Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-18-2005, 09:13 AM   #1
Bee
Pro Starter

Norcross GA?

I know there are several folks from Georgia here and was wondering if anyone can tell me much about Norcross? There's an appealing job opening in Norcross with my company and I'm debating whether to look into it or not. I really couldn't find much about the area though. I'm interested in descriptions of the area, quality of restaurants, stores, etc.

Thanks for any info.

B

Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 09:16 AM   #2
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

It's like Fairfax...but with less politicians and more rednecks.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 09:21 AM   #3
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
I know there are several folks from Georgia here and was wondering if anyone can tell me much about Norcross? There's an appealing job opening in Norcross with my company and I'm debating whether to look into it or not. I really couldn't find much about the area though. I'm interested in descriptions of the area, quality of restaurants, stores, etc.

Thanks for any info.

B
You can't find anything on Norcross because it is a relatively small "town" that is really just a suburban/urban part of metro Atlanta. You've got all the amenities of a major metropolitan area in terms of restaurants, stores, etc. It is in southern Gwinnett County, which puts it in the northeastern quadrant of the metro area--a pretty good area. Depending on exactly where in Norcross--how close you are to I-85--you could be 15 minutes (non-rush-hour) from downtown Atlanta, and 15 minutes (non-rush-hour) from the Mall Of Georgia. I live less than 100 yards from Tucker-Norcross Road, which is exactly what it says: a road that runs from Tucker to Norcross.

EDIT: FYI, Tucker is in northeastern DeKalb County, which borders Gwinnett. I can cross the county line around a mile from my house and I'm in Norcross.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 03-18-2005 at 09:28 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 09:30 AM   #4
Bee
Pro Starter

SkyDog as a neighbor...hmmm....guess I'll cross this idea of my list.

Seriously, the job looks pretty good and the house prices from what I've seen are around 1/3rd what they are around here. Just have to convince the wife that it's worth looking into...
Old 03-18-2005, 09:36 AM   #5
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
SkyDog as a neighbor...hmmm....guess I'll cross this idea of my list.
Actually, if you wanted to drive the opposite direction of traffic during rush hours, you would probably want to live quite near me.

What company is it? Is the Norcross office somewhere on or near Peachtree Industrial?
Old 03-18-2005, 09:39 AM   #6
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Actually, if you wanted to drive the opposite direction of traffic during rush hours, you would probably want to live quite near me.
...or he could come live near me and share my 50 mile commute

But then again, I may go back to working downtown in the next few weeks
Old 03-18-2005, 09:43 AM   #7
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
How DO you get to downtown from your house? I-20?
Old 03-18-2005, 09:43 AM   #8
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I know they have a solid youth soccer program there called the Norcross Fury.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:49 AM   #9
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:

What company is it? Is the Norcross office somewhere on or near Peachtree Industrial?

Parsons Corporation. The office is on Triangle Parkway, it's not one of our bigger offices (which is a positive to me ).
Old 03-18-2005, 10:08 AM   #10
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
How DO you get to downtown from your house? I-20?
I-20 or Paces Ferry if I want to stay off the interstate (i.e. for commute purposes)

Old 03-18-2005, 10:08 AM   #11
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
Parsons Corporation. The office is on Triangle Parkway, it's not one of our bigger offices (which is a positive to me ).
Ah. Up 141. (which splits from Peachtree-Industrial). That's more in the northern part of Norcross--probably 10ish miles from my house, and probably 5ish miles from the I-285 Perimeter. You could basically live anywhere in the northeast part of town and be within decent (for Atlanta) driving distance of your office. In terms of housing, yes, it is less expensive than other large metro areas. The farther north (away from town) you go, the more house you'll get for the same money. The down-side of living too far north is that we have some of the worst traffic in the nation. Considering you'd be moving from a more expensive city and will therefore probably be able to afford it, I'd strongly recommend living in Norcross or somewhere south of there. You'd be closer to town (nicer restaurants, sports venues, etc.), and driving opposite of traffic every day. I'd specifically look in the immediate area in and around Norcross, or in the townships of Dunwoody or Tucker, or in the "unincorporated Atlanta" section that is in the Lakeside High School district. All three of the non-Norcross communities mentioned have solid schools and easy access to the interstates to get to Norcross. Tucker, at 10 miles away, is the farthest from that office that I've mentioned. If it comes about, I hope all that helps.

--Ben
Old 03-18-2005, 10:08 AM   #12
Buzzbee
College Starter

With the office located there, you have several options in terms of where you would want to live. You could live ITP (that's "Inside The Perimeter") around buckhead or more toward downtown and have a relatively easy commute. Or, if you wanted you could head the other direction towards the John's Creek area which is nice, and growing quite a bit. I used to work in John's Creek. Or, you could settle more in the SkyDog area and battle I-285 traffic.

The office is located in a pretty good area, lot's of small businesses and office parks. The office parks have generated a lot of growth in that corridor.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:16 AM   #13
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:

VPI - If you do let me know and I might be able to help your commute. I'm pretty familiar with heading from out our way toward downtown. I know a few cut throughs in Vinings that might help shave a few minutes, depending on your final destination.

PM me if you want.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:18 AM   #14
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee
Or, you could settle more in the SkyDog area and battle I-285 traffic
Nah. I never use 285 to get to the Norcross area. Norcross-Tucker Road takes you out to Jimmy Carter. He'd just shoot across Jimmy Carter to PI/141. If I worked there, I'd probably look to live in Norcross or Dunwoody as my first two options, though. Buckhead is kind of a long way away to have to drive every day. There ARE some pretty good back roads out of Tucker that don't have traffic that is too heavy. I've gotten from Dunwoody to Tucker in less than 15 minutes at 6:00pm more than once by going Chamblee-Dunwoody to Peachtree Industrial to Chamblee-Tucker. Cha-Dun and Cha-Tuc in particular are my friends to get to and from several places in peak traffic..

Of course, I'm not used to the kind of drives that Buzzbee and VPI do every day. That would drive me batty. My wife's office is in Dunwoody, and mine is in the Lakeside/unincorporated Atlanta are mentioned earlier. When she times it right, she has a 15-20 minute commute, and mine is as little as 6 minutes when I go before 7am.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:27 AM   #15
Radii
Head Coach

You'd be my neighbor too! I live in Duluth, which is on the other side of Norcross from Tucker I guess... my office is in Norcross, but on the other end of it, not up 141 like that(I can see I-85/Beaver Ruin exit from my office).

Just saying hi :P Skydog can help you a lot mroe than I can, I am still somewhat new to this part of Atlanta comparatively.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 10:33 AM   #16
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
When she times it right, she has a 15-20 minute commute, and mine is as little as 6 minutes when I go before 7am.
And here I am all excited about a possible 45 minute commute downtown.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:42 AM   #17
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
And here I am all excited about a possible 45 minute commute downtown.

When I worked in John's Creek my commute was 40 miles and 1 hr 40 mins. One way!! Just think, I was HAPPY to have a 20 mile 1 hr commute when our office moved.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:45 AM   #18
Bee
Pro Starter

My commute right now is about 1 hour and 15 minutes each way, so anything under 30 minutes would be more than acceptable for me. I'd probably prefer to be closer to Atlanta, just to be close to all the metropolitan stuff and to give my wife a chance to find a job close to home.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:56 AM   #19
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
My commute right now is about 1 hour and 15 minutes each way, so anything under 30 minutes would be more than acceptable for me. I'd probably prefer to be closer to Atlanta, just to be close to all the metropolitan stuff and to give my wife a chance to find a job close to home.

One thing about Atlanta is that it is very spread out. As a result, very few people actually go downtown or "into" Atlanta, since most of the things they need are closer to home. The only time I'll go downtown is for a Falcons, Braves, or Georgia Tech game, to go to the Varisity (famous hamburger/hot dog joint) or on rare occasions to a fancy restaurant.

Depending on how long you think you might live in Atlanta, it might be a good idea to get an apartment for a year, then decide where you want to live. There are a lot of areas that would probably suit your needs.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:16 AM   #20
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee
One thing about Atlanta is that it is very spread out. As a result, very few people actually go downtown or "into" Atlanta, since most of the things they need are closer to home. The only time I'll go downtown is for a Falcons, Braves, or Georgia Tech game, to go to the Varisity (famous hamburger/hot dog joint) or on rare occasions to a fancy restaurant.

Depending on how long you think you might live in Atlanta, it might be a good idea to get an apartment for a year, then decide where you want to live. There are a lot of areas that would probably suit your needs.

heh...the idea of asking my wife to live in an apartment is quite amusing. With all of her "necessities", we need at least a house with 2500 SF (3000 SF if I want to bring any of my stuff).

Edit: BTW, that's good advice in general, just wouldn't work in my specific case.

Last edited by Bee : 03-18-2005 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:15 PM   #21
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Whatever you do stay out of Fulton County. From the description of your office location, you wouldn't be far from Fulton (sounds like you would only be a few blocks from Holcolm Bridge). So be careful to stay out of that county. It's poorly run and taxes are outrageous.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote