Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-29-2005, 02:03 PM   #1
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Dell gets a Poor Form from me today....

My Account rep rocks, and he is taking care of this....but here is what happened.

I ordered 10 new machines, the Optiplex 710's for the office, with 17 inch LCD's....Today, we start setup, and my help desk guy brings me one of the monitors.

It is water stained, and actually has sand falling out of it....He brings me the box, it's brand new.

He cracks open 4 more of the monitors, all of them are the same....I feel like I have Hurricane surplus sitting here.

This one on my desk right now, I laugh everytime I look at it...who in their right mind would pack this monitor into a clean box and ship it out, thinking it would be good?

Oh well, I have the replacements on the way,.....I am getting my camera in here tomorrow to take some shots....

MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 02:05 PM   #2
Joe
Pro Starter

awesome. but whatever you do, don't get Hornsmaniac fired
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 02:35 PM   #3
Samdari
Roster Filler

They just hosed my Mom pretty bad. Sales sells her a warranty that promises free 24 hour phone support on anything thats wrong with her computer, and home service within 48 hours if her problem cannot be fixed on the phone. Has a problem within a week of getting it and turns out that warranty only covers replacement of the motherboard, CPU and hard drive if they fail, and they want $35 an hour to answer questions on the phone.

F*cking crooks. And they would have been on the phone less time (you know, saving money) with her if they had just answered her question than listening to her bitch and explaining why she had not paid for service. I encourage anyone looking into purchasing any kind of computer equipment to look elsewhere.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:56 PM   #4
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
They just hosed my Mom pretty bad. Sales sells her a warranty that promises free 24 hour phone support on anything thats wrong with her computer, and home service within 48 hours if her problem cannot be fixed on the phone. Has a problem within a week of getting it and turns out that warranty only covers replacement of the motherboard, CPU and hard drive if they fail, and they want $35 an hour to answer questions on the phone.

F*cking crooks. And they would have been on the phone less time (you know, saving money) with her if they had just answered her question than listening to her bitch and explaining why she had not paid for service. I encourage anyone looking into purchasing any kind of computer equipment to look elsewhere.
I don't know how you paid, but you might want to check with your credit card company for fraud protection. You should be able to send it back and receive a full refund.
WrongWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 05:48 PM   #5
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari

So, out of curiosity, what was wrong with her computer?
Old 11-29-2005, 06:44 PM   #6
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorsoccersim
My Account rep rocks, and he is taking care of this....but here is what happened.

I ordered 10 new machines, the Optiplex 710's for the office, with 17 inch LCD's....Today, we start setup, and my help desk guy brings me one of the monitors.

It is water stained, and actually has sand falling out of it....He brings me the box, it's brand new.

He cracks open 4 more of the monitors, all of them are the same....I feel like I have Hurricane surplus sitting here.

This one on my desk right now, I laugh everytime I look at it...who in their right mind would pack this monitor into a clean box and ship it out, thinking it would be good?

Oh well, I have the replacements on the way,.....I am getting my camera in here tomorrow to take some shots....

What do you think happened to the monitors? Surely it didn't come from the manufacturer like this.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:16 PM   #7
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
What do you think happened to the monitors? Surely it didn't come from the manufacturer like this.

Yeah, shipped from Dell like this...I pulled them out of new boxes today....I think someone in the warehouse wasn't thinking.

I mean, one of the cables was rusted completely on the adapter end, and it was rusted inside, you can see it all through the back vent. When all was said and done, 8 out 10 monitors were like this.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:12 PM   #8
lytic
College Benchwarmer

My favorite Sell Sucks story by my good friend and former co-worker: JP Richardson.

http://www.reverendlinux.com/dell/index.html
Hattrick Moderator (since Season 22)
Evil Gargs' Hater (since Season 18)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--
My Pro Soccer Story
lytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:00 PM   #9
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

I just received my new laptop from Dell today, and I'm quite pleased.

Though I did have an odd thing happen - I ordered an extra power cord, they only sent me the piece that hooks into the computer, and didn't include the piece that plugs in to the wall. Odd.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:11 PM   #10
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lytic
My favorite Sell Sucks story by my good friend and former co-worker: JP Richardson.

http://www.reverendlinux.com/dell/index.html
Wow, my thoughts are exactly the opposite. After reading that story I was very impressed at How quickly Dell got all those computers back up and running.

You need to read some of the Horror stories of people who are dealing with small stores that build their own machines, sometimes taking months to fix the problem and then charging their customers every time they bring their machines in for the minimum service charge.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:15 PM   #11
Galaxy
Coordinator

Dude, Dell sucks!!!
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:18 PM   #12
st.cronin
General Manager

I like Dell - I've found them to be a good company to deal with.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:00 PM   #13
lytic
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWay
Wow, my thoughts are exactly the opposite. After reading that story I was very impressed at How quickly Dell got all those computers back up and running.

You need to read some of the Horror stories of people who are dealing with small stores that build their own machines, sometimes taking months to fix the problem and then charging their customers every time they bring their machines in for the minimum service charge.

We also bought GX240 when I was stationed in Iceland (because Dell has become the USAF's favorite over the past 2-3 years); 10% were dead within the first month. If it seems to be a trend, maybe they should look at the "why." I'll give Dell credit for putting together decent servers cheap and I've heard good stuff about their flat panel monitors. I just wouldn't recommend them to any asking for advice on what to buy.
Let me also caveat that I think Dell is the lesser evil of a lot of bad PCs on the market. I'd recommend Dell over Gateway, HP/Compaq (the worst), Sony, fujitsu, and any type of emachines. Though I rank HP/Compaq the worst for PCs/Laptops, they do make outstanding printers (former HP) and decent servers (former Compaq).
My Pro Soccer Story
Old 11-29-2005, 10:41 PM   #14
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Had the hard drive die on me after about 9 or 10 months. The Indian man was very nice in helping. Then the fat white guy who came made it all better. All in about 2 days.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 07:06 AM   #15
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
So, out of curiosity, what was wrong with her computer?

Nothing really, she had a question on how to do something. The sales rep had promised her three years of "unlimited tech support" with the warranty. One would presume unlimited tech support included answering questions.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:18 AM   #16
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999
Then the fat white guy who came made it all better.

I've never had a computer guy come over to my house, but I have found the above to always be true in my life.

:o
Old 11-30-2005, 07:32 PM   #17
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lytic
We also bought GX240 when I was stationed in Iceland (because Dell has become the USAF's favorite over the past 2-3 years); 10% were dead within the first month.
Then what happened? How fast did it take Dell to get those 10% back up and running?
Old 12-01-2005, 04:25 PM   #18
lytic
College Benchwarmer

Well being that were in Iceland it took much longer. Also, just under half of those were on the classified network. When that happens we have to fill out paperwork (which took a few different people at Dell to figure that one out), because we have to destroy the part if it deals with memory.
So we had to pay for shipping from Iceland to send the parts back that were on the unclassified network, took nearly 2 months to get those PCs back on the network. The classified ones took longer for some reason even though we didn't have to send a part (just paperwork).
I'm not really complaining about the service but about the quality of parts. You get what you pay for with Dell.
My Pro Soccer Story
Old 12-01-2005, 05:22 PM   #19
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999
Had the hard drive die on me after about 9 or 10 months. The Indian man was very nice in helping. Then the fat white guy who came made it all better. All in about 2 days.

I believe there was a recent recall on a run of the hard drives Dell was using. We had a bunch die at work as well.