Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-30-2005, 01:47 PM   #1
st.cronin
General Manager

TCY - greatest, most frustrating game EVER.

You start the season with high hopes. Drew McCormick, 5th year senior, 4th year starter, led the team to 8-4, 9-3, 10-2, 10-2 records. You also have 5th year seniors at tailback, fullback, tight end, and both wide out positions. You are returning all 5 starters at O-line, and 9 starters on defense.

You think a Big 12 title is practically guaranteed - the best teams in the conference are all scheduled as home games. The stars are aligned just right for a possible national championship.

Opening game of the season- 1st play from scrimmage - McCormick tears his ACL, and you go down to TULANE 10-6.

st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 02:02 PM   #2
FBPro
College Starter

I read things like this and REALLY want to like this game...........but it still hasn't happened, can't count the number of times I've tried to "endure" the recruiting. Well, I'll probably try it again soon.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 02:33 PM   #3
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

S'what you get for scheduling cupcakes.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 04:33 PM   #4
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro
I read things like this and REALLY want to like this game...........but it still hasn't happened, can't count the number of times I've tried to "endure" the recruiting. Well, I'll probably try it again soon.

This was finally the nail into the coffin for me. Had a good dynasty thread going on and ultimately, the recruiting just did me in. The game is magnificent, but ack! on the recruiting.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 05:15 PM   #5
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
This was finally the nail into the coffin for me. Had a good dynasty thread going on and ultimately, the recruiting just did me in. The game is magnificent, but ack! on the recruiting.

Todd

I'm completely the opposite. When I play, I try and let the CPU handle everything but the recruiting. I like to recruit the players[and see how well they transfer to the college level] and the games are a complete afterthought to me. I guess instead of trying to win the national title[hell most of the time I have no clue what my team's record is] my main goal would be complete domination of in-state recruiting.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 05:53 PM   #6
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93
I'm completely the opposite. When I play, I try and let the CPU handle everything but the recruiting. I like to recruit the players[and see how well they transfer to the college level] and the games are a complete afterthought to me. I guess instead of trying to win the national title[hell most of the time I have no clue what my team's record is] my main goal would be complete domination of in-state recruiting.

I really enjoy the recruiting aspect of the game, too.

I think I enjoy NCAA Football 2004/5 more for that reason, in that, I really enjoy playing the game and seeing a stud player make an impact or whatever.

But I love watching the stats and seeing players do well in TCY, too. I'm actually having a lot more fun with TCY as a HS SIM - that is, changing all the teams to HS in my home state (though obviously they're still in different parts of the country, geographically according to the game) and playing it out that way.

I never got into TCY as a college sim and I've owned it for a while.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:29 PM   #7
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93

Shall we dance?

You do the recruiting, I'll play the games.

Todd
Old 04-30-2005, 06:33 PM   #8
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

I would have loved the recruiting part to be in the off-season and not DURING the season...
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 06:34 PM   #9
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkiller
I would have loved the recruiting part to be in the off-season and not DURING the season...

Amen. Hence, I can't wait for GD's new college FB game.

Todd
Old 04-30-2005, 06:48 PM   #10
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I wish recruiting was like in real life: before, during AND after the season.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:58 PM   #11
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

I'd rather have the AI do the recruiting, but it does such a lousy job of it. A couple years of the AI handling recruiting and your team is in the shit hole.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 07:05 PM   #12
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Shall we dance?

You do the recruiting, I'll play the games.

Todd
Concur....I could go for that.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:05 PM   #13
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci
I'd rather have the AI do the recruiting, but it does such a lousy job of it. A couple years of the AI handling recruiting and your team is in the shit hole.
Yep, exactly. It would be nice to have some sliders to adjust what the AI looks for.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:25 PM   #14
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro

Ditto. The strange thing for me is that I enjoy the recruiting in many other college games but just can't get into it in TCY. Not really sure why.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:47 PM   #15
timmynausea
College Starter

When you're a small program trying to build your way up, recruiting is more fun. At least for me. The first time you land a guy in the top 100 or a QB that your scout ranks really highly is sweet.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 08:17 PM   #16
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
I wish recruiting was like in real life: before, during AND after the season.

Preach on.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:10 AM   #17
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea
When you're a small program trying to build your way up, recruiting is more fun. At least for me. The first time you land a guy in the top 100 or a QB that your scout ranks really highly is sweet.
I second that.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:12 AM   #18
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
You start the season with high hopes. Drew McCormick, 5th year senior, 4th year starter, led the team to 8-4, 9-3, 10-2, 10-2 records. You also have 5th year seniors at tailback, fullback, tight end, and both wide out positions. You are returning all 5 starters at O-line, and 9 starters on defense.

You think a Big 12 title is practically guaranteed - the best teams in the conference are all scheduled as home games. The stars are aligned just right for a possible national championship.

Opening game of the season- 1st play from scrimmage - McCormick tears his ACL, and you go down to TULANE 10-6.
I once had this happen with my QB about to break the all time record in yards, tds , comp percentage but was injured mid season. Really sad for me.