Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-27-2003, 01:01 PM   #1
Bee
Pro Starter

Mooch as a Lion?

Anyone surprised?

Last edited by Bee : 01-27-2003 at 02:06 PM.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 01:02 PM   #2
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

No. I heard it on ESPN Radio a Minute ago too .
Old 01-27-2003, 01:06 PM   #3
Bee
Pro Starter

I'm glad to see it. I like him as a coach and am glad to see him still in the league instead of as a analyst or something on TV. It will be interesting to see what he can do with team that bad.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:17 PM   #4
TLK
Pro Starter

Just got back and read about it on yahoo. This is a great day.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 01:18 PM   #5
couriers

Finally the Lions front office does something right for a change. Hopefully they will listen to Mooch because you know he is going to have great ideas for turning them into a winning team. Tis a good day for Detroit fans.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:20 PM   #6
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

ESPN is now saying Morninweg is fired, but supposeduly Mariucci hasn't been contacted yet....

interesting.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 01:21 PM   #7
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

ESPN is reporting that Mariucci hasn't even been contacted. But to fire Mornihweg, I assume they have someone in mind. I hear Wayne Fontes is looking for a job...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 01:22 PM   #8
rkmsuf
Head Coach

something about Mariucci in Det doesn't seem right. I just can't picture it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a year off since he's due big bucks this year and then angle for a higher profile job...Miami perhaps.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:32 PM   #9
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I would not be surprised if the Lions have fired Mornhinweg without having contacted Mooch. They are a freaking joke. First they publicly back Mornhinweg and then, less than a month later, they turn around and fire the guy?

Make no mistake, saying that they would keep him, sending him down to the Senior Bowl, and all that was the first mistake. A big one. He was 5-27. He was a joke. He should have been fired. But to do an about-face (see: Johnny Morton) like this and just fire the guy is a disgrace. It shows a lack of vision, loyalty, strategy, everything. This kind of thing has become the hallmark of the Matt Millen Era. For shame...
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 01:34 PM   #10
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Honolulu_Blue
I would not be surprised if the Lions have fired Mornhinweg without having contacted Mooch. They are a freaking joke. First they publicly back Mornhinweg and then, less than a month later, they turn around and fire the guy?

Make no mistake, saying that they would keep him, sending him down to the Senior Bowl, and all that was the first mistake. A big one. He was 5-27. He was a joke. He should have been fired. But to do an about-face (see: Johnny Morton) like this and just fire the guy is a disgrace. It shows a lack of vision, loyalty, strategy, everything. This kind of thing has become the hallmark of the Matt Millen Era. For shame...

They probably kept him just for the senior bowl. It's a failry large scouting advantage over other teams, and has often benefitted teams who get to see these players up close and actually coach them before deciding whether or not they'd like to draft them.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 01:34 PM   #11
Ksyrup

Maybe they've worked out a deal where they send 2 #1's, 2 #'s, and $8 Million to Mariucci's wife in exchange for his rights. It worked for TB last year, didn't it?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-27-2003, 01:35 PM   #12
Bee
Pro Starter

I'd say it will happen, even if it isn't announced today at the press conference. Mooch loves coaching and I don't think he wants to sit out a year. ESPN did the same thing with the Parcells hiring and it turned out to be true. I'd guess either Mooch is already with the Lions or close enough that they are sure he'll sign on.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:36 PM   #13
rkmsuf
Head Coach

they definately must have someone in mind or else Millen defies definition.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:38 PM   #14
Ksyrup

It would be funny if they forced Millen to can Marty, then hire Mooch to fire Millen and take both of their places.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:53 PM   #15
Schmidty
Coordinator

Wooohooo!!!!

I don't even care if they hire a chimp to coach the team. Anyone could do a better job than Smarty Mornhinweg!!!

Look out world, the Lions are on their way back to mediocrity!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2003, 01:55 PM   #16
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Right now, he's not even been contacted.
I doubt he ends up going there, this year...but the NFL is so unpredictable these days that the truth of one day is not the one of the following.
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 01:58 PM   #17
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by rkmsuf
something about Mariucci in Det doesn't seem right. I just can't picture it.

He is a Michigan native (the U.P.), although he grew up as a Packer fan. He's great friends with Tom Izzo (they were old teammates). and has lots of ties to the area. He'd have a young QB to groom, the 2nd pick in the draft, and a decent salary cap situation. Why not?
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 02:01 PM   #18
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally posted by Schmidty
Look out world, the Lions are on their way back to mediocrity!!!!!!

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 02:03 PM   #19
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
He is a Michigan native (the U.P.), although he grew up as a Packer fan. He's great friends with Tom Izzo (they were old teammates). and has lots of ties to the area. He'd have a young QB to groom, the 2nd pick in the draft, and a decent salary cap situation. Why not?

I'm not sure. In spite of getting San Fran back from salary cap difficulties quickly I'm not sure I regard him as a 'builder' per se. I'm not sure either Millen or Mariucci are great evaluators of talent.

He may be great but his inability to make it happen in San Fran for whatever reason doesn't bode well for the situation in Det. Seifert was a big disappointment in Carolina and I'd prefer Maricucci with a team looking to get over the top.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:03 PM   #20
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkiller
Right now, he's not even been contacted.
I doubt he ends up going there, this year...but the NFL is so unpredictable these days that the truth of one day is not the one of the following.

He's not been contacted according to "sources" close to him. I don't know how much weight I'd put into second hand info when it comes to this kinda stuff.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:33 PM   #21
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

How bizarre. The Lions have always been good for entertainment.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 02:39 PM   #22
ctmason
High School JV

I can't think of any other reason to fire Marty unless they are going after Mariucci.

Millen should quit, he's in way over his head.
ctmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 02:45 PM   #23
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by ctmason
I can't think of any other reason to fire Marty unless they are going after Mariucci.

I can:

5 wins - 27 losses.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:49 PM   #24
bbor
Pro Starter

Bring Mooch back to SF..PLEASE

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 02:53 PM   #25
ctmason
High School JV

My point was that I couldn't think of any other reason to fire him AFTER saying he was going to return.
ctmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 03:02 PM   #26
Bee
Pro Starter

So, Millen says he spoke to Mooch after he was let go by SF and wants to speak with him again. I think the job is probably his if he wants it.

I would guess that's why they changed their mind on firing Mornhinwig...perhaps Mooch indicated he'd be interested if the job came open?
Old 01-27-2003, 03:11 PM   #27
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by rkmsuf
.He may be great but his inability to make it happen in San Fran for whatever reason doesn't bode well for the situation in Det.

He didn't really have a chance. The 49ers were on the way down when he got there (lots of old vets in their final seasons and the salary cap problems), and haven't yet had time to build the depth they need to make it to the top since coming out of cap hell. They were pretty much where a good coach should have had them in the rebuilding process. Overall, even with the problems with Owens and whatever there may have been to the rumors of friction with Walsh and Donahue, he presided over the rebuild pretty smoothly. I don't know about him as a GM/head coach, but I think he would be great coach for young club.

Last edited by clintl : 01-27-2003 at 03:12 PM.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 03:12 PM   #28
Schmidty
Coordinator

From the press conference, one gets the impression that Mooch is already the coach, but because of the NFL minority hiring requirements (which are a joke), nothing can be announced until Millen goes through the motions of interviewing minorities first (which is wrong).
Old 01-27-2003, 03:26 PM   #29
detroit_fan
H.S. Freshman Team

THANK GOD!!!!!!!! BRING ON THE MOOCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2003, 03:28 PM   #30
Bee
Pro Starter

That's a good point Schmidty. Even if Mooch had agreed to come onboard, they couldn't make the announcement until they go through the "interview process" required by the league.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:29 PM   #31
jamesUMD
High School JV

I agree that the minority hiring process is a joke and I think with Mooch's ties to the Michigan area he'd be dumb to not take the job. Weren't the Lions 7-9 the year before Morningweg took over. I think Marriuci would like to prove SF wrong for firing him and he can't do that from a broadcast booth. Once the initial shock has worn off, I think he wants to coach again and this is about the only available position left barring another late firing. I wonder if Tom Coughlin has had his agent contact the Lions yet????
Old 01-27-2003, 03:34 PM   #32
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Just to toss something else out to discuss....

What if it's not Mooch they're looking at, but rather someone from either the Bucs or the Raiders?

Since teams aren't allowed to talk to coaches during the season, is it a coincidence that this anouncement came the day after the Super Bowl?

Just something to ponder
Old 01-27-2003, 03:36 PM   #33
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

It was assumed that the Bucs Defensive Coordinator would be getting the 49ers job.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 03:47 PM   #34
Bee
Pro Starter

In the press conference, it really sounded like Mooch was their first choice. They didn't come out and say that, but it really sounded like it to me.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:11 PM   #35
Ksyrup

I just hope Mooch does not = Seifert.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:26 PM   #36
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I think Mooch would do fine in Detroit...he'd probably get by just on his name for a while, they have no expectations as a team, one just hopes their QB's heart issue is fixed...
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 05:21 PM   #37
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Lions were actually 9-7 the year before M&M took over. They were a 53 yard field goal away from going10-6 and making the play-offs. That's how far they have fallen...

To be fair. Their talent base was old and their defense (which is horrible) was decimated by injuries: They basically lost their starting middle linebacker (Stephen Boyd), both starting safeties (Ron Rice/Kurt Shulz), and starting cornerbacks (Fair/Westbrook) to injury over that period. The first three were career ending.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote