Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-13-2005, 01:37 AM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Mike Tyson's legacy

How will he be remembered say, twenty years from now. I mean, we always look back on people like him and they generally find some sort of way to romanticize everything.

With all the fans at that fight the other night, still, despite his not doing anything in years, it proves that the man has left an imprint on the sport.

Thoughts?

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:42 AM   #2
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I think he will be remembered for two things.

One, for being perhaps the most fearsome and truly scary heavyweight of all time.

Two, for being perhaps a symbol of what is wrong in a sport that glorifies a man who, in any other societal profession, would have been committed to the loony bin a long time ago. A rapist and a thug who made millions for just about being exactly that.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 03:25 AM   #3
JeffR
High School JV

The Sonny Liston of the 80's and 90's. Looked invincible for a little while, got upset, was never the same after that, and (it's pretty much inevitable, isn't it?) met an unpleasant end.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 05:49 AM   #4
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR
The Sonny Liston of the 80's and 90's. Looked invincible for a little while, got upset, was never the same after that, and (it's pretty much inevitable, isn't it?) met an unpleasant end.

The last part of the quote sounds so wrong, but yet many people have come with this conclusion for years. I actually had hoped he would get some serious help, but I don't think you may be right to say that he could meet an unpleasant end.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:06 AM   #5
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

He'll be remembered for Mike Tyson's Punchout! by anybody from that generation who remembers the fairly decent boxing NES game..

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:09 AM   #6
Suicane75
Coordinator

I will alwasy remember him for what he was, a great poet.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:21 AM   #7
hhiipp
College Prospect

There won't be a legacy, he's just going to fade into bolivian.
hhiipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:46 AM   #8
Celeval
Pro Starter

TK hit it on the nose - I was talking about this with my wife the day after the fight, that to me, Tyson would always be the man because of PunchOut.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:58 AM   #9
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhiipp
There won't be a legacy, he's just going to fade into bolivian.

I'll always remember him for quotes like this. A group of friends and I watched one of his round and a half joke fights from a few years ago together, after which Tyson said he was fighting with a broken neck and back. It was like that drunk uncle moment (because honestly up until about three or four years ago I thought it was an act, that the guy just knew how to play a great role), where you just realize holy shit, this guy's on another planet. That's his legacy. I mean is he gonna be selling grills or something? I don't think so. But he IS going to be on the greatest Surreal Life of all-time. VH1 needs to be on the phone with someone right now, and after SL spin Tyson off into his own walking the earth, Kung-Fu-esque, reality series. He's made for this.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:11 AM   #10
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Convicted Rapist
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:26 AM   #11
Raiders Army
Coordinator

His legacy will be to turn boxing fans into WWF fans. At least on their PPVs you get your money's worth.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:50 AM   #12
wishbone
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
He'll be remembered for Mike Tyson's Punchout! by anybody from that generation who remembers the fairly decent boxing NES game..

/tk

The only place that has this game locally is selling it for $30. On Ebay it goes for $10
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:13 PM   #13
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Personally I'll always remeber the NES game, and the fact he bit off someone's ear... the last part overshadows his boxing accomplisments in my head.
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:40 PM   #14
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Mike Tyson would definitely be in my Badass hall of fame. he will also be in my Loser hall of fame. When I think about, there are probably a lot of guys who are eligible for dual membership.

Quote:
But he IS going to be on the greatest Surreal Life of all-time. VH1 needs to be on the phone with someone right now, and after SL spin Tyson off into his own walking the earth, Kung-Fu-esque, reality series. He's made for this.
You are a Real Man of Genius.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 03:47 PM   #15
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

His legacy is right here: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vid....high.asx.html
Old 06-13-2005, 04:01 PM   #16
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

I think that he (along with Don King) will be remembered as the ones who killed the sport of boxing.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 04:32 PM   #17
Blackadar
Retired

Mike's legacy will be mixed.

As Young Mike Tyson, he was the Once Baddest Man on the Planet and a truly fearsome heavyweight. The youngest Champion in heavyweight history who unified the title. One of the hardest hitters in history who truly created fear in his opponents. At his best, he was probably one of the top 5 heavyweights that ever entered the ring.

As Old Mike Tyson, a sorry example of the human race. A convicted rapist, a guy who had no self-control and once bit an opponent's ear off. A guy who wasted all of his money and was taken to the cleaners by Don King. A guy whose skills declined and became old and washed up as his mental condition detoriated. A guy who will hopefully be used as an example to get Congressional oversight of boxing and make the sport legitimate again.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 05:04 PM   #18
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

19 year old heavyweight champ. That will be remembered. The fear he put into opponents, 1st round KO's will be remembered.

All his various charges(legal) over the years, going nuts basically, that will be remembered too. Well below the top heavyweights in terms of legacy.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 05:47 PM   #19
timmynausea
College Starter

He was one of the most exciting fighters in the history of boxing, in his prime. Also perhaps one of the craziest people in the history of sports.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:34 PM   #20
kmbgolf
n00b

I will always remember the young mike coming out for the fight with ripped towel around his neck black shoes and pants.Mike tysons downfall was really when cus damato died.The only person in mikes life that really cared about him.He has been taking advantage of for years after cus died.Its really a shame.There are hundreds of guys in boxing unstable like mike.When you get your head bashed in for a living it takes a SPECIAL kind of person.Look at the holyfield fight everybody remembers when tyson bit his ear but holyfield was headbutting him the entire fight.

Never judge a man until you walk 10 miles in his mocassins....................or something like that
kmbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:15 PM   #21
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

A friend of mine said it this way: He was one of the greatest fighters of all time because the rage and anger he brought into the ring, but that rage also made him one of the worst human beings you could possibly know.