Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-14-2005, 07:10 PM   #1
MikeVic
Head Coach

Mech Games?

I'm itching to play a mech game of some sort... I've played Front Mission 3 for about 20 hours before, and really enjoyed it, so that game has the early lead.

Does anyone have recommendations on a good mech game? And no, I'm not going to go out and buy that Steel Batallion game for XBox.

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 07:27 PM   #2
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

MechWarrior 4?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:22 PM   #3
aran
High School Varsity

MechCommander 2 is a lot of fun. I'd suggest that.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:41 PM   #4
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
I'm itching to play a mech game of some sort... I've played Front Mission 3 for about 20 hours before, and really enjoyed it, so that game has the early lead.

Does anyone have recommendations on a good mech game? And no, I'm not going to go out and buy that Steel Batallion game for XBox.

Front Mission 4 runs about $20 in game places' bonus bins, FYI.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:53 PM   #5
Calis
College Starter

There's always Titans of Steels, which AStott has a dynasty going with. It's a pretty hardcore TB hex-based game. Pretty fun though as you keep your crew of pilots and mech through each random or campaign mission and upgrade as you go. Gives it a lot of replayability.

Mechcommander is great also, the first moreso than the 2nd.

Mechwarrior 4, the Mercenaries expansion is really a pretty good game. A lot better than Vanilla MW4, and you can even get the Gold or whatever edition with the original and two expansions for I think 20 bucks most places.

The MechAssault games on the XBox are pretty fun also, much more of an arcadey feel than the others, but interesting.

Anyway, I'm a mech junkie..I'll admit, love the idea, and really think the Battletech world in particular is interesting.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 09:01 PM   #6
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Or you could go hardcore and play MegaMek! Its free to boot.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 06:49 AM   #7
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I couldnt get MW4 to run on my xp machine. YMMV

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 06:51 AM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Does anyone have Steel Battallion? I'm not much of a mech guy, but the concept of a 200 dollar game with 37 button controller interests me. Not enough to buy it, of course.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:24 AM   #9
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Titans of Steel?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 10:43 AM   #10
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Go find Battle Tech for the Genesis. That game is a classic.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:05 PM   #11
Calis
College Starter

If we're talking classics go for Battletech: Crescent Hawk's Inception..man did that game rock, although it's probably getting close to 20 years old now.

I never understood why we haven't got a cool Mech RPG lately, Battletech style, the Japanese style of mechs have just never really clicked with me.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:14 PM   #12
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Titans of Steel?

I too am intrigued as I love me some turn-based action. So I repeat...

Titans of Steel?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 12:14 PM   #13
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Links for Titans of Steel and MegaMek, please?

I remember a freebie Mech game on my Amiga back in the day. Great turn-based system, upgrade your mechs between battles, etc. Can't remember the name, but I had a ton of fun on it and one of the best mech games ever.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:20 PM   #14
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
Links for Titans of Steel and MegaMek, please?

I remember a freebie Mech game on my Amiga back in the day. Great turn-based system, upgrade your mechs between battles, etc. Can't remember the name, but I had a ton of fun on it and one of the best mech games ever.

http://www.titansofsteel.com/

Btw, from everything I read, Titans of Steel is VERY MUCH in the mold of the game you're speaking of. I never played the original, but it's a spiritual successor by all accounts.

Last edited by Calis : 08-15-2005 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:36 PM   #15
Warhammer
Pro Starter

www.megamek.net is the megamek website IIRC. It is a hex based game that models battletech which is where most of these games draw there inspiration.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:52 PM   #16
MikeVic
Head Coach

I had a lot of problems with MechWarrior 4 on XP as well. I should have mentioned that. Even after I got it installed last time, there were problems during the game. I did like the bit that I played, but too many problems with it...

Does this Titans of Steel game have a story mode at all? Or is it building mechs and battling them? I'm looking through the site right now...

I'd also prefer not to play a game for Genesis... I don't really care much for graphics, but I'd like to keep it at Playstation1 and newer.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:00 PM   #17
Calis
College Starter

Titans of Steel does have some campaigns mixed in it, with a series of missions and I believe there is a story involved. I never really delved into those though, I just did randoms, so I can't say for sure.

Hmm, I ran MW4 and it's expansions fine on XP here about 6 months back, but I can't remember for sure if I had to fiddle with it beforehand. I didn't have any problems in game though. The Mercenaries expansion really is a ton of fun. Especially fighting in the arena on it, the announcer is great.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:08 PM   #18
Eilim
High School Varsity

For those looking to go a little old school in their quest for mech goodness, I suggest checking out http://btmux.com/index.php . While I don't play there, I have downloaded their code through the years to see if I could create an updated version of my old favorite Battlech MUSHes which it is based on.They ripped out alot of the RPG flavor and turned it more into a straight combat simulator when it first went the MUX route. Not sure if its still like that or what direction its heading in now as its been a while since I've checked out the CVS.

Last I knew it was still a pretty active community and should prove fun for mech enthusiasts. Seems atleast this main server is bringing some of the roleplay back, in live events if not in the code itself.
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 01:45 PM   #19
Toddiec
Mascot

Calis, I hear ya. I played Crescent Hawk's Inception on the C64 back in the day and it hooked me on Mech games. A true classic. I may have to fire up the old C64 emulator and give it a whirl just for old times sake.
Toddiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:49 PM   #20
MikeVic
Head Coach

I tried MechWarrior 4 again, but the controls are so weird with the boosting and turning on my gamepad... and I can't figure out how to change the functionality of the sticks, so that's out the window.

I bought a game called Custom Robo for the Gamecube, but haven't read good reviews on it so I'm returning it tomorrow.

I think my best bet is to go over to a friend's house and play Front Mission 4 in spurts. :P
Old 08-18-2005, 10:13 PM   #21
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I bought Titans of Steel, gave it a bit of a go, but I just couldn't get into it. It was a little too complex for me, I guess. I really enjoyed MechForce, the mech game on the Amiga that was mentioned earlier, but Titans of Steel never did it for me. Good luck if you decide to continue your search, MikeVic.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:18 PM   #22
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I had quite a bit of trouble getting into ToS as well. The interface was very cumbersome, but once I got my head around it....it all made sense. It it was unintuitive, but it wasn't a poor design, once I learned how to play the game using the interface, rather than how I thought it should work, everything came together. It was actually elegant.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 11:33 PM   #23
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Hmmm. ToS is available as a digital download for only 19.99. I love Mech games, and this might be the next one I purchase. I recommend the Front Mission Series for anyone who likes mech games and hasn't played them.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 11:40 PM   #24
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Hmmm. ToS is available as a digital download for only 19.99. I love Mech games, and this might be the next one I purchase. I recommend the Front Mission Series for anyone who likes mech games and hasn't played them.

Have you played Front Mission 4? How is it compared to 3?
Old 08-18-2005, 11:44 PM   #25
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
Have you played Front Mission 4? How is it compared to 3?

Yeah, I beat it. I think the story is somewhat cliched, but better than 3's. I think the battles were more fun, and I really enjoyed the better linking mechanism that they had for the mech's. It made for even more tactical thinking in the battles.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:48 AM   #26
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

For anyone considering getting Titans of Steel, I've seen the boxed versions (often used) in places like EB Games (brick and mortar) for a lot less than $19.99. I think $5 or $10, if I remember correctly.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 11:31 AM   #27
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Yeah, I was thinking about checking it out tonight if the old lady let me. It looks sweet though. Would anyone here be up for some good old mech booty kicking?
Old 07-06-2010, 08:39 PM   #28
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Mechwarrior 4 is now a free download from Mektek.net
Old 07-06-2010, 10:26 PM   #29
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

This is only MW4: Mercenaries right?

I'm not complaining as I lost the disc of my own copy. But I've also broken the discs for a few other MW games as well
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote