Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-13-2006, 09:39 AM   #1
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

OT: monitor/video card help

One of the reasons I love FOFC is that no matter what kind of techincal question I (or others) seem to have, someone out there has the answer. So here goes.

Dell is currently running a deal on their UltraSharp 2001FP 20" monitors. I would love to upgrade to an LCD and get rid of my crappy CRT. The only issue now is my 5 year old video card which is a nVidia GeForce2 MX 400. From some web hunting it appears that this card will support the 1600x1200 resolution but only at 8-Bit 256 color. Should I also just junk the video card and upgrade that as well? If so any thoughts as to what video card I should be looking at?

Thanks.

dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:43 AM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
It depends. If you are set on running the native 1600X1200 res, then you are definitely going to need to upgrade your card. As for a card to recommend, it all depends on what you want to spend. The other constraint you might have is finding an AGP video card these days, as most everything now is PCI express.

There is another option, if you don't mind 800X600. LCD panels look their best at their native resolution, but they also work well at half native resolution. Any other combination, and they look blurry and crappy.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 10:00 AM   #3
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Ok that sounds good. AGP video card I think I can remember that. I really am in it for the 1600x1200 so it looks like a new video card for me. Thanks Cartman.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:04 AM   #4
wade moore
lolzcat

Since the thread is sitting right here...

I just got my new PC today... It's from DELL and has a 19 "inch analog LCD Monitor...

It appears to me that about the bottom half of the screen has a slight pink tint to it. I only notice on white, not like the windows blue or anything. Someone suggested to me that I may just not be used to looking at an LCD monitor, which is quite possible.

Has anyone seen this phenomenae or have any idea how to address it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 10:11 AM   #5
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
Since the thread is sitting right here...

I just got my new PC today... It's from DELL and has a 19 "inch analog LCD Monitor...

It appears to me that about the bottom half of the screen has a slight pink tint to it. I only notice on white, not like the windows blue or anything. Someone suggested to me that I may just not be used to looking at an LCD monitor, which is quite possible.

Has anyone seen this phenomenae or have any idea how to address it?

I'd double check the cable connections at the monitor and the computer. Sometimes a loose connection can cause this. That definitely doesn't sound normal.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:20 AM   #6
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieflatline
I would love to upgrade to an LCD and get rid of my crappy CRT

CRT's still give superior picture, btw.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:11 PM   #7
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Fair enough, but the LCD is actually going to fit on the desk and be 20" big. I'm having some trouble with the Dell coupon right now so it is going to have to wait until I can call them tonight.