Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-07-2005, 09:08 PM   #1
primelord
Pro Rookie

Poker: A Sit and Go Mini-Dynatsy

Poker Stars recently offered another re-load bonus so I thought I would document my quest to clear that bonus. I am going to be stealing an idea from Subby and clearing it through the Poker Stars Sixty method. I will be playing 60 $20+2 sit and go tournaments which will give the requisite number of FPPs I need to clear the bonus.

This shouldn't take me very long as I will be playing these tournaments 5 at a time. 12 sessions and I am done. I exepct to get at least one session a day in and some times two so I should be done in 8-10 days. The way I usually handle this is I start up 5 tournaments at once and then play them through to the end. I don't add any tournaments if I bust out until I have completed all 5. Playing 5 tournamenst at once can be a bit tricky if I happen to do well inall of them and end up playing 5 short handed tables. Needless to say this hasn't been much of a problem for me in the past.

Feel free to make comments, suggestions, and what not ony my play as I go. I will be recapping these out of Poker Tracker so I may not always be 100% clear on what my read of a player was when I was in the tournament. I will most likely document any hand I am in that is of any signifigance and possibly and significant hands for anyone throughout the tourney. Especially at the end. I hope you'll enjoy the reading.

primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 10:06 PM   #2
primelord
Pro Rookie

Tournament #1

Level 1: Blinds 10/20, t1,500 chips

Hand #1: I am dealt 5s, 3c in the BB. UTG+1, MP1, Button, and SB all call and I check. There is t100 in the pot with a flop of 4d, 6d, 4s. I flopped an OESD and I figued I would try and take the first hand down with a pot sized bet. If anyone came back over the top of me or my hand didn't improve I would slow way down. The SB checks, I bet t100, UTG+1 and MP1 fold, the Button calls, SB calls. t400 in the pot and the turn is the Qs. The tunr gets checkd through. The river is the 4c. Sb checks, I check, Button bets t60, the SB check-raises t180, I fold, Button calls.

The SB turns over 9s, 4h for 4 4s. The button shows 6h, 3h. I don't think the SB did a single thing right on this hand. Just a terrible way to play that.

Level 2: Blinds 15/30, t1,350 chips, 5th place in chips, 9 players remaining

Hand #14: We are down to 8 players and I am dealt As, Ad in MP2. It's folded around to me and I open raise t90. The CO and Button fold, the SB calls, and the BB folds. t210 chips in the pot and the flop is Qc, 9h, Kh. The SB checks, and I bet t150. the SB check raises me all-in t1,090. I think about this for a long time. I have the Sb covered, but not by much. This could be a set of 9s or something like a KQ two pair, but I think it could also be a way over played flush draw or AK/AQ. I decide to call. The SB flips over Kc, Qd and I am in trouble. I need an A, a 9, or a running pair to win. The turn is the 7s and the river is the 3c and I am down to t125 chips. Not a great start.

Hand #17: I am UTG and I get dealt Kh, Qh. Since I was playing 5 tournaments I know of forgot I was down to 125 chips and only open raised t90 instead of pushing all-in. UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, the rest of the field folds. The flop is 7s, Qd, 4s. I push my remaining 35 chips into the pot. UTG+1 folds. MP1 thinks for a long time and then calls. He flips over Qc, 3c. I don;t know what he had to think about for only 35 more chips. The turn is the 8d and the river is the 6s and suddenly I have life again with t385 chips.

Level 3: Blinds 25/50, t385 chips, 7th place in chips, 8 players remaining

Hand #21: I am in the CO and I get dealt Ah, Jc. It is folded to me and I push all-in with my t310. The Button and SB fold, the BB calls. The BB calls and flips over 5s, 4s. I get a sacre when two spades come out on the flop, but the final board is Td, 8s, 2s, 9d, 6c and I double up unimproved.

Hand #22: The next hand I am MP2 and I get dealt Ah, Kd. UTG limps, it's folded to me and I raise t300. Everyone folds and I pick up another t125 in chips putting me up to t770.

Level 4: Blinds 50/100, t695 chips, 7th place in chips, 8 players remaining

Hand #29: I am in the CO and I am dealt Qs, Qh. It is folded to me and I open raise t300. The button folds and the SB folds. The BB calls. t650 in the pot and the flop is 5d, Kd, 9d. Not a great flop for me, but I figure I am still probably good. The BB checks and I push my last 395 into the pot. The BB (t1,357) calls and flips over As, 7d. So if I dodge a diamond and an A I will be back in contention here. However it wasn't meant to be. The turn was the 8d and I was drawing dead.

Tournament Result: 8th place

Not the start I was hoping for.

Entry Fee: $22 Payout: $0 Net: -$22

Last edited by primelord : 05-07-2005 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:39 PM   #3
primelord
Pro Rookie

Tournament #2

No playable hands.

Level 2: Blinds 15/30, t1,470 chips, 5th in chips, 9 players remaining

Hand #10: I get Qh, 2s in the BB. UTG+1, UTG+2, MP2, Button, and SB all limp. I check. 6 to the flop for t180. The flop is Kh, Ah, 8h. Certainly a good flop for me and after the SB checks I bet t120 at my flush draw. I am a bit surprised when UTG+1, MP2, and the Button all call. 4 to the turn for t660. The turn is the Jh and I am in great shape. I bet t210, UTG+1 and MP2 fold, the Button raises me to t420. I push in my remaining 1,100 in chips and Button calls. He shows Th, 9c and he is drawing dead. The river is the inconsequential 9h and I increase my chips to t3,300.

Level 3: Blinds 25/50, t3,240 chips, 2nd place in chips, 6 players remaining

No playable hands.

Level 4: Blinds 50/100, t3,140 chips, 2nd place in chips, 5 players remaining

Hand #46: We are down to 4 players and I have not played a single hand since level 2. However my opponents are dropping like flies so all is well. I get dealt Qd, 3c on the button. UTG (t5,070) open raises t300, I fold, the SB (t1,155) calls, and the BB (t4,485) calls. 3 players tot he flop for t900. The flop is 4c, 7s, Ad. The SB checks, the BB checks, UTG bets t400, SB calls, BB folds. 2 to the turn for t1,700. The turn is the Kh. The Sb checks, UTG bets t455 and the Sb calls (all-in). UTG flips over A4 for two pair and the SB flips over AQo. The river is the 4h and the SB is knocked out and I am in the money.

Level 5: 75/150, t2,690 chips, 3rd place in chips, 3 players remaining

We take turns stealing the blinds for essentially the entire 5th level. No significant chips change hands.

Level 6: 100/200, t1,940 chips, 3rd place in chips, 3 players remaining

Hand #85: I am on the button (t1,640)and I get Qs, 9s. I open raise t600. The SB (t3,660) calls and the BB folds. 2 players to the flop for t1,400. The flop is 2h, Qc, 5s. The Sb checks and I bet t600. The SB calls. The turn is the 7s. The SB checks and I push in my remaining 440. The SB calls and flips over Ah, 4h. I just need to dodge 2 outs. The river is the 5h and I increase my chips to t3,480.

Hand #86: On the next hand the Button (my opponent in the last hand) pushses all-in preflop for t2,020. The SB (t7,900) calls and I fold my 3d, 3h. I don't know why, but I am guessing the last loss put the button on tilt because he flips over Js, 9c. The SB flips over Kd, Qh and I am looking in good shape to move into 2nd place. The flop is Ah, 8h, 5s. The tunr is an evil Jd. And the river is the 3s. I would ahve rivered a set, but instead the button picks up t4,000+ in chips and I am back into 3rd place.

Hand #89: I am dealt Kh, Ks in the BB (t3,880). The button (t3,940 the guy who just stayed alive) open raises to t600. The SB folds and I raise to t1,400. The button calls. 2 to the flop for t2,900. The flop is Qd, 6d, 5d. I go ahead and push my t2,680 and the button calls. He flips over Js, Jd and I am in fairly good shape. The tunr is the 9c. However the river brings the Jc and I am out.

Tournament Result: 3rd place

I am happy with the money finish, but I was really hoping for at least 2nd here. I guess I can't blame the button for calling with the high pair and the flush draw, but it still stings to lose on the river like that. As they say though. That's poker.

Entry Fee: $22 Payout: $36 Net: $14

Last edited by primelord : 05-07-2005 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:19 PM   #4
primelord
Pro Rookie

Tournament #3

Again no playable hands in the first level.

Level 2: Blinds 15/30, t1,470 chips, 3rd place in chips, 9 players remaining

Hand #11: I get dealt As, 2s in MP1 (t1,470). It is folded to me and I open raise t90. MP2 (t1,480) calls, and the BB (t930) calls. 3 players to the flop for t285. The flop is 5s, 3h, 8c. We check the flop through. At this point I am wishing I has taken a stab at the pot. I probably would have taken it down. The turn is the 7s and I now have the nut flush draw. The BB bets t30 and I just call. I am not thrilled with this call. If MP2 has a better A a raise my drive him out. MP2 calls as well. 3 to the river for t375. The river is the 7d. The BB bets t3o again, I fold and MP2 calls. BB shows KTs and MP2 shows Ac, Jh and wins the hand.

I am quite annoyed with myself now as I read the situation perfectly. A raise on the turn would have likely knocked MP2 out and I would have won the hand with my A high on the river. Despite reading that I played weakly and lost the pot because of it.

We have a few rounds of wildness and very quickly 5 players are eliminated from the tournament. We are only entering the 3rd level of the tournament and we are already on the bubble. I have the smallest stack, but my stack is still fairly large compared to the size of the blinds. I am in pretty good shape.

Level 3: Blinds 25/50, t1,170 chips, 4th place in chips, 4 players remaining.

Hand #38: The blinds are slowly eating me away when I get 5d, 5c on the button (t895). UTG (t6,450) limps, and I push all-in, both the blinds fold. Again as soon as I make this play I hate it. I am going up against the big stack. If he folds I only pick up 125 chips. If he calls he likely has me beat or is at worst a coin flip dog. A smaller raise would have likely given me the same result without risking all my chips. UTG folds and I pick up the 125 in chips. I tell myself that I still have a decent number of chips left and I need to be a bit more careful here on the bubble.

Hand #39: On the next hand I am UTG and I am dealt 6h, 6c (t1,020). I just gave myself that little pep talk about playing smarter. So of course on this hand I immediately push all-in UTG. I don;t know what is wrong with me. The button calls (t2,975) and I am likely screwed. He flips over Ac, Ks. At least I am a slight favorite. The flop is all good news. 7h, 5h, Tc. At this poitn I am a 75% favorite to win the hand. My spirits are crushed a bit though when the turn brings the As. I am now down to 2 outs or I am gone. The river is the Th and I am booted from the tournament.

Tournament Result: 4th place

I am not at all happy with my play in this one. The bubble play was exceptionally bad. Playing on the bubble is usually one of my strengths. When everyone tightens up I get aggressive and pick up some chips easily that way. However I am not real used to the blinds being so small when we get to the bubble stage and I just was way too aggressive. The risk was not worth the reward. Other than a few blind steals here and there and a few free flops from the BB I only played 3 hands the whole tournament.

Entry Fee: $22 Payout: $0 Net: -$22

Last edited by primelord : 05-07-2005 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:15 AM   #5
primelord
Pro Rookie

Tournament #4

Hand #10: I get dealt Ah, Kc on the button (t1,470). It's folded to me and I open raise t 60. Both blinds fold and I win a boring hand.

