Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-25-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
Vince
Pro Starter

Westvleteren 12 (Beer)

A very good friend of mine who is studying abroad just brought me some Belgian Beer that is by a huge margin the best beer I have ever had in my life. It's called Westvleteren 12. If any of you have the opportunity to try it and you enjoy beer, do yourself a favor and go get some. It's really amazing.

Apparently this beer is ridiculously hard to get a hold of -- you can only buy it from the monks at the Abbey, and only if you call your order in ahead of time. They are actively trying to keep people from re-selling the beer, such that if you can even find a bottle at a normal liquor store it costs more than ten euros per bottle.

The beer is intriguing to me because I typically do not enjoy the European beers I have tried. The beers that I enjoy most around here are craft brews (Nut Browns, Pales and Stouts are my favorites), so maybe it's just that I don't like Lagers. Anyone know of any good foreign beers I could get a hold of over here that aren't as well-known as, say, Stella Artois?
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:07 AM   #2
JeeberD
General Manager

Belgian beers, in general, kick ass...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:59 AM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Saldana is a huge beer fan and he raves about this one.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
KWhit
Coordinator

I prefer Bud Select.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:08 PM   #5
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
A very good friend of mine who is studying abroad just brought me some Belgian Beer that is by a huge margin the best beer I have ever had in my life. It's called Westvleteren 12. If any of you have the opportunity to try it and you enjoy beer, do yourself a favor and go get some. It's really amazing.

Apparently this beer is ridiculously hard to get a hold of -- you can only buy it from the monks at the Abbey, and only if you call your order in ahead of time. They are actively trying to keep people from re-selling the beer, such that if you can even find a bottle at a normal liquor store it costs more than ten euros per bottle.

The beer is intriguing to me because I typically do not enjoy the European beers I have tried. The beers that I enjoy most around here are craft brews (Nut Browns, Pales and Stouts are my favorites), so maybe it's just that I don't like Lagers. Anyone know of any good foreign beers I could get a hold of over here that aren't as well-known as, say, Stella Artois?

I'm sure I'd never pronounce that correctly, so in asking for it, I might receive the Belgian monk version of a golden shower or dirty sanchez. No thanks, mon frere. I like my beer like I like my women - familiar, easy to pronouce, and with a twist-off cap.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:08 PM   #6
Anthony
Banned

if its so hard to get, what's the point? give me something i can get at a store.

it can be the greatest beer ever, but if the only place to get it is at the top of Mt. Everest then i'll stick with a 12 pack of whatever good stuff i can get my hands on.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:46 PM   #7
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

I'd try it if I could find it, but I agree with HA and Crim.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:27 PM   #8
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
it can be the greatest beer ever, but if the only place to get it is at the top of Mt. Everest then i'll stick with a 12 pack of whatever good stuff i can get my hands on.

Dude, you are missing out with that Everest beer. Fuckin' AWESOME!
Old 04-27-2008, 02:15 PM   #9
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Dude, you are missing out with that Everest beer. Fuckin' AWESOME!

indeed.

Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:11 PM   #10
grim
n00b

St. Bernardus Abt 12 and Rochefort 10 are very very similar beers to Westvleteren 12 and are available here in the states. It shouldn't be a problem to find either of them in California. Westvleteren 12 is a very good beer, but is overrated due to it's scarcity.
grim is offline   Reply With Quote