Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-15-2005, 02:58 PM   #1
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Guy Blows Teammate Away and Only Get 35 Years?

Dotson gets 35 years

Well, I normally stay away from any sort of serious conversation when it comes to FOFC (this is my fun site), but I had to say something about this..

How is it that someone can shoot somebody in cold blood, claim they were having mental issues, and not end up either in the gas chamber or in prison for the rest of their life?

35 years? This guy will be living amongst the rest of us some day down the road? Geez.

Whatever happened to an eye for an eye? (or something even remotely similar to that).

Last edited by MylesKnight : 06-15-2005 at 02:59 PM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 03:01 PM   #2
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesKnight
Dotson gets 35 years

Well, I normally stay away from any sort of serious conversation when it comes to FOFC (this is my fun site), but I had to say something about this..

How is it that someone can shoot somebody in cold blood, claim they were having mental issues, and not end up either in the gas chamber or in prison for the rest of their life?

35 years? This guy will be living amongst the rest of us some day down the road? Geez.

Whatever happened to an eye for an eye? (or something even remotely similar to that).

Plea bargin?
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 03:07 PM   #3
Samdari
Roster Filler

FYI - 35 years in prison is generally regarded as severe punishment.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:10 PM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Since he pleaded, he had to get something in exchange for not going to trial, didn't he? And I've seen far lesser sentences for something similar, so it's not like he's getting off lightly.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 03:11 PM   #5
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

I'm going to say this and then I will leave it alone...

IMHO, if you do that kind of thing to someone you don't deserve to ever see the light of day again as a free human being.

Why should he live and have a chance in life? The kid that he did that do surely won't have that opportunity.

Murder is a pretty darn serious thing and should be handled accordingly.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:13 PM   #6
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I'm not 100% certain, but I think he was charged with 2nd degree murder, not 1st degree murder. I am certain that there wasn't a plea bargain, he volunteered to plead guilty without first trying to get a deal from the prosecution.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 06-15-2005 at 03:14 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 03:14 PM   #7
Ksyrup

You take a risk by going to trial, though. What if the jury somehow found that he acted in self-defense and let him off? Then what? 35 years would look pretty damn good, wouldn't it? It's not like the prosecution had the iron-clad choice of 35 years versus life in prison/death row and just decided to take the 35 years because they didn't feel like going to court. Nothing is a sure thing.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-15-2005 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:16 PM   #8
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
I'm not 100% certain, but I think he was charged with 2nd degree murder, not 1st degree murder. I am certain that there wasn't a plea bargain, he volunteered to plead guilty without first trying to get a deal from the prosecution.

And if that's the case, you take what you can get. They obviously didn't feel like they had enough evidence to charge him with 1st degree murder.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:16 PM   #9
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:

IMHO, if you do that kind of thing to someone you don't deserve to ever see the light of day again as a free human being.

Why should he live and have a chance in life? The kid that he did that do surely won't have that opportunity.

I agree, but I don't think I would be all-inclusive. What if it were a man who killed someone who raped his daughter? Or what if that someone killed his daughter?
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 03:41 PM   #10
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
I agree, but I don't think I would be all-inclusive. What if it were a man who killed someone who raped his daughter? Or what if that someone killed his daughter?

Well, if that person was a famous freak he would be found not guilty, then the jury could get their cd's signed!
Old 06-15-2005, 03:43 PM   #11
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

If everyone who was convicted of murder in the country got the death penalty, the legal fees would cripple the country.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:44 PM   #12
Joe
Pro Starter

I was expecting 10 years max.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 03:46 PM   #13
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Dotson gets 35 years

If it was a federal case, then it might be because they need room to hold the man the sentenced to 55 years for selling marijuana last winter. But that crime probably is 157% worse than murder.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 03:58 PM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Although I'm open to somone finding better/more current statistics, it appears that this guy actually got slammed pretty hard.

According to this report from the DOJ
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/scscf02.pdf
State Court Sentencing of Convicted Felons, 2002 -- Statistical Tables (Table 1.2)

The mean sentence for murder (incl. negligent homicide) in state courts across the US was 225 months, a bit under 20 years.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:35 PM   #15
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

In this particular circumstance, the murderer seemed to have killed in cold blood. That is what I am getting at. And if you kill someone in that way, do you deserve to ever be free again? I don't believe so...

How our justice system works (and I use that word very loosely) is almost comical. Hell, this guy may end up doing less time than the black man who stole the old white lady's tv in N.C. did. Now that's justice.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:26 PM   #16
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Are you saying that the Texas criminal justice system is too easy on convicts?
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 10:13 PM   #17
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk
Are you saying that the Texas criminal justice system is too easy on convicts?

Of course it is! Texas should have at least twice the executions they have now.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 10:49 PM   #18
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Everytime I skim the threads, this one catches may attention:

"Guy Blows Teammate . . . "

And I think WTF? And have to read it.

I've said my peace. Go about your business.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:55 PM   #19
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Exact opposite with me. I think this is the first time in ten tries i didn't stop reading after seeing "Guy Blows Teammate."
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 11:23 PM   #20
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Tell him he got off lightly in about 25-30 years and see what his answer is... That's alotta time.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 11:57 PM   #21
timmynausea
College Starter

The Guy Blows Teammate thing threw me as well. I thought 35 years was pretty steep for that.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 11:59 PM   #22
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well it IS Texas.