Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-15-2005, 04:18 PM   #1
maximus
Banned

Seattle looking to trade Shaun Alexander for a second rounder.

Actually, Indy is also looking to trade their RB (E.James) for a second rounder.

I don't have a link yet but I am hearing that the Chicago Bears are interested in Shaun Alexander and may trade that 2nd rounder and keep the 1st rounder to draft a WR. Some Bears fans are actually upset about this and are saying that TJ should have another shot. Me, well - I say TJ already had a chance to prove himself the last 5 years. The statistics speak for themselves. I say the Bears should do it.

Shaun Alexander drafted in 2000 Round 1 - 19 overall pick:

Thomas Jones drafted in 2000 Round 1 - 7th overall pick:

Last edited by maximus : 04-15-2005 at 04:22 PM.
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:19 PM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Indy doesn't have the rights to Alexander.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:22 PM   #3
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Indy doesn't have the rights to Alexander.

Opps, I corrected that.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:25 PM   #4
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
I say TJ already had a chance to prove himself the last 5 years. The statistics speak for themselves.

Yeah, but 3 of those were with Arizona. I say he should be given at least that much time after Arizona to undo all the damage that team did to him.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:40 PM   #5
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

The upgrade from Thomas Jones to Shaun Alexander isn't going to push the Bears into the playoffs, in my opinion. The 2nd rounder could be better spent elsewhere.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:43 PM   #6
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

The other issue the Bears would have to consider is Alexander's salary. He was franchised because he wants big money and he and the 'Hawks couldn't get a deal done by the franchising deadline.

Alexander is a great back (as is Edgerrin), but there just aren't that many teams in need of a back and with the draft as loaded as it is that's why both are being shopped for 2nd rounders.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:45 PM   #7
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

He's a good back - with a great line, give TJ a line with Walter Jones and he'd produce more too.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:48 PM   #8
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
The upgrade from Thomas Jones to Shaun Alexander isn't going to push the Bears into the playoffs, in my opinion. The 2nd rounder could be better spent elsewhere.
Well assuming Rex Grossman is a passable Qb (I know that is a big assumption) the addition of Shaun Alexander and Braylon Edwards might be enouhg to give them a shot at the playoffs. The NFC North hasn't exactly been playing stellar ball these last couple of years.

Last edited by primelord : 04-15-2005 at 04:49 PM.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:48 PM   #9
Franklinnoble
Banned

I've said it before and I'll say it again... running backs are a dime a dozen, and they're often overrated and overpaid. I think Denver is still the only team to have this figured out.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:54 PM   #10
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
I've said it before and I'll say it again... running backs are a dime a dozen, and they're often overrated and overpaid. I think Denver is still the only team to have this figured out.

I agree, there are very few backs that transcend into someone that is a irreplacable, integral part of the franchise. Barry Sanders was the last one that comes to mind. Curtis Martin is borderline along that level.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:01 PM   #11
maximus
Banned

Well, Shaun is averaging 1,187 yards & 12.5 TD's a season. Thats pretty good if you ask me.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:06 PM   #12
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
Well, Shaun is averaging 1,187 yards & 12.5 TD's a season. Thats pretty good if you ask me.

And Jones would have rushed for that many yards if he played all 16 games. Like WSUCougar said, it's not a big enough upgrade to justify a 2nd round pick. That pick would be better served improving the OL for Jones or improving another area of the team.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:08 PM   #13
Desnudo
Coordinator

I think the Patriots have proven that you don't need a stellar running back to do well. It's a nice to have, but not a requirement.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 05:08 PM   #14
maximus
Banned

"IF"

I think Shaun could rush for 15,000 in his career.

Last edited by maximus : 04-15-2005 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:14 PM   #15
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

They should have never cut Anthony Thomas. Gaining 1000 yards two times in three years with that offense? With those quarterbacks? With that offensive line? The guy should have gone to the pro bowl each year! Yes, that is sort of an exaggeration, but come on, what he did with that support system is pretty amazing.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 07:11 PM   #16
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
"IF"

I think Shaun could rush for 15,000 in his career.

Not with the Bears offense if they don't improve the other positions.

Yeah, I used the word "if" in a point I'm making. How they hell does that automatically make it a bad point?

Last edited by sabotai : 04-15-2005 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:37 PM   #17
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
How do you think Joe Gibbs feels now that there is a market where teams are looking to give away RB's for dryer lint?
Old 04-15-2005, 07:51 PM   #18
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn&TheLions
How do you think Joe Gibbs feels now that there is a market where teams are looking to give away RB's for dryer lint?

The same I'm sure, since they were losing Champ Bailey either way, and the defense was still stellar without him.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:41 AM   #19
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:

Actually, I think Seattle has a similar philosophy which is why they are trying to unload the guy since he wants so much money. They did the same with Ahmad Green.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 06:48 AM   #20
Thomkal
Head Coach

The Cardinals should be jumping to get either of these guys (or Travis Henry), though I suppose the Seahawks wouldn't trade Alexander to a divisional rival.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 07:02 AM   #21
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
I think LaDanian Tomlinson is not overrated or overpaid. Denver just had an offensive line that cut blocked, so any back in that "system" was good. (See Atlanta last year to see what the line does for you, i.e. Alex Gibbs)
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote