Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-26-2006, 09:43 AM   #1
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

PC Technology Person (knowing more than the tech at work)

Ok, I'm sure some of us have been in a similar situation: You have someone at work designated as the "technological guru" who can pass their CPU BS over on most people, but when it comes to you, it just wont fly. It seems like this person makes so much crap up, and when I try to subtlety call this person out, they get defensive and fire back with "well, it's just not that simple." I am not saying I know it all, but c'mon! This is a joke! I'm sick of things going in one ear and out the other with these people...only to, 20 minutes later, revert back to what I was saying all along (in some cases).

1. My IE kept giving me an error message as SOON as it loaded up. I restarted the CPU twice, nothing. I call the tech person and they come in. To me it seems like something needs to be reinstalled (after all, I am running Windows 98-puke). The tech person, bewildered, decides to tell me that they believe the problem is that my homepage is set to Yahoo.com. What!?!? This is obviously a problem with the web browser or the CPU itself and *should* have no bearing on what my homepage is. Now, if my homepage was some crazy off-the-wall website maybe I'd bite. However, this is such a stab in the dark IMO, and the way this person carries themselves when saying it drives me crazy lol! "Hmmm (clueless)...Oh, you have your homepage set to Yahoo...Yahoo is notorious for causing browsers to crash." You have got to be kidding me. Is this really true? I'm just not buying it.

2. You know when you connect a camera to your CPU, this time using Windows XP, and you get those little pop-up windows in the bottom right hand corner? I have always been the one to, as soon as those windows pop up, to close them out (impatient...bored...etc). Correct me if I am wrong, but I always thought that those were simply messages informing me of what was going on, sort of like the annoying pop-ups in Word. Anyway, the tech person is watching me use a lab CPU with a camera connected and I start closing out all of the dialogue boxes. The tech freaks out at me and says that I am aborting the install of the hardware/software or whatever. Total BS in my opinion, because the camera still connects anyway and works properly (it does everytime and I use these on a daily basis). The tech begins to tell me that this has been a huge problem that *they* have been trying to correct (sky is falling). Again, I'm not a paid tech professional, but I've used a CPU enough to know that this is total paranoia. Besides, with XP, if you were "x-ing" out of something you'd get some kind of warning message. The autorun/autoplay/install abillity of XP is going to install the hardware as long as the device stays connected properly.

Thoughts? I know I probably sound nuts and impatient and maybe I am, but it happened yesterday, I'm still hot, and I thought I would post anyway. Maybe I'll at least get a good laugh out of a response or someone will prove to me that I am in the wrong and my tech is omniscient. Thanks for letting me waste 5 mins of your life ;-)

Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:02 AM   #2
Logan
Head Coach

Most Accurate. Parody Thread. Ever.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote