Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-09-2006, 10:49 PM   #1
Blade6119
Coordinator

Pink Panther: The Least interesting movie ever?

Im not a big steve martin fan, so maybe others care...but i am in utter disbelief that this movie was made...does anyone actually want to see this thing, or even feel steve martin looks funny in the preview?
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html

Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:54 PM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I generally like Steve Martin, but that movie looks like a steaming pile of shit and I can't believe they would attempt it, given Peter Sellers' brilliance in those movies. It's like the worst of both worlds - horrible choice for remake AND done in Y2K movie formula style (Beyonce? Good Lord...).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:03 PM   #3
Izulde
Head Coach

Steve Martin is overrated and this has bomb written all over it.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:08 PM   #4
Ksyrup

It doesn't really matter who they put in that role. The idea itself was bad, and the previews suggest the execution is even worse.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-09-2006, 11:09 PM   #5
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I agree. This movie will bomb. It was a stupid idea. They tried to do a couple of Pink Panther movies post-Sellars and they all bombed. Big time. This one will be no different. The franchise is dead, has been for years, and MGM (now Sony) should have left it as such. The movie was supposed to be released last year, which is always a bad sign.

I worked on the (European) antitrust aspects of the the Sony-MGM deal and MGM (and their lawyers) kept making a big deal about the Pink Panther movies and what a strong franchise it was, especially with the new film due to be released. I shook my head in disbelief every time.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:15 PM   #6
Ksyrup

Roger Moore was pretty bad in one of the sequels after Sellers' death, as I recall.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:17 PM   #7
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
I generally like Steve Martin, but that movie looks like a steaming pile of shit and I can't believe they would attempt it, given Peter Sellers' brilliance in those movies. It's like the worst of both worlds - horrible choice for remake AND done in Y2K movie formula style (Beyonce? Good Lord...).

I agree with you. This isn't a remake that can benefit from modern effects or anything like that. The originals were so good, there is no way this movie can offer anything over it.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:20 PM   #8
SFL Cat
College Starter

While I loved the original Peter Sellers' movies (at least the earlier ones) and I generally like Steve Martin, I have absolutely NO desire to see this.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 12:20 AM   #9
Izulde
Head Coach

I need to pick up the movie collection to make my set complete. I get $10 off it too cuz I bought the Pink Panther Cartoon Collection

Old 02-10-2006, 12:39 AM   #10
Vince
Pro Starter

While I didn't think that this was going to be good or anything, I'm surprised you guys think it's going to be THAT bad.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 12:49 AM   #11
saldana
Pro Starter

i actually thought the one with roberto benginni as clouseau's son wasnt awful, but i have no desire to see this because of the beyonce factor...the steve martin part i could deal with, but not her.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:09 AM   #12
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

It looks so bad, that weighed against level of expectation....it might be good.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:14 AM   #13
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
It looks so bad, that weighed against level of expectation....it might be good.

You may have a point there. That's what happened to me with Zathura.

Old 02-10-2006, 01:20 AM   #14
IwasHere
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde
I need to pick up the movie collection to make my set complete. I get $10 off it too cuz I bought the Pink Panther Cartoon Collection
This is about the only good I see comming out of this movie.

I will now be able to pick up the DVD box set of Pink Panther Movies.
IwasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 04:49 AM   #15
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I wouldn't watch the movie if someone paid me to watch it. My life is too valuable.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:16 AM   #16
rkmsuf
Head Coach

"And starring Beyonce Knowles..."

That's all you really need to know.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:28 AM   #17
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I couldn't be less interested in it.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:31 AM   #18
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
I couldn't be less interested in it.

Why not?
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:36 AM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The Beyonce thing is a bad idea IMO, but otherwise, I thought the movie looked fairly interesting. I'm not planning to rush out & see it or anything, but it looked more interesting & worthwhile than 95% of the movies released in the past year.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:38 AM   #20
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'm with the majority here -- it looks dreadful, is totally unnecessary, and almost HAS to bomb.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:45 AM   #21
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
The Beyonce thing is a bad idea IMO, but otherwise, I thought the movie looked fairly interesting. I'm not planning to rush out & see it or anything, but it looked more interesting & worthwhile than 95% of the movies released in the past year.

The Beyonice thing also shows just how long this film has been delayed. Beyonce was added to the cast back when she was considered the "It" girl. She was everywhere. It's been a while know snce Beyonce was all over the place, mainly because she hasn't released anything (I think) for sometime. While having Beyonce in a film is never a good idea it looks even worse during a decline in her popularity. She's fallen off the map a bit (though there's no doubt she can reclaim her popularity once she does something new).
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-10-2006, 08:49 AM   #22
QuikSand
lolzcat

This looks like a great candidate for a wager. Unless the line has been set awfully low, I think I'll take the under, and bet it hard.

Last edited by QuikSand : 02-10-2006 at 08:50 AM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:10 AM   #23
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Pink Panther: The Least interesting movie ever?

Did you see the ad for The Shaggy Dog during the Super Bowl?

As for the remade Pink Panther, when I first heard about this I was like everyone else: Why make this? And I generally like Steve Martin, but I don't understand this move. I might see it when it comes out on DVD, but for now I'll stick with Peter Sellers and the original franchise.
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:21 AM   #24
Ksyrup

It's not even the fact that Beyonce is in it, it's the idea that someone like her had to be added to the movie in order for it to fit the Y2K movie model that makes it such an easy pick for awful movie. On top of that, neither Steve Martin nor any other actor could do the Clouseau part justice. They ran out of juice toward the end of Sellers' career with this franchise, so the idea that it could be picked up at this point, with these people, with the kinds of crapola movie script ideas floating around Hollywood in 2006...bad, bad, bad.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:25 AM   #25
Butter
Coordinator

I really don't get Steve Martin's career... parts of it I love (like "Bowfinger" and hosting the Oscars), parts of it are just unfathomably bad (like Cheaper by the Dozen 2 and now this).

Who is his agent and do they know what they're doing?
Old 02-10-2006, 10:17 AM   #26
waltwal
H.S. Freshman Team

and these people feel that they should be running the government.

i wonder if anyone thought of the idea of letting steve martin or another comedian come in and create a whole new inspector clouseau instead of imitating peter sellers' take on clouseau.

what really bugs me is that hollywood has absolutely no idea of how to make a good movie but they are convinced that they should be the intellectual and cultural leader of the country.
waltwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:29 AM   #27
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltwal
what really bugs me is that hollywood has absolutely no idea of how to make a good movie but they are convinced that they should be the intellectual and cultural leader of the country.

Yes, damn that Schwarzenegger.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:30 PM   #28
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I consider myself a Steve Martin fan, but I can't think of anything good he's done in the last ten years.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 12:40 PM   #29
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
I really don't get Steve Martin's career... parts of it I love (like "Bowfinger" and hosting the Oscars), parts of it are just unfathomably bad (like Cheaper by the Dozen 2 and now this).

Who is his agent and do they know what they're doing?

Bowfinger is among the absolute worst movies I've ever seen.

Old 02-10-2006, 12:42 PM   #30
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

Gotcha sucker!
Old 02-10-2006, 12:47 PM   #31
waltwal
H.S. Freshman Team

it seems that success as a comic actor leads to the idea that the next step is serious acting which leads the actor away from what made them popular in the first place. steve martin and jim carrey made some of the most stupid movies i have ever seen and i laughed all the way thru them. jim carrey, in particular, has gotten away from what people liked about him in the first place.

can u imagine how dull life would be if the 3 stooges had decided to become serious actors? i am sure i have seen everything they have ever done 465 times- and i still watch them and laugh.

steve martin just got to the point where after years of mediocre movies he decided to take a chance on what may have looked like a good idea. but i still say that the first mistaken premise of this movie was to imitate peter sellers rather than a fresh approach to inspector clouseau.

by the way i recall reading that when it first screened last year it was so unfunny they had to pull it and refilm or re-edit the movie.
waltwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 12:52 PM   #32
cuervo72
Head Coach

Really from the previews it looks like Martin is basically playing a bad parody of Sellers...I'm sure that's not what they intended, but the slapstick just looks way over the top. "Hey look at this, watch me fall right now, whee!" (I mean, I *know* PP is supposed to be slapstick, but it just looks very badly executed). I'd much rather watch "The Inspector" segments on Boomerang.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:53 PM   #33
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
jim carrey, in particular, has gotten away from what people liked about him in the first place.

