Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: What do you think about Ipods?
They are essential. I have 3. 17 34.00%
They are decent, but nothing better than a Lyra or something similar. 17 34.00%
They are overpriced, buggy, and/or stupid. 11 22.00%
Julio is to Asshat as Ipod is to Fish in the Ass. 5 10.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2006, 08:16 AM   #1
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Post BREAKING NEWS!! What does this board think of Ipods?

What is the consensus on Ipods here?

I happen to think theyre overcomplicated and ridiculously tedious to use, when I can just plug in my Ilo mp3 player and copy the mp3s onto it as if it were a harddrive, then listen to the songs. No extra software and 1 GB of memory for 90 bucks, plus an expansion slot for flash memory, compared to a shitload of headaches and constantly having to update for the same price or more?

What the hell made ipods so damn popular?

FUCK EA

Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:17 AM   #2
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols
Ease of use, and probably how good the iTunes software is. I use iTunes at home to manage my music (over 16,000 songs) and I think it's outstanding software.

I own a creative labs MP3 player (60 gig), but if/when it ever quits on me, I will certainly buy an ipod. Being able to easily sync up your collection, easily transfer playlists, etc are huge pluses.

Well, actually the real answer is marketing. Apple has been relentless in marketing the iPod and downloads through iTunes. I think like the early days of AOL, most people are obvlious to the fact that there are actual alternatives.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:17 AM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

How can a question be breaking news?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:18 AM   #4
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
What is the consensus on Ipods here?

I happen to think theyre overcomplicated and ridiculously tedious to use, when I can just plug in my Ilo mp3 player and copy the mp3s onto it as if it were a harddrive, then listen to the songs. No extra software and 1 GB of memory for 90 bucks, plus an expansion slot for flash memory, compared to a shitload of headaches and constantly having to update for the same price or more?

Julio - do you know anything about an iPod? Your post makes me think you don't. You stated that it is overcomplicated?! All you do is load up iTunes, plug your iPod in, and you're done. The interface of the iPod itself is VERY simple and considered to be top of the line. As for space, you said you get 1gb for $90. You can get 30 gigs for $300. Not sure where the price comparison fits.

Anyway. I think you need to actually use and experience an iPod, as your statements do not fit the iPod at ALL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:20 AM   #5
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
Julio - do you know anything about an iPod? Your post makes me think you don't. You stated that it is overcomplicated?! All you do is load up iTunes, plug your iPod in, and you're done. The interface of the iPod itself is VERY simple and considered to be top of the line. As for space, you said you get 1gb for $90. You can get 30 gigs for $300. Not sure where the price comparison fits.

Anyway. I think you need to actually use and experience an iPod, as your statements do not fit the iPod at ALL.

I believe his ease of use comment was with regards to how other mp3-players interact with computers. Most other mp3-players do not require any special kind of software, i.e. iTunes, but instead show up on your computer as an external HD.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:20 AM   #6
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
See this thread: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=47631
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:21 AM   #7
KWhit
Coordinator

I love my 30gig iPod. Best purchase I've made in a long time. I would never be happy with 1gig of space. Just not enough room for me. I prefer to have my entire music library (or thereabouts) on my player and not have to move songs on and off every time I want to listen to some new stuff. It also makes listening to something on a whim that I haven't heard in a while very easy if I have everything already on the player.

A Couple of other things:
With iTunes, the process of getting songs onto the device is very easy, and it's easy to manage podcasts as well.

I'm also glad I got the video version, because some of the video podcasts and TV shows are pretty enjoyable for when I travel.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:22 AM   #8
Ksyrup

To answer the question, I did a ton of research when I bought my Zen Micro last summer and found a general consensus that (a) ipod has, by far, the best accessory options; (b) if you use itunes, an ipod is a must; and (c) in terms of the actual quality of the machine, ipod is more of a fashion statement than a high-end player. The Zen Micro was rated better on the factors that meant more to me. And since I just upload my own CDs and don't use itunes, I saw no reason to get an ipod.

That's my quicky summary/$.02.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-02-2006, 08:23 AM   #9
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder
I believe his ease of use comment was with regards to how other mp3-players interact with computers. Most other mp3-players do not require any special kind of software, i.e. iTunes, but instead show up on your computer as an external HD.
But what's easier, and one-time installation of iTunes, or constantly having to drag-and-drop your new additions onto your player?

Not to mention I feel I need something at home to organize my music anyway, and iTunes does an amazing job. Automatically being able to track stuff like my Top 40 played songs, auto-create playists of one genre of music, drag and drop playlist creation, being able to search any artist, album, composer instantly.

Like I said initially, i don't own an ipod, but iTunes alone has sold me on one for my next purchase.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:23 AM   #10
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army

That's not news, that's not breaking news, that's...a question.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:24 AM   #11
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
I love my 30gig iPod. Best purchase I've made in a long time. I would never be happy with 1gig of space. Just not enough room for me. I prefer to have my entire music library (or thereabouts) on my player and not have to move songs on and off every time I want to listen to some new stuff. It also makes listening to something on a whim that I haven't heard in a while very easy if I have everything already on the player.

A Couple of other things:
With iTunes, the process of getting songs onto the device is very easy, and it's easy to manage podcasts as well.

I'm also glad I got the video version, because some of the video podcasts and TV shows are pretty enjoyable for when I travel.

FWIW, I bought an iRiver (cheesy name I know) 20GB two years ago and I'm very pleased. Not only does it work just as well as any iPod I've encountered, it also has FM/AM radio, recording possibilities and uber customization possible, but it also works as a "regular" USB-HD when connected to my computer.

I've often used the mp3-player as a portable HD to bring videos, software and documents over to a friend's house and even to work. Great stuff.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:28 AM   #12
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I was going to ask that myself. Maybe he meant Breaking Wind.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:30 AM   #13
QuikSand
lolzcat

iPods are very cool, and you can't put a price tag on that. So says Mrs. Q, and so say the American people, other than the Betamax crowd.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:30 AM   #14
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
But what's easier, and one-time installation of iTunes, or constantly having to drag-and-drop your new additions onto your player?

Not to mention I feel I need something at home to organize my music anyway, and iTunes does an amazing job. Automatically being able to track stuff like my Top 40 played songs, auto-create playists of one genre of music, drag and drop playlist creation, being able to search any artist, album, composer instantly.

Like I said initially, i don't own an ipod, but iTunes alone has sold me on one for my next purchase.

Exactly.

I'm not going to try and sit here and argue that the iPod is "the best". But to say there is an ease of use issue with it is absurd imo.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 03-02-2006, 08:31 AM   #15
Ksyrup

It's a transferred joke from the other ipod thread. I'm afraid to keep posting here, or I'll inadvertently become part of the next werewolf-type thread trend here and feel ashmaed of myself for contributing to it.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:31 AM   #16
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
this dates back to a recent post by jbmagic. It appered he simply cut and pasted an apple press release or something, but the topic had a BREAKING NEWS: before it.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:31 AM   #17
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I have an ipod. I like it. The only thing I wish is that I had known that Apple's music format was propriatary (sp?) when I burned all of my CDs through iTunes. Had I realized that, I would have converted the music into MP3s.

I imagine that, if I ever decide to get something other than an iPod, I'll find some hack to convert the songs into MP3s.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:32 AM   #18
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:

I tried iTunes as a musicplayer for a while (for my computer that is) and didn't like the soundperformance.. I lacked the audio-control I have in Winamp and eventually went back to Winamp.

As far as drag-and-drop goes, it's not big deal to me. I fill up my mp3-player with everything I have and if I get a new album I just send it over to the mp3-player then. I don't need iTunes to keep track of which albums i have on the mp3-player since I can do that there.

Obviously it's a matter of preferences, you have yours, I have mine.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:33 AM   #19
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Well, I got my 40 GB iPod free last year, so I have nothing to complain about at all.

I did find that it was useful on a couple of transatlantic trips last fall. No CDs to change, and I didn't have to pull out my laptop to listen to music.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:33 AM   #20
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

worst poll ever.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:34 AM   #21
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Its true, I have little experience with Ipods, but the one Ipod I have ever dealt with was a friend of mines.. An Ipod shuffle.

Here's the story.

I install all the required software for the Ipod, update it, and then find out I have to copy all my song files into Itunes.. I figure no biggie, this is probably very similar to RealJukebox or a program like that.

So the files get transferred, etc.. I go to add the songs to the Ipod, by using the "fill Ipod from Library" option. Well, this takes a short while, so I anticipate the songs have been added, and they will play just fine, but when we hook headphones into the Ipod after disconnecting it, we turn it on, and there isnt a song to hear.

Anyway, after a long 5 hour fight with the program and the Ipod, I get it all set up right, and finally, it works.

We set the Ipod to play the songs randomly and in repeat mode.

So, anyway, after a week of listening to her Ipod at work, my friend has a complaint. Of the 80 plus songs we put on her Ipod, only about 50 of them actually seem to be on there. Well, come to find out, despite their presence on the Ipod, the songs simply weren't being played by the random/repeat function. This annoys me, but I figure its a slight drawback to an otherwise very small and useful little gadget.

Well, a week later, we try to load some new songs onto the Ipod.

We sync it up, load the songs, and everything seems to be peachy.

But then, hours later, the Ipod stops working. Fully charged battery, etc.. It just stops working.

After 6 hours of trying to uninstall and reinstall Itunes, the Ipod, etc.. Searching forums for those who have had similar troubles, etc.. I simply decide I would much rather pay the same price I paid for my expandable Ilo player that she paid for her 512MB Ipod and simply deal with the little extra bulk and non proprietary software requirements.

And thats the short version.

FUCK EA
Old 03-02-2006, 08:34 AM   #22
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
worst poll ever.

Seriously.

No point voting with these options.

Quote:
Old 03-02-2006, 08:36 AM   #23
Ksyrup

Quote:

That only makes sense if you want to use itunes as your player/organizer, etc., though, right? I guess I use my hard drived-music differently than most people. I've never had the urge to create playlists or use a program to catalog my collection. When I want to hear something, I just open Windows Explorer, go to the Music folder I created, find what I want, and play it in WinAMP. Dragging and dropping is quite easy, and with direct uploads from a disc, I don't have to do anything - Creative's software does it all.

So, there may be easy of use if you buy into the itunes system, but otherwise, to someone like me, it's a tremendous pain in the ass.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:36 AM   #24
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
As far as drag-and-drop goes, it's not big deal to me. I fill up my mp3-player with everything I have and if I get a new album I just send it over to the mp3-player then. I don't need iTunes to keep track of which albums i have on the mp3-player since I can do that there.

I don't own an iPod, not sure if that was clear earlier. So I do have to do the drag-and-drop thing all the time. It's a serious pain in the balls after a while. Not to mention every few months it gets to the point where what is on my player and what is on my computer are two different things due to me deleting stuff off the computer, adding stuff to the computer and forgetting to add it to the player, etc.

If I had an iPod, the collections would always mirror each other. For someone who uses an MP3 player as often as I do (4 hours a day, minimum) the ease-of-use factor is gigantic. Also, I love creating playlists, and right now I have no way of transporting them from iTunes to my non-iPod.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:36 AM   #25
Ksyrup

Quote:
I tried iTunes as a musicplayer for a while (for my computer that is) and didn't like the soundperformance.. I lacked the audio-control I have in Winamp and eventually went back to Winamp.

OTM
Old 03-02-2006, 08:37 AM   #26
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
That only makes sense if you want to use itunes as your player/organizer, etc., though, right? I guess I use my hard drived-music differently than most people. I've never had the urge to create playlists or use a program to catalog my collection. When I want to hear something, I just open Windows Explorer, go to the Music folder I created, find what I want, and play it in WinAMP. Dragging and dropping is quite easy, and with direct uploads from a disc, I don't have to do anything - Creative's software does it all.

So, there may be easy of use if you buy into the itunes system, but otherwise, to someone like me, it's a tremendous pain in the ass.

Exactly my point.. add to that that I was disappointed in the soundperformance in iTunes as compared to WinAMP and I had no real reason to use iTunes (I have my stereo connected to my computer).

Old 03-02-2006, 08:38 AM   #27
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Apologies for the shitty poll, you nitpicking bastards..

Edit: forgot to let everyone know I was joking.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 03-02-2006 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:40 AM   #28
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Maybe I'm nuts, but I don't always know what I want to listen to. While I listen to albums on my commute, I listen to "party shuffle" for about 75% of my home listening. It's a great way to mix things up, or to stumble across something I haven't listened to in a while. I'm sure my computer would explode if i tried to drag 16,000 songs into winamp and play that on shuffle.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:40 AM   #29
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Apologies for the shitty poll, you nitpicking bastards..

Edit: forgot to let everyone know I was joking.
If you don't want to hear serious opinions, why have the thread at all?
Old 03-02-2006, 08:41 AM   #30
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
If I had an iPod, the collections would always mirror each other. For someone who uses an MP3 player as often as I do (4 hours a day, minimum) the ease-of-use factor is gigantic. Also, I love creating playlists, and right now I have no way of transporting them from iTunes to my non-iPod.

I might have missed something here, but what's the capacity of your current mp3-player? I've got 20 GB and I've yet to run into any storage problems (thus I have no need to remove/add albums very often).

Despite running the player at an average of 4-5 hours a day at work, I probably only connect it to my computer like once a month tops, and then it is to simply transfer a new album over or something.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:42 AM   #31
Ksyrup

Quote:

Makes sense. For me, the need to constantly revise what's on my Zen Micro is a given. They haven't made an MP3 player big enough to hold my hard-drived collection of music, let alone my entire collection, so there's no point in me trying to do what you'd want to do. I have maybe 60% of my capacity filled with stuff I'll never delete, and the other 40% is either stuff I feel like listening to at the moment or new stuff I've just gotten.

Maybe 5 years from now, we''ll have the hand-held 750GB MP3 player, and if I exclude my bootleg collection, uploading everything I have will be a possibility. Maybe. At this point, though, it's just pick and choose.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:42 AM   #32
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Maybe I'm nuts, but I don't always know what I want to listen to. While I listen to albums on my commute, I listen to "party shuffle" for about 75% of my home listening. It's a great way to mix things up, or to stumble across something I haven't listened to in a while. I'm sure my computer would explode if i tried to drag 16,000 songs into winamp and play that on shuffle.

This will be a dola

I have at least 10000 songs in Winamp and shuffling works great.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:43 AM   #33
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
I might have missed something here, but what's the capacity of your current mp3-player? I've got 20 GB and I've yet to run into any storage problems (thus I have no need to remove/add albums very often).

Despite running the player at an average of 4-5 hours a day at work, I probably only connect it to my computer like once a month tops, and then it is to simply transfer a new album over or something.
I have a 60gig player, and I *have* run into storage problems. I recently went through my collection and deleted a bunch of stuff, and still have less than 1 gig of free space.

I add about 3 albums a week to my player on average, and i would say I connect my player about once every 2 days or so.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:45 AM   #34
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
If you don't want to hear serious opinions, why have the thread at all?

I know, man, thats what I am saying.. I thought the poll would be a nice little addition, so people could put their support of one or the other in writing, but turns out, it was a detraction.

So I apologize for the poll, but I am really enjoying the difference in opinions I am getting as far as what people think about Ipods and their counterparts.

FUCK EA
Old 03-02-2006, 08:46 AM   #35
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
That's not news, that's not breaking news, that's...a question.
See Post #7
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:46 AM   #36
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

I have 20gb Creative Zen Touch. Before that I had a 40Gb Creative Zen Xtra. Ipods do not appeal to me because there are comparable products that do the same thing for less. Ill admit the form factor and smaller size is cool but it just seems like everyone is overpaying for name alone. Im very satisfied with the Creative products I've used.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:47 AM   #37
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

And I really want Ksyrup to list every single song he has in his collection. Just for fun.

FUCK EA
Old 03-02-2006, 08:49 AM   #38
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
I have a 60gig player, and I *have* run into storage problems. I recently went through my collection and deleted a bunch of stuff, and still have less than 1 gig of free space.

I add about 3 albums a week to my player on average, and i would say I connect my player about once every 2 days or so.

Well then obviously my previous point goes; it's a matter of preference.

I simply don't like iTunes for stated reasons and I prefer having my mp3-player show up as a HD.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:50 AM   #39
Ksyrup

Quote:

Well, it's hard for me to compare my listening style to yours since the vast majority of what I listen to is on CD, rather than an MP3 player. I only use my MP3 player on trips, occasionally around the house, or when i'm going somewhere and know I'l'l have some downtime (like tonight, when I take my daughter to gymnastics).

But in general, each week I pick out a stack of CDs to listen to for the week that I take with me in my car. I think I probably have a 24 or 32 capacity case that I take with me. Every morning, I have a pretty good idea of what I want to listen to for the day. Occasionally things will hit me and I'll deviate from my initial thought, but otherwise, I just stick with my gut feeling from the morning. And I always, ALWAYS listen to albums straight through. Even within one artist, I rarely shuffle or mix and match CDs. I just don't listen to music that way. Whether its CD or MP3, that's always been the way I do things.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:53 AM   #40
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Well then obviously my previous point goes; it's a matter of preference.

I simply don't like iTunes for stated reasons and I prefer having my mp3-player show up as a HD.

And I agree with this. Different strokes for different folks. I just think that the initial statements were way over the top negative against the iPod. I think you can say it doens't fit your needs, but to say, "compared to a shitload of headaches and constantly having to update for the same price or more" is just silly.

Quote:
Old 03-02-2006, 08:53 AM   #41
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

This place is.. Abuzz this morning.

FUCK EA
Old 03-02-2006, 08:56 AM   #42
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I was a bit terse as well. My apologies to those who are on the fence.. My opinion is based on one very bad experience with the Ipod Shuffle, and is probably in no way representative of the majority of Ipod users opinions, good or bad.

I should be a little more tactful next time I think, and not post on blind rage like I think I must have.. haha..

FUCK EA
Old 03-02-2006, 09:09 AM   #43
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Did somebody fart?

FUCK EA
Old 03-02-2006, 09:13 AM   #44
MJ4H
Coordinator

You guys do realize ipods show up as an external hard drive, too, right?
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:15 AM   #45
Anthony
Banned

Quote:

mine does. i have a Lyra. my wife got it for me. and it has a built-in FM tuner, which is a must-have for me.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:18 AM   #46
Passacaglia
Coordinator

It's all about the white headphones.

I don't know. I've been happy with my 40GB RCA Lyra. Recently, lurker got an 60GB iPod Video, and she really likes it. I haven't been too impressed with iTunes, and it seems like it's causing us a lot of problems if we want to transfer files from mine to hers. But hers plays videos, which seems really cool.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:19 AM   #47
Anthony
Banned

Quote:

this is exactly what i do. playlists are for analy retentive people who feel the need to organize every single aspect of their life. i, on the other hand, will listen to music when i have the urge to hear a song. when i open up my music folder to play the song i want i browse through my collection and select any other song that catches my eye.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:20 AM   #48
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman
You guys do realize ipods show up as an external hard drive, too, right?

But, if I remember right, that mode is seperate from the music mode, isn't it? Don't you have to set it to that mode to use it as such?

FUCK EA
Old 03-02-2006, 10:17 AM   #49
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
this is exactly what i do. playlists are for analy retentive people who feel the need to organize every single aspect of their life.
One of your dumber statements (in a long line of dumb statements).
Old 03-02-2006, 10:27 AM   #50
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Despite the fact that you like the Bungles, I'll give you props for the whole "BREAKING NEWS!!!" thing Julio.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote