Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-13-2003, 04:50 PM   #1
Blackadar
Retired

Command and Conquer: Generals

Anyone have it? The reviews are very good thus far.

Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 04:53 PM   #2
Superman=#54
High School Varsity

yea I would like to know how good it is. I'm a big fan of the C&C series. Please tell if it is worth buying.
Superman=#54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 04:55 PM   #3
Bee
Pro Starter

I believe cincyreds bought it. He had a thread a few pages back about it.

His basic review if I remember correctly was "It's awesome!"

Hope that helps.

Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 05:09 PM   #4
cincyreds
High School Varsity

Yeah I just Dola posted on it for those just learning that it is out and getting some very good reviews.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:26 PM   #5
Blackadar
Retired

Sounds good, but how "frantic" is it? One of the reasons I liked AoE is because it wasn't a clickfest.
Old 02-14-2003, 08:03 PM   #6
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I bought it while I was in Kansas City this week. I just got home and as soon as the kiddies are in bed, it's time to install. I have a feeling even though I am exhausted from a busy week and just getting in from Topeka, Kansas.. I might be up awhile.

That's great to hear it's getting good reviews!! I love this series.

Damn, been gone all week with no pc, kids are rejuvenated with my arrival, wife gets home from work soon and she's estacic I had roses delievered to her at work, and I have a ton of pc releated stuff to catch up on!

Maybe I'll just leave C&C Generals alone for the night.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 11:30 PM   #7
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm actually quitting so I can spend some time with my wife.

The 3D engine really makes the game seem realistic. I like zooming in on a battle and watching it close up. The game taxes the heck out of your system, I'm using 1024X768 and had to turn the details to medium to get rid of the 'jumpyness' when scrolling the map. This is with a P4 2gig, 384mb ram, and GeForce 4 64mb video card.

I'm using USA and the first two missions have been a mirror to what might happen if we invade Iraq. The units look incredible and the presentation is excellent. It's not really frantic if you use hotkeys to move units and hotbuttons to move to areas of the map where you have units. So far, I haven't had to do any of that, but I know the game gets more intense as it goes on.

I'm wondering if I'm only going to fight the GLA or is China going to get involved? I'll have to read a review to see if I'm missing any of the new features.

One thing, and it may be something I haven't learned yet, I hate is having to click on say you barracks to make soliders, I thought previous versions had pictures to click on to make it easier? Now, I have to scroll back and click on another building to build, say tanks.

So far, the game seems fresh and familiar at the same time.

Todd
Old 02-16-2003, 12:04 PM   #8
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

double dola!

This game just gets better and better, I'm really shocked at how good this game actually is. So far no problems... I'm at the point where China is teaming up with the GLA.

Anyone else playing? Who did you start with?

Todd
Old 02-16-2003, 12:07 PM   #9
Blackadar
Retired

Is it a clickfest?
Old 02-16-2003, 03:58 PM   #10
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackadar
Is it a clickfest?

It is for me.... for some reason I haven't read up on how to set hotkeys and the like. Actually, I've never used anything but the mouse.

Todd
Old 02-16-2003, 04:01 PM   #11
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by MizzouRah
It is for me.... for some reason I haven't read up on how to set hotkeys and the like. Actually, I've never used anything but the mouse.

Todd

I think he means do you have to be constantly very quickly clicking the mouse to win, or is there more strategy involved where you can take a little time.

Tarkus
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 06:54 PM   #12
Blackadar
Retired

Bingo Tarkus.
Old 02-16-2003, 10:00 PM   #13
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

So far a few missions have been quick on the mouse, but my last two missions have taken quite a bit of strategy.

Stayed up until 3am last night.

Todd
Old 02-16-2003, 10:09 PM   #14
Blackadar
Retired

Ok, is it faster or slower paced than Warcraft III?

I like Warcraft III for the story, but it's tough for me to keep up. The pace of AoE and AoK is easier. AoM is a bit fast for me as well.

I don't mind real-time, but I hate the clickfests. I want time to plan and coordinate an attack.
Old 02-16-2003, 10:21 PM   #15
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Never got into Warcraft.

My answer would be NO, you don't have to click until your fingers hurt. Building things take time, so clicking is minimal while you assemble and move your soliders around. Maybe I just like to take my time and build up my force before storming the enemy.

The game does seem to have many possible ways to go about completing a mission and that's a good thing.

Todd
Old 02-17-2003, 02:44 PM   #16
couriers

Question

Thanks to those offering their input so far. It is much appreciated.

Question: Is it build in masses then rush the enemy to overwhelm them to win each and every time or does the size of your forces have only so much affect on the outcome of missions?

Question: Is it build from scratch then finish the mission over the course of time after doing the same old stuff that you just did in the previous mission just to start from scratch again for the next mission or do you build and complete to move on from where you are currently at?

Thanks again.
Old 02-17-2003, 04:04 PM   #17
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Question: Is it build in masses then rush the enemy to overwhelm them to win each and every time or does the size of your forces have only so much affect on the outcome of missions?

Some are, some arent. I love to build 20 tomahawk missile tanks, then bombard a city, but some like to go in fast with minimal infantry. I'm sure in the higher missions, you will have to build mass amounts of armed forces.

Question: Is it build from scratch then finish the mission over the course of time after doing the same old stuff that you just did in the previous mission just to start from scratch again for the next mission or do you build and complete to move on from where you are currently at?

Yes and No. Missions vary, but the main objectives are to blow things up and most of the time you have to build a base, then tank, solider, etc.. You do move up in ranking though and gain higher technical skills.

Each mission is like a small game in itself, but on the whole working toward a final goal. If that makes any sense.

Todd
Old 02-18-2003, 07:06 PM   #18
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

How does infantry play a factor into the game ?
Is it mainly Armor combat or does the enemy like China throw in ''Hman Waves''
Old 02-18-2003, 10:54 PM   #19
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Well, playing normal level with the USA was too easy. Only 7 missions and I was left with that, "Is that it?" feeling. I guess I'll see how using China and the GLA are.

If making the game '3D' means playability for solo players goes down, I say go back to the '2D' game.

Hopefully China and the GLA have different missions.

Quote:
How does infantry play a factor into the game ?
Is it mainly Armor combat or does the enemy like China throw in ''Hman Waves''

Haven't really went up against China yet. The USA campaign is 7 missions long and primarily against the GLA. My guess is the GLA is up against China and China against the USA?

Right now, I'm a little disappointed in this game as far as substance goes. I know multiplayer is what the game was designed for, but like sports sims, I'm a solo player. I was hoping to go up against China after eliminating the GLA. (scratches head)

Oh and I didn't use infantry that much. I would build up lots of laser tanks or Choppers.

Todd

Last edited by MizzouRah : 02-18-2003 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:56 PM   #20
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

That's a big reason I didnt buy the game .
Because of the mainly Multi play aspect. I really enjoy just playing the game vs the PC .
Another thing that bothers me is that thinking militarily....you need a combined force of Inf and Armor .
If it were all armor in real life they would get chewed up by Inf.
Israel learned it hard vs. Lebanon in 1982 .....Well I guess thats just the Military geek in me .
Old 02-19-2003, 12:18 AM   #21
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Hmm, this game looks pretty interesting. Is there a demo? It doesn't look that way, but thought I'd ask.

Tarkus
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 09:53 AM   #22
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I haven't seen a demo mentioned yet.

cs,

Exactly, Red Alert was more challenging. I have read that China and the GLA are much harder, so I will tackle those next. There has to be more to the game than this.

I just hate having 5 choppers sit in one spot because that's where the enemy keeps sending troops to attack me. The AI just seems the same as previous versions, and that's a disappointment to me.

Todd