Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-02-2006, 12:51 AM   #1
saldana
Pro Starter

113 points, am i the only one who sees a problem with this?

yes. 113 points is impressive, but what kind of a coach leaves that player in a game like this.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes

when wilt went for 100, and kobe made 81, their teams needed those points...i think this is a disgrace to the coach and school she plays for. i dont blame girl.

saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:52 AM   #2
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Shut up, she's going to Rutgers

Old 02-02-2006, 12:54 AM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I agree, very poor sportsmanship.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:55 AM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm a Rutger's fan and a fan of girl's basketball in NJ, but I agree this is disgraceful. I don't think Kobe's team needed his last 10 points or so, but this is a much more egregious offense. I agree with you that I don't blame the player.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:05 AM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There is no shot clock in HS girls basketball. The other teams coach should have just let the air out of the ball if he was embarassed by it.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:10 AM   #6
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Two-time WNBA MVP Lisa Leslie scored 101 points in a half for Morningside High School in Inglewood, Calif., against South Torrance in 1990. South Torrance refused to play the second half.

Man, youch.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:12 AM   #7
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

pics plz k thx
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:14 AM   #8
Desmond
Banned

She's Hawwwwt
Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:53 AM   #9
Joe
Pro Starter

if you don't like it, stop her from scoring and quit complaining like a bunch of fucking pussies
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 06:02 AM   #10
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
if you don't like it, stop her from scoring and quit complaining like a bunch of fucking pussies
My thoughts exactly...i think it was the texas tech football O-coordinator who put it best.."Its not my job to stop my offense, it their D-coordinators job...Dont blame me if they cant stop my offense, that just means im doing my job"
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 06:15 AM   #11
IwasHere
Banned

Quote:
Exactly, just go out their and put five between her eye. Go old school and clothesline her. There should of many ways for the opposing team to take her out of the game permanently.
IwasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 06:40 AM   #12
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana
yes. 113 points is impressive, but what kind of a coach leaves that player in a game like this.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes

when wilt went for 100, and kobe made 81, their teams needed those points...i think this is a disgrace to the coach and school she plays for. i dont blame girl.

I'll grant you that the Laker's needed Kobe's points, but Wilt's 100 was dubious. The other team started stalling in the 2nd half and Wilt's team started fouling them so they could get the ball back just so he could score. His goal of 100 became the focus of the game instead of trying to win it.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:11 AM   #13
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Girls Hs Basketball lends itself to bad scoring mismatches.. really think they need to put in some sort of mercy rule.. hell reading that article.. lisa leslie had 106 at halftime? wtf
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:33 AM   #14
Subby
lolzcat

This doesn't hold a candle to the lameness of the Nykesha Sales thing...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 08:04 AM   #15
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

You can't compare this to what Kobe and Wilt did - Kobe and Wilt did it playing professional basketball. They play against other paid professionals who are among the best basketball players in the world. If there's a blowout or whatever everyone's a big boy (and well paid) so I'm sure they can handle it and if not then maybe they should find another profession.

This is high school sports - sports in which the vast majority of players on a team will never be good enough to play outside of high school. This was an embarassment to the coach, the school and the player. If she needed to score 113 for her team to win that's one thing but for the coach to allow her to stay in the game and win by 105 points or whatever..that's horrible.

I coach high school boys basketball and I feel guilty if my team gets up by 25 or 30 in a game and I absolutely use those opportunities to get in the kids who don't get to play that often. Obviously it was a pretty bad team they were playing and it would have been a perfect opportunity for that coach and player to make some of the other players on the team feel good about themselves by giving them an opportunity to play and score. I would rather see the last guy on my bench score two points than my best player score 100 any day of the week.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:07 AM   #16
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
Girls Hs Basketball lends itself to bad scoring mismatches.. really think they need to put in some sort of mercy rule.. hell reading that article.. lisa leslie had 106 at halftime? wtf

Lisa Leslie only had 101 in that game. She's not the kind of person who would have embarrassed the other team by putting up 106, that would have been over the top.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 08:49 AM   #17
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

I wasn't in the game, so I had no chance to stop her. I still think I have a right to form an opinion that what that coach did was poor sportsmanship at best, disgraceful at worst.

That article did not contain quotes with anyone from the other team complaining. Or were your comments to "stop her from scoring and quit complaining like a bunch of fucking pussies" directed at people complaining in this thread - who were also commenting as observers of human behavior.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:16 AM   #18
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
This doesn't hold a candle to the lameness of the Nykesha Sales thing...
i must admit i am not familiar with this....what did she do?
Old 02-02-2006, 10:17 AM   #19
saldana
Pro Starter

dola, or is this the girl that they brough in on the virtually broken ankle or leg a couple years ago to shoot free throws to set a scoring record?
Old 02-02-2006, 10:18 AM   #20
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

Pro sports I agree wholeheartedly. High school sports I couldn't disagree more.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:21 AM   #21
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana
dola, or is this the girl that they brough in on the virtually broken ankle or leg a couple years ago to shoot free throws to set a scoring record?

She shredded her ACL when she was one point away from the UConn career scoring record, so the next game the UConn coach arranged it with the other coach so that UConn would win the opening tip and then pass it to Sales, who was standing alone under the basket, so that she could make an easy layup and break the record...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 02-02-2006 at 10:21 AM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 10:31 AM   #22
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

Not to add on to what every rational person in this thread has already pointed out . . . but what is up with your anger problem, dude?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 10:44 AM   #23
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski
I would rather see the last guy on my bench score two points than my best player score 100 any day of the week.

This is the kind of sportsmanship we should be seeing in high school sports.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 11:29 AM   #24
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

There's no excuse for running up the score like that in high school sports. A few hard fouls would not have been unjustified. Preferably on the coach.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:32 AM   #25
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche
There's no excuse for running up the score like that in high school sports. A few hard fouls would not have been unjustified. Preferably on the coach.

I was thinking the same thing, but it is hard to advocate an act of bad sportmanship to protest bad sportsmanship.

Personally, I would have liked to see all of the players on the losing team either sit down on our court to show their disgust at the play, or just quintuple-team their player. I'd like to see her get a pass with 5 players running around her.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:32 AM   #26
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Chuck Norris should go get that coach.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:38 AM   #27
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski
You can't compare this to what Kobe and Wilt did - Kobe and Wilt did it playing professional basketball. They play against other paid professionals who are among the best basketball players in the world. If there's a blowout or whatever everyone's a big boy (and well paid) so I'm sure they can handle it and if not then maybe they should find another profession.

This is high school sports - sports in which the vast majority of players on a team will never be good enough to play outside of high school. This was an embarassment to the coach, the school and the player. If she needed to score 113 for her team to win that's one thing but for the coach to allow her to stay in the game and win by 105 points or whatever..that's horrible.

I coach high school boys basketball and I feel guilty if my team gets up by 25 or 30 in a game and I absolutely use those opportunities to get in the kids who don't get to play that often. Obviously it was a pretty bad team they were playing and it would have been a perfect opportunity for that coach and player to make some of the other players on the team feel good about themselves by giving them an opportunity to play and score. I would rather see the last guy on my bench score two points than my best player score 100 any day of the week.

you can coach my kids team anytime.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:39 AM   #28
wishbone
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
"Originally Posted by George W Bush
if you don't like it, stop her from scoring and quit complaining like a bunch of fucking pussies"
Not to add on to what every rational person in this thread has already pointed out . . . but what is up with your anger problem, dude?

He's had a rough week with the State of the union and everything, give him a break
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:21 PM   #29
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Chuck Norris should go get that coach.

Chuck Norris can score everywhere on the floor all at the same time and put up 100 points in a second, the last coming on a roundhouse kick of the ball from 94 feet, nothing but net.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:52 PM   #30
Huckleberry
College Starter

http://members.aol.com/jeff570/heater.html

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:55 PM   #31
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
Chuck Norris can score everywhere on the floor all at the same time and put up 100 points in a second, the last coming on a roundhouse kick of the ball from 94 feet, nothing but net.

Quoted for truth.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:28 PM   #32
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
These are high school kids most of whom are playing for fun, for the enjoyment of the game and don't deserve to be embarrassed like this. Thank God you don't coach kids in any type of sport. OR, God help us if you do.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:41 PM   #33
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
She shredded her ACL when she was one point away from the UConn career scoring record, so the next game the UConn coach arranged it with the other coach so that UConn would win the opening tip and then pass it to Sales, who was standing alone under the basket, so that she could make an easy layup and break the record...

Yeah, i remember that. That was totally stupid.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:49 PM   #34
SFL Cat
College Starter

While I do believe records were made to be broken, I'd have to agree that it was kind of classless to run-it-up against a clearly outmanned team.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:49 PM   #35
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat
While I do believe records were made to be broken, I'd have to agree that it was kind of classless to run-it-up against a clearly outmanned team.

technically they were outwomened
Old 02-02-2006, 01:50 PM   #36
SFL Cat
College Starter

SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:57 PM   #37
KevinNU7
College Starter

Quote:
"It's an amazing thing when an individual does that," said Cavaliers star LeBron James, who was told about Prince's performance Wednesday night after Cleveland beat New Jersey. "I don't know who she is, but maybe we'll see her in the WNBA. For that matter, the NBA."
Old 02-02-2006, 01:58 PM   #38
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNU7

Lebron is a Mimbo.

Last edited by rkmsuf : 02-02-2006 at 01:58 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:17 PM   #39
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry

Good article (if a little overwrought at times -- a sportswriter trying too hard to be literary). Thanks for posting the link, Huckleberry.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:23 PM   #40
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
It would have been funny if she stumbled when she got the ball and they called her for traveling.

Alas, another missed UIC moment in real life...
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:39 PM   #41
molson
General Manager

I never understood this kind of thing - do high school kids (or even younger kids) really fell embarassed and sad when they lose by 50 instead of 20 because the other team kept trying? I never felt like that. If you're running a race, and you're losing badly, does it make you feel better if the leader slows down so you don't lose by as much? Wouldn't that be even more embarassing?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:50 PM   #42
Zippo
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson
I never understood this kind of thing - do high school kids (or even younger kids) really fell embarassed and sad when they lose by 50 instead of 20 because the other team kept trying? I never felt like that. If you're running a race, and you're losing badly, does it make you feel better if the leader slows down so you don't lose by as much? Wouldn't that be even more embarassing?
I agree with that myself. I think the embarassment is more so on the spectators, the school, the fans, the parents and whatnot, rather than the athletes themselves. Like molson mentioned, I personally think it doesn't matter either way, losing by 20 or 50; both are equally embarassing to the athletes, especially when the other team isn't even trying.

Last edited by Zippo : 02-02-2006 at 03:51 PM.
Zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:32 PM   #43
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Yes they do. That is why you see things like hard fouls and cheap-shots/fights toward the end of blow-out games. People can accept being beat, but nobody likes to be shown up or mocked while they are being beat. Once the outcome is decided, the winning team should stop pressing, stop running the break and shift to a half-court offense. Even better would be to pull all of the starters and give the bench players some playing time.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:42 PM   #44
Joe
Pro Starter

lol
Old 02-02-2006, 05:45 PM   #45
Vince
Pro Starter

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo Article
"It's nothing against Epiphanny," Springer told the newspaper. "I have great admiration for her. This was an adult decision. Why would you do this against a team like ours?"

Springer said her team, which has won only four league games this season, stopped playing defense in the second half.

"She didn't earn this," Springer told the Post. "It was like picking on a handicapped person."

While I agree wholeheartedly that the girl should never have been in the game to score that many points, isn't this response by the other coach rather childish?
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:48 PM   #46
Joe
Pro Starter

maybe if they didn't stop playing defense in the second half they could've held her under 100. what are you suppossed to do when a team stops playing? dribble around in circles?
Old 02-02-2006, 05:58 PM   #47
Poli
FOFC Survivor

When I'm getting spanked in a game and my opponent attempts to run the score up, regardless of game or sport, I go into protect mode.

I'll skate with puck back and forth and in circles. I'll run the football and the clock over and over. I'll waste as much time as I can and foul every one of my players out in basketball.

My goal is no longer to win. It's to keep you from winning by as much as you want.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:33 PM   #48
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Some day, her parents will have another Epiphany and realize that it may not have been such a great idea not to consult a dictionary before naming their child.

On the score thing, as a player I always felt it stunk to have a clearly superior team run up the score. I remember a team trying to put 100 on us in college intramurals - which is pretty damned difficult with a 30-minute running clock. They happened to be the JV basketball team for our college (I transfered to Michigan from a Division III school) - what they were doing playing intramurals was mystifying.

One of my teammates got pissed off when we were down, 98 to about 20, and decided to contest this guy's dunk - not that he could have even touched the rim himself. Long story short, this 6-foot-8 JVer had his college career ended on the play. It was a pretty ugly scene. They did get their 100 right in the end, though, so I guess they won. It didn't feel good seeing him around campus the rest of the year in a soft cast, but at the time it happened I remember thinking, briefly, that he deserved it.

Any coach who uses a mismatch like that to pad the stat sheet should be removed immediately.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 06:45 PM   #49
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

No. You can accept defeat. And you can accept someone being better than you. That's what happens sometimes, you get your ass kicked.

But when a team is intentionally trying to run up the score, trying to pad a players stats, trying to set records. . . it's a ridiculously pathetic form of sportsmanship. As an athlete, you get it. You aren't as good as they are. You can't stop em and they are better.

And you also know when the score gets to 30+, you aren't coming back. And at that point, the other team should have the brains to call off the dogs. What the coach did was disgraceful.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:01 PM   #50
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
On the score thing, as a player I always felt it stunk to have a clearly superior team run up the score. I remember a team trying to put 100 on us in college intramurals - which is pretty damned difficult with a 30-minute running clock. They happened to be the JV basketball team for our college (I transfered to Michigan from a Division III school) - what they were doing playing intramurals was mystifying.

One of my teammates got pissed off when we were down, 98 to about 20, and decided to contest this guy's dunk - not that he could have even touched the rim himself. Long story short, this 6-foot-8 JVer had his college career ended on the play. It was a pretty ugly scene. They did get their 100 right in the end, though, so I guess they won. It didn't feel good seeing him around campus the rest of the year in a soft cast, but at the time it happened I remember thinking, briefly, that he deserved it.

Any coach who uses a mismatch like that to pad the stat sheet should be removed immediately.

In my final intramural game ever of my intramural career (7 years, I made it last ), we were obviously the better squad. At half, it was 48-30. Some of the newer guys on my team wanted to run the score up to 100, and kept playing hard. I stopped playing offense, and simply played defense. It really pissed off the other team, and I was quite disappointed that the guys on my team would do such a thing. But since I had been around the college a while, most of my good friends had left, and we had to pick up some new guys to field a team.

A shot at the buzzer gave us a 101-52 win. I still wish we would have missed that shot.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote