Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-30-2006, 02:36 PM   #1
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Bowl Bound open beta 1.47

I figured I would give this its own thread as the other is more for overall feedback. This is an open beta all all existing owners are welcome to try. Here's the feature list. You can get more features and on this thread:

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum...ad.php?t=18451

Quote:
1. Fixed more timeout issues (esp on defensive side).
2. Fixed ranking email error where national ranking was repeated.
3. Fixed PBP issues involving QB keepers and other issues.
4. Fixed some penalty logic on things like personal fouls on fourth downs and other situations.
5. Fixed a wierd repeating pop-up that happened on the gameplan screen when you put in over 100% for something.
6. Fixed a newly inflicted error that introduced some JC guys as freshmen.
7. Updated the poll logic based on feedback.
8. Major overhaul on the option offense. Updated all AI gameplans to favor more runs, changed the engine logic to include more QB keepers. You will need to advance to camp in your game to see the changes though.
9. Improved AI use of offensive gameplan. Going into each camp the AI will setup specific gameplans based on their offense type. Then, at each matchup during the season, the AI will do a better job at choosing its gameplan based on injuries, opponent, opponent's tendencies and its own play success rate. The AI also does more with the play information data collected for every team on every play.
10. IMPORTANT USER NOTE - The 4 stock gameplans will be changed before camp and when you change your offense in camp to reflect the team's new offense. If you want a specific gameplan that will never change, make sure to create a new gameplan outside of the 4 stock ones. User created gameplans will not be changed.
11. Added an "oldschool bowl" method. If you go into the "bowlGames" table in the pstats.dat and set the GDCS field to 0 for all bowl games, the AI will not use the GDCS to set any games. Instead, it will rely exclusively on the conference matchups specified in the table. If you wish to use this, make sure to fill in the proper conference matchups for the current GDCS games or it may not work. After the bowl games are played without the GDCS fields, the national champion will be the team rated number 1 by the Coaches Poll. In this setup, the GDCS controls nothing and is only a guide.
12. Improved the multiplayer import process. it should be more informative for commishes and not skip teams when a failed import occurs.
13. IMPORTANT MP ADDITION - Starting in version 1.47, when a user exports his file for use in an MP league, all of his AI settings are also passed in the file. So, if Team1 has Academics set to "CPU run", his exported team file will have that information. This will allow each MP owner to tailor the AI useage much like a SP game without any help from the commish. Also, when a user loads the main save from the commish, his options will still be there meaning no need to change them after the first time for future exports. The commish will still have the ability to set the team to be "AI run" for a certain period like normal (ie, an owner goes out of town or leaves). But, this should help both the commish and individual owners manage their tasks.
14. Improved special teams selection involving injured players. Now, the AI will be less likely to recommend a questionable player that you may be sitting for health reasons.
15. Improved SOS impact on prestige for lower teams. Now, if you are a lower team that schedules tougher opponents, you will get treated differently when it comes to the impact of your record on prestige than someone who just schedules a bunch of patsies for an extra win. This is based on the logic that more marquee opponents means more national exposure (which helps prestige). It's not an enormous impact, but it's enough to make people consider scheduling atleast one good team when you are a smaller school.

Just like last time, I would recommend backing up any saves you use in the event something happens. This version should be pretty stable, but it is still a beta version so there may still be some issues. If you run into anything, please email me directly at [email protected]. Thanks again to everyone checking this out!

Also, do NOT switch from 1.46 or 1.47 back to 1.1 and then back to 1.46(7). This can corrupt your save as I have tried to make the update process seemless for 1.1 owners by adding certain things to the save on the fly. Switching back and forth may cause the game to think you need something that is already there (and it will cause errors that I cannot fix).

You can get it here:

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/downl...BUpdate147.exe

Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Hey Arlie, there any chance a "load/save depth chart" option can be implemented in this patch cycle? And while I'm thinking about it, e-mail notification when a player is back to 100% healthy would also be extremely nice.

By the by, the stability of 1.46 is a dramatic improvement over the last "live" version, at least for me. Played quite a few seasons with the beta patch and haven't had one crash. Nice work.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 10-30-2006 at 03:25 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:14 PM   #3
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Let me see what I can do on the injury email. The depth chart option would be tough at this stage.

Thanks for the feedback and I think people will really like this version - esp those who haven't tried the game in a while.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:16 PM   #4
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Let me see what I can do on the injury email. The depth chart option would be tough at this stage.

Thanks for the feedback and I think people will really like this version - esp those who haven't tried the game in a while.

Will the demo be updated to reflect the latest version once the beta is done? I wouldn't mind giving it a try again.
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:25 PM   #5
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:

No worries. They are really related things to me (somewhat). I continually have a problem of forgetting about players when injured and (to a lesser extent) suspended. They'll have a out/doubtful for a few weeks, and I'll often not realize they are ready to come back till well after they are okay. Being able to resurrect my opening day depth chart in the middle of the season would be the best case scenario, but a notification a player is fully healed will help a lot, I think.

And yeah, I'm definately enjoying the changes, after a long long long hiatus from the game.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 10-30-2006 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:27 PM   #6
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Arlie, this may be a tough question to answer, but do you anticipate the "release version" of the patch to be just like this beta patch? I'm itching to play BBCF again after shelving it right after release. If you expect more features to be added before the actual patch, I'll try to wait. Otherwise, I'll just roll with the beta patch.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:27 PM   #7
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
Will the demo be updated to reflect the latest version once the beta is done? I wouldn't mind giving it a try again.
Yeah, once the full version goes live I will work on updating the demo. It will include a full season (camp, season, offseason) with all the new features/changes.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:28 PM   #8
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Arlie, this may be a tough question to answer, but do you anticipate the "release version" of the patch to be just like this beta patch? I'm itching to play BBCF again after shelving it right after release. If you expect more features to be added before the actual patch, I'll try to wait. Otherwise, I'll just roll with the beta patch.
1.47 is going to be pretty close to the final release. It's already evolved a little further than I anticipated from a feature standpoint and think it's a solid improvement. So, feel free to try that version but please understand it is still a beta.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:32 PM   #9
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
1.47 is going to be pretty close to the final release. It's already evolved a little further than I anticipated from a feature standpoint and think it's a solid improvement. So, feel free to try that version but please understand it is still a beta.
Very cool. I'll jump into the game, and I won't complain about it if I run into a "beta-type" problem.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:47 PM   #10
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Very cool. I'll jump into the game, and I won't complain about it if I run into a "beta-type" problem.

Coming from someone who experienced crashes prolly once a season or so in the last version, I can at least say with confidence it shouldn't explode on you.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:00 PM   #11
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Yeah, once the full version goes live I will work on updating the demo. It will include a full season (camp, season, offseason) with all the new features/changes.

That is very good news. Also, if I understand correctly, existing owners of the game will get this update free of charge? If so, I have to say I'm impressed. With the amount of changes you are making, many other companies would have charged their normal "upgrade" fee.

I wish now I would have purchased it last year
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:00 PM   #12
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Yeah, the update is free of charge. I've really enjoyed developing this game and a lot of the recommendations people have made really improve the game. Plus, by improving BBCF I've been able to implement some things I was hoping to do in the pro game.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:13 PM   #13
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I am looking forward to your Pro game so much, Arlie! Good luck with getting it done as soon as possible with as few problems as possible!
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:23 PM   #14
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
I am looking forward to your Pro game so much, Arlie! Good luck with getting it done as soon as possible with as few problems as possible!

Ditto. Love BBCF and also look forward to the pro game.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:13 PM   #15
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Yeah, the update is free of charge. I've really enjoyed developing this game and a lot of the recommendations people have made really improve the game. Plus, by improving BBCF I've been able to implement some things I was hoping to do in the pro game.

Since you brought up the Pro Game, do you plan on having the option to export/import college players from BBCF into the pro game as the rookies?

I'm enjoying BBCF a lot and also look forward to the pro game.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:15 PM   #16
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
Since you brought up the Pro Game, do you plan on having the option to export/import college players from BBCF into the pro game as the rookies?

I'm enjoying BBCF a lot and also look forward to the pro game.
Yeah, that will be an essential part of both games.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:20 AM   #17
Capital
High School Varsity

Arlie,

Thanks for the update and I know its late in the process, but is there any chance of just having a playoff for the 8 GDS teams (6 conf champs and 2 at large)? IMO, that's the way it should have been done this last few years in the real college football game.

It's a shot in the dark but I thought I would ask.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:52 AM   #18
st.cronin
General Manager

I don't suppose there's any way of making overtime optional. Yes, I like ties.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:57 AM   #19
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I don't suppose there's any way of making overtime optional. Yes, I like ties.

Commie bastard.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:57 AM   #20
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Commie bastard.

Yak-lover.

knives out
Old 10-31-2006, 09:12 AM   #21
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Yak-lover.

At least Yaks can't tie.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:53 AM   #22
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I don't like ties, but I hates me some overtime.

These features look cool, Arlie. After my exam on the 7th, I'll install this and get back into some BBCF. I'm looking forward to testing out oldschool bowls.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:32 AM   #23
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I haven't really followed the development of GD's games (or the predecessor company, for that matter), but am I correct that, with this beta update, the idea here is to provide continued "support" for this game and an early look at the new version of the game while the pro game is finished and released? In other words, if one were to consider purchasing BBCF, there isn't a new version on the horizon until the pro game is finished, correct?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:49 AM   #24
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I haven't really followed the development of GD's games (or the predecessor company, for that matter), but am I correct that, with this beta update, the idea here is to provide continued "support" for this game and an early look at the new version of the game while the pro game is finished and released? In other words, if one were to consider purchasing BBCF, there isn't a new version on the horizon until the pro game is finished, correct?
That's correct. My current dev schedule is to continue to provide support to the existing version of BBCF and work on BBPF (Bowl Bound Pro Football).
Old 10-31-2006, 11:50 AM   #25
Bee
Pro Starter

Is the pro game expected for the next football season or earlier than that?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:23 PM   #26
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
That's correct. My current dev schedule is to continue to provide support to the existing version of BBCF and work on BBPF (Bowl Bound Pro Football).

Good to know. Thanks.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:38 PM   #27
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Bowl Bound Pro Football? That's the name of it?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:53 PM   #28
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Yeah, that will be the name.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:31 PM   #29
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:

Was that so hard?

You'd think dev schedules were the secret plans to the Death Star around here...

Anyhow... thanks for the new patch, Arles. I'm taking a fresh crack at BBCF as a result.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:55 PM   #30
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Option Lovers out there, you need to try it out with this new patch. The option is playing much more realisticly for me. My FB is getting more carries, my QB is getting more carries. It seems the QB decision process was tightened up quite a bit and it "feels" more like the option.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 06:19 PM   #31
st.cronin
General Manager

I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that you could now invite recruits to visit during the season, except I can't figure out how to do that. Was it a dream, or did I read that somewhere?

knives out
Old 10-31-2006, 07:47 PM   #32
flounder
High School Varsity

Check your emails. You should get some every now and then from recruits wanting to visit.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:26 PM   #33
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Yeah, inseason recruiting is handled via email contact.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:22 PM   #34
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Do logo/graphics packs work with the new version?
Old 11-01-2006, 03:27 PM   #35
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Everything that works with 1.11 (including saves) should work with this version.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:34 PM   #36
Icy
Pro Starter

Good job Arles, the improvements are really great and the game is like a new version. Everybody should try it even if there were disappointed with the released version (that i was not). Thanks for all this free fixes and time devoted to them.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:35 PM   #37
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Good job Arles, the improvements are really great and the game is like a new version. Everybody should try it even if there were disappointed with the released version (that i was not). Thanks for all this free fixes and time devoted to them.
Icy, give us a link to your graphics pack, please.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:43 PM   #38
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Icy, give us a link to your graphics pack, please.

Here are the teams logos:
http://www.prodeportes.com/bb/icylogopack.zip

Here are the bowl logos:
http://www.prodeportes.com/bb/icybowllogos.zip

I had an auto installer with the logos and database updates for a real NCAAF universe but i think the database had changes after these patches so i prefer to not to put the link just in case it could create some crashes. Once the patch gets out of the beta stage i'll get ready a new updated auto installer.

Last edited by Icy : 11-01-2006 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:45 PM   #39
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Here are the logos:
http://www.prodeportes.com/bb/icylogopack.zip

I had an auto installer with the logos and database updates for a real NCAAF universe but i think the database had changes after these patches so i prefer to not to put the link just in case it could create some crashes. Once the patch gets out of the beta stage i'll get ready a new updated auto installer.

I used your installer just fine on the new version.

knives out
Old 11-02-2006, 10:11 AM   #40
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Here's the current list for 1.48:

1. Fixed turnover margin on Team Overview report.
2. Fixed TE award calculation error.
3. Improved poll logic for 4 and 5 loss teams in the top 25 and made losses count a little more in the top 15 (esp after bowl games).
4. Fixed the "No preference" issue in saving defensive gameplans.
5. Fixed a problem with the default OR offensive gameplan in the option sometimes having a case where the numbers added up more than 100%. You will need to go through camp for this to correct (or you can edit it in the game using the fix on the tech support thread).
6. "Team Recovery Report" sent via email each week where atleast one injured player is now 100%. Should help remind people to put these guys back in the lineup.
7. Fixed CPU "Suggest All" button sometimes assigning a negative number for adaptability in training.

Outside of some save issues I am looking at as well, did I miss anything for this update? I will try and get 1.48 out by tonight if nothing else comes up.

Last edited by Arles : 11-02-2006 at 10:11 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:47 AM   #41
Icy
Pro Starter

I like #6 a lot as sometimes i forget to put them back.

Old 11-02-2006, 10:47 AM   #42
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
The second zip file seems to contain the same images as the first zip file. Could you do a double-check on this, please? Thanks for your help!