Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-07-2006, 05:56 PM   #1
SackAttack
Head Coach

Ping: Los Angeles-area FOFC contingent

I'm planning on catching the Dodgers/Giants game this Saturday. Thought I'd see if any of the local FOFCers want to make a little get-together of it.

SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:15 PM   #2
Pyser
Pro Rookie

I dont know that I can make the 3 mile commute from Silver Lake
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:25 PM   #3
digamma
Torchbearer

My sister is flying in on Saturday. Don't know what time her flight gets in yet--I could be a maybe...
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:26 PM   #4
SackAttack
Head Coach

Game's a 1:10pm, if that helps.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:12 PM   #5
SackAttack
Head Coach

Just keeping this near the top 'til I get an idea of how many, if any, are gonna join the fun.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:14 PM   #6
clintl
College Starter

Go Giants!
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:53 PM   #7
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintl
Go Giants!

""""""""""""""""""""""""".
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:02 AM   #8
SackAttack
Head Coach

Hey, you guys are welcome to join us in watching the Giants lose, but I just thought it'd be more fun for any Dodger fans we've got on the board.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:30 PM   #9
SackAttack
Head Coach

Bueller? Bueller?
Old 08-08-2006, 02:27 PM   #10
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
Hey, you guys are welcome to join us in watching the Giants lose, but I just thought it'd be more fun for any Dodger fans we've got on the board.

Right, but don't they have to stick around past the 7th inning to see an actual victory ?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:00 PM   #11
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Right, but don't they have to stick around past the 7th inning to see an actual victory ?

The 7th-inning phenomenon is really overrated. I go to a handful of games each year, and I've only seen a mass exodus once since Gagne won the closer's job back in, what was it, 2002? That was with the Dodgers trailing by something like 7 runs late.

If the game is close, you still have people who'll leave early, but it's a far smaller number.

As far as the folks who do leave early regardless of circumstances, I think they really can be distilled down to a handful of groups, but here's my bet as to the most common reason: the kid-factor. Ever been to a Dodger game? Kids everywhere. Some of them are school-age, some of them are younger than that.

Now, I realize that San Francisco, being the G&L capital of the world, probably doesn't have that concern.

But yeah, there are parents who don't want to sit in the parking lot for an hour and a half after the game with fussy children in the backseat. And yeah, Dodger Stadium's parking lot is probably the most poorly-designed mass parking facility I've ever seen, so I can empathize with the desire even though I don't have kids myself. The fact that they leave early doesn't mean they're not real fans. It does mean that they're having to bend to the realities of having children.

You know, I went to a Cardinals game in the old Busch Stadium. Its location made it easy to just walk up to the stadium, and if you had to park, there were parking structures in the surrounding city. I don't know how common that is for other parks in urban settings (I've not been to Pac Be -- I mean SBC -- I mean AT&T Park, although I'd like to go someday), but it's certainly not the case at Dodger Stadium. You've got about 12 lots surrounding the stadium, all of them feeding into a single road that encircles the stadium, and people driving like madmen all over the parking lot to zip ahead of other folks who are trying to exit.

Yeah, I'd rather everybody stay 'til the end, but I can understand not wanting to risk an accident with your kids in the car. There's no place I'd rather watch a baseball game than Dodger Stadium.

There's no parking lot I'd like to exit from less than the Dodger Stadium parking lot.

I mean, yeah, I get it. Some Dodger fans leave early. Har, har. You're a paragon of original humor. But, you know, I guess you have to be when your team hasn't won a championship in 52 years, huh? (See? I can trot out the tired zingers, too! )
Old 08-08-2006, 04:33 PM   #12
DanGarion
Coordinator

I work Saturdays, sorry won't be able to make it...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:24 PM   #13
digamma
Torchbearer

I'm probably a Saturday morning decision--my sister is flying standby so I won't know what flight she's on until that day.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:52 PM   #14
SackAttack
Head Coach

digamma, I had planned on picking up the tickets for anybody who goes, and they can pay me back at the stadium, so we'd all be in the same section.

Did you want me to snag one as a just-in-case, or are you going to handle your own if you can go?
Old 08-09-2006, 12:37 AM   #15
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

It's a shame I am working Saturday, otherwise I might check this out. I'm an Angels fan, but I don't mind the Dodgers, and it would be fun to meet some of you other LA-based FOFCers.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:44 PM   #16
SackAttack
Head Coach

This can't be all we've got.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:29 PM   #17
fjvieane
Mascot

Sorry son has basketball. So can't make it.

BTW - Sylmar, CA here
fjvieane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:38 AM   #18
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
It's a shame I am working Saturday, otherwise I might check this out. I'm an Angels fan, but I don't mind the Dodgers, and it would be fun to meet some of you other LA-based FOFCers.
I'm in the same boat as far as working on Satties. Hope y'all have fun, though.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:07 AM   #19
digamma
Torchbearer

I'm looking like I'll be out as well. Nice idea, though.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:14 AM   #20
MrBug708
Head Coach

Gotta work on Saturday as well Joshie. Went last night though and probably the reason for the streak ending. Saw LL Cool J and Eva Longoria. Beats the stars at theGiants games; Lance Bass and Rosie O'Donnell
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:58 PM   #21
SackAttack
Head Coach

Gonna go ahead and order my ticket, then. Anybody who decides to go can PM me and we'll arrange some kind of a meetup.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:21 AM   #22
SackAttack
Head Coach

I ended up settling for the infield reserve behind home plate instead of the pavilions. I realized, shit, this is a 1:10 pm game and I'm not gonna sit in the sun all game long if I might be the only one there anyway.

Just info for anybody who's either thinking about going or definitely going and hasn't bought a ticket yet.