Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-28-2007, 04:02 PM   #1
BigDPW
College Prospect

Alright boyz, here we go!! Tiger Woods 08 first impressions...

Haven't gotten the game yet but am in the process of downloading the demo. I have been reading alot about the game over at OS and it seems to be improved as far as the challenge goes only with continued "rubber band AI" during tournaments.

I will post my demo impressions but would love to hear any of your full game impressions if you got the game today at release.

BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
BigDPW
College Prospect

Man downloading the nearly 800 MB demo is taking forever... Must be alot of people downloading it today... Sorry for the delayed impressions...
Old 08-28-2007, 05:47 PM   #3
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

My wife bought this for me for my birthday. I've only messed around with practice modes thus far and started on Tour Mode difficulty, but I am having a tough time keeping the ball from slicing or hooking. It's definitely going to take some practice.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:09 PM   #4
Schmidty
Coordinator

I buy this every year, and play it more than the majority of the games I have.

Is it available to buy as a d/l, or just a demo?
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:12 PM   #5
Schmidty
Coordinator

Dola.

I don't mean a console (vomit) demo. I mean an actual PC demo.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:15 PM   #6
BigDPW
College Prospect

Not sure about a PC Demo... I have heard that they took out the ability to create custom courses and use them in the game (including bringing in courses made with the editor from last year) on the PC version... If that is true that is a real bummer... That has always been one of the best things about PC golf was being able to play Augusta (created by someone) and all of the great fictional courses people create...
Old 08-28-2007, 06:22 PM   #7
Schmidty
Coordinator

I am so sick of PC gamers getting screwed. Mindless console zombies are the wave of the future it seems.

I wish I could take a giant dump on a Wi360PSP3 right now.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:04 PM   #8
BigDPW
College Prospect

OK. Just tinished playing through the 3 hole demo about 5 times. The three holes are 10-11-12 at TPC Boston (Par 4 - Par5 - Par3). The beauty of the course and textures really shines through in the demo. As far as gameplay goes please take my opinion in the proper context. I have not played console TW since a couple of years ago on the XBox. I did buy TW06 for the PC and enjoyed it alot.

Gameplay is difficult to get my hands around as the 3 wholes you play you are playing from the easiest tees (Ladies tees I think) and you have Tigers driving power at your disposal. The 315 yd Par 4 that you start with is driveable but dangerous to do so due to some bunkers on the left. I tried to drive it 4 of my 5 attempts and only succeeded once. The sensitivity of the left stick when swinging is very high and only about 10% of my shots were "Perfect" while most of them were the second or 3rd degree of hook (and the occasional slice). For those of you looking for a challenge at console golf then I think this could be your match. I would assume that the demo is on one of the easier levels too so I am pretty sure there is a harder way to play in the real version.

Putting is more difficult than any TW game I remember playing on a console in the past. I tried the entire time to not use the "aftershot" spin or power boosts and I think it will be fun to play without those in the retail version.

I did not notice any framerate hiccups but then again I am probably not the most sensitive to those anyway compared to some of the graphics whores out there.

After playing the demo I am pretty sure I can get some enjoyment out of the single player portion of this game (minus tournaments against the AI - due to rubber band AI). I am really psyched about the Game Face feature where you can upload your photo from the front and the side to EASPORTSWORLD to create a realistic looking face for your custom golfer.

The GamerNet feature where you go online and create challenges and take on others challenges also sounds like alot of fun.

I will probably go pick up this game in the next few days if I continue to hear good things about it on this forum and others.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:19 PM   #9
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Did they FINALLY make it so it plays a decent game of golf? This series has been the worst for quite some time.

I guess I'll check out the demo, but I don't have much expectations.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:22 PM   #10
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
This series has been the worst for quite some time.

You lost me with that unreal sentence. I just can't relate to a person who doesn't at least think the game is decent.

*shakes head in bewilderment*

Last edited by Schmidty : 08-28-2007 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:53 PM   #11
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Any golf game where a good round gets you in the high 40s and a bad round ends up in the high 50s is a suspect game. I have generally been entertained by it, but it has never come close to approximating real golf.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:21 PM   #12
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Any golf game where a good round gets you in the high 40s and a bad round ends up in the high 50s is a suspect game. I have generally been entertained by it, but it has never come close to approximating real golf.

I play at intermediate, and find it to be a blast, and I shoot varying scores. Then again, I use a PC, not an idiot pad. (Sorry, I just really, really hate consoles)

By the way, I'm not suggesting that someone should think it's the greatest game ever, but to say it's the worst is just silly. That was my main issue with his post.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:47 AM   #13
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Any have any wiipressions of this game yet? this has the potential to be one of the best wii titles available.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:42 AM   #14
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimperless View Post
Any have any wiipressions of this game yet? this has the potential to be one of the best wii titles available.

FYI......The Wii version appears to be the worst of the bunch. The guys over at the SportsGamer blog mentioned that there really are no new features to speak of and the motion control is still very spotty at best. I've heard similar things from another person who's had a review copy for a couple of days.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:16 AM   #15
Booj
High School JV

Just played a bit with the 360 version, and it seems to be pretty challenging (keeping in mind I haven't played a TW title since 2004). I've been doing some rounds with Mike Weir and a bad shot really does penalize you, especially using the Analog swing.

I started a practice career mode with rookie Tiger Woods and quickly found myself +10 after three holes.

Maybe there's hope yet...
Booj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:19 AM   #16
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booj View Post
Just played a bit with the 360 version, and it seems to be pretty challenging (keeping in mind I haven't played a TW title since 2004). I've been doing some rounds with Mike Weir and a bad shot really does penalize you, especially using the Analog swing.

I started a practice career mode with rookie Tiger Woods and quickly found myself +10 after three holes.

Maybe there's hope yet...

You'll find that the game gets much easier as you improve your golfer's skills. Many people play with house rules on Tiger Woods where they only power up their character to a certain level to avoid making it too easy later in the game to avoid the rounds in the 40s and 50s.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:42 AM   #17
Bee
Pro Starter

Can someone go into a little detail about the career mode? I remember in some of the older versions that you could start out as an amateur and work your way up to the PGA. A few months ago I rented 07 and the career mode just seemed to toss you into the PGA right of the bat and the progression felt really poor. The career mode to me really felt like a major downgrade from the older version I had played.

Last edited by Bee : 08-29-2007 at 07:43 AM.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:08 AM   #18
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimperless View Post

http://wii.ign.com/articles/816/816464p1.html

Not bad. Not great.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:23 AM   #19
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
You lost me with that unreal sentence. I just can't relate to a person who doesn't at least think the game is decent.

*shakes head in bewilderment*

I guess you never played Links?

Tiger has been the same year after year. It's so easy to play, it's laughable. I've read this year is different, but I'm skeptical.

Honestly, I don't even think it's decent. It's boring, provides little challenge and is the same year after year. Again.. I'm hoping this year is different. I also wish Links would come back!!!
Old 08-29-2007, 09:27 AM   #20
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Tiger has been the same year after year. It's so easy to play, it's laughable. I've read this year is different, but I'm skeptical.

Honestly, I don't even think it's decent. It's boring, provides little challenge and is the same year after year. Again.. I'm hoping this year is different. I also wish Links would come back!!!

I miss Links. I played that game for years and spent some time on a Links ladder when ladders were fairly new. With all that gameplay, I never got a hole in one in that game. I got one in the first game I played on TW.

I never have played the TW game on a PC, so I can't speak to how that version of the game is.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:31 AM   #21
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I miss Links. I played that game for years and spent some time on a Links ladder when ladders were fairly new. With all that gameplay, I never got a hole in one in that game. I got one in the first game I played on TW.

I never have played the TW game on a PC, so I can't speak to how that version of the game is.

Yeah, I've had like 4 or 5 holes in one in TW. The game is just soooooo boring.

I've played on consoles (TW), but I haven't read anything to suspect it's any better.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:06 AM   #22
Icy
Pro Starter

I might buy this game, but i'm worried about the comments in OPS forums. It seems that while the graphics and even gameplay has been improved, the computer still has the called "ruberband AI". It means that the AI players don't play to their real abilities but matching yours.

Example, you have a great round and end -4, the following round most of the computer players end around that score. If you do something stupidly extreme like ending +80 on purpose, most of the computer players end also with scores close to +80.

While that sounds like a good idea to match every player level, it ruins the career mode for me. I want the good players to be good and the crap ones to be crap, that way, if i win a tourney, it will be because i have improved and not because the CPU players play like crap to match my level.

If you guys can test it, it could be great.

Last edited by Icy : 08-29-2007 at 10:07 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:32 AM   #23
Phototropic
Mascot

I wasn't going to pick it up because of the rubberband issue which REALLY sucks. I haven't tested it for myself yet, but I played a round offline and online with 2 friends. Both were on Tour Pro skill level using the default tour pros, and I shot 92, 89. Online was a blast. If you are looking for offline only, I don't know if I can recommend it as I haven't delved into that, but the game is seriously difficult and fun on the hardest setting. I'm definitely glad I picked it up.

I haven't played the series since the XBOX where I would shoot 58-62 every round, but I can pretty much guarantee I will never have that problem.

Just to mention, I played Links on the PC for 2-3 years straight back in the day, only using the Powerstroke swing once they implemented that feature. I would never compare the physics in the two games, but online play was much more enjoyable than anything I experienced with Links. YMMV.

Last edited by Phototropic : 08-29-2007 at 10:37 AM.
Phototropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:46 AM   #24
JS19
College Prospect

I just picked it up for PS3 yesterday and find it very difficult. I'm assuming that's bc I have never played a golf game before and still trying to figure out how to master the controls.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:51 AM   #25
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phototropic View Post
I wasn't going to pick it up because of the rubberband issue which REALLY sucks. I haven't tested it for myself yet, but I played a round offline and online with 2 friends. Both were on Tour Pro skill level using the default tour pros, and I shot 92, 89. Online was a blast. If you are looking for offline only, I don't know if I can recommend it as I haven't delved into that, but the game is seriously difficult and fun on the hardest setting. I'm definitely glad I picked it up.

I haven't played the series since the XBOX where I would shoot 58-62 every round, but I can pretty much guarantee I will never have that problem.

This is exactly right. Playing on Tour Mode difficulty, I can't ever foresee the day I shoot the consistent high 50s that I used to when I played the '04 and '06 versions for the Xbox. Hitting the perfect shot is much more difficult than it used to be. I too was expecting the ridiculous holes-in-one, multiple chip ins from the fairway, but I'm having a hard enough time just keeping the ball straight, never mind actually getting it close to the hole. The rubber band AI is extremely dumb, but I can vouch for the fact this game is definitely considerably harder than '04 and '06.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:12 PM   #26
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm glad it's harder.. that was my #1 concern. Now with all this "rubberband AI" talk (words people think of for games crack me up), I still don't think I'll pick this one up - unless it's all just rumors.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:27 PM   #27
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

Even when it was PGA Golf or whatever, I still liked it more than Links. Links was clunky and slow.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:36 PM   #28
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Links was clunky and slow.
OK, this is just blasphemy.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:56 PM   #29
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
OK, this is just blasphemy.

I just remember playing "real swing" thing with PGA for the first time, and thinking how smooth and fun it was. I tried playing Links again after that, and it just didn't feel right, with all the clicking.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:57 PM   #30
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I just remember playing "real swing" thing with PGA for the first time, and thinking how smooth and fun it was. I tried playing Links again after that, and it just didn't feel right, with all the clicking.
You poor, misguided Schmidty. Come over here and let Pumpy give you a hug. I think you need it.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:22 PM   #31
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
You poor, misguided Schmidty. Come over here and let Pumpy give you a hug. I think you need it.

NO! You are a dirty console player. I don't want your taint.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:52 PM   #32
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

New FOFC drinking game: Do a shot every time Schmidty mentions he doesn't like consoles in the Tiger Woods thread.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:06 PM   #33
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I vote for doing a shot every time Schmidty mentions my taint.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:43 PM   #34
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

""
Old 08-29-2007, 06:21 PM   #35
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

Bob Saget approves.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:36 PM   #36
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Bob Saget loves Pumpy's taint.

Shot time!!!
Old 08-29-2007, 08:36 PM   #37
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Played the demo.. feels better than 07, but that's not saying much. Of course you're using Tiger, so take that FWIW.

The game looks better and I see you still have to hit A many times to skip the corny cut scenes.

I'll wait to hear some more impressions.. especially since NHL 08 is due out soon. Would be fun to get a FOFC tourney online.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:02 PM   #38
JS19
College Prospect

Little help. Keep in mid I have never played a golf game before, but I found this to be a little odd. I'm playing in the career mode, 1st tourny of the yr, and after the 1st round the leaders shot a 68, 65, 68, and 67. Now Im looking on the scorecard as I enter round 3 and it says their 2nd round scores are 90, 94, 94, 94. I don't know mu about golf, but that just doesn't seem right. Also, again, i know next to nothing about golf, but how did I make the cut if I shot a 92, and a 91??
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:13 PM   #39
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
The game looks better and I see you still have to hit A many times to skip the corny cut scenes.

See, there's proof of why you hate the game - You're playing it on a piece of shit-ass fucking console. That's not even close to playing it on PC.

Why not just shove your teenage-twitch-inducing, pile of garbage controller up Pumpy's taint, and be done with that zombie-creating, brainless box of idiocy.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:20 PM   #40
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
See, there's proof of why you hate the game - You're playing it on a piece of shit-ass fucking console. That's not even close to playing it on PC.

Why not just shove your teenage-twitch-inducing, pile of garbage controller up Pumpy's taint, and be done with that zombie-creating, brainless box of idiocy.

Ohhh behave!

C0ns0Lz rUlz f0o!
Old 08-30-2007, 07:25 AM   #41
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

What is rubber band AI?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:51 AM   #42
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Great, now I have to get another controller shoved up my taint. It's not easy being me.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:28 AM   #43
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Little help. Keep in mid I have never played a golf game before, but I found this to be a little odd. I'm playing in the career mode, 1st tourny of the yr, and after the 1st round the leaders shot a 68, 65, 68, and 67. Now Im looking on the scorecard as I enter round 3 and it says their 2nd round scores are 90, 94, 94, 94. I don't know mu about golf, but that just doesn't seem right. Also, again, i know next to nothing about golf, but how did I make the cut if I shot a 92, and a 91??

This is an example of the "Rubber Band AI" during tournaments. What the CPU does is in Round 1 the field shoots what they would normaly shoot. In round two the fields scores are clustered around what your 1st round score is. If you shoot a 91 in round 1 the majority of the field will shoot in the low 90's on round 2. This continues for each round through the tournament. The way I have found to counter this is to set the tournaments in career mode to only be 1 round. It sucks that we cannot play a full 4 rounds and have the field play to there abilities throughout though. I can understand having this feature in for some gamers but it really should have an on-off switch. Or make it very subtle where only 1/4 or 1/3 of the field are effected so you have a chance to make the cut but not to win the entire tourney due to it.

I broke down and bought this game for the 360 yesterday and so far I am having a good time with it. I will be glad when I can upload my photo to EASPORTSWORLD and get my face in the game.

I will give some more detailed impressions soon but for now here are my thoughts:
  • Graphics are great (not a huge priority for me but nice)
  • This game is challenging on balanced level and my crap golfer right now so I think it will continue to be challenging despite my golfer leveling up if I up the difficulty to hard or tour pro soon.
  • Swing mechanics feel pretty good (I have not played Links 360 so take this with a grain of salt if you are in love with the links engine as I have no comparison)
  • I turn off the spin and power up features with shots and I think this represents real golf much better and adds to the challenge. You can still spin the ball but you have to select how much prior to your shot - not in the air like Tiger game have been doing for so long.
  • The ability to plan fades/draws pre-shot to varying degrees is a huge addition to the game and I have hoped for this for a long time in a console golf game.
  • It would be nice if the players had a rating for draw/fade so you couldn't do it well from the moment you hit the course - I like how the TW PC games you have to work your way up to be able to use draw/fade mechanics.
  • Putting is much much better than I remember from a couple of years ago on the XBOX. You will push/pull putts pretty consistently on balanced difficulty so I am curious to see how tough putting is on tour pro and hard.
More to come later as I get more time with the game...
Old 08-30-2007, 08:41 AM   #44
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Just a heads up for those considering the game. Gamespot is reporting a game crash bug exists in the 360 version. They also mention little to no feature improvement from previous games (a EA trademark at this point)...........

360 review:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/spor...ml?sid=6177873

PS3 review:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/sports/t...ml?sid=6177870
Old 08-30-2007, 09:25 AM   #45
Capital
High School Varsity

Anyone know what or how many courses are in the PC version?
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:47 AM   #46
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Just a heads up for those considering the game. Gamespot is reporting a game crash bug exists in the 360 version. They also mention little to no feature improvement from previous games (a EA trademark at this point)...........

360 review:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/spor...ml?sid=6177873

PS3 review:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/sports/t...ml?sid=6177870

There is already a reported workaround for the bug. You have to hold "A" from the console when starting the game, I believe. I'll see if I can find where I read the solution and a patch is being worked on. I'll be passing on the game as this is a series that I usually only buy once every 3 or so years and I have last year's version on the PC.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:07 AM   #47
spleen1015
Coordinator

This rubberband AI bullshit is enough to make the game unplayable to me.

NBA Jam catchup code all over again.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:11 AM   #48
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Whenever I see MBBFAN in a thread I always wish he used spoiler tags. He just loves to spew his anti-360 crap time after time after time after time after time after time after Pumpy's taint after time after time....

I'll skip Tiger again this year though due to this "rubberband AI". TP Golf (Gary's game for me this year).
Old 08-30-2007, 10:34 AM   #49
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Shot!
Old 08-30-2007, 10:36 AM   #50
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Whenever I see MBBFAN in a thread I always wish he used spoiler tags. He just loves to spew his anti-360 crap time after time after time after time after time after time after Pumpy's taint after time after time....

I'll skip Tiger again this year though due to this "rubberband AI". TP Golf (Gary's game for me this year).

So I now should avoid posting any news about possible game killers only on the 360 version? I assume that posting a warning if it were for a PS3 game is OK? Good lord, man. I was just trying to let people know that might not be aware. You can be sure I'd want to know if there was a similar problem with the PS3 version. Don't blame me that EA can't develop a game that doesn't function correctly.

EF27 - Thanks for the update.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-30-2007 at 10:37 AM.