Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-20-2005, 03:40 PM   #1
Antmeister
Pro Starter

The Elder Scrolls IV:Oblivion

I can't wait for this game to come out even though I have yet to complete Morrowind. And there are still two more games after Morrowind. But I have been a huge fan of Bethseda since I first played Daggerfall which had the most depth that I have ever seen in a roleplaying game. Sea Dogs was probably the hugest disappointment. Besides that, the latest trailer for Oblivion look nice and I know I will end up purchasing it. It will probably take me another two years just to finish the first 3 in the series though.

Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 03:51 PM   #2
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Wow. You....*liked* Daggerfall?

That was the poster child for good ideas implemented in piss poor fashion for a good long while, in my book.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 03:54 PM   #3
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Wow. You....*liked* Daggerfall?

That was the poster child for good ideas implemented in piss poor fashion for a good long while, in my book.

Mr. Warlord, what did you find so negative about the game? That is the only standalone roleplaying game that even my wife played. She hasn't played any other standalone roleplaying game since. Now she would rather play MMORPGs since she loves to be chatty.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:55 PM   #4
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I understand you don't like it. However Daggerfall is reguarded by most as a classic, so really it's not a "wow" situation.

Can't wait for Oblivion.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 04:05 PM   #5
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister71
Mr. Warlord, what did you find so negative about the game? That is the only standalone roleplaying game that even my wife played. She hasn't played any other standalone roleplaying game since. Now she would rather play MMORPGs since she loves to be chatty.

All I really remember from that game these days is wandering around one of the big towns hearing "Vennnnnngeannnnnnncee" over and over and over, with not a god damned clue what I should be doing.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 04:23 PM   #6
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
All I really remember from that game these days is wandering around one of the big towns hearing "Vennnnnngeannnnnnncee" over and over and over, with not a god damned clue what I should be doing.

Oh that is why you didn't like it. It could get somewhat overwhelming at times because there was one main storyline in the game and then there were a number of subplots. Then there were those side task that you could choose to do and complete. That voice you kept hearing had to do with one of the subplots in the city you were in. If I remember correctly, it had something to do with the graveyard. You wouldn't find out what the voice was all about until you talked with people in the city. Plus I remember that you weren't allowed to sleep in the city's streets so you had to get a room at a local tavern or be jailed.

I am surprised I remember that much. I can see why you didn't like it though. Even though they had some sort of journal, the journal wasn't very descriptive. I do recall that if I spent a week away from the game, I would become confused on all the elements of that simplified entry.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:31 PM   #7
Desnudo
Coordinator

Captain Picard as the voice of the emperor. Pretty cool.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 06:08 PM   #8
Tigercat
College Starter

I didn't like Daggerfall eithger. Just playing it you could tell it could be so much better if you could feel more apart of the gaming environment. Of course that was later realized in Morrowind. As it was, walking for miles surrounded by cardboard cutout looking enemies, trees, and people just didn't get me immersed in the game like the gameplay would have wanted me to be.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 06:23 PM   #9
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat
I didn't like Daggerfall eithger. Just playing it you could tell it could be so much better if you could feel more apart of the gaming environment. Of course that was later realized in Morrowind. As it was, walking for miles surrounded by cardboard cutout looking enemies, trees, and people just didn't get me immersed in the game like the gameplay would have wanted me to be.

I can see what you are saying, but Daggerfall was created several years ago and to their credit, it was a 3D roleplaying world. The graphics were actually good for its time. Compare it to the other roleplaying games of that time and Daggerfall was one of the few that was in 3D. I wonder how it would do today if they would recreate it with today's graphics.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:31 PM   #10
Calis
College Starter

I loved Daggerfall, had much more fun with it than I ever did with Morrowind actually, but those were different times.

I don't think I ever got past the first two "story" missions in Daggerfall. I spent quite a career going from town to town pillaging as much as I could and riding my horse off into the sunset all the while massacring guards.

Heh, I remember contracting Lyncanthropy being God-mode as far as cities, as none of the guards wielded weapons that could hurt you.

The covens, all the hidden little stuff in it. One of my favorite games, I'll throw Arena in there as well. Yeah they were buggy as hell, but man did they rock.

Morrowind on the other hand, just never really clicked for me.

I didn't really see Morrowind as any more immersive. Didn't see much of a step up from Daggerfall in that department. The NPC's were still generic and did nothing. I guess Gothic spoiled me.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 07:29 PM   #11
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis
I loved Daggerfall, had much more fun with it than I ever did with Morrowind actually, but those were different times.

I don't think I ever got past the first two "story" missions in Daggerfall. I spent quite a career going from town to town pillaging as much as I could and riding my horse off into the sunset all the while massacring guards.

Heh, I remember contracting Lyncanthropy being God-mode as far as cities, as none of the guards wielded weapons that could hurt you.

The covens, all the hidden little stuff in it. One of my favorite games, I'll throw Arena in there as well. Yeah they were buggy as hell, but man did they rock.

Morrowind on the other hand, just never really clicked for me.

I didn't really see Morrowind as any more immersive. Didn't see much of a step up from Daggerfall in that department. The NPC's were still generic and did nothing. I guess Gothic spoiled me.

I still haven't played Gothic. I have got to try that out. Heard too many good things from people on this board.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:47 PM   #12
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Same here - about needing to try out Gothic or Gothic 2.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-20-2005 at 08:47 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 08:58 PM   #13
Calis
College Starter

I wasn't very fond of the first Gothic, but the 2nd one is one of my favorites. Highly recommend it to any RPG fan, one of the best. While it doesn't have the size and scope that Morrowind does, what's there is mucho better in my book. The game feels much more alive.

Now if they'd ever release that expansion pack here in the states.

Main thing with Gothic though, you have to give it some time to get used to the control scheme. It's different and can be pretty damn annoying at first, the 2nd game does give you the option to use a more standard scheme so it's no biggie there.

Lets see if Buc's "Gothdar" is still strong.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:34 PM   #14
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis
I wasn't very fond of the first Gothic, but the 2nd one is one of my favorites. Highly recommend it to any RPG fan, one of the best. While it doesn't have the size and scope that Morrowind does, what's there is mucho better in my book. The game feels much more alive.

Now if they'd ever release that expansion pack here in the states.

Main thing with Gothic though, you have to give it some time to get used to the control scheme. It's different and can be pretty damn annoying at first, the 2nd game does give you the option to use a more standard scheme so it's no biggie there.

Lets see if Buc's "Gothdar" is still strong.

Will I be missing out from any of the story from the original Gothic or does it stand on its own?
Old 05-20-2005, 09:37 PM   #15
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister71
Will I be missing out from any of the story from the original Gothic or does it stand on its own?

I never finished the original Gothic and didn't feel lost personally.

There's obviously some stuff, but it does a good job of keeping you informed.

Might be worth trying the first if you can find it though, I imagine it's pretty cheap now. Couple things will be cooler if you've played it.