Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 01:21 PM   #2
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

NASCAR = gay?
Old 06-19-2005, 01:22 PM   #3
Dutch
"Dutch"

LOL. It's reality, NASCAR is, sadly, much better than the rest of this crap. IRL? CART? F1? At least NASCAR races with their best cars and best drivers. Unbelievable.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 01:51 PM   #4
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
LOL. It's reality, NASCAR is, sadly, just as bad as the rest of this crap.

Fixed that for you.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 01:55 PM   #5
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
Fixed that for you.

I agree, but money talks and NASCAR is winning all the gold these days.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:58 PM   #6
Joe
Pro Starter

I think we could tell by the mullet.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 06:38 PM   #7
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
LOL. It's reality, NASCAR is, sadly, much better than the rest of this crap. IRL? CART? F1? At least NASCAR races with their best cars and best drivers. Unbelievable.
Best car? Michelin tires not withstanding, I think an IRL, Cart or an F1 car would toast a NASCAR car any day.

Not that long ago, race car driving in this country was the Indy 500 and everything else. But at the same time open wheel racing was going international and looking for a worldwide audience, NASCAR went the opposite and went after a domestic audience and tried to make it more attractive for television by trying to make the cars race as closely together as possible.

To a certain degree, both succeeded. Michael Schumacher is the second richest "athlete" in the world despite the fact that only about five people in the US knows who he is. No one outside the US and parts of Canada knows who Jeff Gordon is.

But then again, I couldn't care less.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 07:08 PM   #8
RendeR
Coordinator

See, you suffer the same problem many others do.

Cart, IRL and F1 machines are NOT cars. They are go-karts. Very powerful fast and technologically advanced go karts, but thats all they are none-the-less.

As for knowing who anyone is, its a matter of pubiclity, like you say they market NASCAR where the fans are, and thats right here in north america.

Open wheel racing is going to die in the united states and I for one will not shed a tear. In NASCAR its about competing with your 42 "best friends" every week to finish well and win some races, in open wheel racing its about buying the best technology and staying as far away from the other go karts as you can.

NASCAR is racing, the rest is just pretty little rich kids playing with toys and comparing dick sizes.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 07:32 PM   #9
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
Best car? Michelin tires not withstanding, I think an IRL, Cart or an F1 car would toast a NASCAR car any day.

Not that long ago, race car driving in this country was the Indy 500 and everything else. But at the same time open wheel racing was going international and looking for a worldwide audience, NASCAR went the opposite and went after a domestic audience and tried to make it more attractive for television by trying to make the cars race as closely together as possible.

To a certain degree, both succeeded. Michael Schumacher is the second richest "athlete" in the world despite the fact that only about five people in the US knows who he is. No one outside the US and parts of Canada knows who Jeff Gordon is.

But then again, I couldn't care less.

I said "their best cars" as in -- The top cars in the North American Stock Car Auto Racing league specs. F1's top cars as sanctioned by FIA sat on the sideline today. IRL doesn't have the top cars in their own league. Cart doesn't have the best drivers in their own league.

Open-Wheel racing is a farce. Hell, they are being mocked as go-carts now instead of enjoyed for what they should be.

Also, NASCAR's are basically go-carts with a fiber-glass chasis so it appeals to a different audience.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:33 PM   #10
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
Cart, IRL and F1 machines are NOT cars.

Dude, have you ever actually seen a real NASCAR? Those things have about as much in common with their supposed real-life counterparts as a Pinto would have with a Ferarri.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 08:58 PM   #11
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
NASCAR = gay?

Dear NASCAR Forum,

Me and Billy Joe was watching the television the other day in my trailer. It was just like we always do. Turn on the tube and watch the cars going round and round. Great fun! We do it for hours at a time.

Well, there was only one beer left, so we decide to split it. I mean, who cares about the germs, seeing as how we're kin and all... So I went to grab the beer from between Billy Joe's legs and I missed the bottle. I must admit, I pretended at first that it was an accident, but I kinda knew what I was doing.

Anyway, I think I am with child.

Sincerely,

Billy Bob
Old 06-19-2005, 10:21 PM   #12
RendeR
Coordinator

Dutch: There is no fiberglass on a stock car at the NASCAR sanctioned levels. Some drivers use fiberglass nose pieces at the touring levels but if they step up to trucks busch or cup they are entirely sheet steel.

BigJohn: Are all lions fans ignorant or is it just my lucky week to have numbers of them spew forth idiocy on my behalf?

Ice: NASCAR specs have grown over the years, indeed a large portion of the body is not a safety roll cage, but in the beginning this wasn't so. Stock car racing began literally with cars off the showroom floor. There isn't an open wheel car in existance that can trace its make and model back to a real on the road vehicle. They are kids backstreet hot rods on steroids. A stock car has an engine that literally could be put into a street legal machine and driven home. Try dropping that IRL engine or F1 engine into a real car, I'll have you some lube to help make teh squeeze. They just don't go.

Open wheel racing isn't about the drivers or the competition, its about the technology and finding some sort of mechanical edge that will beat everyone elses mechanical edges.

NASCAR and stock car racing in general is about each driver putting an evenly built and powered car on the track and using his skill to beat everyone else. It may not look that way, but on any given day even the shittiest team on the CUP curciut can win a race.

Ask that also-ran who got on the podium at indy today if he'll ever see another one. He'll probably say "I hope so" and not really believe it.

Open wheel racing will die, and as I said before, I won't shed a tear, good riddence to bad rubbish.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 11:01 PM   #13
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 11:07 PM   #14
TLK
Pro Starter

If nothing else, this thread reiterates how much I can't wait for Honda and Toyota to enter the Cup Series..... I can't wait boys.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 11:08 PM   #15
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn&TheLions
Dear NASCAR Forum,

Me and Billy Joe was watching the television the other day in my trailer. It was just like we always do. Turn on the tube and watch the cars going round and round. Great fun! We do it for hours at a time.

Well, there was only one beer left, so we decide to split it. I mean, who cares about the germs, seeing as how we're kin and all... So I went to grab the beer from between Billy Joe's legs and I missed the bottle. I must admit, I pretended at first that it was an accident, but I kinda knew what I was doing.

Anyway, I think I am with child.

Sincerely,

Billy Bob

Not Funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd

Funny.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote