Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-12-2003, 05:30 PM   #1
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

ping: Big-12 Football fans

For those that have paid attention to Big-12 football recently, I'm curious what your impressions are of Gary Pinkel as coach of Missouri?

dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 05:46 PM   #2
sooner333
College Starter

I think he's leading the program in the right direction, unlike Smith. Mizzou played OU tough last year and are lucky to be in the North division, where they can move to the top quicker. I'm not sure if Mizzou will ever be a BCS team, but at least he can prove himself to a level where he can use it as a stepping-stone job to move to a higher power who lost a coach.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 09:29 AM   #3
bertogarce
Mascot

Pinkel brought in a very good recruiting class last week. One of the things that struck me most about the class was the fact that Pinkel convinced some of the better players in the state of Missouri to stay home. There's a lot of talent in Missouri. If Pinkel can continue to close the borders, he has a shot to build a solid program at Mizzou.
bertogarce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 10:09 AM   #4
TroyF
Coordinator

Really good coach. I like what he's doing with the team. I don't think he's going to catch CU or KState this year, but I wouldn't be shocked at all to see them finish 3rd in the Big12 North this year and go bowling.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 01:27 PM   #5
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks for the replies.

It's pretty likely that Rick Neuheisel won't retire at the UW - he'll either get fired for not performing up to expectations, or he'll be successful enough to land an NFL job where he won't have to worry about a million NCAA rules or an openly hostile coaches association.

Gary Pinkel and Chris Tormey were seen as the top candidates for the UW job after Jim Lambright was fired before Barbara Hedges revealed her surprise candidate in Neuheisel. Both Pinkel and Tormey had long coaching stints as assistants at the UW, both had worked under Don James, both were regarded as strong recruiters, and both were well-thought-of, organized, classy guys. Unfortunately for them they weren't splashy names, and Hedges wanted to make a big splash with her football hire, which she's gotten in spades with Neuheisel.

Assuming that Neuheisel moves along sometime in the near future, it's likely that both Pinkel and Tormey will again be top candidates for the job, so consider this a bit of pre-emptive scouting by a Husky fan.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote