:05 AM   #7
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

FWIW, Jim has routinely sat his big-time starters in IHOF. That probably says a lot about the importance of playing them in the pre-season.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 11:25 PM   #8
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

I still play stars a little bit. I do believe they start the regular season off quicker that way. That said, I only play them a LITTLE, not a lot. For instance, my starting QB probably plays 2 halves out of the 4 games.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 03-08-2005 at 11:26 PM.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 10:17 AM   #9
badger ken
n00b

Another vote for the "play them a little" camp - I used to always sit all my top guys throughout all of preseason, and noticed for about 5 years most of my team's losses were in the first few games. Possibly coincidence, but i don't think so.
badger ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 12:00 PM   #10
mhass
High School Varsity

I have made them inactive until the last game. I go all-out in the last game with my 'opening day" roster.

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 04:41 AM   #11
Alf
Pro Starter

sit all games. no need to risk an injury...
Old 03-25-2005, 04:10 PM   #12
Pyser
Pro Rookie

I have always been in the school of "don't risk the injury".

But EaglesFan27 made it very public in the eNFL that he thinks sitting your starters in the pre-season results in a sluggish start to the regular season. So he played his starters, and then went on to go 19-0 and win the Super Bowl. So, in the eNFL, anyway, I expect to see many teams playing their starters in the pre-season.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 05:15 PM   #13
Masked
College Starter

I learned the hard way in the CFL to sit starters in preseason. Any cohesion hit is better than not having your star LT for a season.

As an aside, maybe online leagues should just turn injuries down for the preseason so that teams can try realistic lineups, get young players some experience, test out gameplans, etc.
Masked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 06:14 PM   #14
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
FWIW, Jim has routinely sat his big-time starters in IHOF. That probably says a lot about the importance of playing them in the pre-season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
But EaglesFan27 made it very public in the eNFL that he thinks sitting your starters in the pre-season results in a sluggish start to the regular season. So he played his starters, and then went on to go 19-0 and win the Super Bowl. So, in the eNFL, anyway, I expect to see many teams playing their starters in the pre-season.

Also FWIW, Jim's IHOF team is a notoriously slow starter.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 06:17 PM   #15
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked
I learned the hard way in the CFL to sit starters in preseason. Any cohesion hit is better than not having your star LT for a season.

As an aside, maybe online leagues should just turn injuries down for the preseason so that teams can try realistic lineups, get young players some experience, test out gameplans, etc.

If you check the injury report for a professional team, it comes close to looking like your teams do at the 200 setting...
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 05:12 PM   #16
Pyser
Pro Rookie

what exactly is the cohesion hit you take by resting starters in the pre-season?

i thought cohesion was based on how long the players had been together, not how long theyd been starting together.

if there is a hit, does it go away when you play your starters in week 1? or am i wrong on cohesion in general?
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 07:54 PM   #17
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
what exactly is the cohesion hit you take by resting starters in the pre-season?

i thought cohesion was based on how long the players had been together, not how long theyd been starting together.

if there is a hit, does it go away when you play your starters in week 1? or am i wrong on cohesion in general?

That's also my understanding of cohesion. I'll believe the 'slow start' theory when someone can produce concrete evidence from a statistically significant sample size.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote