Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-21-2003, 03:51 PM   #1
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

4th and goal from the two...

...down by 4 in the 4th quarter with 0:01 left on the clock. You're playing against the 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers defense.

What play do you run, and which players (all-star, active or not) do you use?

= = = = =

Just as one possibility, I'd run an I-formation, play-action waggle to the offense's left side. Off the snap, Steve Young wheels and fakes right to Christian Okoye (in his prime) out of the fullback position, while tailback Barry Sanders dashes right. Young then rolls left on the waggle, and throws high and outside for TE Kellen Winslow, who has chipped his block and then headed for the corner.

Last edited by WSUCougar : 02-21-2003 at 03:52 PM.
WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 03:54 PM   #2
primelord
Pro Rookie

Re: 4th and goal from the two...

Quote:
Originally posted by WSUCougar
Just as one possibility, I'd run an I-formation, play-action waggle to the offense's left side. Off the snap, Steve Young wheels and fakes right to Christian Okoye (in his prime) out of the fullback position, while tailback Barry Sanders dashes right. Young then rolls left on the waggle, and throws high and outside for TE Kellen Winslow, who has chipped his block and then headed for the corner.

Heh screw that.

Just give it to the 1993 Emmitt Smith behind the 1993 Cowboys offensive line and you'll get your TD.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 03:56 PM   #3
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I would have Sammy Baugh run the Statue of Liberty to Jim Brown.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 03:57 PM   #4
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Power left formation. Hand off to Jerome Bettis (in his prime) following the blocks of Tony Boselli, Will Shields, and Mike Webster to the left side of the line. Game over.
Old 02-21-2003, 04:03 PM   #5
Kodos
Resident Alien

On comes Neil Rackers to kick the field goal and make it a one point deficit for the Bengals!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 04:05 PM   #6
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos
On comes Neil Rackers to kick the field goal and make it a one point deficit for the Bengals!

That was the final straw. Shorty just purchased a plane ticket to Chicago and is going to pay you a visit Kodos.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 04:06 PM   #7
Kodos
Resident Alien

And... Rackers misses!
Old 02-21-2003, 04:07 PM   #8
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

give it to the fridge...
Old 02-21-2003, 04:12 PM   #9
JeeberD
General Manager

Re: Re: 4th and goal from the two...

Quote:
Originally posted by primelord
Heh screw that.

Just give it to the 1993 Emmitt Smith behind the 1993 Cowboys offensive line and you'll get your TD.

Ditto. Or else run a play action and have Troy toss it to Novacek in the back of the endzone...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 04:25 PM   #10
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Double wing set.

Hut, Left wing Charlie Garner comes in motion. Hut Quarterback Tee Martin takes the snap, fakes the toss to Garner and instead hands off to Right wingback James Stewart who has run a counter inside of the spinning Martin.

The entire Buccaneer defense bites on the toss play which allows Chad Clifton the ultimate cheap shot on Warren Sapp.

Stewart scores easily behind the pulling Clifton and Cosey Coleman. In fact, no one was around for Coleman to block.

Sapp breaks his hip as he falls over from the crushing blow. Sapp and company get upset as Clifton celebrates the hit, not the injury.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:01 PM   #11
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Tee Martin? Any possible QB out there and you chose Tee Martin? With him at QB you wouldn't even be in the position of being just 4 points down.

Plus the Buccs defense is too fast and reacts too quickly to try to fool them with misdirection at that point. You need to either slam it up the middle or run a fade to Chris Carter. Or see if you can get away with some kind of pick to get your tight end free.

Just my .0012 cents (inflation has taken it's toll).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 05:05 PM   #12
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

This is only the 2002 Bucs Defenese, we're talking about. They're certainly good, but I don't need a best of all time to take them out.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 05:08 PM   #13
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally posted by ardent enthusiast
Double wing set.

Hut, Left wing Charlie Garner comes in motion. Hut Quarterback Tee Martin takes the snap, fakes the toss to Garner and instead hands off to Right wingback James Stewart who has run a counter inside of the spinning Martin.

The entire Buccaneer defense bites on the toss play which allows Chad Clifton the ultimate cheap shot on Warren Sapp.

Stewart scores easily behind the pulling Clifton and Cosey Coleman. In fact, no one was around for Coleman to block.

Sapp breaks his hip as he falls over from the crushing blow. Sapp and company get upset as Clifton celebrates the hit, not the injury.
This is absolutely beautiful.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 05:15 PM   #14
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Lance McIlhenny fakes the dive to Craig James, the wide pitch to Kenneth Davis and sneaks in off left-tackle.

Bonus points for anyone who remembers Lance McIlhenny.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:50 PM   #15
Vince
Pro Starter

Edit: I don't like to cheat, so I'm going to delete this little note.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Last edited by Vince : 02-21-2003 at 05:51 PM.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 05:51 PM   #16
andy m
High School Varsity

i throw the gamepad across the floor and curse madden 2003 for pissing me off just once too many times.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:30 PM   #17
mckerney
Coordinator

I'd have the 2002 Vikes using their goalline formation with a tackle on the end of the line on the left, Randy Moss in the slot on that side and then reverse to Moss and let him throw it to Dante Culpepper of D-Wayne Bates.

I'd just make sure the tackle reported as eligible

Last edited by mckerney : 02-21-2003 at 06:31 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 07:04 PM   #18
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:

"......Wait! there's a crash in Turn 4...its...yes the Dolphins...umm...yugo, is appearently upside down on the track, there appear to be tentacles everywhere, sadly folks, the #13 ride appears to be open for the rest of the season......"

Lay off my Bengals Alien Boy =) I didn't see any Piss green and Tangerine in the playoffs this year ya know =)

Ren
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 07:14 PM   #19
Kodos
Resident Alien

Thumbs up

Nor did I, which made me happy, because I hate Dave W!
Old 02-21-2003, 07:17 PM   #20
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Nor did I, which made me happy, because I hate Dave W!

LOL
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 07:19 PM   #21
Kodos
Resident Alien

2017: The Year Dave Gets Fired. Or very early 2018.
Old 02-22-2003, 12:40 AM   #22
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Option left

QB: Mike Vick
TB: James Brown
FB: Franco Harris
Old 02-22-2003, 01:07 AM   #23
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ren and Kodos, you guys crack me up. I had to sit here and explain the whole thing to my girlfriend I was laughing so hard.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 02:13 AM   #24
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally posted by EagleFan
Tee Martin? Any possible QB out there and you chose Tee Martin? With him at QB you wouldn't even be in the position of being just 4 points down.

Plus the Buccs defense is too fast and reacts too quickly to try to fool them with misdirection at that point. You need to either slam it up the middle or run a fade to Chris Carter. Or see if you can get away with some kind of pick to get your tight end free.

Just my .0012 cents (inflation has taken it's toll).

All the players on my team are former Vols. Peyton is a great passer, which isn't needed in the double wing. Tee, I envision, would be much better at running this offense. This offense really doesn't need a great throwing QB; anyone that can take a snap, toss the ball, hand the ball off, and rarely throw the ball. Basically, me.

I wish I had the chance to diagram the effectiveness of the toss play and the counter, but I don't. I would suggest a web search on double wing...but I'm not sure that would get it across double wing . Coach Wyatt's website does a good job of it, however.

Basically, teams see the toss, see the toss, see the toss. We honestly ran the toss till it wouldn't work anymore, and then ran it a few more times for good measure.

I've seen teams just start shifting and flowing off the wingback's motion. As a double wing offense coach, I actually like that. That's when I run counter.

Would the Bucs fall for the counter at that point? I think so. In fact, I know if it is 4th down, I've ran toss at least twice.
Any team is prone to mental mistakes, and getting pounded constantly will certainly help. On the goal line, teams often go for the first action...which obviously helps play action greatly. With Garner running over to take a fake toss, I'm betting the Bucs defense would sell out to stop him.

Fine by me, as I would see Stewart dancing in the endzone.
Old 02-22-2003, 05:42 AM   #25
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Same as WSUCougar : I'd have Steve Young on a roll out to the left with a fake and a pass OR going all the way to the endzone himself.
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote