Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-12-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Best "superstar" mode in any sports game.

After bashing the Wii today, I actually read a review on MLB Power Pros. It seems that the college to pro mode is fantastic. I really like this style of gameplay. What game has the best superstar mode you've played with?

Madden 08
NCAA 08
MLB the Show
MLB Power Pros
FIFA 08 - good concept but you can't develop your guy

Are there any other games I'm missing? I really like Superstar in Madden and NCAA. Are there any basketball games with this feature? I don't think either Hockey game has it as of yet.

Is the Power Pros mode really good? I might actually pick it up, even after all the trash I talked on the Wii today

astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
After bashing the Wii today, I actually read a review on MLB Power Pros. It seems that the college to pro mode is fantastic. I really like this style of gameplay. What game has the best superstar mode you've played with?

Madden 08
NCAA 08
MLB the Show
MLB Power Pros
FIFA 08 - good concept but you can't develop your guy

Are there any other games I'm missing? I really like Superstar in Madden and NCAA. Are there any basketball games with this feature? I don't think either Hockey game has it as of yet.

Is the Power Pros mode really good? I might actually pick it up, even after all the trash I talked on the Wii today

Power Pro's Success mode is not like the others mentioned, just so you're forewarned. It's very much more in the vein of an RPG than it is a sports simulation, but I find it very good. I've only played through it a couple times, but I'm impressed with the variety. I'm not sure how soon it'll wear thin, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I really wish you could continue it though through the minors and to the majors. The most games I've actually played so far in it are 5 I think, so the actual playing is pretty minimal.

I'd say The Show is still my favorite, but Power Pro's would be 2nd.

The one I'm most excited about seeing evolve will be FIFA's. That'd be great.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:01 PM   #3
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
Power Pro's Success mode is not like the others mentioned, just so you're forewarned. It's very much more in the vein of an RPG than it is a sports simulation, but I find it very good. I've only played through it a couple times, but I'm impressed with the variety. I'm not sure how soon it'll wear thin, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I really wish you could continue it though through the minors and to the majors. The most games I've actually played so far in it are 5 I think, so the actual playing is pretty minimal.

Ahh so you don't have a major league career in sucess mode? It just college ball?

I would love to see FIFA's evolve. Kind of like superstart soccer with phat graphics.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:33 PM   #4
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
Ahh so you don't have a major league career in sucess mode? It just college ball?

I would love to see FIFA's evolve. Kind of like superstart soccer with phat graphics.

Well you can add your player to a team and start whatever the 10-year franchise mode is called with that team, and quick-play all their games only stopping when your player comes to bat/pitch if you wanted to, but the RPG mode stops after you get told whether you've been drafted/are done with baseball, which is disappointing.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:30 AM   #5
Icy
Pro Starter

I love RPG features in sports games. So far NCAA, Madden and MLB the show are equalliy fun, maybe MLB is the best one overall but just because the game engine is incredible great, not like Madden or NCAA.

The FIFA one is soooo great, too bad you can only play one game offline or online without any kind of season development etc. I would love a superstar mode in FIFA with the actual "be a pro" gameplay. I'm enjoying a lot playing it online with 5 vs 5 human players.

Don't forget the game NSS3. It's exactly what we want from the "be a pro" mode in FIFA, but with old style 2D graphics. The game is incredible fun and a new version, NSS4 is being developed with a 3D engine (still too old style graphics, don't expect anything close to FIFA).

A superstar mode is being suggested for 2K sports basketball games in the OPS forums, to go fmo college to NBA. I signed for it in case the developers want to read it (and they usually read and post in those forums).

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:48 AM   #6
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

How does the FIFA one work?
Old 11-13-2007, 09:23 AM   #7
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post
How does the FIFA one work?

It's so basic, you control just one player (like player lock in other games) but the fun is playing it online, with 5 humans in each team, where you can teamwork etc.

There is also an offline training mode. You chose the team and player to play with, and during the game, you see a progress bar that tells you how well you are doing with some different factors, like being in the right position in the field, goals, passes, tackles etc.

Obviously the missing part is a full career mode to play some season and to improve your player etc.

Imagine a Madden mode this way, with each human controlling only one player, a guy is a QB, another a WR, etc etc, wouldn't that be a dream game?

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:05 PM   #8
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post

I just tried success mode. It is pretty fun. I just rented the game today. Overall though, I don't like the actual gameplay. I just can't get past the terrible graphics.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:19 PM   #9
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I'm on my second-and-a-half career in NCAA 08 and having a blast with it. Waiting for Madden to drop in price or for Santa to bring it to take my QB over.

My favorite part is I can play a game in under 30 minutes, which is critical for me as a parent. Without in-game saves, this is about the only way I can complete a game in the timeslots I tend to get.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:29 PM   #10
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I'm on my second-and-a-half career in NCAA 08 and having a blast with it. Waiting for Madden to drop in price or for Santa to bring it to take my QB over.

My favorite part is I can play a game in under 30 minutes, which is critical for me as a parent. Without in-game saves, this is about the only way I can complete a game in the timeslots I tend to get.

Agreed, we really need in game saves. Dynasty modes, with longer clocks take to long to play. I don't mind the long games, but it sucks to have to leave half way through.