Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-14-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
Schmidty
Coordinator

Tiger Woods

You know, my instincts are to dislike him, since I'm usually for underdogs, and because his personality ranges from zero to abrasive.

But damn, he is so fun to watch. I can't help but to root for him every time I see him now. It's like the weirdest feeling for me.

Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

He got the benefit of two drops today. One on the hole he eagled where he hit into the high rough and then one on the hole where he chipped in for birdie where a dumb fan picked up his ball.

I am pulling for Rocco Mediate, he is from about 3 miles from my house.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:06 PM   #3
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I gotta give it to him though...he's playing through a ton of pain.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:10 PM   #4
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
I am pulling for Rocco Mediate, he is from about 3 miles from my house.

Oh, I am totally rooting for him too, but it's just that when Tiger is on the screen, I'm just compelled to watch.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:12 PM   #5
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Just sick man...another eagle.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:13 PM   #6
Schmidty
Coordinator

He's amazing.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:19 PM   #7
cmp
Pro Rookie

Wow. What an end to the round. That was impressive.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:19 PM   #8
larrymcg421
Head Coach

It was an insane round. He missed so many fairways, and missed them badly. A lesser player would not have been able to recover nearly as well from those spots, favorable drops or not.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:20 PM   #9
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

With him hurting...I think if he holds on to win...it might rival Jack winning the 86 Masters.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:46 PM   #10
MrBug708
Head Coach

Two money shots
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:51 PM   #11
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Two money shots

Do you pay double for that?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:04 PM   #12
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I hate when golf is on NBC, because I forget to go watch. But man o' man. Seeing the highlights...Tiger is a monster.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:09 PM   #13
Jas_lov
College Starter

Great finish for Tiger. It's going to be interesting to see if his knee holds up because he was missing fairways badly as someone else said. 2 eagles and a lucky birdie and he's in the driver's seat though. I'd like to see Rocco win too, but I think Westwood might have a better chance to beat Tiger.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:12 PM   #14
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I can't believe he's come this far to blow it. Especially on Father's Day and even playing in pain. He's got a lead and he'll be Tiger tomorrow. Can't wait to see this finish.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:22 PM   #15
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
He got the benefit of two drops today. One on the hole he eagled where he hit into the high rough and then one on the hole where he chipped in for birdie where a dumb fan picked up his ball.
I never know what to make of that. On one hand Tiger benefits from drops because he knows the rules as well as or better than anyone on tour and knows how to use them to his advantage.

I think the only benefit he got when the fan picked up his ball was that he got a drop but the benefit was that he hit into the grass where the fans had trampled it down and he was going to get that benefit regardless. Frankly, Tiger hits the ball into crowd into trampled grass much too frequently -- frequently enough that it seems like a strategy. If he can cut the ball into the crowd and know he'll get more distance, have a better angle and have a decent lie, why not "mishit" the ball like that? How often do we see Tiger slice a ball into another fairway or into the crowd and we're all amazed at how he has a much better shot than if he were in the rough or sometimes in the fairway. He and Stevie have got to identify those spots before the tournament.

The guy is simply unbelievable. I was trying to explain to Mrs. kcchief19 that watching those last six holes was like watching Babe Ruth pitch a shutout while hitting three homers. It was unreal.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:28 PM   #16
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Can he read a freaking green or what? The guy is amazing...
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:30 PM   #17
rowech
Pro Starter

Tiger is the greatest competitor since Jordan.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:56 AM   #18
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I can't believe he's come this far to blow it. Especially on Father's Day and even playing in pain. He's got a lead and he'll be Tiger tomorrow. Can't wait to see this finish.

I had this conversation with my husband and dad last night while we were watching the Open. They were both saying they thought he would drop out. I said I disagreed - the man is a champion, he has determination and drive that we can't imagine. Tiger Woods is not going to drop out of the US Open when he is going into the final round in 1st place. I just don't see it happening.

I'm sure he has a doctor there with him who spent most of last night treating his knee - ice, meds, electrical muscle stimulation, whatever it would take to get him through the final round today. If he drops out, I'll be shocked, and disappointed as I'm really looking forward to watching today...
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:36 AM   #19
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp View Post
Wow. What an end to the round. That was impressive.

Very impressive. Looking forward to seeing a great round from him today. He is one of my favorite athletes to watch.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:46 AM   #20
Zelig
Mascot

This is going to come across a certain way, and I don't think I can word it any other. Do any of you feel like you are being manipulated a little bit? I know I talked to several friends after Paul Pierce was chugged out in a friggin wheelchair, only to make a TRIUMPHANT return and "oh lord, look how he plays through the pain, what a champion, what a hero to all the little kids out there." hmmmmmm

Now, Tiger actually had knee surgery, but the dramatic holding yourself up by the fingers and hearing the plaudits of the masses, just has that feeling of situational manipulation to me, and many I talk to.

Now, do I want him to win? Heck, yes, he is the greatest golfer I have ever seen, and I feel lucky to be alive and watch his greatness. But, this feels contrived.

Last edited by Zelig : 06-15-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Zelig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:54 AM   #21
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelig View Post
This is going to come across a certain way, and I don't think I can word it any other. Do any of you feel like you are being manipulated a little bit? I know I talked to several friends after Paul Pierce was chugged out in a friggin wheelchair, only to make a TRIUMPHANT return and "oh lord, look how he plays through the pain, what a champion, what a hero to all the little kids out there." hmmmmmm

Now, Tiger actually had knee surgery, but the dramatic holding yourself up by the fingers and hearing the plaudits of the masses, just has that feeling of situational manipulation to me, and many I talk to.

Now, do I want him to win? Heck, yes, he is the greatest golfer I have ever seen, and I feel lucky to be alive and watch his greatness. But, this feels contrived.

I get what you're saying, but I don't really think it's orchestrated. You might be confusing the hyperbole of the commentators with the actual performance of the athletes.

Especially in Tiger's case, it was just Tiger being Tiger. If you've watched him his whole career, it was him doing stuff he does and so, it's not contrived because it's just more evidence of his greatness.

The fact that he manages to raise the degree of difficulty each time, while being in the midst of performing that excellence is the reason for the responses you're seeing about what he's managing to do. We'll see how today goes of course. The thing is, no one would fault him for losing today. But he's shown an ability to rise to the challenge better than anyone in sports today.

If you could measure clutch, it wouldn't be called a clutch rating, it'd be called the Tiger Scale.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #22
Zelig
Mascot

Very fair response. Thanks.
Zelig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:23 PM   #23
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Zelig I get what you are saying to an extent. But I think a lot of it has to do with the announcers pointing out over and over again how much pain Tiger is in and critiquing the way he walks and his grimaces.

I don't want Tiger to win, I'll be honest. I never root for the guy and would rather have any other golf win but him. I am a huge Jack Nicklaus fan and I don't want Tiger beating his Major record. He probably will by the time he's done, but just because he is great, doesn't mean that I have to root for him.

I also don't like how every bad shot he hits he has to put on an act of how disgusted he is. If he isn't throwing his club, he's screaming god dammit, or pouting. So say it is because he is intense and hates to lose. But I bet there were 150 other golfers out there that hate to lose too.

And don't even get me started on his caddie, that guy is a grade A jackoff.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:22 PM   #24
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I'm going to take this a little further than Zelig-

We're talking about golf, right? Golf?? GOLF!?! (I suddenly feel like AI).

I get his knee gets torqued driving the ball, and he's walking the course, but we're talking about golf.

Let him take someone's tee shot off his face, Ryan Malone style, and then continue on. But walking a golf course??
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:24 PM   #25
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Zelig I get what you are saying to an extent. But I think a lot of it has to do with the announcers pointing out over and over again how much pain Tiger is in and critiquing the way he walks and his grimaces.

I don't want Tiger to win, I'll be honest. I never root for the guy and would rather have any other golf win but him. I am a huge Jack Nicklaus fan and I don't want Tiger beating his Major record. He probably will by the time he's done, but just because he is great, doesn't mean that I have to root for him.

I also don't like how every bad shot he hits he has to put on an act of how disgusted he is. If he isn't throwing his club, he's screaming god dammit, or pouting. So say it is because he is intense and hates to lose. But I bet there were 150 other golfers out there that hate to lose too.

And don't even get me started on his caddie, that guy is a grade A jackoff.

bsak, if I didn't know any better, I'd think you'd taken a post about Crosby, and typed 'Tiger' in every place it said 'Crosby'.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:34 PM   #26
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
bsak, if I didn't know any better, I'd think you'd taken a post about Crosby, and typed 'Tiger' in every place it said 'Crosby'.

Tiger doesnt bitch when he doesn't get the calls plus I don't think I've ever seen Tiger dive.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:46 PM   #27
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Anybody watching this US Open Challenge stuff? Foursome of an essay writer contest winner ordinary person, along with Justin Timberlake, Matt Lauer and Tony Romo.

No one has birdied today, apparently. Would be fun to do that, especially with guys like Greg Norman and Butch Harmon caddying for you and giving you advice.

I think the contest winner has inoperable non-smoking lung cancer. Wow...well then that's cool he got to live out a dream like this.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 06-15-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:10 PM   #28
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I watched it and I agree that was cool to watch.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #29
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

lol@the shots of the golfers walking through the parking lot. It's not quite as dramatic as a football, basketball, or hockey player coming through the tunnel.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:12 PM   #30
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,

Are the scores usually this low in the U.S. Open? I know for the majors they usually like to make it pretty hard, but I seem to remember some courses where guys were double digits under par.

Edit: I guess I should be asking "are the scores usually this high?"

Last edited by Karlifornia : 06-15-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:15 PM   #31
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Dola,

Are the scores usually this low in the U.S. Open? I know for the majors they usually like to make it pretty hard, but I seem to remember some courses where guys were double digits under par.

The scores really are irrelevant. It all depends on the par they give for each hole. They could have raised par on a couple of questionable holes from 3 to 4 and from 4 to 5, and the scores would be "prettier" but still the same
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:17 PM   #32
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
The scores really are irrelevant. It all depends on the par they give for each hole. They could have raised par on a couple of questionable holes from 3 to 4 and from 4 to 5, and the scores would be "prettier" but still the same

Isn't there like, a 600 yard hole?
Old 06-15-2008, 02:32 PM   #33
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Isn't there like, a 600 yard hole?

9th hole, 612 yards
13th hole, 614 yards

http://usga.usopen.com/course/index.html

Last edited by fantom1979 : 06-15-2008 at 02:32 PM.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:32 PM   #34
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Dola,

The last two winners won the US Open at +5. Usually the winner is around par.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:07 PM   #35
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The US Open is pretty much a bloodbath and the USGA loves it that way. This year isn't even as crazy as the past few, which were brutal in terms of setup. But I like it. Makes it an ultimate test.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 06-15-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:20 PM   #36
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

What a commercial.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:46 PM   #37
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Wow ... Tiger is going to double one -- again -- and Rocco is rolling. This is going to be a wild day.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:59 PM   #38
Logan
Head Coach

I've said it before, I'll say it again...this is what HD is made for.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:01 PM   #39
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I think we all knew the knee would cause him fits, the question is how much will it impact his ability to finish today. Gonna be a wild ride today for sure.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:02 PM   #40
Logan
Head Coach

Ew...terrible miss by Tiger on two. Settles for the bogey.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:12 PM   #41
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Luke Donald withdraws. That sucks to have to withdraw on Sunday.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:21 PM   #42
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Bogey by Mediate and Tiger is only one down.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:50 PM   #43
Schmidty
Coordinator

Wow, another amazing shot.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #44
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Tiger back in the lead.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:24 PM   #45
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Tiger in serious trouble here.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:29 PM   #46
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Tiger in serious trouble here.

He's never in real trouble. I've bought into his mystic and raw skill. He'll at least par this.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:30 PM   #47
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelig View Post
I have to admit a certain level of feeling the same way. I don't think it's orchestrated, but I think Tiger has always overreacted to injuries and pain, whether it's tweaking his knees or hitting a stinger. I don't doubt he's in pain, but look at a guy like Fred Couples who has a bad back is in constant pain. You don't see it out of him very often. But to give him the benefit of the doubt, I think it has more to do with the fact that Tiger hides all of his emotions poorly -- he's the most fined golfer in the PGA for cursing, he celebrates more than any golfer, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
We're talking about golf, right? Golf?? GOLF!?! (I suddenly feel like AI).

I get his knee gets torqued driving the ball, and he's walking the course, but we're talking about golf.
I'm guessing you have never played golf or have never played golf without a cart. Maybe you have played golf but you play your local flat muni.

I'm not saying golf is the most physical of sports but it does require a great deal of energy and strength to walk 7,000 yards (that's four miles just walking from tee to green, and you'll walk severa more milesl between holes and whatnot). I know somebody will pull out John Daly but I'll say this -- given John Daly's talent, he should be a great golfer. But because of his condition he's an average golfer. His lack of fitness definitely affects his golf game, just as Tiger's fitness enchances his golf game.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:32 PM   #48
Schmidty
Coordinator

I was just thinking; Golf is arguably more popular than ever. Would that be the case is Tiger wasn't as amazingly epic as he is, or is golf just an institution that would succeed either way?
Old 06-15-2008, 06:33 PM   #49
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Tiger only one back, with a driveable par 4 next
Old 06-15-2008, 06:34 PM   #50
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

LETS GO ROCCO!!