And has only gotten better .
Old 02-10-2006, 12:58 PM   #34
Butter
Coordinator

They get away from doing what got them liked in the first place because I don't know about you, but if I were one of these guys, I would be sick of being cast in the same role all the time (as Carrey and Martin were early in their careers... the crazy, manic comic lead).

What Martin NEEDS to get away from is saying yes to a truckful of money.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:58 PM   #35
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

I love Kevin Kline, tolerate Steve Martin, and enjoy Jean Reno. If they switched Kline and Martin's parts, made Reno a bad guy, replaced Beyonce with some no-name face... and stopped marketing it so over-the-top... then MAYBE it would be tolerable. As it is, Johnny English is probably my favorite of this type of movie done in the last 20 years.

Regards,
Chas
Old 02-10-2006, 02:20 PM   #36
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

This (and some of the related discussion to Martin's film choices) caught my eye so I got curious.

I went and looked him up at rottentomatoes.com
(FTR, I'm not a big fan of the site or anything, I just knew it existed because it gets mentioned here from time to time & knew it would probably have a decent sized backlog of entires about him)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/p/steve_martin/

Pink Panther/2006 - 24%
Shopgirl/2005 - 62%
Cheaper..Dozen II/2005 - 7%
Bringing Down the House/2003 - 34%
Looney Toons: BIA/2003 - 24% *(not sure whether this should count or not)
Cheaper .. Dozen/2003 - 24%
Novacaine/2001 - 36%
Joe Gould's Secret/2000 - 66% *(brief appearance by Martin)
Out-of-Towners/1999 - 20%
Bowfinger/1999 - 82%
Spanish Prisoner/1998 - 89%
Sgt. Bilko/1996 - 26%

So what it looks like to me is that:
a) Martin should avoid remakes (Bilko was horrific, and Out-of-Towners looked even worse)
b) Martin may actually be better at picking/appearing in dramas instead of comedies at this point in his career
c) His highest rated films since 1989's Parenthood are those in which he was also the screenwriter (current PP not withstanding). Seems like maybe he has a good script in him about every 5-7 years & the rest of the time he's just trying to earn a living/keep working.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:38 PM   #37
Recoil
High School Varsity

Quote:
jim carrey, in particular, has gotten away from what people liked about him in the first place.

ISiddiqui is right. Carrey has only gotten better all the while choosing different parts than the stupid humor he originally was famous for. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a good example. Although way out there from his previous roles, he was great in that movie.
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 02:46 PM   #38
moriarty
College Starter

I think two of Steve Martin's best films were Roxanne and Spanish Prisoner ... neither of which he played the over the top comedian for with that's worth. Although he did have a damn big nose in Roxanne.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 02:46 PM   #39
thetrilogy
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwasHere
This is about the only good I see comming out of this movie.

I will now be able to pick up the DVD box set of Pink Panther Movies.

Be careful: "THE RETURN OF THE PINK PANTHER" is not part of the 6 DVD collection. And that is probably the best one.
thetrilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 05:59 PM   #40
Flame Eater
H.S. Freshman Team

My wife and I watched "THE PINK PANTHER STRIKES AGAIN" the other night. I laughed so hard I thought I was going to puke in my popcorn. The apartment fight scenes with his man servent Kato are CLASSIC!
Flame Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:45 PM   #41
Ksyrup

I liked Parenthood, Roxanne, and LA Story. I'm on the fence about that movie where he played a fake healer. I don't think i've seen any of the others over the past 10 years or so.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:03 AM   #42
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Leap of Faith is one of my favorite Steve Martin movie. He had a chance to play the over the top character, but also had other, darker dimensions to the characters as well.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:28 AM   #43
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetrilogy
Be careful: "THE RETURN OF THE PINK PANTHER" is not part of the 6 DVD collection. And that is probably the best one.

I disagree - I find "A Shot in the Dark" much more entertaining and funny than "The Return of the Pink Panther". But opinions are a dime a dozen.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:20 AM   #44
IwasHere
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Eater
My wife and I watched "THE PINK PANTHER STRIKES AGAIN" the other night. I laughed so hard I thought I was going to puke in my popcorn. The apartment fight scenes with his man servent Kato are CLASSIC!
Kato is freaking great.

Anyone know if Kato makes this new movie?
IwasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 03:50 PM   #45
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The American public have answered the question posed in this title with a resounding "NO!" Apparently this is not the least movie ever.

This just goes to further prove the decades old Mencken quote: "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movi....ap/index.html

'Pink Panther' finds plenty of green at box office
LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Inspector Clouseau bumbled his way to the top of the box office as Steve Martin's "The Pink Panther" debuted with $21.7 million to lead a rush of new releases.

New Line's horror sequel "Final Destination 3" ran a close second with $20.1 million, followed by Universal's animated "Curious George" at No. 3 with $15.3 million and the Warner Bros. thriller "Firewall" starring Harrison Ford in fourth with $13.8 million, according to studio estimates Sunday.

The overall box office rose slightly despite the Winter Olympics and a Northeast snowstorm, both of which kept many movie-goers at home. The top 12 movies took in $106.8 million, up 3 percent over the same weekend last year, when "Hitch" opened as the No. 1 movie with $43.2 million.

After a slump in which attendance dropped 7 percent in 2005, Hollywood is off to a better start this year. Revenues are at just over $1 billion, up 8 percent from last year's. Factoring in higher ticket prices, attendance has risen 5 percent, according to box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations.

Sony's "The Pink Panther" stars Martin in the role defined by Peter Sellers, whose French detective Clouseau was the idiot-savant hero of a string of 1960s and '70s comedy hits by Blake Edwards, who continued the franchise into the '80s and '90s after Sellers' death.

The remake drew a broad audience, with parents and their children accounting for 51 percent of the crowds and viewers evenly divided between those older and younger than 25.

"It was just all over the place, kids, parents, teenagers. We had everybody," said Rory Bruer, head of distribution for Sony, which inherited "The Pink Panther" from MGM in a Sony-led takeover last year.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:43 AM   #46
Desmond
Banned

Doesn't Martin currently spend most of his time now writing more serious books and plays? I think he tends do shit like this and CBTD to support his other stuff, which he probably puts about 1000% more energy into.
Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:18 AM   #47
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think the fact that PP was advertized heavily on nick, and was part of the nickelodeon pictures banner had to be the main reason it did so well.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:27 AM   #48
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Inspector Clouseau bumbled his way to the top of the box office as Steve Martin's "The Pink Panther" debuted with $21.7 million to lead a rush of new releases.
And yet, according to at least one forum member, this is a clear sign of both its quality and artistic merit, and should thusly be awarded.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:04 PM   #49
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths
And yet, according to at least one forum member, this is a clear sign of both its quality and artistic merit, and should thusly be awarded.

Not one of those guys, nor have I seen or will go see the movie. . . but the dollars make a difference. No matter how they did it, 21+ million for that flick on an opening weekend is huge.

it looks like it'll end up making the studio money by the time it's done, and at the end of the day, that's all that really matters for a movie like this. (it certainly wasn't made as an Oscar contender)

Not sure how the hell this happened, but it has and I'm OK with it. Always liked Steve Martin. Won't be one of the flock to see this, but I can think of worse things than him succeeding.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:17 PM   #50
Ksyrup

I bought the original at Sam's Club Friday night for less than $10 and watched it that night. Great stuff. It was made in 1963. Claudia Cardinale...never heard of her, but she was smokin' hot in 1963, boys. Robert Wagner with a head half the size of Ted Kennedy's is something I never thought I'd see, either.

There wasn't as much Peter Sellers as I remember from some of the sequels - David Niven was top bill - but it was still highly entertaining. Much better than this version, I think I can safely say without even seeing this one.