Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-10-2005, 12:18 PM   #1
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Worst T.V. Shows given too many chances

What are some T.V. shows that you think suck ass, but keep coming back for more?

For me and probably 80% of the people on here, it has to be those dumbass reality shows. Survivor isnt a bad show, but most of the other ones suck ass.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!

Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 12:23 PM   #2
Joe
Pro Starter

arrested development
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 12:26 PM   #3
Flasch186
Coordinator

surreal life, its like a f'in train wreck.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 12:31 PM   #4
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
surreal life, its like a f'in train wreck.

it's a shame you haven't been contacted to be on that show yet.. or have you?
Old 04-10-2005, 12:42 PM   #5
Anthony
Banned

they use actors on Surreal Life? i always knew the show was written, but i at least thought the rednecks were authentic. i only watched a couple episodes from the first season, i didn't think there was enough to justify several seasons.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 12:44 PM   #6
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
they use actors on Surreal Life? i always knew the show was written, but i at least thought the rednecks were authentic. i only watched a couple episodes from the first season, i didn't think there was enough to justify several seasons.

yeah, well some actors. they are all semi-famous people.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:41 PM   #7
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
arrested development

i will personally hunt you down if you dont retract this!

or...just beat you in the enfl.

either way, i take offense!
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 02:02 PM   #8
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Every soap opera on TV
Old 04-10-2005, 02:29 PM   #9
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
arrested development

Care to embellish? The show's incredible, in my opinion. So I'm curious as to why you don't like it.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 02:43 PM   #10
mgadfly
High School Varsity

Big Brother
mgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 02:43 PM   #11
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey
Care to embellish? The show's incredible, in my opinion. So I'm curious as to why you don't like it.

every time I watch it, it just bores me silly. I don't find it funny like many others, so I don't get what the big stink is bout. I find the characters unlikeable, so the show doesn't do anything for me. I don't like Curb Your Enthusiasm either, they're kinda the same brand of comedy, I guess.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:32 PM   #12
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Oprah and every other show with fat broads talking about their feelings.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 04:38 PM   #13
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants

Surely The View must be included in this.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 06:39 PM   #14
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:

Rednecks? Do you maybe have The Surreal Life confused with The Simple Life?
Old 04-10-2005, 06:50 PM   #15
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Third Watch
Old 04-10-2005, 07:02 PM   #16
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants
Starting Over. My fiance TiVo's that crap. Possibly the worst show in existence, utter garbage. I'd rather watch the Rock Paper Scissors Championship of the World.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 07:12 PM   #17
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd
I'd rather watch the Rock Paper Scissors Championship of the World.

SCORE! Is that on tonight?!
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 08:04 PM   #18
cody8200
High School Varsity

The Office by NBC...anyone else feel this way? Ive watched all 3 episodes...I guess I just wish it would make me laugh...just a single time. But seriously in 3 whole episodes...nothing.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 08:33 PM   #19
Desnudo
Coordinator

Dharma and Greg. How did this show ever make to syndication. And why is it on back-to-back every night?
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 08:41 PM   #20
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd
Starting Over. My fiance TiVo's that crap. Possibly the worst show in existence, utter garbage. I'd rather watch the Rock Paper Scissors Championship of the World.

I would watch that.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:48 PM   #21
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Speaking of endless bad reruns, FRIENDS falls completely into that category. Never understood the appeal of it originally other than maybe someone needed to live vicariously through these folks, but why them? Basically 5 dummies with 1 funny guy who, due to low self-esteem, allows the other two male dummies to call all the shots.

The biggest girl dummy at least knows she's a dummy, but the biggest guy dummy always seems to wind up talking to inanimate objects, or insects, or something else equally assinine and this is somehow hilarious. Best observation I ever heard about the show was how in the heck did these 6 always wind up getting the prime seating in the coffee house? Even Seinfeld and Co. sat at different tables in the diner from time to time.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 08:53 PM   #22
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors

The Simple Life...there's a show that needs to disappear ASAP. Everyone involved with that show should be shot.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 09:09 PM   #23
ageofquarrel
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels
Speaking of endless bad reruns, FRIENDS falls completely into that category. Never understood the appeal of it originally other than maybe someone needed to live vicariously through these folks, but why them? Basically 5 dummies with 1 funny guy who, due to low self-esteem, allows the other two male dummies to call all the shots.

The biggest girl dummy at least knows she's a dummy, but the biggest guy dummy always seems to wind up talking to inanimate objects, or insects, or something else equally assinine and this is somehow hilarious. Best observation I ever heard about the show was how in the heck did these 6 always wind up getting the prime seating in the coffee house? Even Seinfeld and Co. sat at different tables in the diner from time to time.

Not to direct this at you personally but I never understand when someone says they hate a tv show and then proceeds to give a descripition of it like they saw it a million times. Unless your spouse or something watches but even then cant you find something else to do for 30 minutes.
ageofquarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 09:18 PM   #24
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageofquarrel
Not to direct this at you personally but I never understand when someone says they hate a tv show and then proceeds to give a descripition of it like they saw it a million times. Unless your spouse or something watches but even then cant you find something else to do for 30 minutes.

Its a good point, and I'll respond though you may still think I'm full of it anyways. Why I referrenced the 'reruns' part in my post. Like he said earlier about Dahrma and Greg being always on the TV, same with Friends. You just can't avoid it. Though I never have watched it for more than 5 minutes at a time (believe it or not) still run across it enough times to have made the previous observations. I am a continuous channel-surfer, and even if something I like is on that I'm watching as soon as the commercial comes I go clicking. Why I can't watch TV with my wife (who doesn't like insipid Friends either.)
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 09:34 PM   #25
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I'm with Mr Wheels on that... Friends was horrid tv..

I despised seinfeld as well.. i'm a very sarcastic dry humor person.. and i thought seinfeld was the stupidest thing on tv..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 12:06 AM   #26
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors

:o d'oh.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:13 AM   #27
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
I'm with Mr Wheels on that... Friends was horrid tv..

I despised seinfeld as well.. i'm a very sarcastic dry humor person.. and i thought seinfeld was the stupidest thing on tv..

i never got the appeal of Seinfeld. sure, it must've been a nice show, but the characters annoyed me immensely. the jokes weren't that funny. never knew why they built this show up to be one of the all-time great sitcoms.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:25 AM   #28
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
i never got the appeal of Seinfeld. sure, it must've been a nice show, but the characters annoyed me immensely. the jokes weren't that funny. never knew why they built this show up to be one of the all-time great sitcoms.

Gotta agree with HA and Ragone on this one.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 12:48 AM   #29
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Friends was really good for its first two (or was it three?) seasons, but then they took the characters to an extreme and that's when people kept watching because of inertia, not because the show was good.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 04:36 AM   #30
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I think Seinfeld is a pretty good show but it seems to have developed a cultish following around it. Trying being the least bit critical about it to these people and they are ready to string you up.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 08:06 AM   #31
KWhit
Coordinator

Seinfeld = Best sitcom ever.

Friends = Crap.

Just my opinion, of course.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 08:12 AM   #32
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Seinfeld = Crap.

Friends = Best sitcom ever.

Just my opinion, of course.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 08:20 AM   #33
Desnudo
Coordinator

You really shouldn't share your opinion if it's terribly wrong.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:35 AM   #34
Tigercat
College Starter

Survivor. Its not the worst reality show ever, I suppose, but its gimmic is stale and its not even half of what it pretends to be in name and description. When you have something like 8 seasons of a show(maybe more?) that is suppose to be about surviving in adverse conditions in the wild and the worst and only real problematic incident is a guy burning his hands in the fire(although it was pretty bad hand burns) then what you don't have is a game of surviving. Its basically "Oh lets feed you guys less than you get fed in your typical western lifestyle, have you guys play silly athletic games, and form cliques like 12 year old girls."

How about you get those contestents to sign some real heavy duty wavers, put them on an Island, and really see about a real game of survival. Pull them off when they decide to quit or professionals observing decide they are really in trouble. You know, a real show of survival, one where they don't get to compete for a can of pringles or a pizza every show. /rant off.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 08:42 AM   #35
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat
How about you get those contestents to sign some real heavy duty wavers, put them on an Island, and really see about a real game of survival. Pull them off when they decide to quit or professionals observing decide they are really in trouble. You know, a real show of survival, one where they don't get to compete for a can of pringles or a pizza every show. /rant off.

this is what i thought Survivor was gonna be like the first time i ever heard about it. when i read further and found out it was gonna be competitions and they weren't gonna really have to fend for themselves...i passed.

i thought they were gonna plant camera's all around the island, send off a group of people with nothing more than the clothes they were wearing, and let humans do what humans do when we're in close quarters without the amenities of life.

oh well.

Last edited by Anthony : 04-11-2005 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:45 AM   #36
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Seinfeld = Crap

Friends = Crap after a couple of seasons

Cheers = Best sitcom ever
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 08:48 AM   #37
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
this is what i thought Survivor was gonna be like the first time i ever heard about it. when i read further and found out it was gonna be competitions and they weren't gonna really have to fend for themselves...i passed.
They should have put them on an island with Flesh eating ogre's.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:54 AM   #38
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat
Survivor. Its not the worst reality show ever, I suppose, but its gimmic is stale and its not even half of what it pretends to be in name and description. When you have something like 8 seasons of a show(maybe more?) that is suppose to be about surviving in adverse conditions in the wild and the worst and only real problematic incident is a guy burning his hands in the fire(although it was pretty bad hand burns) then what you don't have is a game of surviving. Its basically "Oh lets feed you guys less than you get fed in your typical western lifestyle, have you guys play silly athletic games, and form cliques like 12 year old girls."

I remember seeing a few episodes of a show that did something along those lines. I think it was on ESPN. Basically it was teams of five or so competing against each other in outdoor activities, like pathfinding, with the winner getting food and the loser going hungry. Since losing food for a few days in a row could really put you behind the eight ball, it was interesting to watch.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:05 AM   #39
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety
Friends was really good for its first two (or was it three?) seasons, but then they took the characters to an extreme and that's when people kept watching because of inertia, not because the show was good.

-Anxiety

Amen to that. After Ross and Rachel started dating (season 3, I think), the show went down hill.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:39 AM   #40
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody8200
The Office by NBC...anyone else feel this way? Ive watched all 3 episodes...I guess I just wish it would make me laugh...just a single time. But seriously in 3 whole episodes...nothing.

Not I. Isn't as good as the original (what is?), but pretty funny by itself. I thought the 3rd Episode was funnier than the 2nd.

Oh, and I will join with people who will hunt down those listing "Arrested Development" on this thread. It's utterly brilliant.

Though my favorite show of all time is Seinfeld (and it's not even close), so maybe that explains it .
Old 04-11-2005, 10:52 AM   #41
cody8200
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Not I. Isn't as good as the original (what is?), but pretty funny by itself. I thought the 3rd Episode was funnier than the 2nd.

Oh, and I will join with people who will hunt down those listing "Arrested Development" on this thread. It's utterly brilliant.

Though my favorite show of all time is Seinfeld (and it's not even close), so maybe that explains it .

I also think seinfeld is by far the best ever. Thats why I'm so perplexed you like The Office. What particularly have you liked about it? The Steve Caroll boss is so over the top. In the first episode he's playing a nazi. The second he "punks" an employee and tell her shes fired without pension (she cries) and the last one he promises a big suprise and in the end he doesnt deliver. Like I said, I may watch another episode or 2 but I havent heard anything laugh out loud funny yet.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:24 AM   #42
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I also think seinfeld is by far the best ever. Thats why I'm so perplexed you like The Office. What particularly have you liked about it? The Steve Caroll boss is so over the top. In the first episode he's playing a nazi. The second he "punks" an employee and tell her shes fired without pension (she cries) and the last one he promises a big suprise and in the end he doesnt deliver. Like I said, I may watch another episode or 2 but I havent heard anything laugh out loud funny yet.

I love the uncomfortable moments. The whole racial sensitivity episode where everyone was so on edge and the only black guy in the office was picked to be 'black' in the exercise. The "punks" episode was still the first one. The second episode involved the racial stuff where the boss is telling a Chris Rock joke and the higher ups come in.

The big surprise was funny as well, especially since Caroll could not even weasal out of it and they all had to walk away. It was especially amusing when the wierd guy (who was amazing when he was on "Six Feet Under" as well) was trying to come up with a health plan and was asking everyone their diseases. You had your joke diseases (funny in itself), but then he was saying no one has anal leakage when the guy raises his hand and said, no that isn't a joke.

It amuses me. I like the fact that it has no laugh track and the humor is in the parts that are uneasy.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:36 AM   #43
Franklinnoble
Banned

Star Trek.

Seriously. They should have left it alone after The Next Generation. Three more series on top of that were just too much.

Which begs the question - why do they always have to beat the crap out of a modestly successful TV show? I mean, how many versions of Law and Order or CSI do we have now? Can't they just do one good show? Why stretch it?
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 11:41 AM   #44
JeeberD
General Manager

Yup, SVU is awesome. Can't stand CI though...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 11:42 AM   #45
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Star Trek.

Seriously. They should have left it alone after The Next Generation. Three more series on top of that were just too much.

Which begs the question - why do they always have to beat the crap out of a modestly successful TV show? I mean, how many versions of Law and Order or CSI do we have now? Can't they just do one good show? Why stretch it?

Well, I like Law and Order: SVU much more than the original, as I've heard other people say as well. I could do without Criminal Intent and the other two spinoffs though.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:10 PM   #46
cody8200
High School Varsity

I admit the uneasiness is something that is prevalent throughout all of the episodes so far. I do find that to be a good thing. Maybe this is one of those shows that I'll watch and instead of laughing I'll say, "That's funny" but never actually laugh out loud...speaking of that, I believe that was an episode of Seinfeld.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
I love the uncomfortable moments. The whole racial sensitivity episode where everyone was so on edge and the only black guy in the office was picked to be 'black' in the exercise. The "punks" episode was still the first one. The second episode involved the racial stuff where the boss is telling a Chris Rock joke and the higher ups come in.

The big surprise was funny as well, especially since Caroll could not even weasal out of it and they all had to walk away. It was especially amusing when the wierd guy (who was amazing when he was on "Six Feet Under" as well) was trying to come up with a health plan and was asking everyone their diseases. You had your joke diseases (funny in itself), but then he was saying no one has anal leakage when the guy raises his hand and said, no that isn't a joke.

It amuses me. I like the fact that it has no laugh track and the humor is in the parts that are uneasy.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:45 AM   #47
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Just Saw this....

In the lines of this thread, here is a list of shows that are being renewed and those that are being cancelled for the upcoming season:

Renewed (or a shoo-in):
According to Jim (ABC)
Alias(ABC)
Boston Legal (ABC)
Charmed (WB)
Crossing Jordan (NBC)
CSI (CBS)
CSI: Miami (CBS)
CSI: NY (CBS)
Cold Case (CBS)
Cuts (UPN)
Desperate Housewives (ABC)
Everwood (WB)
ER (NBC)
Eve (UPN)
George Lopez (ABC)
Gilmore Girls (WB)
Girlfriends (UPN)
Grey’s Anatomy (ABC)
Half & Half (UPN)
Hope & Faith (ABC)
House (Fox)
Joey (NBC)
King of Queens (CBS)
King of the Hill (Fox)
Las Vegas (NBC)
Law & Order (NBC)
Law & Order: Criminal Intent (NBC)
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (NBC)
Law & Order: Trial by Jury (NBC)
Lost (ABC)
Malcolm in the Middle (Fox)
Medium (NBC)
Numb3rs (CBS)
The O.C. (Fox)
One on One (UPN)
One Tree Hill (WB)
The Simpsons (Fox)
Reba (WB)
Scrubs (NBC)
Smallville (WB)
7th Heaven (WB)
Still Standing (CBS)
That ‘70s Show (Fox)
24 (Fox)
Two and a Half Men (CBS)
Veronica Mars (UPN)
The West Wing (NBC)
What I Like About You (WB)
Without a Trace (CBS)

Gone (or nearly dead):
American Dreams (NBC)
Center of the Universe (CBS)
Clubhouse (CBS)
Complete Savages (ABC)
Dr. Vegas (CBS)
Everybody Loves Raymond (CBS)
Father of the Pride (NBC)
Grounded for Life (WB)
Hawaii (NBC)
JAG (CBS)
Jake in Progress (ABC)
Jonny Zero (Fox)
LAX (NBC)
Life as We Know It (ABC)
Medical Investigation (NBC)
Method & Red (Fox)
The Mountain (WB)
North Shore (Fox)
NYPD Blue (ABC)
Point Pleasant (Fox)
Rodney (ABC)
Second Time Around (UPN)
Star Trek: Enterprise (UPN)
Third Watch (NBC)
Tru Calling (Fox)

On the bubble:
All of Us (UPN)
Arrested Development (Fox)
Bernie Mac (Fox)
Blind Justice (ABC)
Committted (NBC)
Eyes (ABC)
8 Simple Rules (ABC)
Jack & Bobby (WB)
Joan of Arcadia (CBS)
Judging Amy (CBS)
Kevin Hill (UPN)
Less Than Perfect (ABC)
Life on a Stick (Fox)
Listen Up (CBS)
The Office (NBC)
Quintuplets (Fox)
Summerland (WB)
Will & Grace (NBC)
Yes, Dear (CBS)
Old 04-13-2005, 07:56 AM   #48
KWhit
Coordinator

And I really like Father of the Pride.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 07:57 AM   #49
Butter
Coordinator

Family Guy
Old 04-13-2005, 08:35 AM   #50
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

Do you work in an office Cody? Have you ever? If not, you won't get most of the jokes. The wife and I are office slaves and both find it laugh out loud funny, especially my wife, who just quit a job working for a particularly clueless boss.