Level 2: Blinds 15/30, t1,500 chips, 5th place in chips, 9 players remaining

Hand #14: I get dealt Qd, Jd in UTG+2 (t1,500). It is folded to me and I open limp (thinking now I should have raised). It's folded tot he Sb who calls, the BB (t2,000) then raises to t120. I call and the SB folds. 2 tot he flop for t270. The flop is Kh, 2c, Ad giving me the one sided straight draw and back door flush draw. The BB checks and I check it through. The turn is the Jc. Again we check it through. The river is the Kd. The BB makes a small t90 bet and I call. He flips over 8s, 8c and my hand is good.

Once again I am not happy with my play on this hand. When tuirned the pair I should have bet when it was checked to me. On a board like that it would have been pretty easy to fold to a check-raise. It worked out in the end as my opponent would have likely folded to a turn bet, but I still gave him a free shot to spike an 8 on the river.

Hand #15: On the next hand I get Js, Jd in UTG+1 (t1,740). I open raise to t90 and everyone folds.

Hand #19: I get Ad, 4d on the button (t1,740). Ity is folded to me and I open rais t90. The Sb folds and the BB calls. The flop is 4s, Qc, Ah giving me two pair. The BB checks, I bet t120 and he folds.

Level 3: Blinds 25/50, t1,815 chips, 3rd place in chips, 8 players remaining

Hand #31: I get Ah, 6h UTG+1. I open limp, MP1 and MP2 fold, the CO raises t150, it's folded to me and I call. 2 tot he flop for t375. The flop is 8h, 4d, Tc. I check, the CO bets t300 and I fold. I should have folded to the pre-flop raise.

Hand #38: I get dealt Ah, As in MP1 (t1,640). We are down to 7 players at this point. I open raise t150, the button (t2,125) calls and everyone else folds. 2 tot he flop for t375. The flop is a safe looking 9c, 3h, Ts. I bet t300 and the button riases me to t600. I think about it for awhile and then push all-in. The button thinks for a ling time and finally calls. He filps over Ks, Tc. The turn is the 8h and the river is the final nail Ad. I drag a 3,000+ chip pot.

I am curious what some of yuou reading think of this play. I didn;t have a particularly good read on my opponent here. I did think after I pushed that he was only likely to call with a flopped set so again I probably could have accomplished the same task of trying to get him to fold without risking all of my chips. Any thoughts?

Level 4: Blinds 50/100, t3,130 chips, 1st place in chips, 7 players remaining

Hand #49: I have Kc, Jd in the SB (t3,230). It is folded around to me and I open raise t300. The BB (t1,075) calls. 2 to the flop for t600. The flop is 2c, Jh, 8d. I bet t800 to put the BB all-in and he immediately calls. He flips over Qh, 8h and I am looking good. The turn is the 9s and the river is the 6s and my stack is now up to 4,355.

Hand #60: I get dealt Qd, 2s in the BB (t4,105). It is folded to the SB (t1,425) who completes and I check. 2 tot he flop for t250. The flop is Qh, Jd, Th. I bet t300 and the SB pushes all-in. I quickly fold.

Level 5: Blinds 75/150, t3,755 chips, 1st place in chips, 6 players remaining

Hand #71: We are down to 5 players when I get As, Kd in the SB (t4,205). UTG (t3,856) open raises t450, it is folded to me and I re-raise to t1,500. The BB and UTG both fold and I drag the pot.

Hand #72: On the next hand I get As, Ts on the button (t4,880). UTG (t1,375) limps, I raise to t450, it is folded to the BB (t3,406 same guy from last hand) who calls and UTG folds. 2 to the flop for t1,125. The BB checks, I bet t600, the BB check-raises me to t1,500 and I fold.

Level 6: Blinds 100/200, t3,605 chips, 2ns place in chips, 5 players remaining

Hand #85: On the first hand of the 6th level I get Ah, Kh in the BB. It is folded to the SB (t1,235) who open raises to t400. I re-raise to t1,000. He pushses in his last 835 and I call. He flips over Qd, 6s. The flop comes out 3d, Ac, 9d. The turn is the Ad and the river is the 8c and we are down to 4.

When we get real short handed there is a ton of blind stealing. If anyone really wants to see the results from that I can post it in future write ups, but I can't imagine you would want to see it. I guess it might be helpful for anyone trying to learn how to play short handed and on the bubble.

Hand #100: I get 5h, 4d in the BB (t4,940). The button (t3,901) open raises t600 and the SB pushes all in with his t1,900. I fold and the button calls. The button shows Js, Th and the Sb shows Ah, Kc. The flop brings bad news for the Sb though Td, 7c, 6c. The turn is the Qs giving him 9 outs on the river, but the river is the 3c and we are now down to 3 and in the money.

Hand #104: I get Kc, Qc on the button (t5,040). I open raise t600, the Sb folds, and the BB (t6,501) calls. The flop is Ad, 3s, As. The BB checks, and I bet t1,000. The BB check-raises me all-in and I fold. That one hurt a bit.

Level 7: Blinds 100/200, Antes 25, t4,115 chips, 2nd place in chips, 3 players remaining

HAnd #115: I get Ks, 6d in the SB (t3,765). I open raise to t600 and the BB (t2,118) calls. 2 to the flop for t1,275. The flop is 9c, 6c, Ts. I bet t1,000 and the Bb calls. At this point I should be a bit worried. Unless he is on a flush draw I am likely beat here. The turn is the Td and I decide to try and force him out. I push all-in and he immediately calls. The BB flips over As, Ah. The river is a blank 7s and I lose a huge chunk of my stack.

Hand #119: I manage to steal the blinds a few times and then I get Kc, Tc on the button (T1,997). I open raise to t1,025. The SB (t4,586 the guy who just beat me with AA) re-raises to put me all-in. The BB folds and I call. My opponent flips over Ah, As again and I screwed. However the poker gods smile on me as the flop comes Kd, Jc, Th. I just need to dodge a Q and an A and I am golden. The turn is a 3c and I am now a 77% favorite to win this hand. The river was unfortunately the Qd and I was sent home in 3rd again.

Tournament Result: 3rd place

I over played both of those last two hands although the very last one wasn;t as bad as the one before that. Still I have played better poker.

Last edited by primelord : 05-08-2005 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:56 AM   #6
primelord
Pro Rookie

Tournament 5

Hand #3: I get Ac, Jd on the button. UTG (t1,480) open raises to t60. It's folded to the CO (t 1,500) who calls, I raise to t140. It's folded to UTG who calls and CO calls. 3 to the flop for t450. The flop is 4d, 3c, Tc. I have 2 over cards and a backdoor flush draw. UTG bets t80, CO calls, and I call. 3 to the turn for t690. The turn is the Qh. I know have the gut shot to boradway. UTG checks, and the CO bets t200. I think about this one for a long time. I am getting about 4.5:1 on my money which is enough to chase the gut shot if all my outs are clean. I decide it is too early in the tournament to make this call even though it might be slightly +Ev and I fold. I am happy I did when UTG check-raises to t400. The CO then pushes all-in and UTG calls.

UTG shows Qd, Qs for the turned set and CO shows 4s, 4h for the flopped smaller set. The river was the 2h and UTG took it down. I am sure glad I folded.

Level 2: Blinds 15/30, t1,270 chips, 7th place in chips, 9 players remaining

Hand #18: I get dealt Kd, Kh on the button (t1,400). It's folded to the CO who open raises t120. I re-raise to t240 and the Co calls. 2 to the flop for t525. The flop is a ragged 2h, 8d, 9s. The CO checks and I bet t420. The Co folds.

Level 3: Blinds 25/50, t1,715 chips, 4th place in chips, 8 players remaining

Hand #32: I have Ah, 5s in the BB (t1,390). UTG+1 (t2,355) limps, the Sb completes and I check. 3 to the flop for t150. The flop is Ad, 2s, Ac. The SB checks, I bet t150, UTG+1 calls and the SB folds. 2 the turn for t450. The turn is the Ts and I bet t300, UTG+1 calls. The river is the 2c. I push in my last 940 and UTG+1 calls. He turns over Th, Td for the lower boat and I drag a large pot. Not that I was going anywhere with my 3 Aces, but he really should have raised my turn bet instead of slow playing.

Level 4: Blinds 50/100, t2,880 chips, 1st place in chips, 8 players remaining

We lost another player in level 4, but I didn;t se much in the way of playable hands.

Level 5: Blinds 75/150, t2,730, 2nd place in chips, 7 players remaining

Hand #45: I get Ad, 2h in BB (t2,680). It is folded to the SB (t3,640) who completes. I raise to t450 and the SB calls. 2 to the flop for t900. The flop completely misses me 7s, 6s, 9s. The Sb checks and I try to steal the pot with a t600 bet. The Sb calls. The turn is the 5h. The SB checks and I check it through. The river is the 7c. The Sb bets t750 and I fold.

Hand #54: I get Kd, Qs in the CO (t1,605). I open raise to t450. The button calls for 405 (all-in) and everyone else folds. The button turns over Ad, 6h. The flop is a good one for me Qh, 5c, Jh. Neither the turn nor river bring any help for the button and we down to 5.

Level 6: Blinds 100/200, t2,910, 2nd place in chips, 5 players remaining

Hand #80: I have Qd, 5d on the button. The CO (t7,140) open limps, I fold, the SB (t990) calls, and the BB (t3,160) calls. The flop comes Kc, 2c, Ah. The Sb bets t400, the BB folds, and CO re-raises to put the SB all in. The SB calls and flips over K9h. The CO shows QTc for the broadway and flush draws. The turn was the Ac and the SB was gone. We were down to 3 and in the money again.

Level 7: Blinds 100/200, Antes 25, t2,200 chips, 3rd place in chips, 3 players remaining

Hand #91: I am dealt Kh, Kc in the SB. The button folds, I complete the SB and the BB (t2,785) checks. The flop is Ad, Qh, Tc. I check and the BB checks. The turn is teh Td. I push all-in and the BB folds. I don't like the way I played this hand, but i guess it worked. If the BB would have had an A I would have let him ctach to beat me cheaply and then I gave him a free card if he was drawing to broadway on the turn. Bad play.

Hand #94: I am dealt 8d, 8s in the SB (t 2,885). The button (t8,230) open raises to t600. I push all-in, the BB folds and the button calls. The button shows Ac, Jc and I am a small favorite. The flop looks good for me 3d, 6h, 7h. The turn in the Qd and all is well. However the river again catches me as the Jd falls and I am knocked out in 3rd again.

Tournament Result: 3rd Place

The river is the devil. I am not certain if I am the big stack that I call the raise. Although again it was probably far too agrressive to raise that much with just 88 in the first place. 3 out of 5 money finishes, but all 3rd place finishes which kind of sucks.

Old 05-08-2005, 12:59 AM   #7
primelord
Pro Rookie

Overall Results

# of Tournaments: 5
Total Entry Fees: $110
Amount Won: $108
Net: -$2
ROI%: -1.82%
In the Money %: 60%
Avg Finish: 4.2
1st: 0
2nd: 0
3rd: 3

Last edited by primelord : 05-08-2005 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:49 PM   #8
primelord
Pro Rookie

Tournament 6

Hand #4: I get As, Jh UTG+1 (t1,500). I open raise to 60. The button (t2,780) who knocked out a player in the very first hand and appears to be a wild ass calls. The blinds fold. Two to the flop for 150 chips. The flop comes Kd, Qc, 9d. I have the gut shot broadway draw and an over card. I bet 120 and the button calls. The turn is the beautiful Tc. I bet 400 chips and the button folds. A nice little pot early on.

Level 2: Blinds 15/30, t1,680 chips, 3rd place in chips, 8 players remaining

Hand #12: I am dealt Qs, Qc UTG (t1,680). I raise to 90 the CO (t2,740 the wild ass from before) calls, and the SB (t390) calls. Three to the flop for 300 chips. The flop comes Qh, 7h, 4c. The Sb pushes all-in with his last 300. I just call hoping to induce an overcall from the wild ass CO, however he folds. The SB flips over 6d, 5c for the OESD. Why he called my pre-flop raise with that even short stacked is beyond me. The turn and river bring no help for the SB and I take down another solid pot.

Hand #19: I am dealt Kd, Ks in the SB (t2,130). The CO (t1,635) open limps for 30, the button (t1,615) calls, I raise to 120, the BB folds, the CO calls and the button folds. Two to the flop for 300 chips. The flop is a bit scary for me 4c, Js, Ah. I make a pot sized bet with plans of folding to a raise. The CO folds and I take it down.

Level 3: Blinds 25/50, t2,325 chips, 3rd place in chips, 6 players remaining

Hand #24: I get Kh, Ks again this time in the BB (t2,275). The wild ass CO (t2455) open limps, the button (t2,860) raises to 150, the SB folds, I make it 300, the CO folds and the button calls. Two to the flop for 675 chips. Again the flop is not that great for me 4c, Qh, As. I take the same approach and bet 300 and the button calls. I am a bit worried now. The turn brings the Kc and I am probably in good shape now. If I am lucky the button will have AK. I bet 550, the button raises to 1,100, I push in my remaining chips and the button calls. He flips over Ah, Qs. I just need to dodge the last two As and I am gold. The river is the 8h and I double up.

Level 4: Blinds 50/100, t4,750 chips, 1st place in chips, 5 players remaining

Hand #38: I get dealt Ad, Js UTG (t4,750). I raise to 300 and everyone folds.

Hand #58: I have Ks, Qs UTG (t4,700). Again I raise to 300 and again everyone folds.

Hand #60: I get Kc, Jc in the SB (t4,870). It is folded to me and I raise to 300. The BB (t705) calls. The flop is Qc, 6d, 3h. I check and the BB pushes all-in. I fold.

Level 5: Blinds 75/150, t4,600 chips, 2nd place in chips, 5 players remaining

I steal the blinds a couple of times in the 5th level, but over all the blinds just eat away at my stack a bit. No major hands. We don't lose anyone in this level.

Level 6: Blinds 100/200, t3,925 chips, 2nd in chips, 5 players remaining

Hand #88: I fold Jd, 9d UTG. The button (t2,210) open raises and pushes all-in. He is called by the BB (t1,875). The button shows 8d, 8h and the BB shows Ac, Jc. Overplayed a bit by the button if you ask me, but as we saw yesterday I am probe to the same mistakes. The final board is 3s, Qd, 4d, 9c, 5s and we are down to 4.

Hand #90: UTG (t4,330) open limps, I fold 92s on the button, teh Sb completes and the BB checks. Three to the flop foo 600 chips. The flop is Qd, 7s, 3s. The SB pushes all-in for 1,060, the BB re-raises all-in for 3,985, and UTG folds. The Sb shows As, 3h and the BB shows Qs, 8s. The turn is the 8c and the river is the Jc and we are down to 3 and I am in the money.

Level 7: Blinds 100/200, Antes 25, t4,525 in chips, 2nd place in chips, 3 players remaining

Hand #120: I get Jd, Ts on the button (t3,780). I open raise to 600, the BB (t4,205) calls. The flop is 9d, 5d, 8s. The BB checks and I bet 1,000 at my OESD. The BB folds.

Hand #129: I get 8c, 8s on the button (t4,605). I open raise to 600. The BB (t3,130) again calls. The flop is 6c, 2d, Kd. The BB checks, I again bet 1,000 and the BB folds.

Level 8: Blinds 200/400, Antes 25, t4,675 chips, 2nd in chips, 3 players remianing

Hand #144: I get Kd, 9d on the button (t4,000). I open raise to 1,200. The BB (t3,130) re-raises to 2,400. I think for a long tiem and fold. After I folded I was wishing I had called there, but there is a good chance the BB ahd me.

Hand #151: I get Kc, Qh in the BB (t2,125). The Sb (t3,500) open raises to 800. I push all-in and the SB calls. The Sb chows Jh, 9h and I am in good shape. The flop brings good news with 7h, Qs, Ks. The turn is again is the good news 2d. Now only a T on the river can beat me. The river is the Tc and I am out. That sucks.

Tournamnet Result: 3rd place

Overall I am happy with the way I played this one. I kind if wish I had called that K9s all-in, but I can't say it was a terrible lay down. Finishing in the money is nice and all, but I need some 1st and 2nd place finishes to get ahead of the buy ins.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:52 PM   #9
primelord
Pro Rookie

FWIW if anyone is reading this and is interested can you just let me know. It is more of a pain to post these reports than I thought it would be. I don't mind doing it, but if no one cares (which wouldn't shock me ) then I won't post them.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:57 PM   #10
Simms
FOBL Commish

I'm reading, and am still very interested. I'm spending a lot of time on my own tournament play lately, and it's very educational to see how others play hands that often bear a striking resemblance to some of mine.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:05 AM   #11
primelord
Pro Rookie

Tournament 7

Hand #2: I get deal 8d, 8h UTG+2 (t1,500). I open raise to 60, it's folded to the SB who raises to 240, the BB folds, I call. Two to the flop for 500 chips. The SB bets 200 on the flop and I muck. I wasn't happy about having to call the pre-flop raise, but I have noticed that Stars has a number of players who will re-raise you early in a tournament and if you show early on that you are willing to fold to that re-raise they will continue to re-raise you for most of the tournament. My call here was to avoid falling into that.

Level 2: Blinds 15/20, t1,190 chips, 7th place in chips, 8 players remaining

Hand #15: I am dealt Ad, 9s on the button (t1,145). I open raise to 90 and the BB calls. Two to the flop for 195. The flop comes 9d, 7s, Ts. The BB checks and I bet 210. The BB folds.

Level 3: Blinds 25/50, t1,250 chips, 4th place in chips, 7 players remaining

Hand #22: I am dealt Kh, Jc on the button (t1,225). The CO open limps, the button calls, I call, the Sb completes and the BB checks. Five players to the flop for 250. The flop comes Qh, Jh, Ts. An interesting flop for me as I flop middle pair, an OESD, and a backdoor 2nd nut flush draw. The SB bets 150, it is folded to me and I make a pretty loose call. The turn is the Ah. The SB bets 300 and push all-in. The SB thinks for a long time and calls. He shows Kc, 7s. So we are splitting the pot unless I can catch a heart on the river. The river is the beautiful 7h and I double up.

I am not certain if I like my flop call here or not. Obviously it worked out, but I was assuming I was likely behind and the pot odds suggest I need 13 clean outs to justify a call. I think it was reasonable to give myself about 10 clean outs and the implied odds were probably close enough to make a call ok. Obviously since I was ahead the whole time the call was correct, but even if I was behind I think it was close.

Level 4: Blinds 50/100, t2,550 chips, 2nd place in chips, 6 players remaining

Not a lot of action for me in this level. I finished the level 3rd in chips and we lost another player to get down to 5.

Level 5: Blinds 75/150, t2,350 chips, 3rd in chips, 5 players remianing

Early in the 5th level we get down to 4 players and everyone starts playing very tight on the bubble. I get some very obvious blind stealing hands and am successful with each of them, but other than that I didn;t see a single hand that ended up seeing the flop. The blinds eat away at my stack a bit and I enter the 6th level 4th in chips.

Level 6: Blinds 100/200, t2,425 chips, 4th place in chips, 4 players remaining

Hand #72: The button (t5,300) open raises to 600, the SB (t2,940) re-raises all-in. I quickly fold my T7o and the button calls. These two players were the big stack and the 2nd biggets stack at the table. The button shows Ah, Kh and the SB shows Ac, Jh. It looks like I am in very good shape to get another money finish. The flop comes 3h, 5h, Qc. The turn is the 6d and now the SB can stay alive with only a J. The river is the 3c and I am in the money.

Hand #75: The button (t9,840) open limps, I fold in the SB with 8c, 5s. The BB (t1,635) checks. Two to the flop for 500. The flop comes 2c, Td, 4h. The BB bets 400, The button calls. The turn is the 3d. The BB pushes all-in for 1,035 and the button quickly calls. The BB shows Kd, 2h and the button shows Qs, 3s. He had the best hand, but that seems like an odd call to me. The river is the Js and we are down to 2.

We are heads up now and I am quite a chip disadvantage. I ahve t1,925 in chips and the leader has over 11,000.

Hand #82: We spend several hands folding/stealing blinds. I get Ks, 9d in the SB (t1,325). I open raise to 600. The BB raises to put me all-in. I only have 825 left and I figure this is a good shot to try and double up as with such a larget stack he could be raising with almost anything. I call and the BB flips over Qd, Th. I am in good shape. The flop is 6s, Tc, 3h. Not so good a shape anymore. The turn and river are of no help to me and I am out in 2nd.

Tournament Result: 2nd Place

I finally break the string of 3rds and get into a decent money finish. Again overall I am pretty happy with my play in this one.

Last edited by primelord : 05-09-2005 at 01:07 AM.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:37 AM   #12
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

I don't play sit and gos but I am always interested in poker reports here at fof. One quicky question. It appears that you always open raise 3xBB and and about another BB for each limper. I used do this when playing low entry fee MTT but that amout didn't seem to thin the field enough with the hands I would rather play against one or two people. Are you happy with the 3xBB raise at this higher level especially early on? Is there any reason to vary your raises here?
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:06 AM   #13
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieflatline
I don't play sit and gos but I am always interested in poker reports here at fof. One quicky question. It appears that you always open raise 3xBB and and about another BB for each limper. I used do this when playing low entry fee MTT but that amout didn't seem to thin the field enough with the hands I would rather play against one or two people. Are you happy with the 3xBB raise at this higher level especially early on? Is there any reason to vary your raises here?

The 3xBB tends to do a decent job thinning the field even in the early stages of the tournament at this level. I am generlly not too worried about it though as a pot sized bet on the flop will take down the pot a high percentage of the time even if you get several callers with your pre-flop raise.

I think there are two good schools of thought for pre-flop raising. Either always vary your raising or always keep it consistent. The $20+2 at Stars is full of very poor players, but you do get players who pay attention to things like how much riase on certain hands etc. So if you make a standard 3xBB raise with everything you would raise pre-flop they can't get a read on what you may have. The same goes if you vary your raise amounts on each raise.

I prefer the set amount for a couple of reasons. The first being that I am playing 5 of these tournaments at once and it gets hard to keep track of how much I raised on a given table the previous time. Also though when you are varying your raises your opponents may read a pattern into it that isn't there. Which may lead to them reacting to your raise in way you weren't expecting or hoping they would. With the standard raise method a large portion of theplayers at this level become pretty predictible. They end up almost always respecting your raises and if they come back over the top of you they almost always have you beat.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:56 AM   #14
TRO
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by primelord
Hand #38: I get dealt Ah, As in MP1 (t1,640). We are down to 7 players at this point. I open raise t150, the button (t2,125) calls and everyone else folds. 2 tot he flop for t375. The flop is a safe looking 9c, 3h, Ts. I bet t300 and the button riases me to t600. I think about it for awhile and then push all-in. The button thinks for a ling time and finally calls. He filps over Ks, Tc. The turn is the 8h and the river is the final nail Ad. I drag a 3,000+ chip pot.

I am curious what some of yuou reading think of this play. I didn;t have a particularly good read on my opponent here. I did think after I pushed that he was only likely to call with a flopped set so again I probably could have accomplished the same task of trying to get him to fold without risking all of my chips. Any thoughts?

At the point of your all-in, you are sitting at 1090, any raise you make immediately takes you down to 490 or less. If you are committed to folding to another raise, you could have potentially played more cautiously and not gone all-in. I think you made the right move but I'm over-aggressive at times myself.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:19 PM   #15
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I've been enjoying this a great deal seeing what someone does in certain situations, especially someone who is a better player than I am so I really hope you continue to do this.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:06 PM   #16
primelord
Pro Rookie

Thanks for the comments guys. I am going to keep posting the results. It just got a bit late last night so I didn't finish posting the 2nd session, but I should have time to do that tonight.

Posting this is very beneficial for me because it forces me to review my own play which I have a hard time getting myself to do normally. I also focus on not making mistakes because I know I am going to have to post it if I do. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't boring everyone to tears.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:46 PM   #17
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

(reading)
Old 05-09-2005, 10:21 PM   #18
primelord
Pro Rookie

Tournament 8

Level 1: Blinds 10/20, t1,500

Hand #7: We are only a few hands in and we have already lost another player. I get dealt Ah, 6h in MP2. It's folded to me and I open raise to 60. The Co (t1,970) calls, and the BB (t2,840) calls. 3 to the flop for 190. The flop is 6c, 9d, 2d. The Bb checks and I bet 200. The CO folds and the BB calls. The turn is the 4d. The BB checks and I check it through. The river is the 3s. The BB now bets 60. I think he is probably holding a 5 and is afraid I might have the flush, but getting about 10:1 on my money I decide to call. He only needs to be bluffing or betting a lower pair 9% of the time to make the call profitable. To my surprise he flips over Kd, Jd for the turned flush.

I am pretty happy with my play on that hand he made an incorrect call on the flop and it only cost me 1/10 of the pot after the turn when I was behind.

Hand #8: On the next hand I get dealt Ac, Kd in MP1 (t1,130). I like getting a solid hand like this right after I just lost one because people tend to assume when I raise the very next hand that I am tilting a bit and they make some pretty loose calls. UTG (t960) limps, it's folded to me and I raise to 60, the CO (t1,580) calls, and it's folded back to UTG who calls. 3 to the flop for 210. The flop looks good for me Td, Kc, 2d. UTG checks, I bet 200, the CO raises to 440, UTG folds, I re-raise to 800, and the CO re-raises to put me all-in. I call. My stomch sinks when the CO flips over Ks, Ts. The turn gives me a little life with the Jd. An A, a J, or a diamond now win me the hand. The river is a lucky Ah and I win a pretty big pot.

Level 2: Blinds 15/30, t2,315 chips, 2nd place in chips, 7 players remaining

Hand #14: I get Ks, Jd in the CO (t2,315). It's folded to me and I raise to 90. The button calls and the blinds fold. Two to the flop for 225. The flop comes Kd, Ah, 8s. I bet 210 and the button calls. The turn is the Qh. I check and the button checks it through. The river is a harmless 7s. I think about betting at this a long time. I figure he has to ahve a weak A or a weak K. He might fold a weak A and if he calls and has a weak K all the better. In the end though I figure he was more likely to call a pre-flop raise with a weak A than a weak K. I check and he checks it through. He does turn over Ac, 5s and drags the pot.

Level 3: Blinds 25/50, t1,910 chips, 5th place in chips, 7 players remaining

Hand #31: I get dealt Qc, Jc UTG (t1,835). I open raise to 150 and UTg +1 (t2,475 the same player from the last hand) calls. Two to the flop for 375. The flop is of no help to me 8s, Ad, 5h. I would generally bet here as the flop have missed him just as easily, but he has already shown he will cold call a raise from me with a weak A. I check, he bets 150 and I fold.

Level 4: Blinds 50/100, t1,585 chips, 4th place in chips, 7 players remaining

Hand #44: I get dealt Ah, Kc UTG+1 (t1,885). I open raise to 300, MP1 (t2,425) calls, it's folded to the BB who pushes all-in for 985, I call and MP1 folds. The BB flips over Ac, Kd. Barring a 4 card flush we are going to split. The final board is 5s, Qd, 4d, 7h, 2h. At least we chop up MP1's 300.

Hand #50: I get deal 9h, 9c in MP1 (t1,910). I open raise to 300, MP2 (t1,535 this guy just doesn't respect my raises) calls and everyone else folds. Two tot he flop for 750. The flop comes 4c, 5s, 5d. I bet 500 and MP2 folds.

Level 5: Blinds 75/150, t2,210 chips, 4th place in chips, 6 players remaining

No real hands of interest this round. Picked up a few blinds here and there. We didn't lose anyone this round.

Level 6: Blinds 100/200, t2,585 chips, 2nd place in chips, 6 players remaining

Hand #96: I have Qh Jh in the Sb (t2,785). We are down to 4 players at this point. UTG (t1,795) open raises to 600, Button folds, I fold, the BB pushes all-in for 720, UTG calls. The flop comes 4s, Ks, Tc. The tunr is the Qd and now only a J on the river will save the BB. The river is the 7h and we are into the money rounds.

Level 7: Blinds 100/200, Antes 25, t2,460 chips, 3rd place in chips, 3 players remaining

Hand #104: The button has been getting pushed around by the SB in this hand quite a bit the last few cycles. The button would raise, the SB (big stack) would re-raise and the button would fold. In this hand I am the BB (t2,610) and I get dealt 6d, 6s. The button (t4,265) open raises to 600, the Sb folds and I decide to take a page out of the SBs book and I push all-in with my 6s. The button immediately calls and I am pretty certain I am screwed. However I am surprised to see him flip over 4c, 4h. I am over an 80% favorite to win this hand. The flop is no help to the button Ac, 3s, 8d. The tunr is 9c and now I can only lose if a 4 hits on the river. The river is the 9h and I jump up close to the chip lead. I over played my hand, but it worked out.

Hand #115: I resist the urg to raise my 92o on the button and I fold. The SB (t1,855) pushes all-in. The BB (t5,325) thinks for a long time and calls. The SB shows Ad, 8d and the BB shows As, Tc. It looks like I will be getting at least 2nd place. The flop comes 7c, Td, Jd. Now i am a bit concerned. Hwoever the turn is the 4h and the river is the 3c and we are heads up.

I am in better shape for this heads up match. My opponent is the big stack with 7,555, but I am not far behind with 5,945.

Hand #120: I am dealt 6h, 6s in the BB (t5,945). The SB (t7,555) raises to 400, I re-raise to 1,225, the Sb calls. Two to the flop for 2,450. The flop comes 7d, Qh, 8c. I push all-in with my remaining 4,720. I figure I am either wya ahead or way behind and I am betting that flop missed him. My opponent thinks for a very long time and calls. I am stunned when he flips over As, 4d. What an awful call. The turn is the 8d and the river is the Jd and I have a commanding chip lead now.

Hand #126: I am dealt Kd, 8d in the BB (t11,765). The Sb (t1,735) raises to 800. I re-raise to put him all-in. He quickly calls and flips over Qc, Ts and this could be it. The flop is disturbing for me 2h, Jc, Th. The turn is the 8c. I have 5 outs to the winning hand. The river is the 7c and my opponent doubles up.

Hand #134: I am dealt Qc, Js in the BB (t9,680). The SB (t3,470) just completes the SB, I raise 1000, the Sb raises to 2,625, He only has ~900 left so I go ahead and put him all-in. He flips over JJ and I am in trouble. The flop comes 2c, 5h, Jd. I am drawing nearly dead now. The tunr is the 9s which confirms my loss and we are now back to about even in chips.

Let's quickly look at the good and bad about this hand. My opponent seems to at leats be a competent player. In the entire time since we have been in the moeny he has not just completed the SB once. That should have been a bit of warning sign to me. Still I have to raise this when he only completes pre-flop. However after he re-raises I should seriously consider folding. The re-raise combined with the initial limp should have signaled a very string hand to me. Instead I thought he was getting cute and decided to push him all-in. Not particularly well played on my part.

Level 8: Blinds 200/400, Antes 25, t6,485 chips, 2nd place in chips, 2 players remaining

Hand #156: We trade blinds back and forth a couple of times. I lost a few chips on raises that he came back over the top of me. I get dealt Ac, 4d in the BB (t5,835). The SB (t7,665) raises to 800, I raise to 3000, He re-raises to put me all-in and I call. He flips over Qd, Td and I am in pretty good shape. The flop is very scary though 7d, 2s, 2d. After the flop he is actually a slight favorite to win the hand. The turn is the Js and puts me back in the lead. The river is a blank 5c and I once again have a huge chip lead.

Hand #164: I get deal Ah, 7s in the BB (t11,455). The SB (t2,055) raises to 800, I re-raise to put him all-in, he calls and flips over Jc, 6c. Again I am in pretty good shape here. And once again the flop brings bad news for me 8d, 2h, 6s. The turn is the 6d and I lose another all-in. I still ahve about a 3 to 1 chip advantage though.

Hand #167: I am dealt Ah, 3d in the SB (t10,040), I open raise to 1000, The SB (t3,460) pushes all-in and I call. He flips over Kc, 5h. I finally hit a flop 9s, 8h, Ad. The river pairs my opponents 5, 5d and he needs a 5 or a K on the river. The river is the Qs and I have my first tournament win of the challenge!

Tournament Result: 1st Place

I am made a few questionable plays in the end stages of this tournament. Every once in awhile I let my aggression get the best of me. Especially once i am int he money which is why I tend to end up with a lot of 3rd place finishes. I will take the win though.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:17 PM   #19
primelord
Pro Rookie

Tournament 9

Well the first level gave me no playable hands. This table is playing very loose and very passive so far. It's the type of table I do well at in general.

Level 2: Blinds 15/30, t1,470 chips, 5th place in chips, 9 players remaining

Another entire level goes by and I still have not seen a single flop outside of the BB. And each one of those I had to fold on the flop. Patience is the key. We also still have all 9 players remaining. Until now none of the tournaments had all 9 remaining by round 2.

Level 3: Blinds 25/50, t1,395 chips, 5th place in chips, 9 players remaining

Hand #28: I get dealt 6d, 2s in the BB (t1,295). We have lost 3 people now, but I am still not getting shit for cards. It's folded to the Sb (t1,755) who completes, and I check. Two to the flop for 100. The flop comes Ks, Td, 6h. The Sb checks and I bet 100, he check raises me to 200 and I call. The turn is the 8h. The Sb checks and I check it through. The river is the Qs. The Sb bets 150 and I fold. The Sb shows me his Ah, Ad. Bully for him.

Level 4: Blinds 50/100, t1,020 chips, 4th place in chips, 6 players remaining

Hand #38: Woot! A playable hand!!!! I get dealt Ad, Js UTG+1 (t1,020). I open raise to 300, the SB (t7,570) re-raise to 1000, I push in my last 720 chips and he flips over Ah Jh. My first playable hand and we are going to split the stupid pot. The flop comes Kh, 2s, Ac. Unless he ctahces a running flush the split is a lock. The turn is the 7s and we split.

Hand #43: Woot another playable hand!!! The blinds are starting to eat away at me although we have lost another player now. I get dealt As, Kd in the CO (t920). I open raise to 300, the BB re-raises all-in to 625 and I call. He flips over 6h, 6d and it's a race. The flop is very little help to me Th, Js, 7s. The turn is the 7h and I am looking to be on my last legs. The river is a miracle Ad and I suddenly have a little life.

So far to this point I have had almost no hands to play, but I have scraped by now we are on the bubble and I only have 1,595 chips, but there is a guy who is down to 425. I may slip into the money yet.

Hand #54: After a few times around the table I get Qc, 6C on the button (t1,395). UTG folds, I think for a bit and fold, the SB pushes al in (475) and the BB (t8,020) calls. The Sb flips over Kc, 6h and the BB shows Ah, 5c. The flop comes Ks, Tc, Qs and it looks like this may drag on a bit longer. The turn however settles it as it comes Jh. The river is the Kh and we are down to 3 and I am in the money again. 4 out 5 so far this session.

Level 5: Blinds 75/150, t1,495 chips, 3rd place in chips, 3 players remaining

Hand #63: I am dealt Kc, 4s on the button (t1,420). I open raise to 450, teh Sb (t7,945) calls, the BB pushes all in 4,060, we both fold.

Hand #65: I am dealt Ks, 2h in the Sb (t1,045). The button folds and I push all-in, the BB (t7,570) calls. He turns over 5d, 5c. The flop comes 9h, 8s, Kc. The turn is the 3h and the river is the Kh and I double up.

In case anyone is curious about my pre-flop push. The BB is the big stack at the table and has been playing pretty loosely with it pre-flop and then pushing my other opponent out after the flop. Unfortunately I ran into a better hand here, but I knew he was likely to call with somethign worse than K2.

Hand #67: I get 2h, 2s in the BB (t2,090). The button (t6,450) limps in, the Sb folds and I push all-in. The button calls and shows Td, 8d. So it is a race and I am a slight favorite. The flop comes 6c, 6d, Qd and my opponent is now the favorite to win the hand. The turn is the 3c and I have hope again. However that hope is dashed as the river is the 7d. Another 3rd place finish.

Tourney Result: 3rd Place

This was a rough tournament, but it shows why it is important to be patient in the early part of a tournament. Several of my friends are pretty solid on poker and tournament theory, but get very easily bored if they don;t see any hands early on and start playing far too loose. They have pretty poor success overall because of it. If you are patient the really poor players generally weed themselves out in the early stages and you will likely catch a hand or two later in the game with a decent chance to double up and slip into the money.

I will concede that playing 5 tournamnts at once helps with the bordem problem.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:35 PM   #20
primelord
Pro Rookie

Tournament 10

Hand #8: We have already lost one player when I get dealt Ah, Qc in the CO (t1,470). It's folded to me and I open raise 60, the button cold calls, and both blinds fold. Two to the flop for 150. I bet 140 on the flop and the button folds.

Level 2: Blinds 15/30, t1,560 chips, 5th place in chips, 7 players remaining

Hand #24: I get dealt Ah, 7s in the SB. We are cruising along. We are down to 5 players and we aren't even at level 3 yet. UTG (t2,675) limps, it's folded to me and I complete and the BB (t2,802) checks. Three to the flop for 90. The flop comes Ac, 3c, 5c. I bet 120, the BB folds, but UTG raises me to 240, I call. The turn is the 9d. I check and UTG bets 1,130. I fold.

Level 3: Blinds 25/50, t1,305 chips, 5th place in chips, 5 players remaining

Hand #39: I am dealt Ac, 9c in the Sb (t1,255). UTg (t2,795) limps, CO folds, Button limps, I complete, the BB checks. Four to the flop for 200. The flop comes 8d, Jc, Kc. I bet 200, the BB folds, UTG calls, the button folds. The turn is the 5d. I check and UTG checks it through. The river is the Jd, I check and again UTG checks it through. UTG shows Ad, Tc and I lose out to the kicker.

I really should have raised this pre-flop.

Level 4: Blinds 50/100, t1,105, 5th place in chips, 5 players remaining

Everyone is playing tight. The table conditions are good to be stealing a lot of blinds, but I have been in a huge dead card period.

Hand #62: The blinds are starting to eat me away when I finally get Qd, Qc UTG (t955). I open raise to 300, it's folded to the BB (t5,273) who calls. The flop comes 8h, 7s, 3d. The BB quickly bets 700 to put me all-in and I quickly call. He flips over 8c, 3c. Oh my. The turn and river were no help to me and I was out of the tourney in 5th. No 5 for 5 for me.

Tournament Result: 5th Place

Overal I am pretty happy with my play in this one. When we were down to 5 before level 3 I thought this would be an easy money finish. The people in this tournament were all pretty bad. However I was card dead when everyone was giving it away. What can ya do.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:40 PM   #21
primelord
Pro Rookie

Overall Results

# of Tournaments: 10
Total Entry Fees: $220
Amount Won: $324
Net: $104
ROI%: 47.27%
In the Money %: 70%
Avg Finish: 3.5
1st: 1
2nd: 1
3rd: 5

Wel finishing in the money 4 out of 5 certainly helped my overal numbers. There is no way I will keep a 70% in the money rate up though. Hoefully i can compensate for it and get a few more 1st and 2nd place finishes when I do get there.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:18 AM   #22
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
Hand #115: I resist the urg to raise my 92o on the button and I fold.

Hehe.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:50 AM   #23
Barkeep49
Coordinator

The more hands I've seen you report the more in favor of the consistent 3x raise (I had been doing inconsistent raises) I become. One question if you have a strong hand and someone else raises do you generally reraise, and if so how much, or simply call?
Old 05-10-2005, 10:51 AM   #24
Mountain
Mascot

Really enjoying your dyansty. Keep it up. I play a lot of 20/2 sit n gos at party poker. You can get a program called pokerprophecy which tracks everyones results at single table sit n gos at party. The program states anyone who has above a 40% in the money rate is a pro. Program helps with table selection. I'm happy to say that with 225 sit n gos played I'm at 46% (shameless plug). I play limit tables.

Agree with your consistent raise on the pre flop. I have played a number of pot and nl tables and don't like my opponents to get a read on the exact strength of my hand. If anything I would pre flop raise more with JJ or QQ to get people out than the converse.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 11:03 AM   #25
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49
The more hands I've seen you report the more in favor of the consistent 3x raise (I had been doing inconsistent raises) I become. One question if you have a strong hand and someone else raises do you generally reraise, and if so how much, or simply call?

It really depends on the strength of the hand and what I think of that player. In most cases if I am going to re-raise I will double whatever my opponents raise was. So if he raises to 120 I will make it 240. I very rarely just call a raise. If it's a small raise and several other people have called and I have a hand like a small pocket pair or something I may call hoping to flop a set. Your implied odds are great in that situation. Most of the time though if I am facing a raise I will either re-raise or fold.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:14 PM   #26
MJ4H
Coordinator

I'm reading along. I like how you have arranged the write-ups. Very easy to follow and very informative.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 12:42 PM   #27
Celeval
Pro Starter

I enjoy the writeups as well. Placed second in my first sit-n-go played in a while, at least partly due to what I've picked up reading these.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 12:52 PM   #28
Radii
Head Coach

i'm following along, looking forward to seeing how you do.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 01:20 PM   #29
QuikSand
lolzcat

I admire your perseverance to keep writing the reports -- I have been playing a lot of sit-and-gos lately, and the only records I keep outside of PokerTracker are my final position. I have a booklet of graph paper which now has about two pages filled with lines that read like:

50+5: 2 3 7 1 8 4 4 3 1 2 6 4

As long as I can remember what the payout structure is, that's really all I need.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 01:25 PM   #30
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain
The program states anyone who has above a 40% in the money rate is a pro.

That sounds like a stretch to me. They pay three spots out of ten, so dumb luck gets you 30%. Especially if you're playing at the lower levels, there are bound to be plenty of poor players to push you up a bit from there just by having some common sense. 40% doesn't seem that tough a standard.

Your 46% sounds good to me... I think I am in that range as well with Party single tablers as well. (Have to check my grid pad)
Old 05-10-2005, 02:34 PM   #31
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
That sounds like a stretch to me. They pay three spots out of ten, so dumb luck gets you 30%. Especially if you're playing at the lower levels, there are bound to be plenty of poor players to push you up a bit from there just by having some common sense. 40% doesn't seem that tough a standard.

Your 46% sounds good to me... I think I am in that range as well with Party single tablers as well. (Have to check my grid pad)

I also think the int the money rate can be a bit misleading as to how successful you are. You can maintain a 60% in the money percentage, but if they are all 3rd place finishes you will actually lose money. I think ROI% is a better judge of how you are actually performing.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:02 PM   #32
QuikSand
lolzcat

I certainly agree that ROI is a better judge. Do you have a sense of your long-run ROI, primelord? Can you maintain anything around +50%?

I haven't been able to get that high, but I have been +40% or so over my last 150 STTs... still too short to be firm about it, but the number is settling down prety well.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:30 PM   #33
primelord
Pro Rookie

Tournament 11

Level 1, Blinds 10/20, t1,500 chips

Nothing playable in the first level. I did complete the Sb once with an offsuit A, but had to fold the flop. We did lose a person in this level though.

Level 2: Blinds 15/30, t1,460 chips, 5th place in chips, 8 players left

Hand #14: I get dealt As, Ac in the BB (1,430). UTG (2,825) limps, UTG+1 pushes all-in for 235, folded to the SB (2,100) who calls, I raise to 720, UTG folds and the Sb folds. An unfortunate hand for UTG+1. He flips over Kh, Ks. The flop comes 2c, Th, Ah and I have it more or less wrapped up. The turn is the 6c and the river is the 6d. We are down to 7.

Level 3: Blinds 25/50, t1,885 chips, 3rd place in chips, 7 players left

Play has become much more aggressive in this level. I didn't really have any hands to play other than a couple of blind steals. Despite the additional aggression the chiups have kind of moved back and forth between the same players and we are still at 7.

Level 4: 50/100, t1,910 chips, 3rd place in chips, 7 players left

Hand #47: I get dealt Ac, Ad in the BB (1,760). It's folded to the SB (3,815) who raises to 200, I re-raise to 400, he pushes all-in and I quickly call. He flips over Jh, Jc and I am golden. The flop is all good news 5c, 9c, 3h. The turn is the 3d and the river is the 4s and I double up.

Level 5: Blinds 75/150, t3,570 chips, 1st place in chips, 5 players left

Hand #56: I have 5d, 5h UTG (3,570). I open raise to 450, folded to the BB who calls. Two tot he flop for 975. The flop comes 9d, 3h, 4c. The SB pushes all-in for 1,655. This seems like a really odd bet to me. I guess maybe he hit a set, but this seems more like he is trying to push me off with just over cards. Never the less I don;t want to risk half my chips and fold.

Level 6: Blinds 100/200, t2,445 chips, 4th place in chips, 5 players left

Hand #71: The blinds have eatne away at me a bit. I get 5h, 5d again UTG (2,445). I raise to 600, it's folded to the SB who calls (all-in) for 585. He flips over Jh, Jc and I need a miracle. The flop comes out 8d, 4h, Qc. No help there. The turn is the Qd and the river is the Js and I drop another chunk of chips.

Hand #75: I get As, 3h in the CO (1,560). It is folded to me and in a move that I am not proud of I push all-in for 1,560. The button (3,655) calls and everyone else folds. The button flips over Th, Td and I need to catch an A. The flop is pretty bad for me Kh, Js, Qh. It has cut my outs down from 3 to 2. I need a T to stay alive now. The turn is the 8s. The river is the 5h and I am rightfully sent on my way.

Tournament Result: 5th place

It is important to be aggressive as you get near the money. Players really tend to tighten up too much when there are 4 or 5 people left and you can steal a lot of blinds. However my last push was just foolish. I could have stole the blinds with my standard 3x raise and if someone came over the top of me I could have pretty easily folded and lived to fight another hand. The onyl hands that are likely to call that bet are ones that are ahead of me. Not my finest play.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:39 PM   #34
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
I certainly agree that ROI is a better judge. Do you have a sense of your long-run ROI, primelord? Can you maintain anything around +50%?

I haven't been able to get that high, but I have been +40% or so over my last 150 STTs... still too short to be firm about it, but the number is settling down prety well.
Unfortunately I don't have much of a sense of what my long term rate is. Until recently I only played SnGs here and there as a change of pace and rarely ever bothered to import them into Poker Tracker. I am keeping a seperate databse for this particular challenge, but in my otehr database prior to this challenge in 30 $20+2 SnGs at Stars I have an ROI% of 58.42%. That is obviously far too small of a sample size to make any educated guess as to what my true rate is. I suspect it is a good deal lower than that though.

Last edited by primelord : 05-10-2005 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:56 PM   #35
primelord
Pro Rookie

Tournament 12

Hand #1: I get Qh, Th in MP2 (1,500). It's folded to MP1 (1,500) who open raises to 40, I re-raise to 80, folded back to MP1 who re-raises to 120, I call. Two to the flop for 270. The flop comes Ad, 5s, Qs. MP1 checks, I bet 200, MP1 calls. The turn is the Td. MP1 checks, I bet 300, MP1 calls. The river is the Ah. MP1 pushes all-in. I fold. What a crappy first hand.

Hand #6: I am dealt Jd, 8d in the BB (880). UTG limps, UTG+2 limps, foded to the Sb who completes, and I check. 4 to the flop for 80. The flop comes 2s, Ad, 4d. Sb checks, I check, UTG bets 40, folded to me and I call. The turn is the 9d. I check, UTG bets 40, I raise to 120, UTG calls. The river is the Qs. I bet 300 and UTG folds.

Hand #8: I get dealt Qd, Ts on the button (1,090). MP2 open limps, the CO calls, I call, both blinds call. 5 to the flop for 100. The flop comes 8d, Jh, Ah giving me the double gut shot. Checked to MP2 who bets 100, CO folds, I call, the blinds fold. The turn is the 6s. MP2 checks and I check it through. The river is of no help to me 3d. MP2 bets 100 and I fold.

That was a pretty poor flop call on my part. It didn;t turn out too badly because I got a free card on the turn, but there was really no reason to believe that would happen. My heart outs to my double gutter may not be clean. I should have just folded on the flop.

Level 2: Blinds 15/30, t970, 9th place in chips, 9 players left

Hand #12: First hand of the second level I am dealt Js, Jh in UTG+2 (970). UTG limps, UTG+1 limps, I raise to 120, folded to the button (2,110) who raises to 300, folded back to me and I push all-in. The button calls. He flips over As, Ac and I am probably screwed. The flop comes Kc, 5c, 5d. I can still win with a J. The turn is the Ad and I am done. The river is a useless 5s and I am the first one out.

Tournament Result: 9th place

Well that one sucked. I don't hate my push pre-flop on the last hand, but looking back at it I don't love it either. He is likely to raise to 300 with several hands I beat, but I generally don't like pushing hands that hard this early in the tournament. I was figuring he likely would have made that raise with AA-TT, AK-AJs, AKo. The problem is since I was firts to act even if I call his pre-flop raise I only have about 600 left and I don;t know that I could lay it down on that flop. Oh well.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:36 PM   #36
primelord
Pro Rookie

Tournament 13

Hand #1: I am dealt Ad, Qs in the BB. UTG limps, it is folded to the Co who calls, the button calls, the Sb calls, and I have my first mis-click of the challenge and I just check. I had meant to raise there. Five players to the flop for 100. The flop comes 2c, Td, Js. I have two over cards and the gut shot straight draw. The SB checks and I bet 100, folded to the button who raises to 200, the Sb folds and I call. The turn is the 4s. I check and teh button bets 200, I fold.

Hand #2: I am dealt Qh, Th in the SB (1,280). UTG+1 limps, MP1 limps, MP2 limps, the CO limps, the button folds, I complete and the BB checks. Six players to the flop for 120. The flop comes Ts, 8h, 4c. I bet 100, UTG+1 (1,480) calls, everyone else folds. The turn is the 3h. I bet 300 and MP1 folds.

Hand #3: Three playable hands right out of the gate. I am dealt Ad, Ah on the button (1.480). UTG (1,380) limps, it's folded to me and I raise tp 60, the Sb folds, the BB (1,500) calls and UTG calls. Three to the flop for 190. The flop is 9h, Qh, 9s. Checked to me and I bet 200, the BB check raises me to 500, UTG folds. I think for a long time. I don't think this guy has a 9 although it is way too early for me to have a read on him. I figure he is bluffing a 9 or maybe has something liek AQ, KQ. I push all-in and he immediately calls. He turns over Ac, Qs. Only another Q can save him. The turn is the 2h and the river completes my flush Th. I take down a large pot.

Level 2: Blinds 15/30, t3,000 chips, 2nd place in chips, 7 players left

It seems I used up all of my plyable hands on the first 3 hands. I actually got dealt a pair 4s on the fourth hand, but it was raised in front of me and I let it go. I didn't see much through the 2nd level. This tournament is moving fairly quickly though. We are down to 6 players after 2 levels.

Level 3: Blinds 25/50, t2,880 chips, 2ns place in chips, 6 players left

Another round goes by with no real playable hands. We are still at 6 players and everyone is still in contention. The small stack has ~1,500 chips and the big stack ~3,000.

Level 4: Blinds 50/100, t2,705 chips, 3rd place in chips, 6 players left

Hand #46: I am dealt Ac, Jc in the BB (2,555). UTG (3,630) raises to 400, it's folded to me and I call. Two to the flop for 850. The flop comes Qh, 6c, Kh. I check and UTG bets 300. I fold.

Hand #50: I get As, Js in MP1 (2,105). I open raise to 300, the CO (4,280) calls, everyone else folds. Two tot he flop for 750. The flop comes 8s, 6s, 9s. I bet 200, UTG raises to 1000, I call. The turn is the Ts. I check, UTG bets 900 to put me all-in. I call. He flips over Ah, Th and he is drawing dead. The river is the 3h and I double up.

Level 5: Blinds 75/150, t4,210 chips, 1st place in chips, 6 players left

Hand #69: Just for the sake of posting a hand in this level. I get dealt Qh, Qs in the SB (3,760). We are down to 5 players. CO open limps, the button folds, I raise to 600, the BB folds and the Co folds.

Level 6: Blinds 100/200, t4,210 chips, 1st place in chips, 5 players left

Hand #81: I am dealt 5s, 2h in the BB (4,110). We are down to 4 players. UTG (4,960) open limps, CO folds, SB pushes all-in for 1,440, I fold, and UTG calls. UTG shows 3c, 3s and the SB Ks, Js. The flop comes 5c, 4c, 4h. The turn is the 6h and the river is the 2s completeing the straight for UTG. And we are in the money.

Hand #91: I am dealt Ad, Ks on the button (3,010). I raise to 600, the SB (8,500) re-raises to 2,400, I push all-in and he calls. Unfortunately he flips over Kc, Kh and I only have 3 outs. The flop brings no help 6h, Jh, 5c. The turn is the 6c and the river is the 7c. I bow out again in 3rd.

Tournament Result: 3rd Place

Can't complain about this one too much. Teh SB was the big stack at the table and was using that to push us around a bit. I think he was capable of making that last play with les than KK. Unfortunately I just ran into a better hand.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:13 AM   #37
MJ4H
Coordinator

The results speak for themselves, of course, but this one, Tournament 12, was I thought the first time I've thought you played poorly**.

Quote:
Tournament 12

Hand #1: I get Qh, Th in MP2 (1,500). It's folded to MP1 (1,500) who open raises to 40, I re-raise to 80, folded back to MP1 who re-raises to 120, I call. Two to the flop for 270. The flop comes Ad, 5s, Qs. MP1 checks, I bet 200, MP1 calls. The turn is the Td. MP1 checks, I bet 300, MP1 calls. The river is the Ah. MP1 pushes all-in. I fold. What a crappy first hand.

I think I fold this pre-flop early in the tournament. Probably an ok limp since it is suited.

Quote:
Hand #8: I get dealt Qd, Ts on the button (1,090). MP2 open limps, the CO calls, I call, both blinds call. 5 to the flop for 100. The flop comes 8d, Jh, Ah giving me the double gut shot. Checked to MP2 who bets 100, CO folds, I call, the blinds fold. The turn is the 6s. MP2 checks and I check it through. The river is of no help to me 3d. MP2 bets 100 and I fold.

That was a pretty poor flop call on my part. It didn;t turn out too badly because I got a free card on the turn, but there was really no reason to believe that would happen. My heart outs to my double gutter may not be clean. I should have just folded on the flop.

Yes. Probably a fold preflop, too, though again marginal on the button. Too large a part of your stack to call for a draw on the flop, I think. No idea if he'd call a push here. Probably, though.

Quote:
Level 2: Blinds 15/30, t970, 9th place in chips, 9 players left

Hand #12: First hand of the second level I am dealt Js, Jh in UTG+2 (970). UTG limps, UTG+1 limps, I raise to 120, folded to the button (2,110) who raises to 300, folded back to me and I push all-in. The button calls. He flips over As, Ac and I am probably screwed. The flop comes Kc, 5c, 5d. I can still win with a J. The turn is the Ad and I am done. The river is a useless 5s and I am the first one out.

Tough one here, too. I actually am going to retract what I said earlier and say you didn't play as poorly as I thought. You just got on the wrong end of every marginal decision thrown at you. I hate those tournaments.

**I no longer think this.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:34 AM   #38
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman
I actually am going to retract what I said earlier and say you didn't play as poorly as I thought. You just got on the wrong end of every marginal decision thrown at you. I hate those tournaments.

FWIW I think I played pretty poorly in that one too. On the first hand I think the pre-flop play is ok. I probably could have laid it down, but it is close. I think the flop bet was ok too, but once he called the flop I should have probably been done with the hand right there. I wasted 300 chips on the turn bet.

On the 2nd hand you are right again that pre-flop call is marginal. I think it is slightly +EV in general, but only if you play it well after the flop. In this case I didn't by calling that flop bet so I should have just folded it pre-flop in the first place.

I was thinking about the last one some more and the way it played out I am not sure I could have done much different. If I just call his raise pre-flop I am left with 600+ chips and the pot is a little over 600. I am likely going to have to put my money in on the flop anyway and there is a decent chance I am ahead pre-flop so might as well get it in then.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:37 AM   #39
primelord
Pro Rookie

Tournament 14

Hand #2: I get dealt Qh, Jh in the SB (1,480). UTG (1,500) limps, it is folded around to me and I raise to 60, the BB folds, and the UTG calls. Two to the flop for 140. The flop comes 8c, Jd, 9c. I bet 140, and UTG calls. The turn is the 9s. I bet 220 and again UTG calls. The river is the Ad. I check and my opponent checks it through. He has 7c, 3c for the busted flush draw and my hand is good. It's easy to say now, but I should have fired again on the river.

Hand #8: I get dealt 9h, 9c UTG (1,900). I open raise to 80, folded to the button (2,060) who cold calls, and the blinds fold. Heads up to the flop for 190. The flop comes 6c, Kh, 3d. I bet 180, the button calls. The turn is the Td. I bet 20 (this was my second mis-click of the challenge ) not shockingly getting almost 30:1 my opponent calls. The river is the 4h. I check and my opponent checks it through. He has As, 6d and my hand is good.

The turn mis-click really screwed this hand up for me. I would have made another decent sized bet on the turn and then based on what my opponent did from there decide how I want to go at the river. The problem is my opponent doesn't know my turn bet was a mistake so he has to be thinking I have almost nothing at this point. Which means when the blank 4h falls on the river if I suddenly bet big again there is no way he lays down a weak K or even a T. So I was kind of forced to check and luckily he didn't come back at me with a big bet or I would have had a very tough decision to make.

Level 2: Blinds 15/20, t2,180 chips, 1st place in chips, 9 players left

I had no playable hands in this level. It was so bad that I was dealt T7o on 3 consecutive hands at one point. We did lose one player though.

Level 3: Blinds 25/50, t2,135 chips, 3rd place in chips, 8 players left

Hand #29: In the first 3 hands of the 3rd level we went from 8 players down to 5. I am dealt 9d, 5d in the BB (2,085). The CO (2,370) open limps, it's folded to me and I check. Two the flop for 125. The flop comes 4d, As, 2h. I check and the CO checks. The turn completes my straight 3h. I bet 150 and the CO calls. The river is the 2c. I bet 500 and again the CO calls. When he calls that 500 bet I am expecting to split the pot or be shown an Ax 2 pair or trip 2s. My opponent has 7h, 4h. He called 500 on the end with only a pair of 4s. Wow.

Level 4: Blinds 50/100, t2,710 chips, 2nd place in chips, 5 players left

The ironic thing is the guy who made that terrible call on the end against me has hit a hot run of cards and is now up to over 4,000 chips entering the 4th level. On the first hand of the 4th level he calls a raise with Kc, 3c. Catches 2 pair on the flop and ends up beating a guy with QQ and has just shy of 6,000 chips.

I have become fascinated with this guy now. We go a few times around the table and he pisses away about 1,000 chips when he gets dealt Kd, 5d UTG. He limps and is raised to 200 by the same guy that had the Qs. He calls and the flop comes 7h, Tc, Ah. The flop is checked through. The turn is the Kc. The river is the Ks. He bets 1,000 and his opponent who has 1400 left pushes all-in. He calls and his opponent shows Kh, Jc and takes it down. So our "hero" is down to 3,135 chips.

Two hands later the same two end up in a hand together. The "hero" calls a 2,100 pre-flop bet from his opponent with Js, 9s. The flop comes 3h, Td, 8c. He pushes all-in with his last 835 and the other guy calls. His opponent shows Jc, Jh. The turn is the Ts and the river is the 7h and our "hero is now back to 6,000+ chips. Wow.

Level 5: Blinds 75/150, t2,510 chips, 3rd place in chips, 5 players left

Hand #69: I am dealt Kh, 3c in the BB (2,510). It's folded to the SB (1,420) who completes and I check. Heads up to the flop for 300. The flop comes Js, 8s, Kd. The SB bets 300, I re-raise to put him all-in. He quickly calls and flips over Ks, 8h. That's unfortunate. I need running Js, Qs, or As to split the hand. The turn was a 4d and the river makes his boat 8d. I lose over half of my stack.

I can't decide what I think of this play. My opponent was getting short stacked so it is entirely possible he makes that flop bet with a worse hand than mine. Especially heads up. And if I just call his flop bet then the pot is large so he will almost certainly push then. I think the only play on the flop was to push or fold.

Hand #76: I get deal As, 2h on the button (1,015). It's folded to me and push all-in to try and take the blinds. The SB (2,795) calls, and the BB folds. The SB shows 4s, 4d. I need an A. The flop brings more than that Ah, Th, 2c. Only a 4 or a running 3 5 can beat me. The turn is the 8s and the river is the 7c. I double up.

Level 6: Blinds 100/200, t2,180 chips, 4th place in chips, 5 players left

Hand #77: On the next hand I get dealt 7s, 7h in the CO (2,180). I open raise to 600, the button (who I just beat) pushes all-in for 1,855 it's folded to me. I think about this a long time and call. I am thinking it is probably a coin flip, but he might be pissed because of the last hand and I might be in even better shape. It does turn out to be a race as the button flips over As, Qd. The flop is all good news Kd, 6s, 3h. The turn is a lsightly scary Ts, but the river is the 5d and just like that the guy that was in 2nd place in chips is out of the tournament in 2 hands.

Hand #81: I am dealt Jh, Td on the button (4,635). UTG (3,315) limps, I fold, the SB (4,820) completes, the BB (730) pushes all-in, both players call. Three to the flop for 2,190. The flop comes 4c, 8d, 5c. UTG and the Sb both check. The turn is the 7h. Again both players check. The river is the Qc. Once gaain both players check. This was an odd hand. UTG shows As, 6c for the tunred straight, the SB (our hero from before) shows Qs, $s for the rivered two pair, and the all-in BB shows 2s, 2h. I have no idea why neither UTG nor the Sb bet their hands. Oh well we are in the money.

Hand #86: I am dealt 5s, 5d in the SB (5,235). The button (4,175) limps, I raise to 1,000 to try and take it down right there. The BB (4,090 and my favorite player) re-raises me to 2,600, the button folds. Not the BB has been very aggressive since we got to 3 handed. Not to mention he has played wild most of the game. I think I am good here. I re-raise all-in and he calls. He flips over Ad, 3s and I am in good shape. The flop comes Tc, 7c, 3h. The turn is the 6s and the river is the 4s. We are down to 2 players.

Going into the the heads up part I have a little over a 2 to 1 chip advantage.

Hand #90: I am dealt 5d, 5c in the BB (9,425). The SB (4,075) completes, I raise to 800, the SB calls. We see the flop for 1,600. The flop comes 7s, Qc, Jh. I bet 1000 and the SB folds.

Hand #94: I am dealt Jd, 4d in the BB (10,125). The SB (3,375) completes and I check. We see the flop for 400. The flop comes Ah, Ac, Js. I bet 600 and the SB raises me to 1200. I am nearly 100% certain he doesn't have an A. I think if he had an A he would have either smooth called my bet or pushed all-in. So the question is does he have a J. If he does he likely has a better J than mine. I decide to just call the bet. The turn is teh 8h which should be a safe card. He only has about 2,000 chips left so I decide to push all-in. My opponent calls and flips over 2h, 2d. What a bizarre call. The river is the 6d and I take first place.

Tournament Result: 1st Place

On the last hand I was certain he didn;t have an A. So I decided to push theutrn for a couple of reasons. It might look to him like I had an A and if he didn't have a better J he might lay it down. Even is he did call with a better jack I had possibly as many as 12 outs on the river to split with him. I am curious if anyone else doesn't like that play.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:58 AM   #40
primelord
Pro Rookie

Tournament 15

Level 1: Blind 10/20, t1,500 chips

I had a couple of small pocket pairs that I was able to limp in with in late position int he first level, but none of them made a set and I got pushed out on the flop. On the second to last hand of the level though we did end up with 3 people all-in pre-flop. AA vs 99 vs KQs. The guy with AA had everyone covered, but the 99 guy spiked a 9 on the river and KQs guy was out.

Level 2: Blinds 15/30, t1,450 chips, 5th place in chips, 8 players left

I am just card dead again in the 2nd level. I raised KQo from early position once and again got pushed out when I missed the flop. That was it again. We still have all 8 players in and no one is 1300 in chips. This could be a long tournament.

Level 3: Blinds 25/50, t1,390 chips, 5th place in chips, 8 players left

Hand #28: I am dealt Ac, Qs in the BB (1,390). UTG limps, it's folded to the CO who limps, folded to me and I raise to 300, UTG calls and the CO folds. Heads up to the flop for 675. The flop comes Jc, Jd, 5h. I bet 500 and UTG folds.

Hand #33: I am dealt Ah, Ks in MP1 (1,740). UTG+1 open limps, I raise to 200, it's folded to the SB who calls, the BB folds, and UTG+1 calls. Three to the flop for 650. The flop comes 9h, 5d, 8d. The Sb checks, UTG+1 checks, I bet 500, the SB check-raises me all-in for 1840, UTG+1 folds. I don't have much of a read on this guy, but I haven't seen him get out of line. I fold.

Level 4: Blinds 50/100, t965, 8th place in chips, 8 players remaining

We are into the 4th level with 8 players still left and I am the short stack. I don't like this at all. Other than myself there is still no one with less than 1300 chips.

Hand #43: I am dealt Ts, Th UTG (1,115). I open raise to 300, it's folded to the BB (922) who pushes all-in. I call. The BB shows Qc, Qs and I am screwed. The flop comes Jh, 8d, 8s. The turn is the 6d and the river is the 9d. I am down to 193 chips going into the blinds. Wonderful.

Hand #46: I am dealt crap in both blinds and I decide to fold to raises. I get dealt Ac, Jd on the button. Here is my chance to push in my last 43. MP1 (4,218) open limps, it's folded to me and I put in my 43. The BB checks. The flop comes 7d, 7s, Kh. It's checked through and I have hope that my A high will stand up. The turn is the 9d. The Bb bets 300 and I am probably screwed. MP1 folds and the BB shows Kd Qh. I need an A. The river is the 8h and I am out.

Tournament Result: 8th place

I don't think I really played that poorly. I was just card dead most of the tournament. Running intot he QQ with TT when I was short stacked was just unfortunate timing.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:01 PM   #41
primelord
Pro Rookie

Overall Results

# of Tournaments: 15
Total Entry Fees: $330
Amount Won: $450
Net: $120
ROI%: 36.36%
In the Money %: 60%
Avg Finish: 4.07
1st: 2
2nd: 1
3rd: 6

I didn;t have as many in the money finishes as I did the first two sessions, but the 1st and 3rd was enough to show a small profit for the 5 tournaments. So I guess I can't complain too much.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:47 PM   #42
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Quote:
Hand #2: I get dealt Qh, Jh in the SB (1,480). UTG (1,500) limps, it is folded around to me and I raise to 60, the BB folds, and the UTG calls. Two to the flop for 140. The flop comes 8c, Jd, 9c. I bet 140, and UTG calls. The turn is the 9s. I bet 220 and again UTG calls. The river is the Ad. I check and my opponent checks it through. He has 7c, 3c for the busted flush draw and my hand is good. It's easy to say now, but I should have fired again on the river.

I check this as well. It seems like you would only be called here by a hand that has you beat. Especially with this river card a lot of busted draws will bluff at this pot and you can call and snap them off.
Quote:
Hand #81: I am dealt Jh, Td on the button (4,635). UTG (3,315) limps, I fold, the SB (4,820) completes, the BB (730) pushes all-in, both players call. Three to the flop for 2,190. The flop comes 4c, 8d, 5c. UTG and the Sb both check. The turn is the 7h. Again both players check. The river is the Qc. Once gaain both players check. This was an odd hand. UTG shows As, 6c for the tunred straight, the SB (our hero from before) shows Qs, $s for the rivered two pair, and the all-in BB shows 2s, 2h. I have no idea why neither UTG nor the Sb bet their hands. Oh well we are in the money.

Isn't it pretty standard to check it down on the bubble? Doesn't seem like a lot of good can come out of betting into a dry side pot here.

Quote:
On the last hand I was certain he didn;t have an A. So I decided to push theutrn for a couple of reasons. It might look to him like I had an A and if he didn't have a better J he might lay it down. Even is he did call with a better jack I had possibly as many as 12 outs on the river to split with him. I am curious if anyone else doesn't like that play.

I like the play but I wouldn't mind waiting for the river as well to make a play like this. In this case it probably wouldn't matter because you two were probably going to get the money in no matter what.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 01:24 PM   #43
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieflatline
Isn't it pretty standard to check it down on the bubble? Doesn't seem like a lot of good can come out of betting into a dry side pot here.

If i was the guy who turned the straight there is no way I would have checked that down. The other live opponent had already shown that he was willing to call with almost anything. If they had been heads up in this hand there is almost no way they would have checked that down. I guess I can understand them being concerned that the all-in may have caught the flush and if they go all-in and lose they go out 4th. I think that is playing a bit too safe for the guy with the straight though.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:52 PM   #44
Desnudo
Coordinator

Chiming in that I'm enjoying this dynasty too. I hardly play, but you write in a style that makes it easy to understand and follow.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 07:02 PM   #45
primelord
Pro Rookie

Just as an FYI. I should be posting another update tonight. I had been under the impression that you could only play 5 tournaments at a time on Stars. It turns out you can play possibly an unlimited number at a time. So I experimented a bit with 8 at a time tonight. I had mixed results.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:52 PM   #46
primelord
Pro Rookie

Tournament 16

Level 1: Blinds 10/20, 1,500 chips

Nothing much to play in level 1. I limped in late with a suited ace, but had to fold on the flop. We didn't lose anyone in the first round.

Level 2: Blinds 15/30, 1,430 chips, 7th place in chips, 9 players left

Hand #25: I am dealt 4h, 4c UTG (1,385). I fold, UTG+1 open raises to 150, MP1 folds, CO re-raises to 350, folded back to UTG+1 who calls. Flop comes 4d, 4s, 6h!!!!! UTG+1 checks, CO bets 400, UTG+1 folds. Now had I even limped in withmy 4s I would have almost certainly folded to the COs re-raise preflop, but man it would have been sweet to flop those quads.

Level 3: Blinds 25/50, 1,385 chips, 5th place in chips, 7 players left

Hand #26: On the next hand I get dealt Qs, Qd in the BB (1,385). UTG+1 (4,385) limps, CO pushses all-in for 570, folded tot he SB (1,045) who calls, I push all-in for 1,385, UTG+1 folds, SB calls. The CO shows Ah, Qh and the SB shows As, Ac. I am throughly screwed. The final board is 5s, 2h, 4h, Kc, 2s and I am out in 6th. If only I had doubled up on those quads.

Tournament Result: 6th place

Last edited by primelord : 05-13-2005 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:57 PM   #47
primelord
Pro Rookie

Tournament 17

Hand #1: I am dealt Kh, Jh in the SB. It's folded to the CO who limps, the button folds, I raise to 60, the BB folds, and the CO calls. Heads up to the flop for 140 chips. The flop comes Jc, 3d, 5c. I bet 100 and the CO folds.

Level 2: Blinds 15/30, 1,510 chips, 6th place in chips, 8 players left

Hand #: I am dealt Kh, Qd UTG+1 (1,510). UTG (2,500) limps, I raise to 120, folded to the SB (2,360) who calls, everyone else folds. Two to the flop for 300. The flop comes Kd, Jh, 4h. The SB checks, I bet 330, the SB calls. The turn is the 5c. I am a bit confused by that call. With so much already in the pot I think he would have re-raised with something like AK, KJ, or a set. I think I am still good here so I push all-in for 1,060. My opponent quickly calls and turns over Ah, 5h. I have to dodge 13 outs on the river, but all in all I made the right play. The river is the Ks and I double up.

Hand #: This is another oh what could have been hand. I am dealt Ks, Qd in MP2 (2,960). UTG (640) open raises to 60, folded to me, I fold, the CO (1,435) calls, the button (2,030) calls, everyone else folds. 3 to the flop for 225. The flop comes Qc, Tc, Qh. Checked to the button wo bets 90, UTG check raises to 180, the CO calls, the button folds. The turn is the Qs!!!! UTG bets 90, the CO calls. The river is the 4s. UTG pushes all-in for 310, the CO calls. UTG hows 7s, 7c and the CO shows 4d, 4h. I might have busted them both.

Last edited by primelord : 05-14-2005 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:41 PM   #48
primelord
Pro Rookie

Tournament 17

Hand #1: I am dealt Kh, Jh in the SB. It's folded to the CO who limps, the button folds, I raise to 60, the BB folds, and the CO calls. Heads up to the flop for 140 chips. The flop comes Jc, 3d, 5c. I bet 100 and the CO folds.

Level 2: Blinds 15/30, 1,510 chips, 6th place in chips, 8 players left

Hand #15: I am dealt Kh, Qd UTG+1 (1,510). UTG (2,500) limps, I raise to 120, folded to the SB (2,360) who calls, everyone else folds. Two to the flop for 300. The flop comes Kd, Jh, 4h. The SB checks, I bet 330, the SB calls. The turn is the 5c. I am a bit confused by that call. With so much already in the pot I think he would have re-raised with something like AK, KJ, or a set. I think I am still good here so I push all-in for 1,060. My opponent quickly calls and turns over Ah, 5h. I have to dodge 13 outs on the river, but all in all I made the right play. The river is the Ks and I double up.

Hand #21: This is another oh what could have been hand. I am dealt Ks, Qd in MP2 (2,960). UTG (640) open raises to 60, folded to me, I fold, the CO (1,435) calls, the button (2,030) calls, everyone else folds. 3 to the flop for 225. The flop comes Qc, Tc, Qh. Checked to the button wo bets 90, UTG check raises to 180, the CO calls, the button folds. The turn is the Qs!!!! UTG bets 90, the CO calls. The river is the 4s. UTG pushes all-in for 310, the CO calls. UTG hows 7s, 7c and the CO shows 4d, 4h. I might have busted them both.

Level 3: Blinds 25/50, 2,960 chips, 1st place in chips, 8 players left

Nothing very playable in this round. I got raised out of a couple of small pocket pairs pre-flop. At least we managed to lose two more opponents.

Level 4: Blinds 50/100, 2,885 chips, 1st place in chips, 6 players left

Hand #43: I am dealt Kh, Qd in the SB (2,885). The button pushes all-in to 380, I re-raise to 700 to try and ensure we get heads up. The BB folds. The button turns over Tc, 9c. Qh, 5s, 3h. The turn is the 7c and now my opponent is drawing dead. The final card is a useless 8s and we are down to 4.

Level 5: Blinds 75/150, 2,965 chips, 2nd place in chips, 4 players left

Nothing of real value here. I manage to get the blinds a few times, but did end up getting pushed out enough to make a small dent in my stack. WE do have on guy down to 650 though so my chances of making the money are good here.

Level 6: Blinds 100/200, 2,515 chips, 3rd place in chips, 4 players left

Hand #79: I am dealt Jc, Td in the SB (1,915). UTG folds, the button (650) limps for 200, I fold and the BB (7,170) checks. The flop comes 8h, Jh, 3h. The BB checks, the button pushes all-in for 450, the BB calls. The button shows As, Kh and the BB shows 4h, 2h for the flopped flush. The turn is the 7s and the river is the 2c and we are in the money.

Level 7: Blinds 100/200, Antes 25, 1,735 chips, 3rd place in chips, 3 players left

Hand #99: I am starting to get pretty short stacked when I am dealt 4h, 4s in the BB. The button (6,555) open raises to 825, the SB folds, I push all-in for 1,565. The button calls and shows Kd, Jh. I am a slight favorite. I become a big favorite when the flop comes Kh, Td, 4c. I am about a 95% favorite to win this hand now. The turn settles it with the 2s and I double up.

After that hands the blinds just continue to eat me up all the way up to level 8.

Level 8: Blinds 200/400, Antes 25, 1,405 chips, 3rd place in chips, 3 players left

Hand #116: On the first hand of the 8th level I get dealt Js, Th on the button. I open raise to 1,225, the Sb folds, the BB (4,030) re-rases me all-in. Whoops. I'd imagine he has me beat here. I call with my last 180 and he turns over Kh, Ks and I need a lot of help. The flop is a bit of good news. Jd, 6c, 9c. At least I have hope. The turn was even better Jc. Now my opponent only has two outs. The river was the 7s and I double up.

My opponent gave me some lip about that hand. Not that I care, but I am not certain what he wanted me to do. I was short stacked so the raise pre-flop was fine to try and get the blinds and after his re-raise I only had 180 left. Where did he think I was going to go?

Hand #120: I am dealt Ad, Kh in the BB (3,035). UTG folds, the SB (2,635 the same villan from the last hand) pushes all-in to 2,625. I call and he flips over 2s, 2h. It's a race. The race is over early as the flop comes 5s, 3d, Ac. I just need to dodge a 2 or a 4. The turn is the 8h, and the river is the 9s. We are down to 2 players.

Hand #126: I am dealt Ah, 5h in the BB (6,260). The SB (7,240) completes, I raise to 2,025, he calls. We see the flop for 4,050. The flop comes 6c, 2h, 9d. I figure there is a good chance that flop missed my opponent and I want to take this pot down so I push all-in for 4,235. My opponent thinks for a long time and calls. He flips over Jh, 9s. Ok I need an A or running hearts. The turn is the 8c. Ok now I need an A or a 7. The river is the miracle 7d and I have a commanding chip lead. Sometimes it's good to be lucky.

Hand #129: I am dealt Ad, As in the SB (12,520). I bet 1,225 to put my opponent all-in. He quickly calls and shows 9d, 5h? I guess he was ready to quit. The flop gave my opponent a little hope 3d, 9h, 2d. The turn was the 3s. Now only a 9 would save him. The river was the Qd and I am the winner.

Tournament Result: 1st place

My first all-in when we were heads up was probably a bit too aggressive, but overall I thought I played this one pretty well.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:26 PM   #49
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Hand #21: This is another oh what could have been hand. I am dealt Ks, Qd in MP2 (2,960). UTG (640) open raises to 60, folded to me, I fold, the CO (1,435) calls, the button (2,030) calls, everyone else folds. 3 to the flop for 225. The flop comes Qc, Tc, Qh. Checked to the button wo bets 90, UTG check raises to 180, the CO calls, the button folds. The turn is the Qs!!!! UTG bets 90, the CO calls. The river is the 4s. UTG pushes all-in for 310, the CO calls. UTG hows 7s, 7c and the CO shows 4d, 4h. I might have busted them both.

I'm confused why you didn't play that hand.

I would also like to add that I've had great success with the 3x preflop raise. It seems to scare off a lot of people especially with a decent size bet on the flop.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:36 PM   #50
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49
I'm confused why you didn't play that hand.

I would also like to add that I've had great success with the 3x preflop raise. It seems to scare off a lot of people especially with a decent size bet on the flop.

I didn't play it for a couple of reasons. The players in these games often tend to be very passive. Early in the tournament and from early position it is not uncommon for a raise to mean a very big hand. Also they tend to do a min raise like this with very big hands, but raise even more with more marginal hands.

Now it isn't right to just assume everyone plays that way and this hand might have been worth a call, but since I didn;t have any solid read on this guy and there were still people left to act behind me I didn't want it to get re-raised and have to fold. So I dumped it before it cost me anything.